Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Davros1 posted:

Listened to Master!: Nemesis Express, and this was all kinds of messed up:

The Master revealed that the consciousness of the person whose body he's in (aka Bruce the Paramedic), still inhabits the body. The Master has just suppressed him to the depths of his mind. And he's continually screaming in horror.

This is making me think of the power of the doctor and how when he did that to thirteen he called it the master’s dalek plan and i think i just gave myself a stomach ulcer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I was listening to the Rewatchables episode on Last Crusade, and they claimed that one of the backup choices to play Henry Jones Sr if Connery told them to gently caress off was Jon Pertwee. And none of the hosts had a loving clue who he was. :(

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

howe_sam posted:

I was listening to the Rewatchables episode on Last Crusade, and they claimed that one of the backup choices to play Henry Jones Sr if Connery told them to gently caress off was Jon Pertwee. And none of the hosts had a loving clue who he was. :(

One of my pet peeves in podcasts is when none of them know something prevalent to the discussion and they just go round and round continuing to not know it, rather than quickly look it up.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Davros1 posted:

Listened to Master!: Nemesis Express, and this was all kinds of messed up:

The Master revealed that the consciousness of the person whose body he's in (aka Bruce the Paramedic), still inhabits the body. The Master has just suppressed him to the depths of his mind. And he's continually screaming in horror.

The entire body hopping era of the Master is pure body horror, with him stealing bodies, only for them to always return to the decayed one sooner or later (Tremas and Bruce being the ones he managed to keep for the longest).

And You Will Obey Me is especially creepy in this regard.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

BF revealed that the upcoming Diary of River Song boxset will the last one. Bit disappointed; I really liked that series. Plus we never got proper meetings between her and the First and Second Doctors (and Nine as well).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I assume Kingston will keep coming back to BF if they ask her, so likely she’ll continue to turn up in stories. Just not her own series.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Open Source Idiom posted:

No, I don't think they do, but it's been a while. If I recall correctly the implication is that Japan (and Cambodia) were both colonised by different castes of the same alien collective, and they're the ones who gave various Asian cultures their cultural heritage.

The Benny play with Egypt is closer to what you'd hope for. Egypt already has a thriving culture, including access to interstellar travel(!?), before the Osirians turned up and usurped the local culture.

There's also a play that said that Indigenous Australian culture, including native flora and fauna, was explicitly brought here by an alien terraforming device. When the planet was under threat (I think it might be same solar flare incident that's part of the backstory for Ark In Space and The Sontaran Experiment, though that might be fanon) the alien terraformjng device reabsorbed all indigenous culture and launched itself back into space.

That terraforming device? Uluru

That second one is Dreamtime I think, which is one of the first Big Finish stories I heard. It's not great on a number of levels.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, Dreamtime left a bad taste in my mouth, it's kind of patronizing and also if I recall correctly the only actual Aborigine character who appears in the entire audio is played by a white guy, and despite being supposedly a figure of power/near-deity he basically has to beg the Doctor for help to save him. I think the intention was to try and pay tribute to Aboriginal culture and traditions but it feels very much like lipservice, and basically I felt slightly off the entire time I was listening to it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Plus it was a way for the author to shoehorn his bird aliens from Sandman into another story where they added basically nothing

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Fil5000 posted:

Plus it was a way for the author to shoehorn his bird aliens from Sandman into another story where they added basically nothing

This was a period when BF was interested in creating recurring species and other bits of lore, so I think that's pretty cool tbh. Better than Daleks for the millionth time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Better than Daleks for the millionth time.

Nick Briggs having to be physically restrained at the BF Studios as we speak.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

He's sitting mutinously out on the lawn with Peter Capaldi, whose pile of Chumbly scripts has finally dwarfed him in height

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Dreamtime also had a big narrative issue - it's Hex's first TARDIS trip, and a companion's reaction to it sets up a lot of their character development. It's incoherent as to what is going on and Hex ends up having very little to actually do.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

OldMemes posted:

Dreamtime also had a big narrative issue - it's Hex's first TARDIS trip, and a companion's reaction to it sets up a lot of their character development. It's incoherent as to what is going on and Hex ends up having very little to actually do.

I re-read my write-up on it to remind me of some of the finer details and I had completely forgotten that the Doctor set things up so that he'd have somebody with a strong emotional connection to help ground/anchor him at a pivotal point so he chose Hex..... even though Ace was also there :psyduck:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Nick Briggs having to be physically restrained at the BF Studios as we speak.

Can they physically restrain him from writing any more scripts?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Can they physically restrain him from writing any more scripts?

He does that to himself.

The slipped release schedule that man is responsible for the past few years, ay.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

OldMemes posted:

Yeah that's a huge shame as I bloody loved Hex's initial reactions to everything in The Harvest are fun. Dan Abnett wrote a fun story there.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I had a listen to two stories that were remakes/adaptation of Audio Visual stories. I've not listened to the originals.

Cuddlesome was about an invasion by toys from a short lived 80s fad. It felt very nu-who with the pacing, and its always interesting to hear the Fifth Doctor solo every now again, without any companions.

Last of the Titans is a fairly simple story - the Seventh Doctor lands on a derelict space ship piloted by a cloned caveman, and has to make a moral choice. The Devon accents are a bit hit or miss, but Sylvester McCoy plays it as the older, more melancholy version of the character, and the mix of narration and acting goes well.

For free short stories, they were pretty well done.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Never saw the TV original, but I really enjoy BF's Star Cops series.

Space: 1999 is pretty good too.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Is Big Finish's The Prisoner stuff any good?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Matinee posted:

Is Big Finish's The Prisoner stuff any good?

It's loving weird. It also gives a definitive reason to why Six was in The Village, and a really bizarre conclusion about a device that allows minds to be body swapped

For clarification: I have never seen the original series.

Callan is really good too.

edit: Oh, and their The Avengers lines are great fun too.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 1, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Davros1 posted:

Never saw the TV original, but I really enjoy BF's Star Cops series.

I heard the evil union episode was dire.

Which I guess was expected given the author's ex military intelligence.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I heard the evil union episode was dire.

Which I guess was expected given the author's ex military intelligence.

Not really; just listened to that yesterday. Unless one thinks all Union bosses are upstanding people who would never get involved with the mob.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Davros1 posted:

It's loving weird. It also gives a definitive reason to why Six was in The Village, and a really bizarre conclusion about a device that allows minds to be body swapped

Your spoiler was in the original series. It was a really weird episode where they had to shoot when McGoohan wasn't available so they just had another actor play his character and say they had been brain swapped.

I think every follow up to The Prisoner has been disappointing in someway.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Davros1 posted:

That's weird. The original series uses that in an actual episode.

The original series ends on a batshit insane psychedelic nonsense explanation, which is great as if there was a normal explanation one it would not be as good as you think.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 1, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

happyhippy posted:

That's weird. The original series uses that in an actual episode.

The original series ends on a batshit insane psychedelic nonsense explanation, which is great as if there was one it would not be as good as you think.

The scene in the last episode where they're partying on the truck(?) after escaping is just pure joyful perfection :allears:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Thanks guys, for reminding me I'm overdue for a rewatch of The Prisoner :)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I actually did a Prisoner rewatch when I bought the Blu-Ray, but stalled out once the only episodes left were McGoohan and Leo McKern shouting "Six!" at each other for an age, and the finale. Which, sure, has to be seen to be believed, but even so...

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Payndz posted:

I actually did a Prisoner rewatch when I bought the Blu-Ray, but stalled out once the only episodes left were McGoohan and Leo McKern shouting "Six!" at each other for an age, and the finale. Which, sure, has to be seen to be believed, but even so...

Yeah, I absolutely love that the Prisoner ends in a batshit crazy way, props to all of them to follow their bliss but at the same time, I'm like "something with a bit more sense wouldn't hurt either".

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4hWnOnuMEU&t=322s

Someone compiled the Camden night filming footage and basically assembled one of the scenes from episode 1, Fourteen meeting Donna and Rose and the sonic showing off some new features.

I'm not too keen on that last part; the sonic's already a do-everything object and I kinda sorta get why JNT killed it back in the day

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

The sonic is really best used when the Doctor needs some info to move the plot along.

This month, City of Spires is discounted on the Big Finish website, so I grabbed it.

It's an interesting premise: The Sixth Doctor meets an older version of Jamie who doesn't remember the events of The Highlanders, and stumble onto a plan to steal Scotland's oil several hundred years earlier, and a strange, futuristic city in Scotland. Frazer Hines and Colin Baker bounce off each other very well, and Hines slips into an older version of the character very well. Georgia Moffat shows up in a non-Jenny role and does a good job. You also get to hear Baker do a 'bad-on-purpose' accent as the Doctor tries to bluff a redcoat, which is always fun.

This is the start of a trilogy, and I do already know the twist, so you can see it being set up here. Plus I got to learn a little more about a part of British history that I didn't know too much about.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I thought they were all available on spotify :o

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

OldMemes posted:

The sonic is really best used when the Doctor needs some info to move the plot along.

This month, City of Spires is discounted on the Big Finish website, so I grabbed it.

It's an interesting premise: The Sixth Doctor meets an older version of Jamie who doesn't remember the events of The Highlanders, and stumble onto a plan to steal Scotland's oil several hundred years earlier, and a strange, futuristic city in Scotland. Frazer Hines and Colin Baker bounce off each other very well, and Hines slips into an older version of the character very well. Georgia Moffat shows up in a non-Jenny role and does a good job. You also get to hear Baker do a 'bad-on-purpose' accent as the Doctor tries to bluff a redcoat, which is always fun.

This is the start of a trilogy, and I do already know the twist, so you can see it being set up here. Plus I got to learn a little more about a part of British history that I didn't know too much about.

I actually just listened to this one not so long ago! Jamie being in it rules of course, but the story was kind of weird in how a lot of stuff in it seemed to go nowhere and the resolution was just kinda.... not really there?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

armpit_enjoyer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4hWnOnuMEU&t=322s

Someone compiled the Camden night filming footage and basically assembled one of the scenes from episode 1, Fourteen meeting Donna and Rose and the sonic showing off some new features.

I'm not too keen on that last part; the sonic's already a do-everything object and I kinda sorta get why JNT killed it back in the day

I'm honestly not sure what new abilities it's showing off?

I can't really parse what that video is showing?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The actual shot stuff it seems to have captured basically looks like Donna doing shopping/deliveries, and Rose (I didn't imagine that name, right?) and the Doctor looking at something in the sky that the Doctor waves the sonic at. Most of the video is just the actors arriving to set, some crew set up etc

Edit: God I am so desperate for new Doctor Who :gonk:

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Jerusalem posted:

Edit: God I am so desperate for new Doctor Who :gonk:

We're so close and so far away from new doctor who at the same time.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I actually just listened to this one not so long ago! Jamie being in it rules of course, but the story was kind of weird in how a lot of stuff in it seemed to go nowhere and the resolution was just kinda.... not really there?

It's a trilogy of stories, so the plot points carry over into the next two.

The twist is, that the Doctor is actually in The Land of Fiction again, and this isn't Jamie, but a construct based on him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I need to catch up on my Big Finish listening!

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm honestly not sure what new abilities it's showing off?

I can't really parse what that video is showing?

He’s waving his hands in the air like he’s using one of those floating holographic screens from the MCU or whatever after using the sonic, which, why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I reserve judgement to not hate something until after I know what I'm looking at.