Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Flagellum
Dec 23, 2011

spurdo av master race so what
They are only a few hundred clicks from Moscow...I'm surprised they are moving so fast. I guess this is what Putin had in mind when he started his dumb special operation aimed at Kiev. lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

drat, I honestly thought even Putin had better instincts than that.

Even Stalin realised he didn't dare flee Moscow in '41 or there'd probably be a general collapse.

Gotten old, judgement going, as if we needed further evidence after the Ukraine invasion.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

Even if his troops do put down the rebellion, Putin's still finished, isn't he? After all, for someone who constantly tries to project strength and control, an uprising this bad has to be his death knell, right?

Assad made a comeback from an even worse streak of bad luck. Never say never.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

NoiseAnnoys posted:

i can't speak for all of slavdom, but there's a fair amount of schadenfreude in seeing russia invade itself for once.

Uhh the last time wasn't THAT long ago.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

RDM posted:

Another slapfight between posting enemies has escaped the thread and now they're couping Moscow.

Mods?!
This is fine. :crackping:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

NoiseAnnoys posted:

i can't speak for all of slavdom, but there's a fair amount of schadenfreude in seeing russia invade itself for once.

Oh no, absolutely.

GABA ghoul posted:

But he had Poopin backing him. Who has his back, Pooh?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

bunnyofdoom posted:

I assume Candians means Canadians. Which uh, interesting company for us to be lumped with and also, of loving course our loving country is trying our hand at colonialism.

could be cadians too

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

If this does get put down the security services are going to go full purge and they're probably going to regret that.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I don't understand why russian planes aren't bombing the gently caress out of the column heading toward moscow. How is this.even possible?

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

Hey guys I think Putin gots this. This Wagner thing is no big deal.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Flagellum posted:

They are only a few hundred clicks from Moscow...I'm surprised they are moving so fast. I guess this is what Putin had in mind when he started his dumb special operation aimed at Kiev. lmao.

most of the higher ups in the southern district were too drunk to work because Wagner launched its attack on Friday night.

There aren't that many grunts left in russia itself too and theyre apparently joining with wagner.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

A leader who calls on others to lay down their lives for the nation but isn't fully prepared to die in the defense as well is a coward and a snake and has no business being there.

This is Zelensky's ultimate and final victory over Vladimir Putin.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Man Napoleon is probably kicking himself right now.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

spankmeister posted:

It's good to see some posters here come to the realization that yes, sometimes things are real in russia and not a "psyops" or "posturing for western audiences". This poo poo is real and it's happening right now.
Yeah I did not at all predict Prigozhin going literally rogue but I am definitely glad when a group of rando Russians just casually started conquering Russian cities that I immediately posted this was a loving apocalyptically huge deal and I now hope Prigozhin saw that exact thing too and was like "yo this gonna be easy lol"

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

All it takes now is one bodyguard pissed off that his brother was pointlessly killed in Ukraine

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

KingColliwog posted:

I don't understand why russian planes aren't bombing the gently caress out of the column heading toward moscow. How is this.even possible?

I mean there's a lot at play

Leadership squabbling, the fact that you're bombing your own infrastructure, the possibility of a general uprising if you miss and manage to kill your own people inside your own country, hell there could be a soft coup going on with lower ranking officers

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

taking major cities within hours, the president fleeing the capital, soldiers just joining the invaders.

Literally everything russia thought was going to happen with ukraine is happening to them right now

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Uhh the last time wasn't THAT long ago.

which time are you thinking about?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
https://i.imgur.com/GOlgiJl.mp4

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ninurta posted:

A Russian Khanate faction in a civil war? Nah, that's too outlandish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_von_Ungern-Sternberg

This dude was a real fucker. I'm not sure which side he'd support rn, probably keep trying to bring back the monarchy.

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Flagellum posted:

Someone estimated Wagner would be in Moscow in 3-4h.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

GABA ghoul posted:

propped up by wagner, though. and i don't see china swooping in to deal with this internal russian problem.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

Funky See Funky Do posted:

It's all so hosed up. To watch a nation potentially fall apart is such a bizarre experience given what I've been indoctrinated to believe about nation states.

The speed at which this is happening is blowing my mind.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Nowher posted:

I think speed is the most surprising thing about this

there should be absolutely no way a rebel group has a straight shot to the capital and yet somehow Wagner has managed this

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

taking major cities within hours, the president fleeing the capital, soldiers just joining the invaders.

Literally everything russia thought was going to happen with ukraine is happening to them right now

It's apparently always projection, every time, no exceptions, even when we don't realize it at the time.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Funky See Funky Do posted:

It's all so hosed up. To watch a nation potentially fall apart is such a bizarre experience given what I've been indoctrinated to believe about nation states.

A year ago I would've said the same thing referring to an actual full-blown invasion with a goal of annexation.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Nowher posted:

That's it though. The speed of what is happening?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

From Meduza:

Seems like Putin actually went to Tver

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oracular_statements_from_Delphi

quote:

n 560 BC, Croesus of Lydia, in a trial of oracles, consulted all the famous oracles as to what he was doing on an appointed day. According to Herodotus, the oracle proclaimed:

οἶδα δ'ἐγὼ ψάμμου τ᾽ ἀριθμὸν καὶ μέτρα θαλάσσης,
καὶ κωφοῦ συνίημι, καὶ οὐ φωνεῦντος ἀκούω.
ὀδμή μ᾽ ἐς φρένας ἦλθε κραταιρίνοιο χελώνης
ἑψομένης ἐν χαλκῷ ἅμ᾽ ἀρνείοισι κρέεσσιν,
ᾗ χαλκὸς μὲν ὑπέστρωται, χαλκὸν δ᾽ ἐπιέσται.[6]

[Translation: I know the number of the sand and the measure of the sea;
I understand the speech of the dumb and hear the voiceless.
The smell has come to my sense of a hard-shelled tortoise
being cooked with a lamb's flesh in a bronze pot:
bronze is the cauldron underneath, and bronze is the lid.]

Delphi was declared the winner. Croesus then asked if he should make war on the Persians and if he should take to himself any allied force. The oracles to whom he sent this question included those at Delphi and Thebes. Both oracles gave the same response, that if Croesus made war on the Persians, he would destroy a mighty empire. They further advised him to seek out the most powerful Greek peoples and make alliance with them.

Croesus paid a high fee to the Delphians and then sent to the oracle asking "Would his monarchy last long?" The Pythia answered:

ἀλλ᾽ ὅταν ἡμίονος βασιλεὺς Μήδοισι γένηται,
καὶ τότε, Λυδὲ ποδαβρέ, πολυψήφιδα παρ᾽ Ἕρμον
φεύγειν μηδὲ μένειν μηδ᾽ αἰδεῖσθαι κακὸς εἶναι.[7]

[Translation: Whenever a mule shall become sovereign king of the Medians,
then, Lydian Delicate-Foot, flee by the stone-strewn Hermus,
flee, and think not to stand fast, nor shame to be chicken-hearted.][8]

Croesus thought it impossible that a mule should be king of the Medes and thus believed that he and his issue would never be out of power. He thus decided to make common cause with certain Greek city-states and attack Persia.[8]

However, it was his empire, not that of the Persians, that was defeated, fulfilling the prophecy but not his interpretation of it. He apparently forgot that Cyrus, the victor, was half Mede (by his mother), half Persian (by his father), and therefore could be considered a "mule".[9]

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
lol they have all drunk the spicy tea, they just dont know it yet.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Amazing

Didn't even go to a remote command center, just went to his dacha

fullerene
Apr 29, 2022

ChubbyChecker posted:

could be cadians too

THE PLANET BROKE BEFORE TH- oh I'm sorry, wrong forums

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Barudak posted:

Putin appeals directly to Trump who calls him a loser and rebuffs him.

Trump doesn't even know Putin idk wtf you are talking about that guy sounds like a loser

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

peanut posted:

This dude was a real fucker. I'm not sure which side he'd support rn, probably keep trying to bring back the monarchy.

one of pelevin's many less-than-stellar judgement calls was turning this dude into a cool occult supporting character in a novel.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

KitConstantine posted:

Reminder that the hornets nest kicking we are seeing has global implications
https://twitter.com/notaterrornerd/status/1672558705026428928?t=XFUr7m7G4HCxgvtxZBcjhw&s=19
https://twitter.com/notaterrornerd/status/1672560298480357383?t=9SBMHgKcrPMhhX8taF4alg&s=19

(Tweeter is someone I've followed for a long time who's had some uhhh interesting travel gigs)

:stonklol:

I'm in loving awe that the Russian government was stupid enough to just let Prego become Big Boss

Holy loving poo poo, it just gets worse

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

You know what this loving reminds me of? loving ISIS. I mean, its a sudden, well-centralized rogue force suddenly popping up and sytheing its way through the weak core of an otherwise static conflict. It's even got the lovely toxic hyper-masculinity!

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

MegaZeroX posted:

From Meduza:

Seems like Putin actually went to Tver

Hmm, alright then, President Prigozhin it is. Here comes totalitarian neo-nazi nightmare society.

Hope everyone male under 50 has a bag-out bag and knows the shortest way to the border.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I really really really have to sleep.
What will I find in this thread tomorrow morning...?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

From Meduza:

quote:

According to a source close to the Russian military’s General Staff who spoke to the outlet iStories, Putin plans to have his security forces “eliminate” Yevgeny Prigozhin and to offer amnesty to all Wagner fighters.

The source said that the Russian military doesn’t have the strength to stop Prigozhin from reaching Moscow, and that it’s currently gathering troops from all units that aren’t currently on the front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Sure, the fighters are going to trust the offer of amnesty by the traitor tsar. It's to the death.