Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

How do you just walk away from this? Putin called the guy a traitor just a few hours ago???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Someone is trying to create confusion with a false narrative. Wait for more reliable news

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I think a statement straight from Priggy that it’s over is fairly definitive

I highly doubt it. He will not be allowed to walk away. He will be killed for making Putin and his defence coterie look like fools and weakening his image. His only hope is to go all in. I don't think he is that naive to surrender.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
Rare Lukashenko W

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

A few hours to see who moves where, I guess. Need to see trucks moving the other way.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Someone is trying to create confusion with a false narrative. Wait for more reliable news

I mean it's coming directly from Prigozhin himself.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The only sort of deal that would actually give Prigozhin some measure of safety would be like, ceding Rostov-on-Don to his direct control in a measure of outright feudalism.

Or well just giving him direct control of the RuAF which is obviously a non starter for Putin.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So if this is true this is basically Prigozhin committing suicide, right?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I think a statement straight from Priggy that it’s over is fairly definitive

Yeah, he blinked. Still going to be really interesting what happens next.

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Savy Saracen salad posted:

I highly doubt it. He will not be allowed to walk away. He will be killed for making Putin and his defence coterie look like fools and weakening his image. His only hope is to go all in. I don't think he is that naive to surrender.

What do you think his "we're returning to base" message meant then?

Edit:

ummel posted:

Rare Lukashenko W

Yet another thing nobody could have seen coming

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
Boooooooo

Brain65
Jan 19, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Honest question but what does negotiation even mean at this point? It seems like once you've gone this far you either are going full coup or you're going out a window at the first chance. What does deescalation look like at this point if we have any idea?

Kremlin: "Why are you here?" Wagner: "I swear to god we're only coming to sign the contract with the MoD in-person"

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
What was that, like 24 hrs? Did the methamphetamine wear off or something?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Maybe in a little bit he'll come out with another statement going "I offered to go back home but they attacked!" No evidence of an attack will be presented but it's an attempt to make him look like the reasonable one? Who knows, this would be the weirdest way for this all to end.

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006
There is surely no safe option for Prigozhin from here after internationally humiliating Putin and the boys

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Arglebargle III posted:

So if this is true this is basically Prigozhin committing suicide, right?

I don't see how Prigozhin can be allowed to live if true.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Dog Friday posted:

There is surely no safe option for Prigozhin from here after internationally humiliating Putin and the boys

Yeah another shoe has to drop here, both Putin and Prigozhin looks like fools atm

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Someday history Youtubers will make videos about this very strange series of events

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

TheRat posted:

I mean it's coming directly from Prigozhin himself.

Allegedly. And the alleging parties are a bunch of Twitter posts. Everyone involved has strong incentives to build the narrative they want by yelling it loudly, and also to confuse their opponents and fence-sitters with lots of lies.

Lukashenko being a deal-broker would be very :discourse: for this incident, though.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Prigozhin might actually be an idiot who agrees to terms and gets killed within days or weeks, it wouldn't be the stupidest decision made during this war. Let's wait and see what the actual confirmed movements of Wagner are before concluding that they actually agreed to anything substantial.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I guess maybe Putin decided making concessions to Prigozhin was less of a roll of a dice than a battle in Moscow, and so did Prigozhin.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

Allegedly. And the alleging parties are a bunch of Twitter posts. Everyone involved has strong incentives to build the narrative they want by yelling it loudly, and also to confuse their opponents and fence-sitters with lots of lies.

Lukashenko being a deal-broker would be very :discourse: for this incident, though.

Paladinus posted:

Fake tg account.

Prigozhin confirms in his latest audio message that Wagner are turning back and moving towards their camps to avoid bloodshed. He doesn't mention Lukashenko, but it's safe to assume he was involved at least.
https://t.me/concordgroup_official/1303

Audio straight from the source

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I'm old enough to remember the Russian military announcing it was ending military exercises and returning troops to base on Feb 15, 2022.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Yeah it was audio of him, so he definitely said it at least. and Lukashenko probably isn't lying about the negotiation. The only way this is still happening is if:

1) Prigozhin is just pretending to accept it while he continues on to gently caress with them

2) He gets couped and others in Wagner continue on

JunkDeluxe
Oct 21, 2008
War In Ukraine CE: Operation Wagnerrossa

Seems fitting if they stall out on the outskirts of Moscow

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

...what the gently caress? Did Putin take Prigozhin's family hostage or something?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

JunkDeluxe posted:

War In Ukraine CE: Operation Wagnerrossa

Seems fitting if they stall out on the outskirts of Moscow

Started one day too late, though.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

"gonna turn my convoy around into a jam where we're denounced as terrorists and already being shot up by Mi-8s"

Don't trust this quick messaging at all, we'll see what actually transpires throughout the night

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

TheRat posted:

Audio straight from the source

A part of me is wondering if this might somehow be an audio deepfake to spread confusion? Because other reports claim Prigozhin is denying it.

I don't even know what's happening anymore.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/LEBassett/status/1672663419533524999

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
All Quiet on the Wagner Front.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
I am so confused. Did Prigozhin just decide that he prefers definite death/imprisonment over likely death/imprisonment?

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1672662959481577472

Surely he can't think they are going to let bygones be bygones.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Bremen posted:

A part of me is wondering if this might somehow be an audio deepfake to spread confusion? Because other reports claim Prigozhin is denying it.

An audio deepfake posted on his own Telegram channel?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

acidx posted:

If true, this is beyond humiliating for Putin, he must be absolutely seething. So much for being the imperturbable strongman dictator.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

acidx posted:

He'll be the one deciding what bygones are if he becomes the effective leader of the military.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Great, I still can't even tell if I was right or wrong about it all being elaborate theatrics.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

FishMcCool posted:

So when do those political TV shows air in Russia? Like, Solovyov and other propagandists? Next episode is going to be wild.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1672548712101343232

He's currently driving back from the front to Moscow. If there's one thing I've learned from this war is always trust an Russian official's video when it show him speeding down the highway.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Looks like the early posters are correct re: Wagner turning around at the gates of Moscow.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

acidx posted:

If this is true, then didn't Putin basically just capitulate to Wagner? What a shitshow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Bremen posted:

Even if it’s really from Prigozhin, that’s got to be intentional disinfo. Best case for Prigozhin is both he and Putin knowing Prigozhin can’t be touched for some power dynamic reason… but in that hypothetical that still means Putin is going to jump at any and all chances to defenestrate Prigozhin.

So it has to be Prigozhin either messing with the MOD to smoke screen his intentions, or possibly it’s a play to the Russian public to show he was willing to seriously negotiate before “well they forced my hand again guess it’s back to the coup”