Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I think it’s pretty clear they’ve been working towards adding more canon lore/story/whatever to Stellaris recently. It isn’t there yet obviously and that’ll probably never be the focus on the game but if a spin-off can add a bit to that I understand why they might want to. Plus Stellaris is a very recognizable name that I’m sure will help sell copies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Stellaris Nexus uses “Stellaris” because it’s the bigger brand than “Nexus” or something else newly minted. Star Trek Infinite or whatever uses “Star Trek” because it’s the bigger brand than “Stellaris”, but also probably because zero point nothing of the Stellaris lore will be present.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The Stellaris lore is ripe for expansion, it’s much less well-developed than the lore of other Paradox games like Hearts of Iron.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The whole point of Stellaris was supposed to be that each generated universe was supposed to feel unique and special, the idea of the game having any sort of "lore" is kind of absurd from first premises considering the attempts made to explicitly avoid that outcome.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

The whole point of Stellaris was supposed to be that each generated universe was supposed to feel unique and special, the idea of the game having any sort of "lore" is kind of absurd from first premises considering the attempts made to explicitly avoid that outcome.

Except there's a bunch of constants that do have distinct lore.
MSI, Leviathans, Precursors, Grey Goo, Ether Drakes, Khans, etc.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Pirate Radar posted:

The Stellaris lore is ripe for expansion, it’s much less well-developed than the lore of other Paradox games like Hearts of Iron.

Hearts of Iron lore like Keiserreich and TNO

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think my main critique of Stellaris Nexus is that the game should probably give you some better ways to curate your deck if they're going to use that to determine your actions that aren't moving fleets around- some kind of trashing mechanic would be nice. That's the main difference, mechanically, from TI, other than stuff that's sort of unique to being on the computer. Twilight Imperium uses Puerto Rico style role selection, which was unique back when it came out, and seems kinda quaint playing it nowadays.

And yeah it is a 1-2 hour game.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Anyone try the Pegasus Expedition, the new "narrative based 4x" on steam?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jun 21, 2023

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Anyone try the Pegasus Expedition, the new "narrative based 4x" on steam?

I tried many times to get into it, but can never really get past the opening chapter. The pacing is horrendously slow, it takes way too many turns of sitting around waiting for income then even longer to have your ships repaired and built. There seems to be a lot of systems there, like diplomacy, colony development and research, but I simply can't get that far due to the pacing.

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Pirate Radar posted:

Isn't that just.. history?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

TitusGroen posted:

Isn't that just.. history?

:thejoke:

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Honestly these days online, who the gently caress knows what is and isn’t

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jack Trades posted:

Except there's a bunch of constants that do have distinct lore.
MSI, Leviathans, Precursors, Grey Goo, Ether Drakes, Khans, etc.
The core problem with stellaris is it refuses to pick a (hyper)lane and middle of the roads everything to the worst of both worlds. The default empires (une etc) being hard locked to "sometimes spawn" is one of the best examples of this attitude and of the problems with it.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Anyway, Nexus uses fixed factions, kinda like Twilight Imperium, though i wish it had more of them, perhaps in the full release they'll have like 18 instead of 6.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Played a couple hours of Stellaris Nexus last night and enjoyed it for what it is.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Played a four-player multiplayer game of Stellaris: Nexus this afternoon. One neighbor immediately sent a chat ping claiming a system adjacent to my starting system (out in narnia for him). The result was a game-long war that left the bugs free to win after they curbstomped their own 1v1 and held nexus for half the game. I still got second place - and the greedmaster I was fighting all game ragequit.

So yeah, pretty much identical to a Twilight Imperium game. Except this took around an hour.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I wonder if they’ll add lore to Cities: Skylines next

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
It's hardly impossible. There's weird background flavour weirdness with Cook Serve Delicious, after all. And Simcity 200 and 3000 had those newpapers/ricker tape things. Semi silly, but it can happen. Building a world through anecdotes.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
At the risk of opening up the ai/lore can of worms again...

The Simcity 2000 newspapers would be a ripe playground for ChatGPT functionality

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

They wouldn't be nearly as funny or humorous.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Galaga Galaxian posted:

They wouldn't be nearly as funny or humorous.

But what if the ai wrote the civ 6 quotes, or all of Beyond Earth?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Well, it would sound more human and have more personality, but I'm not sure those games deserve that.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Reposting here since I might as well, even if maaaaybe the genre is a mismatch: anyone been playing Dune Spice Wars? They just came out with a big update adding a run-based campaign mode and I'm interested in finally picking it up. I'm familiar with Northgard so I know their style of game.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

toasterwarrior posted:

Reposting here since I might as well, even if maaaaybe the genre is a mismatch: anyone been playing Dune Spice Wars? They just came out with a big update adding a run-based campaign mode and I'm interested in finally picking it up. I'm familiar with Northgard so I know their style of game.

I love Dune and strategy games but found it to be pretty meh.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Northguard rules, so yeah I'm curious if anyone who's played that also touched the spice wars?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

As far as I know it still has escalating authority mana costs to claim territories and a very low cap on that mana, so if you pick a map size larger than small and you want to seriously get on the case of opponents on the other side of the map without extreme supply issues you're going to need to abandon territory (somehow in the abstraction, pulling out of Arakis and letting down local allies makes your authority rise) to create a land snake that'll let you try to knock on the doors of Carthag.

So, no, it's not playable until we're able to mod that out.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

tokenbrownguy posted:

Northguard rules, so yeah I'm curious if anyone who's played that also touched the spice wars?

I have both and I like Spice Wars a lot. Its 4x-lite genre is not everyone's cup of tea - if you know Sins of the Solar Empire, it's that kind of a deal. It's tad too simple for real 4X marathoning and tad too slow for RTSing, but if you like that middle ground, it's pretty great. Just like Northgard was neither a good Settlers-like nor a good combat RTS, but worked just fine as a weird middle of the road thing.

Overall I think it's a better, more polished game than Northgard, with some early access growing pains. I think it will really shine in a FFA with friends, since it's fairly political.

A patch with the Conquest campaign just dropped like two days ago and it's pretty cool, a bit more elaborate than Northgard's.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

SIGSEGV posted:

As far as I know it still has escalating authority mana costs to claim territories and a very low cap on that mana, so if you pick a map size larger than small and you want to seriously get on the case of opponents on the other side of the map without extreme supply issues you're going to need to abandon territory (somehow in the abstraction, pulling out of Arakis and letting down local allies makes your authority rise) to create a land snake that'll let you try to knock on the doors of Carthag.

So, no, it's not playable until we're able to mod that out.

You know there's like a million ways to supply and/or airlift your army over the map, right? Ranging from "fremen up until you stop noticing that supply exists" through "pop a supply operation or two on your way" to the simplest, and most universal solution of "just pillage or siege a village on your way to top up supplies".

And that's not even getting into real invasion planning shenanigans like Atreides diploannexing themselves a staging ground remotely all over the place, House Corrino doing all sorts of aviation bullshit setting up airfields in the middle of nowhere or forcibly using those of their opponentsvictims, or - as of latest patch, Smuggler authority scaling being all about number of villages owned and not about distance at all so they can snipe strategic positions instead of building a cohesive empire.

It's not really a problem and the game just isn't designed for one to paint the whole map their color (it's a very 'at this size, just go fulfill the victory conditions and spare everyone the misery of the eternal war at infinite resources' kind of thing).

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I know, and it still bothers me, I took out the other powers by various treachery and wanted to remove the Harkonnen in a good old straight up liberation (*) war, instead I got to get grumpy at the game.

By the way, Atreides diplo-annexation still bounces off the mana limit.

E: as an aside, on high map sizes, Even being competitive with another empire on the other side of the map was tricky without hitting the province cap, even if you dump the comparatively bad provinces, they will simply do the same and be leaner and meaner. (And more fragile.)

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 25, 2023

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Lichtenstein posted:

Overall I think it's a better, more polished game than Northgard, with some early access growing pains. I think it will really shine in a FFA with friends, since it's fairly political.

A patch with the Conquest campaign just dropped like two days ago and it's pretty cool, a bit more elaborate than Northgard's.

This is what I like to hear, thank you. Think I'll pick it up then.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I fired up a game of Civ V Vox Populi for the first time in probably a year and man, they've done a ton of work on performance/bugs in that time. Bad performance and occasional crashes were my only complaint prior to this and, so far at least, they seem way better. Playing again really reminds me that this is not only the height of Civ as a series but arguably of 4x in general.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Curious to see if anybody else tried Revival: Recolonization from the NextFest demos? Civ by way of the post-apocalypse, seems promising but easily lost among the piles and piles of junk (unless I'm missing some terrible flaw it has that wasn't apparent from my limited playtime).

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Ahh, I was hoping for a "Nexus: Jupiter Incident" continuation but alas the kickstarter failed.

I guess now we'll see how the big boys do battle!

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
You've tried Nebulous Fleet Command? Its almost on topic as they release plans for a campaign mode.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Heyyy that Spice Wars game is pretty great, I'm happy with my purchase. Gonna get into the weeds with the Conquest mode now after having played a run with everyone save Harkonnen (they're meanies :( )

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Is the game still "he who controls the concrete controls the universe" or did they patch that?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I have no idea as I just bought it recently, though I certainly end up running a plascrete surplus pretty often and usually forget to trim down plascrete factories I no longer need.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Azhais posted:

Is the game still "he who controls the concrete controls the universe" or did they patch that?

They did, recent patch did a concrete & power cell rework (alongside a million other little changes).

There's no concrete upkeep now and plascrete factories have decent solari upkeep themselves, so now it's about setting up a nice concrete production center or two instead of blanketing the Arrakis in every spare slot.

As an aside, they also nerfed alternative money-making schemes so spice isn't overshadowed anymore.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Is Water Baroning any good nowadays?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It's kind of early to tell given people are still figuring this new update out, but I'd say it's about as good as it was. It's a supplementary source of income, but it's still decent. Fuel cells are no longer a good investment for sake of solari generation (you now only get to build fuel cell factories on resource regions and they gatekeep your 1-per-faction "wonders" and mechanical units, you just don't really get to float them as easy money).

Though a big caveat here is that the Water Advisor in the Smuggler faction got changed - instead of an authority discount that you kind of have to rush the polar sink for, he now grants passive water theft through underworld HQs, spawns little interest points with cash and concrete and gets resolving interest points with units give back half of supply bar to dudes in the region. It's pretty good and convenient for the smuggler pillage horde running around all over the place.