Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

acidx posted:

Prigozhin has made a big show of not affecting the war effort, but he's marching on Moscow and Russia has made clear that there will be no deal. As soon as any significant fighting happens, Wagner is going to have to use every available resource to hurt the Russian military. Prigozhin doesn't die if Ukraine makes advances in Ukraine, but he sure will if the Russian army takes over their positions in Russia.

If by Monday there's still fighting outside Moscow and Prigozhin isn't sitting in the Kremlin, he's lost. That's not enough time for anything major to happen in Rostov that changes how the front looks for Ukraine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigmund Fraud
Jul 31, 2005

I believed that Wagner was deliberately denied heavy armour and AA to keep them harmless. Now we see all kinds of modern armour and AA in the convoys. What happened?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The Question IRL posted:

Just to get mega props in the thread right now.

And then immediately realize I should have just given myself winning Lottery numbers instead.

Have you not learned anything from Elon Musk? You can't buy posting cred.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Ynglaur posted:

[*]I wish Cinci were here itt to chat with us. :saddowns:
Wait what happened to Cinci

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Sigmund Fraud posted:

I believed that Wagner was deliberately denied heavy armour and AA to keep them harmless. Now we see all kinds of modern armour and AA in the convoys. What happened?

They raided Rostov and Voronezh.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/salisbot/status/1672368404743741442?t=RM1Lf5y0d3iT9ig7BId6MQ&s=19

Since it's likely that the Russian reporting sources are too busy with the Wagner vs. Putin insurrection, and Ukraine isn't reporting at all, news about Ukraine's advances are going to be spotty, but they're making some success...
https://twitter.com/BarracudaVol1/status/1672611091288055809?t=2QrOYi7kORkzo1Lpz2JaUw&s=19

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Sigmund Fraud posted:

If you believed that you were mistaken. They were/are well equipped with modern poo poo like T-90s and BMP-3s, their own artillery and air defense assets.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
The thing that really blows my mind about all of this is that there have been rumours for years that Putin is absolutely obsessed with the fate of Gaddafi and is desperate to avoid any outcome similar to being gutted in the street by an angry mob, and yet all of the events that led to this point in the last two years fall on his shoulders and the increasingly unhinged actions he took, his hand was never forced by outside actors.

Everything could have been avoided if he just stopped the military build up back in February 2022 and said 'Lol, look at the dumb Americans claiming we were going to invade Ukraine, they sure have egg on their faces!', whatever potential advantages he thought he could gain with the invasion absolutely cannot have been worth the upheaval it unleashed for him personally.

I hope he's stuck in siege mode right now constantly thinking 'If only I didn't do X, everything would be fine!'

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 24, 2023

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

Nothingtoseehere posted:

If by Monday there's still fighting outside Moscow and Prigozhin isn't sitting in the Kremlin, he's lost. That's not enough time for anything major to happen in Rostov that changes how the front looks for Ukraine.

If the advance gets stalled, they can always hunker down. He's got tens of thousands of men. If they are able to get situated in a defensive position in an inconvenient place for Russia, they could wreak havoc for weeks. It would take a proper siege to clear them out. The real question is how far these drunk mercs will follow him. If it starts to look like his ship is sinking, and they all flee like rats, then it won't be catastrophic for Russia. If they are in it till the end, Russia has a real problem on their hands.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

acidx posted:

If the advance gets stalled, they can always hunker down. He's got tens of thousands of men. If they are able to get situated in a defensive position in an inconvenient place for Russia, they could wreak havoc for weeks. It would take a proper siege to clear them out. The real question is how far these drunk mercs will follow him. If it starts to look like his ship is sinking, and they all flee like rats, then it won't be catastrophic for Russia. If they are in it till the end, Russia has a real problem on their hands.

It seems like these drunk mercs were willing to call their families and "say goodbye" the day before so I get that they're willing to go as far as it takes.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
So when do those political TV shows air in Russia? Like, Solovyov and other propagandists? Next episode is going to be wild.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

acidx posted:

Keep in mind Ukraine was saying that some poo poo was going to go down for a couple months now. They've had time to monitor this situation and plan for it.

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if the CIA (and by extension Ukraine) had very good internal intelligence on Wagner. They seem like the sort of organization that would be fairly east to get agents inside of, at least compared to the sort of spookfests that Putin likes running. Not to suggest that the CIA is calling the shots here or anything like that, just that it's more likely than usual that they've got people on the inside feeding them stuff.

edit: this is to say nothing of Ukraine's no-doubt considerable intelligence efforts

Haystack fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 24, 2023

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Sigmund Fraud posted:

Wagner has had basic short-range SAMs and T-90s for a long time. Just less of them.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I am having a hard time not imaging Putin on phone with 1st Guards Tank Army going: "I said guard Kremlin, not Kreminna!"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

It seems like these drunk mercs were willing to call their families and "say goodbye" the day before so I get that they're willing to go as far as it takes.

the size of wagner means they need to win in a decapitation strike or by defections from the rest of the military/secuity services. if they get bogged down and stopped, they've lost and just haven't admitted it yet - but their soldiers may be willing to admit it by slipping away and claiming they were never there or they were deceived.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

FishMcCool posted:

So when do those political TV shows air in Russia? Like, Solovyov and other propagandists? Next episode is going to be wild.

Evidently Channel 1 is just playing commercials.

https://twitter.com/mjluxmoore/status/1672497184024203265

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Important update:

https://twitter.com/prchovanec/status/1672629444555468803

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

FishMcCool posted:

Solovyov made a video decrying Wagner. In a car. Driving away from somewhere. Hmm....

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

FishMcCool posted:

The TV set and station is a prime target for Wagnar.

We might have men with guns on set in the next few hours.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Ok some actual news this time:

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1672631883404902409

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

FishMcCool posted:

They don't have those on weekends. There are some pre-recorded/pre-written late-night shows that most likely won't focus on the Wagner situation. Plus, it's the proms season, the need to keep things light.

RockWhisperer
Oct 26, 2018

Ynglaur posted:

A few thoughts from a random vetgoon on a dead comedy forum:
  • Regardless of who wins in this rebellion (and I think Putin and Shoigu and the establishment probably win), it is very likely that a lot of Russian officers get purged. They've already suffered very high losses, particularly in field grade officers, so such a future purge could further reduce Russia's ability to conduct offensive operations, combined arms operations, etc. "Putin murks another 500 senior officers" is a good outcome for Ukraine.
  • I wish Cinci were here itt to chat with us. :saddowns:
  • Stay safe fatherboxx.

Ditto about Cinci. Your field officer assessment lines up with what I've heard from Kofman and co. along with conversations I've had with u.s. vets in the past on peacetime/wartime leadership dynamics. I think you are right about that. I hope fatherboxx is not too hungover based on his posts last night.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Djarum posted:

WE GOT A SWAN LAKE SITUATION HERE BOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bringing with them a 3-day weekend, Wagner will be welcomed as liberators

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Djarum posted:

It's a sad statement on the state of the arts in capitalist society that traditional Swan Lake showings have been replaced with endless commercial blocks.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

"Monday has been declared a [NUCLEAR] snow day. That is all."

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Djarum posted:

This is not Channel One, it's Russia 24. It's where they have non-stop regional and national news 24/7.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

War in Ukraine CE: SMO: Special Mercenary Operation

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

smug n stuff posted:

Does anyone know if Prigozhin is with the convoy, or still in Rostov?

He stated, and of course he lies a lot, he was staying in Rostov and waiting for Shoigu (& Gerasimov?) to meet him there, or something? If I remember correctly. He isn't leading the vanguard, that's for sure.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
So let's say Prigozhin does overthrow Putin. How do we make sure that Prigozhin doesn't do anything stupid?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

smug n stuff posted:

Does anyone know if Prigozhin is with the convoy, or still in Rostov?

Confirmed to be in Rostov as of this morning (local time)

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

Willo567 posted:

So let's say Prigozhin does overthrow Putin. How do we make sure that Prigozhin doesn't do anything stupid?

We can't, that's why this is such fun, literally anything could happen. Exciting isn't it...

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Willo567 posted:

At that point the CIA will unleash its mind-control ray guns and assert control of his brain, assuring nothing goes wrong.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Is there any evidence of air strikes (beyond a few random helicopters) on the Wagner convoy? If Putin has lost the loyalty of his air force to the degree that they won't put down a force marching on the capital he seems pretty done

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Willo567 posted:

What does SA do? Shitpost probably.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Willo567 posted:

There are a lot of things you can't control in life. Like being a genocidal shithead who gives a psychopath with ambition his own private army.

Well. I guess you can control that. But there are still lots of things you can't control in life Willo.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

evilweasel posted:

the size of wagner means they need to win in a decapitation strike or by defections from the rest of the military/secuity services. if they get bogged down and stopped, they've lost and just haven't admitted it yet - but their soldiers may be willing to admit it by slipping away and claiming they were never there or they were deceived.

It depends on the perception. Every day Prigozhin lives, Putin looks weaker. A sustained campaign may eventually lead to a collapse of Putin's regime. If they don't immediately take Moscow, the chances of Prigozhin becoming president drop dramatically, but he could still win, and he could certainly cause a whole lot of trouble even if he loses.

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 69 days!

lagidnam posted:

Putin came out and called him a traitor. This ends when Prigozev is either dead or Putin forgives him. (or we get a new Wagner friendly president)

Yes. Except that Putin would have to be clinically insane to "forgive" Prigozhin. That's how more than one dictator has lost power and life both together, starting famously with Julius Caesar. I don't think much of Putin, but I'm pretty sure he's probably that smart and certainly that ruthless.

And realistically, I don't really think Putin could walk the "traitor" statement back, even if he wanted to. Which I don't think he does. Not at this point.

His best outcome is to put Prigozhin in a hole in the ground, stone dead, with formal state sanction, and with as little fuss as possible.

Prigozhin absolutely must either do the same to Putin, or cause enough chaos and havoc so that somebody else can and does.

I want to note at this point that Laurent Kabila was offed by his second in command, not by any of his opponents in the Second Congo War. And Kabila was far from the first dictator to be sent on his way by a senior commander or a bodyguard. If things go to hell badly enough, Prigozhin and his people may not actually need to get within a country mile of Putin in order to get him killed.

But one or the other is probably going to be dead by the end of next month. Unless they go the way Syria went.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Willo567 posted:

There's absolutely nothing anybody could do. Prigozhin will 100% stroll into the Kremlin, go straight for the nuclear football, and launch ever Russian strategic asset directly at your balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Willo567 posted:

Nobody knows. This is one of those historical situations where poo poo is getting real.