Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I suppose it's possible that Prigozhin thought he'd trigger a more widespread mutiny and when that didn't occur he realized that he was hosed? I dunno man, the whole thing looks completely insane from here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

The Third Minsk Agreement

sum
Nov 15, 2010

I think it's likely that this is a psyop to deflate any momentum the coup attempt has, but lol if the net result of this whole circus is that the war a month from now is more or less exactly like it was yesterday.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Yup, Ukrainian press too:

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1672655323767754752

I'm guessing this isn't over quite so easily though.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

1stGear posted:

A bipolar world order is still emerging, but it was always going to be led by China. The eventual outcome of the war was never going to be a factor. What was significant was the rest of the world seeing the west both inflaming what should have been a regional dispute and failing to contain Russia with sanctions/theft of assets.

The West got really invested in this war, and when the Ukrainian offensive hit a brick wall, I don't know, should we have been expected to see them flex all of their other muscles to do something like this?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Leandros posted:

No there have been pretty explicit statements on their degree of Nazism and not all of them "they are nazis", a cursory thread search will confirm this, hth

Link some posts so we can dunk on the people who were very wrong.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Putin cutting a deal with the Nazi Burger Boys is anticlimactic, but still absolutely hilarious.

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

breathing aids posted:

If an armed convoy of 25,000 5,000 armed rebel soldiers was on their way to DC in earnest, they’d be bombed to ashes in less than an hour. How is that even a serious question? The western magical thinking, unhinged from material reality, that you’re doing right now.

They have anti air. They've apparently shot down a bunch of stuff. They're not defenseless. It's not magic

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

breathing aids posted:

If an armed convoy of 25,000 5,000 armed rebel soldiers was on their way to DC in earnest, they’d be bombed to ashes in less than an hour.

What are you talking about? Bombers don't just sit around with pre-planned strike packages, all the maintainers on hand, just waiting to blow up highways at all times. This poo poo takes time. Russia's targeting cycle has been repatedly slow and inaccurate in the best of times. Dealing with a weird-rear end warlord insurrection in your own cities is not the best of times.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

sum posted:

lol if the net result of this whole circus is that the war a month from now is more or less exactly like it was yesterday.

This is the stupidest possible outcome and therefore will probably happen

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

i'm betting on america not being involved with this one. seems like they did it to themselves. It's not like replacing putin gives you ukraine at this point

It puts a whole lot of options back on the table though Wagner and zelensky could theoretically carve up Ukraine along new lines without losing face since they're not fighting Putin's war anymore

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Leandros posted:

No there have been pretty explicit statements on their degree of Nazism and not all of them "they are nazis", a cursory thread search will confirm this, hth

while many doubts have been shared in both directions, the actions of the last 24 hours have confirmed the purity of the Wagnerite souls

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/WarMonitors/status/1672657964476387329

its joever

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/1672658203224465408?s=20

lmao

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

This is the next phase of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, you have to get rid of the old guy before you can bring in the new exciting threat (caterer Nazi).

Red Skull, but if he sold hot dogs for a living

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

i'm betting on america not being involved with this one. seems like they did it to themselves. It's not like replacing putin gives you ukraine at this point

It’s a result of someone being terminally online and then marching to the capital! Many such cases!

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
https://ria-ru.translate.goog/20230624/prigozhin-1880247119.html?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

quote:

MOSCOW, June 24 - RIA Novosti. The fighters of PMC "Wagner" deploy their columns and leave in the opposite direction, according to the press service of the head of the group Yevgeny Prigozhin in the Telegram channel.
Last night, the FSB Public Relations Center reported that all the information disseminated on social networks on behalf of Yevgeny Prigozhin about "missile and bomb attacks inflicted by the Ministry of Defense on the rear units of the Wagner PMC" is untrue and is an informational provocation. The same was said in the Ministry of Defense. The FSB department opened a criminal case against Prigozhin under Article 279 of the Criminal Code (“Organization of an armed rebellion”).
President Vladimir Putin, in an address to the Russians, said that all those responsible for the attempted rebellion will suffer inevitable punishment, will answer before the law and the people. He also noted that decisive actions would be taken to stabilize the situation in Rostov-on-Don , where the work of civilian and military authorities was actually blocked.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
So no coup? Show's over?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Corbeau posted:

I suppose it's possible that Prigozhin thought he'd trigger a more widespread mutiny and when that didn't occur he realized that he was hosed? I dunno man, the whole thing looks completely insane from here.

lol imagine the feeling of failing at getting the dance floor started and having to bail x100000 on the ride to moscow

speng31b
May 8, 2010

who called whose bluff i wonder

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

Lol what

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So I just skipped the last 18 pages cause I couldn't read faster than the posts. Whats the update, is it over?

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

It's an AI audio recording!!!!!!!!!!! DONT BE FOOLED MY FRIENDS

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Welp, exciting road trip guys, time to get some sleep.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1672658768742559745?s=20

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

Commander Dan Quinn, reporting for duty and ready to give Putin triple digit orgasms, Sir!

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

KomradeX posted:

So I just skipped the last 18 pages cause I couldn't read faster than the posts. Whats the update, is it over?

prigozhin turned his rear end around

i guess the meth wore off and he came to his senses

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I don't know how Putput can make a deal after going on air to address the Russian people that traitors are afoot and will be punished though. Seems real undermining your own authority there. I'm sure that won't have nasty consequences down the line.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
We are emerging into the bipolar warlord era

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

KomradeX posted:

Yes.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I loving told you it was psyop

a racist pole
May 16, 2015

Zokari posted:

lol at all the people smugly declaring this wasn't real yesterday

?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Zeroisanumber posted:

Lol what made you think the outcome of the Ukraine War would be anything positive instead of just thousands and thousands of dead? "New bipolar world"? I hate US hegemony as much as anyone, but numbers don't lie. Russia, even with tacit Chinese backing, is not even remotely close to a match for the economic and political might of the US.

The best you'd get out of a NATO defeat is Russia annexing a few provinces and a rump Ukrainian puppet state on their border while the NATO shills gently caress off to retirement down in South America or someshit. Not Warsaw Pact 2.0

yeah I mean American hegemony does not grow out of America invading every country they don’t like, it’s mostly them sponsoring coups/buying off elected leaders/using sanctions and trade deals to pressure countries to adopt right-wing policy. even if russia was capable of beating NATO in a straight-up fight, that wouldn’t give them anything like the global reach to counterweight NATO. China is the only country that can do that.

I actually think this war has been a tremendous missed opportunity for China; after everything the west did failed to deter Russia, and especially before Kharkiv and Kherson, there was a window for China to step in, yank the choke-chain, and force a peace on reasonably favorable terms to Ukraine. doing so would have demonstrated that where NATO failed to deter aggression or keep the peace, China succeeded. an important step towards multipolarity is other countries seeing China as a guarantor of peace and security the way they currently see the US.

I think China had very good reasons for acting as they did but with the benefit of hindsight I think it was a miscalculation. too soon to tell though.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
driving to teh frontlines, realising there's no tasty burger or meat story so turning around and going home under the pretense of a coup

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

mycomancy posted:

What are the odds that poo poo goes pear-shaped and WW3 kicks off? Because I'll be goddamned if Im gonna spend the last weekend before global warming kicks off on computer code.

moscow is already declared work-free on monday so no need to work

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

We are emerging into the bipolar warlord era

Hell Yeah

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Zokari posted:

lol at all the people smugly declaring this wasn't real yesterday

bump

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
Stupid and lame instead of stupid and funny

But enough about my posting, I guess we're back to normal

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

maybe the people mocking everyone who said this was a nothingburger also posted too soon

should've known better with this war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Prigozhailure pamps are extra poopy today

Zeroisanumber posted:

Russia, even with tacit Chinese backing, is not even remotely close to a match for the economic and political might of the US.
You are only as good your last battle. The US is a fading empire.
Search your feelings, you know it to be true.