Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
In exchange for standing down, they will fill up his Priggy Bank and let him leave peacefully in exile in a beautiful villa with an expansive picture window overlooking a nice set of waterfalls and cliffside bird roosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

IDGI, doesn't this ensure Prigozhin will accidentally fall out of a window and onto a bullet?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
So is it over?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Thank you for hanging out for the most stupid day in modern Russian history

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Hungarian state owned media did still not report on the events of the past 24 hours, so most Hungarians have no idea what the hell happened in Russia.

The few who did, said that its obvious that Prigozhin has been bought by NATO.... I'm guessing now they will say he's been bought back by Russia.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Deltasquid posted:

If this is true, then didn't Putin basically just capitulate to Wagner? What a shitshow

Maybe he should have done that before losing a bunch of helicopters and loving up highways and bridges.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Who knows. Certainly not me. I guess in a few hours we'll probably have confirmation on whether Wagner turned around or not.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Have we considered the possibility that Lukashenko is a master-statesman filled with Solomonic wisdom?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I heard rumours that the Ukrainians were still able to exploit the confusion to make considerable gains, any truth to this from what we've seen?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Orthanc6 posted:

So it has to be Prigozhin either messing with the MOD to smoke screen his intentions, or possibly it’s a play to the Russian public to show he was willing to seriously negotiate before “well they forced my hand again guess it’s back to the coup”

I dunno bout that. Momentum is crucial for things like this. You want to keep the train moving at max speed to prevent anyone who hopped on from jumping off. You don't want to give folks who are essentially taking a huge risk time to think about what is actually going on. Most importantly you do not want to give the impression they are on a sinking ship.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

fatherboxx posted:

Thank you for hanging out for the most stupid day in modern Russian history

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
well if they wipe out wagner it will be a little denazification of russia for sure.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Wow Russia is just absolutely on the ball as a country. Truly impressive work

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

Absolutely nobody knows, and I suspect that includes Prigozhin

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

khwarezm posted:

I heard rumours that the Ukrainians were still able to exploit the confusion to make considerable gains, any truth to this from what we've seen?

no idea. Russian Telegrams tend to be where we get most of our info tbh, and they are kind of, uh, distracted right now

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006
So Putin is going to be cool with getting bossed around and settle for second most powerful man in Russia

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

khwarezm posted:

Did the person who posted it have a blue checkmark by their name?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

All thats left is the drinking.

khwarezm posted:

No. There just hasnt been enough time for strategic confusion to have had any effect at the tactical level. Wagner didn't pull out of the battle line, they'd already been rotated out.

At most, Russia didn't have a few helicopters or planes when they needed them.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Shogeton posted:

Have we considered the possibility that Lukashenko is a master-statesman filled with Solomonic wisdom?

I think it's far more likely that Wagner affiliated ninjas kidnapped Putin when he ran away and then surgically implanted a bomb in his head, myself.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Shogeton posted:

I bet he’d cut a baby in half given a chance.

So I guess kinda?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Paladinus posted:

Maybe he should have done that before losing a bunch of helicopters and loving up highways and bridges.

Huh, so there are credible reports of bridge damage?

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
So either Putin surrendered control of the military to Prigozhin or Prigozhin didn't realize that he committed suicide. Did I get that right?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

This seems like it would be one of the worst possible ending for all involved as Putin and Prigozhin both look dumb and insane.

RockWhisperer
Oct 26, 2018
What is even going on? I feel like I just watched two people swing at each other with knives, agree it was a good joke, and then walk away to grab beers.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
That does sound like a typical saturday in russia to be fair.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Spare a thought for the hungover military police captain in Voronezh who picked the losing side this morning.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
Lol Prigozhin was pushing for people to defect and join him. Anybody who did is probably gonna die, unless they go with Wagner back to Ukraine.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Snipee posted:

So either Putin surrendered control of the military to Prigozhin or Prigozhin didn't realize that he committed suicide. Did I get that right?

It kinda sounds like both, to be honest.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
maybe putin and priggy will have a duel or something, it's gonna be the lamest steven segal-esq fake fighting situation you've ever seen.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

what the gently caress

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

RockWhisperer posted:

What is even going on? I feel like I just watched two people swing at each other with knives, agree it was a good joke, and then walk away to grab beers.

That's Russian as gently caress tho

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

RockWhisperer posted:

It's definitely in line with Russia's usual approach of adjusting reality whenever things look bad.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

acidx posted:

Lol Prigozhin was pushing for people to defect and join him. Anybody who did is probably gonna die, unless they go with Wagner back to Ukraine.

Yep. Think I’d rather go AWOL with the warlord then have to explain my extreme dereliction of duty/treason to whichever Russian intelligence agency that’s going to come through and execute everyone.

LifeSunDeath posted:

maybe putin and priggy will have a duel or something, it's gonna be the lamest steven segal-esq fake fighting situation you've ever seen.

Whoever loses the judo match gets poisoned

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Just what the... If they were trying to confuse me it sure worked. The whole day makes absolutely 0 sense.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Maybe Prigozhin tried to cash a CIA cheque and it bounced

Ubersandwich
Jun 1, 2003

What about a staged coup to see if any generals join in? Nobody took the bait and now they have to figure out how not to march to Moscow. Feels way to convoluted to be a realistic option, not to mention super stupid to try and pull off when you're, like, actually fighting a war and not having a successful time. On the other hand I feel like every other option we are looking at is pretty stupid, too.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

Green Beans doesn't waste time

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1672667310551597056

Tweet from Rubio. I agree in the assessment there.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Comstar posted:

Marshal from there from where? All the Russian forces are in Ukraine. He has some strategic bombers and navy, which are of little use.

Unless he wants to bomb the Kremlin once Wagnar is sitting on his desk.

This isn't strictly true, Russia also has some forces in Belarus and all over Russia. Hell, Pul-Put could order Luka to send some Belarusians to defend Moscow.

Just there's probably not any singular strong outfit with good training and morale. Putting together ad hoc unit from boot camp trainees, signalmen and truck drivers is not going to stop grizzled veterans who have murdered people even before going to Ukraine. Oh and if Belarusians tried to mobilize some battalions to assist, they would presumably only find IOU notes in place of most of their equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

khwarezm posted:

In a few hours without any Russian troops having been moved? Seems unlikely