Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

drat I just realized

The whole Russian army is maybe like 250,000 strong right now and Wagner is 25,000?

Putin might have to do an honest to god Roman Decimation for the first time in 2000 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

Is Putin planning to let Wagner besiege Moscow, and then counterattack and crush the rebellion later?

That's a loving awful plan. You are letting your capital city fall while you drink wine in Tver?

There's a scene from the show Rome that feels extremely appropriate right now.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

"Washington DC prepares for siege by Blackwater driving south from Virginia, Trump flees to Mar a Lago"

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009
https://twitter.com/DarthPutinKGB/status/1672505357397118976?t=0xwD1C6ukjc5vdXoDEyvUw&s=19

Ukraine War: The dildo of consequences rarely arrives lubed

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Seth Pecksniff posted:

So P takes Moscow and then...

You really can't necessarily come back from a rebel army taking your capital. It's like a death sentence for any nation
My guess:

Install some puppet interim president -> make a power sharing deal with power brokers in the security forces and economy -> constitutional reform & and a sham election to permanently install some wet blanket puppet president

Doubt Prigozhin can be president, but he probably can secure himself some nominal title and rule from the second line, like Putin did with Medvedev. Moscow will never be without a battalion of Pretorian Wagner forces with heavy weapons stationed there.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

MegaZeroX posted:

From Meduza:

context on a map:

looks like they are on the northern end of Lipetsk now

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

theghostpt posted:

Ukraine War: The dildo of consequences rarely arrives lubed

Captain Stalin
May 11, 2004

Have no fear, the Captain is here!
So how long is it estimated until Pig Boss is at Moscow?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

B-Rock452 posted:

What are you talking about, St. Petersburg is the capital. Always has been. What is this Moscow you are talking about

"That place? No that was always an unihabitated swamp. Who would live there?"

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Seth Pecksniff posted:

You really can't necessarily come back from a rebel army taking your capital. It's like a death sentence for any nation

I imagine that's kind of the calculation they're making beyond success. If they die, their killers aren't far behind. If Putin can't defend Moscow what use is he?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Tankie cope is off the charts. Calling Putin a lib, comparing Moscow's population to Wagner's unit size, etc. just primo :discourse:

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Captain Stalin posted:

So how long is it estimated until Pig Boss is at Moscow?

Depending on stuff, three hours or so.

Lots of stuff tho.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

B-Rock452 posted:

What are you talking about, St. Petersburg is the capital. Always has been. What is this Moscow you are talking about

We joke but they lied when a loving invasion came over their border

He's gonna do this

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
:siren: MOD PSA PLEASE READ :siren:

It's absolutely great and lol worthy that Putin is being hoisted by his own petard. It rules, not going to lie

HOWEVER

do not go into other threads in other forums on here to dunk on people, no matter how fun that may seem, because the same poo poo is going to happen here and then it'll be a whole thing

Thank you

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

I hope the anti Putin rebels up North are feeling emboldened by this turn of events. Assuming they are still there.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Terminally Bored posted:

Tankie cope is off the charts. Calling Putin a lib, comparing Moscow's population to Wagner's unit size, etc. just primo :discourse:

Yes. Moscovites are going to all suddenly decide that they care enough about politics to attempt to fight off a massive group of heavily armed mercenaries with, ummm, rocks or something I guess.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
Uh...

Roadblocks are up...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

pro starcraft loser posted:

I hope the anti Putin rebels up North are feeling emboldened by this turn of events. Assuming they are still there.

Serious question: who?

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

pro starcraft loser posted:

They are happy af:
https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1672593941294637056

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

The security services could well decide they are feeling apolitical too, once actual tanks roll into view. Especially if the boss is out of town.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Cable Guy posted:

Uh...

Roadblocks are up...

Maybe letting Pig Boss run your war effort and know where all your troops and good poo poo are was a bad idea

Idk, just me?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Welcome to all the soon-to-be tankies switching sides to support Ukraine on their upcoming invasion of Russia to denazify it, which I am sure the tankies will happily do and will happen in the real world

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

:discourse:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

RunningOnEmpty posted:

woke up this morning, and i didn't think i'd be watching russia invade it self. Just goes to show, huh.

Life comes at you pretty fast

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Randarkman posted:

There's a scene from the show Rome that feels extremely appropriate right now.

Lol, already had that same thought and watched it earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCc67pn98Q8

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Bug Squash posted:

The security services could well decide they are feeling apolitical too, once actual tanks roll into view. Especially if the boss is out of town.

Oh... for sure. Especially since Wagner hasn't shown any signs of engaging in combat since they crossed the border unless attacked.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
lmao, communist thoughts and prayers

https://twitter.com/upholdreality/status/1672595834360266754

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

Seth Pecksniff posted:

If you capture a capital you get the country, those are the rules

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

Deptfordx posted:

Isn't there supposed to be a Kadyrov relief column rushing towards Moscow?

Any news on that

Also maximum 'comedy' option. Kadyrov decides 'Welp. Good time to launch my coup attempt'.

*Shoigu pulls down his ski mask and crawls through the window like it's noises off*

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
Has Roger Waters thought of a way to blame this on NATO yet?

Set
Oct 30, 2005

KitConstantine posted:

:sickos:
https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1672536930725117952?t=rDZAosvzMITMk0g5PTq_4A&s=19

Full tweet text:

A call to overthrow Lukashenko regime:

"Either we take this historic chance, or we will lose everything," Valery Sakhashchyk, founder of the 1st Airmobile Battalion within the Ukrainian Armed Forces and head of the National Security Department within the United Transitional Cabinet of Democratic Forces in Belarus, appealed to the Belarusian military.

Great to see you posting again!

This is also the perfect opportunity for me to actually finish translating this text I've had on the backburner for a month at least. It is about the Belarusians fighting on behalf of Ukraine, and they may very well play a part in what will happen in Belarus in the near future, especially considering with all the probable knock-on effects with the uncertainty going on in Russia at the moment.

The usual disclaimer: This is a news article with no shocking images, but clicking through to the news service or any contained links may have content that some goons may find bad.

Author: Antti Kuronen
Release date: 15.03.23
Link to untranslated article: https://yle.fi/a/74-20022362

quote:

A secret headquarters on the outskirts of Kiev houses soldiers and stores ammunition - Yle got to know the Belarusian regiment

The ultimate goal of the soldiers from Belarus is to return to their homeland and oust Alexander Lukashenko's regime.

KYIV The industrial building's corridors have a variety of rooms. Ammunition is stored in some, others are used for sleeping.

This building on the outskirts of Kyiv is the headquarters of the Kastuś Kalinoŭski regiment, the domain of the Belarusians.

In the yard, the soldiers who have recently joined the unit practice advancing in terrain.

When the Russian offensive began a year ago, many Belarusians wanted to join the defense of Ukraine.

There were so many of them that the Belarusians founded their own regiment. The goal is to beat the Russians in Ukraine and then free Belarus from the autocratic president.

- If Russia succeeded in occupying Ukraine, the liberation of Belarus would no longer be possible. That's why we fight alongside the Ukrainians, says unit commander Denis 'Kit' Prohorov.

Hundreds of Belarusian fighters

Prohorov came to Ukraine already in 2014, when Russia started a hybrid war against Ukraine in eastern Ukraine. He was only 19 years old.

When the Russian offensive began in February of last year, he wanted to participate in the defense of Ukraine.

There were so many Belarusian volunteers that they were able to form their own regiment.

- There are more than three hundred of us. I would say hundreds, but not thousands. I don't want to say more about that, says Prohorov.

The unit is named after a Belarusian revolutionary. At the end of the 19th century, Kastuś Kalinoŭski was involved in organizing an unsuccessful uprising against the Russian occupiers in Belarus.

Most of the soldiers in the unit do not want their faces in public. It would endanger the safety of their relatives in Belarus.

Prohorov says that the danger is real. In Belarus, relatives have been arrested and they have lost their jobs.

- The Belarusian KGB also tried to infiltrate our unit.

Involved in the toughest battles

Soldiers of the regiment participate alongside the Ukrainians in the toughest battles. Now the main part of the troops is in Bakhmut.

They come to Kyiv to train and rest. Now there are also new arrivals at the base who are practicing fighting skills. One of them has come all the way from Alaska.

- I lived a comfortable life in Alaska, but my former homeland called, the man says.

On the side of the field, 22-year-old Oskar watches the action. He doesn't need to practice soldiery.

He has just received the medal of bravery of the military intelligence of Ukraine.

- I have been at the front a lot. Among other things, I was with foreign fighters because I know English. I got the medal for these operations, Oskar says without revealing too much.

The soldiers are united by the dream of a democratic Belarus. Most have fled Lukashenko's terror.

Oskar took part in large protests in 2020. Like many protesters, he fled to Ukraine when the Belarusian authorities started arresting activists.

- I am eternally grateful that I can live freely in Ukraine. My duty is to defend my other country. After this, we can try to free Belarus from Alexander Lukashenko's dictatorship.

Lukashenko kills to stay in power

There are many in Kastuś Kalinoŭski's regiment who have left Belarus only after the start of the Russian offensive in February of last year. The unit has a recruitment office in Warsaw, the capital of Poland.

According to Prohorov, new members join the unit all the time. Many left Belarus because Alexander Lukashenko is Russia's main ally in the war of aggression.

Nobody in the base has anything positive to say about Lukashenko. According to Prohorov, Lukashenko's administration is holding Belarus hostage in cooperation with Russia.

- Lukashenko cannot live without power. He kills people to stay in power. He has been doing that since the 1990s. The year 2020 showed everyone what kind of tyrant he is, says Prohorov.

The goal is a democratic Belarus

Alexander Lukashenko has ruled Belarus since 1994. His official title is president, but democratic elections are not held in the country.

There have been several peaceful protest movements in Belarus, but they have not succeeded in overthrowing Lukashenko.

Prohorov does not want to specify what his vision is for the liberation of Belarus.

- We are now gathering experience on how we can defend ourselves militarily. It is important. The goal is a democratic Belarus.

The languages ​​of Ukraine and Belarus are close. The regions belonged to the Grand Duchy of Lithuania before Russia became a great power.

- When I went to school, I was taught that Russians are our brothers. In Ukraine, I have understood that Ukrainians are our brothers, not Russians. We are trying to nurture this connection, says Prokhorov.

The operation of the regiment runs largely on donations, even though it operates under the Ukrainian Defense Forces.

According to Prohorov, the Belarusian diaspora in particular has generously supported the activity.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/leventkemaI/status/1672595767775707138?s=20 Kadyrovites are closing in on Rostov

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Hey Russia would you like to join NATO maybe?

Presto change-o “we are European actually” swap real quick?

Looks like you might need it suddenly

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1672578805842563073

Everything is fine, Putin certainly isn't booking it ASAP for South America.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

If they are actually going in for a fight, stay safe civilians. It looks like people are still generally just milling about.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

are these guys the instagram warriors who are always fighting empty buildings

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

They are going to stand around importantly just outside of Wagner's range and do everything in their power to avoid any danger.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Serious question: who?

There were some Russian separatists that crossed the border from Ukraine into Russia and took a small town a couple weeks ago. Haven't heard much since so I don't know the current situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

This is what happens when you full on scorched earth in Risk, attacking everything possible regardless of the odds to try and expand as much as possible, except you don’t control the +2 unit bonus from owning all Australia with a huge protective contingent on Siam, so the blowback is fast and painful