Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

ram dass in hell posted:

it didn't occur to me until now but if you cast the one ring and gain protection from everything, does that destroy any of the enchant player / aura curse things on you? seems like it ought to.

It does. All auras on you fall off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
well hey. that's neat.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

If your opponent doesn't have a way to exile it, at the bare minimum it staves off your loss for an entire turn and draws you three cards to deal with whatever is about to kill you, for 4 mana and 1 life.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

hastily checking which mill effects target and which do not

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Procrastinator posted:

hastily checking which mill effects target and which do not

I was watching an aspiring spike vid where he played the one ring against a mill player and noticed that one of the crabs target and one doesn't. The opponent had both in play so it effectively halved the mill amount for one turn.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I was watching an aspiring spike vid where he played the one ring against a mill player and noticed that one of the crabs target and one doesn't. The opponent had both in play so it effectively halved the mill amount for one turn.

As someone who plays enchantress in modern somewhat regularly (though not for awhile I suppose) this comes up a whole lot more than you'd expect for me. It's also interesting because it means one crab you just don't care about at all for your lock

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 23, 2023

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

does anyone remember this website that tracked how draft boxes have been collated since alpha? its mostly barebones html interspersed with pictures of the cards in their collation order

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Is there a set time Wotc reveals next years sets? Feel like the past couple years sets were at least a year ahead of time.

According to the wiki Eldraine is gonna be the 97th expansion set, so we should hit 100 sometime in the spring/summer of '24.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Is there a set time Wotc reveals next years sets?

They are almost certainly saving a ton of announcements for the combine Worlds/MagicCon Vegas.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Strong Sauce posted:

does anyone remember this website that tracked how draft boxes have been collated since alpha? its mostly barebones html interspersed with pictures of the cards in their collation order

https://www.lethe.xyz/mtg/collation/

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
judge!

I cast collective effort with escalate targeting my opponents Temporary Lockdown (which some creatures of mine exiled by it) while also choosing to put 1+ 1+ counters on creatures I control. Upon resolution, do the creatures coming back from exile also get the counters? They do right?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I think so. They go back on the battlefield immediately.

also:

7/13/2016 If you choose the first and third modes, and destroying the creature ends an "exile until" effect (such as that of Lunarch Inquisitors), the creature will return to the battlefield before you put +1/+1 counters on creatures. The same is true if you choose the second and third modes and destroying the enchantment ends such an effect.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

resistentialism posted:

also:

7/13/2016 If you choose the first and third modes, and destroying the creature ends an "exile until" effect (such as that of Lunarch Inquisitors), the creature will return to the battlefield before you put +1/+1 counters on creatures. The same is true if you choose the second and third modes and destroying the enchantment ends such an effect.

Yeah, my thoughts too. Had a pretty spirited "debate" about this one after a fairly big blowout by a well timed collective effort. I feel like the card hasn't ever been a bad card in my hand and its wild it doesn't seem more play in a few mainstream decks in pioneer.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Probably would want to make them describe for you exactly what part of the rules is delaying the creatures from coming back, since neither the "destroy" nor the lockdown effect depend on SBA, especially since wizards words these effects to not be O-rings precisely by making them not require SBA. There's no "kinda exactly like state base actions, but just for the duration of spells resolving" rule.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

thanks! this was it

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Strong Sauce posted:

thanks! this was it

:hai:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

resistentialism posted:

also:

This also makes sense because modal spells resolve in the written order of choices as well don't they? So you'd destroy the thing, resolve all state based actions associate with it, then resolve the next effect of the spell, and so on. Or at least my understanding is that.

Which is why you can fizzle a cryptic command that picks "Bounce target, Draw" by making the target invalid, thus not giving them a card iirc?

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jun 24, 2023

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Weird Pumpkin posted:

This also makes sense because modal spells resolve in the written order of choices as well don't they? So you'd destroy the thing, resolve all state based actions associate with it, then resolve the next effect of the spell, and so on. Or at least my understanding is that.

Which is why you can fizzle a cryptic command that picks "Bounce target, Draw" by making the target invalid, thus not giving them a card iirc?

They do resolve in order, but you don't check state-based effects in between. The exiled card returning has nothing to do with state-based effects - it just returns immediately when the effect that exiled it in the first place ends.

Spells fizzling when you make all the targets invalid has absolutely nothing to do with this.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Weird Pumpkin posted:

state based actions are not checked in the middle of resolving a spell. The official rule for when SBAs are checked is "Whenever a player would receive priority." For example, if you had a card that said "deal 20 damage to each creature, then target creature gets +20/+20," that creature would not die.

However, if you had a card that said "destroy all creatures, then target creature gains indestructible" that wouldn't work, because destroying creatures puts them in the graveyard directly and doesn't wait for SBAs like damage does. It's the same with "exile until." It just happens immediately as soon as the condition is filled.

You fizzle cryptic because it's a spell that lost its targets before it resolved, so it is countered by the game rules when it would resolve. It's nothing to do with state based actions.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Oh I see! I stand corrected

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
:orb: :orb: :orb: :orb: :orb: :orb: :orb: :orb: :orb:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dDLQkg5O1o
:orb: :orb: :orb: :orb: :orb: :orb: :orb: :orb: :orb:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Went and played in a Legacy tourney where top prize was an Underground Sea. Borrowed a Grixis ANT list. Went 0-3 drop, losing to Vial once and Cephalid Breakfast twice, misplayed SEVERAL times, and basically wasted $50. But I also traded for a bunch of shocks I didn't have and got to see friends I haven't seen in literally a decade.

All in all stunning experience. Play Magic, game is good.

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 25, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Breakfast is real loving good

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

ilmucche posted:

Breakfast is real loving good

I was gonna play it until I found out how many parts I didn't have. (Most of them.)

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I played Breakfast Blade for a proxy Legacy event eons ago. BB being where you'd side out the combo for postboard games. I liked it because the sideboarding was literally binary, either I kept the combo package or I slotted in the blade package. Looking at a recent list the boarding seems nightmarish.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I mean, who doesn’t want to own two thousand dollars in tundras?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Speaking of legacy, I'm playing in a big legacy tournament today (ELM qualifier, expected 80-100+ players), me on Temur Delver because I couldn't get any Bowmasters in time to play Grixis v:shobon:v 1st place Trop, 2nd place Badlands for a 20€ buyin. Any interest in a tournament report?

The paper legacy scene is really good where I live, we've got two monthly events with 50+ players and decent prizes, one in my city and one an hour away. Format is gas right now, I also got the stuff for 5C Zenith but I haven't played the deck in paper yet and my leagues with it so far didn't go well enough for me to play it at a high stakes event with confidence. 4c Control would have been my third option but I'm not sure I want to spend that kind of mental energy in a tournament with 7-8 rounds plus a potential top 8. Breakfast and Stoneblade are on my radar as well, picking up bits and pieces for them whenever I have an opportunity to do so.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 25, 2023

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Sounds like fun, trip report would be cool! I miss playing Magic with friends most are currently really into the new iteration of VS.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Definitely post a trip report. It's nice to hear about the meta and stuff elsewhere. Debating if I want to bother with our ELM qualifier coming up. It's nice to play a bigger tourney but paying even more to go 2-4 kind of sucks

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

We're 80 players, just beat Elves 2-0 in the first round. Will report later.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

legacy is extremely good and I wish I had high level tournies near me

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Sickening posted:

I mean, who doesn’t want to own two thousand dollars in tundras?

I used to have $500 in Underground Seas and now they're almost $4000.

The lesson here is Never Sell.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

5-1 going into the last round of Swiss, not sure if I'd want to draw into top 8 since prizes are paid out after Swiss rankings and I'm not sure if I'd be able to attend the Masters. Definitely have some things to talk about later though!

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Went to an RCQ for pioneer yesterday. Capped at 32 people - 2 bids because it is a WPN Premium store. I played Rakdos Sac.

Round 1 - Rakdos Sac Mirror. I am on draw. Game 1 I drew way more 3 drops (Fable and Mayhem devil) and my opponent had very little chance. Game 2 my opponent had less life but thought he would stabilize with a Reflection of Kiki-Jiki and Bloodtithe Harvester. I had been saving 2 claims in my hand for when he had no way to sac his creatures - which it finally was. Grabbed both, copied his own harvester to make a blood token. Was then able to sac his and my copy of Bloodtithe Harvest to kill his kiki-jikki and another creature, giving me a 3-for-2 and letting me push all my damage through. He had one life, but conceded since I had a mayhem devil out. 1-0, 2-0.

round 2 - Another rakdos sac mirror. There are lots of spirits players around, some humans, but probably 5 people on Sac too. I am on the play this time. Game 1 not sure what happened, I never got below 18 life looking at my notes, but was repeatedly doming my opponent. Game 2 - I was able to destroy. A lot of people take out thoughtseize in the mirror, but I just take one out. If you are able to get rid of a mayhem devil or fable of the mirror breaker it is so good. My opponent kept a hand with 5 lands, fatal push and fable of the mirror breaker. Once I took fable he was stuck with the worst hand ever, had to buy jegantha to hand on turn 3. I was able to just amass huge board and compeltely overwhelm but it iddi end up taking a long time since he eventually drew into cat/oven. 2-0, 4-0 and number one seed. I probably just need to win one more of next two to get top 8.

Round 3- mono green, play. Game 1 I only get him down to 12 life before he combos out, kept a fine hand in blind, but probably not good for mono green. Game 2 I kill an elf turn one, thoughtseize old-growth troll and he is stuck with just 2 Karns and 1 transmogifying wand in hand. I am able to run over. He can play a Karn when at 11 life but can only fetch a darksteel citadel as land for turn so I had lethal. Game 3 we both mulled to six. I kept a one lander, but lots of one drops I could play and provide pressure. I think this was a mistake, no land. I am in the game more than you think, but nowhere near enough. I should have mulled this. His hand was not very quick. 2-1, 5-2, number 4 seed, top ranked of all 2-1.

Round 4 - Izzet Gearhulk Creativity. Draw. Game 1 I have a lot of pressure but eventually overwhelmed by his torrential gearhulk into Magma Opus. I had him down to six life, but he eventually hard cast a second magma opus to tap my defenders, do 4 damage to face, and attack with Torrential Gearhulk. I had 9 life, so killed me with exactsies. Game 2 is very close, he eventually is empty handed and starts Hall of the Storm Giants beats after I have taken a lot of his hand with thoughtseize/duress. I am activating den of bug bear to get chump blockers the following turn, but he is able to knock me from 13 to 6 one turn, so another swing will take me out. I have 8 lands in play, but opponent is tapped out with no cards in hand. I end up attacking with den, saccing the den to Ob Nix, adversary and am able to up tick him twice to get last card in hand and do last 2 damage to him. Round 3 I was getting 2-for-1 with prismari command twice, and then gearhulk. I ended game with opponent at 19 and me with 5 cards in hand. 2-2, 6-4.

Round 5 starts and looking at standings we have: 2 3-0-1, 6 3-1-0, and then I am in 9th at 2-2. Unfortunately all of the top 8 drew and I had no chance. Bad beats, but really sucked. Have more chances, but no other rcq's with so few people and two bids sadly.

edit: Good luck Katana Gomai!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Rakdos Sac looks fun, I really want to win with Cat + Oven. Now I see that it might be making waves in Modern thanks to Samwise? I have to see which format is more popular around here.

Daughter opened a cracked sealed pool and now she doesn't want to play anything else other than 40-cards so she can use her "unbeatable deck". I convinced her to play Jumpstart 2022 (my LGS was mercifully out of LotR Jumpstart) and she got the mythic Rat which let her attack with seven 9/9 Rat tokens. I'm going to bring her whenever I draft and have her open my packs, she only opens bombs.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape
Sméagol landfall has been pretty fun in historic brawl. Glad I actually had 9 uncommon wildcards so I could run all the different Nazgûl arts. My first build attempt was basically aristocrats, but switching over to Nazgûl and a bunch of other ring tempting cards made it much better at both ramping and actually doing stuff earlier. Last few games I’ve ended up with lands of all five types, almost makes me want to include some domain payoffs.

Most games are against four-color Aragorn goodstuff, or Sauron control. Seeing a bunch of the uncommon LOTR legends occasionally. Seems like the set has done a decent job of mixing up the brawl meta game, even the two overplayed ones have “at least it’s not Atraxa” going for them.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
going back a couple pages to card kingdom chat, but the threat of a move has been hanging over employees' heads for a long time. and the worst part is, card pickers are begging for a move! ck acquired the building next door claiming it would become the new inventory space, but then converted it into offices. they rent a warehouse across the street, but it's all overstock and below-good cards. it';s a drat warehouse full of 200,000 honey mammoths. in early 2019 employees were told that eldraine would be the last set to fit in the current inventory space. when i was there in 2021, employees would spend full shifts just consolidating sets to make another half of a longbox available, then the next shift would come in and they'd be told to undo the work of the previous shift. people got written up for complaining about this lmao. the space has been too small for almost half a decade, but everyone was just begging to move somewhere in the neighborhood (not an impossible ask) and management just refused to acknowledge it as a problem

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh my god the idea of paying people.back and forth to undo eachothers work. I used to think Card Kingdom was more expensive because maybe they paid employees better or had their poo poo together and didn't cut the corners TCG did. Also curious why they could even use warehouse expansion space as offices, seems like the overwhelming majority of space and work there is mailing cards?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I would only ever give card kingdom money if I were buying some a legacy card and I didn't want to gamble on my tcgplayer seller trying to sell me a fake. Otherwise, buying from them is rather pointless as an online seller and offer little to no advantages to you as a customer otherwise.

It also seems like they have some boomer ownership/leadership who haven't adapted to the times. You can't store your honey mammoths in premium $$ warehouse space. Your honey mammoths need to be in cheaper , long term storage where you might have a chance to get a return on their investment someday.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol

Khanstant posted:

Oh my god the idea of paying people.back and forth to undo eachothers work. I used to think Card Kingdom was more expensive because maybe they paid employees better or had their poo poo together and didn't cut the corners TCG did. Also curious why they could even use warehouse expansion space as offices, seems like the overwhelming majority of space and work there is mailing cards?

marketing, IT, hr, executives, cafe/store management, all sorts of offices. it was a weird space that they adapted, and making it into the card space would probably have involved some renovating. the whole thing is still profoundly stupid, though--when kamigawa came out i spent an entire week just condensing afr backstock.