Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Rumors saying Shoigu has been detained: https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1672675077417062408

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

parthenocarpy posted:

If he just lost the root of his political power, how do you reconcile that with the fact that he's still running Russia? Like, I get it, you guys really want this to discredit Putin and make him look like a fool. I want the guy gone. This isn't him going away, this is a mending of a really lovely situation they had and they go back to war with Ukraine. You guys get that, right? Like, Russia reuniting is a real possibility, they could come out stronger from this, not weaker, and I don't know why so many of you feel that is a certainty. I just don't get it.
Let me try a business example. Company A says it wants to buy Company B. The takeover falls through. It doesn't matter, because Company B is now seen to be "in play": somebody is eventually going to buy it, and it will cease to exist as an independent entity.

Putin has just been proven to be less powerful than everybody, in Russia and elsewhere, thought he was. It turns out that you can get away (even if only temporarily) with rising up in arms and getting very close to Moscow. That shouldn't have happened. Russia should have smushed the Wagner Group into smithereens long before they got that far.

Moscow (read: the government) is in play. It is no longer obviously impossible to take Moscow militarily. It's gone from impossible to being a long shot. There are a lot of powerful oligarchs in Russia whom Putin was successfully riding herd on. All of them are now wondering if there's a way to take their own shot.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

slidebite posted:

Any chance if Shoigu genuinely feels threatened he tries something?

Stay tuned for Shoigu's march on Moscow.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

slidebite posted:

Any chance if Shoigu genuinely feels threatened he tries something?

Shoigu was handpicked for his inability to try anything. Granted, the guy who picked him has been demonstrated to have lapses of character judgment before.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Let me try a business example. Company A says it wants to buy Company B. The takeover falls through. It doesn't matter, because Company B is now seen to be "in play": somebody is eventually going to buy it, and it will cease to exist as an independent entity.

Putin has just been proven to be less powerful than everybody, in Russia and elsewhere, thought he was. It turns out that you can get away (even if only temporarily) with rising up in arms and getting very close to Moscow. That shouldn't have happened. Russia should have smushed the Wagner Group into smithereens long before they got that far.

Moscow (read: the government) is in play. It is no longer obviously impossible to take Moscow militarily. It's gone from impossible to being a long shot. There are a lot of powerful oligarchs in Russia whom Putin was successfully riding herd on. All of them are now wondering if there's a way to take their own shot.

Is there a Civilization analogy you could give me, like someone has a Humiliation meter score of 6 and they lose their nation when it hits 7? That would be really cool too! LOL that you think your business analogy has a practical application to wartime Russia

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Putin is also paranoid as hell and has been taking out people who might speak out against him. Seeing that he is now in a weak position, they might decide its better to take him out before they get pushed out a window themselves.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

parthenocarpy posted:

Is there a Civilization analogy you could give me, like someone has a Humiliation meter score of 6 and they lose their nation when it hits 7? That would be really cool too! LOL that you think your business analogy has a practical application to wartime Russia

Nailed it.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

parthenocarpy posted:

The entire point I've been trying to make is no one should be certain about anything. When I said last night that this could happen, I said very clearly that it wasn't even likely or even something I'd be hopeful to see. I'm not sure where you got the fact I was feeling certain about anything at all other than resuming the Ukraine war really sucks

Your point is stupid or you are arguing it badly. This isn't a videogame where the instant power changes hands the title over someone's head changes or they step down from power and wink out of existence. The ripples from this event could take weeks or months to manifest, but one thing that is very clear to everyone is that Russia tomorrow will not be the same Russia as yesterday.

Also God drat was that a hell of a 1k posts to crawl thru since yesterday what the gently caress

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
People are being silly in that you can predict exactly the way this would go, most of how this will play out is gonna be based on people whose exact objectives we don’t really know or only kind of know

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
yes, but have you considered that by literally ceding part of his authority, putin may actually be stronger than ever?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
2000 new posts since I went to bed, the gently caress happened. is russia in a civil war yet

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
It'd be nice if this would lead to less terror bombing of civilians.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Captain Invictus posted:

2000 new posts since I went to bed, the gently caress happened. is russia in a civil war yet

buddy i have some good news and some bad news

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

parthenocarpy posted:

The entire point I've been trying to make is no one should be certain about anything. When I said last night that this could happen, I said very clearly that it wasn't even likely or even something I'd be hopeful to see. I'm not sure where you got the fact I was feeling certain about anything at all other than resuming the Ukraine war really sucks
It seems to be you've been talking about mass delusion and how this is actually good for putin and how he's still running the country some certainty.

Obviously we don't know what the deal actually is yet. If Prigozhin actually gets to appoint his own MoD people, that's baaaaaaaad for Putin. I'd say it would be pretty accurate to say he's not fully in control of the country.

Maybe Prigozhin realized he won't have the support and won't be able to pull it off so will accept some sort of immunity to "avoid bloodshed" and everyone tries to pretend nothing happened. I'm certainly disappointed they aren't shooting each other but we'll see.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Yeah it’s too early to be claiming this is the end of Putin and everything is uncertain but you can’t really claim that this is a Putin win. If Blackwater marched on DC and Trudeau negotiated with Biden to pardon them and replace his Secretary of Defense I don’t think many people would agree that Biden came out on top in that exchange.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
So how does this shake out for Ukraine? A bunch of Russia units bugged out, a good chuck of Wagner is currently having high tea in Moscow while the Ukrainian's seem to have pinched back a chunk of territory.

Is Wagner going back to the front? What effect will Wagners new “permissions” have?

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Captain Invictus posted:

Not happening anymore. Everyone Blinked.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if you need metaphors, someone already mentioned kornilov. who did his thing 6 weeks before the 1917 civil war cracked open in earnest

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I appreciate the poster who put this in Succession terms so I can understand

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

Yes but it's over.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Also it should be said that a large reason why Putin most likely conceded is appeasing a mercenary group during a war is a good idea, but he won’t be at war forever

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Stay safe fatherboxx

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Seems like Putin or the Russian government has yet to say anything at all about the whole affair.

The only word about what happened is that of Prigo and Lukasehnka.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

bob dobbs is dead posted:

if you need metaphors, someone already mentioned kornilov

I mean that was just a failure that eventually led to a coup that ushered the bolsheviks into power. If anything I'm mostly reminded of stuff like when allied Barbarian leader would march on Italy and pillage or threaten to pillage Italy and Rome in exchange for being declared Magister Militum.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Grape posted:

Russia as a general rule feels like it's co-written by Cormac McCarthy and Larry David.

Probably the most accurate thing written here

People who think their knowledge of the world or history is in any way useful or practical here are nuts. This is war driven chaos where anything happens. You can hope for change in Russia, in the meanwhile the circus continues and Putin is the ringmaster

mobby_6kl posted:

Obviously we don't know what the deal actually is yet. If Prigozhin actually gets to appoint his own MoD people, that's baaaaaaaad for Putin. I'd say it would be pretty accurate to say he's not fully in control of the country.

Like, for real, what does this poo poo even mean?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The Nazis now own the Russian Military of Defense.

Yeah here's the thing under PUTIN the MoD sucked. Under Wagner? I mean my god folks. I think we need to understand what this means as well it basically means every Wagnerite is going to get a massive promotion and turn into an NCO or officer and end up marshalling the remaining Russian soldiers Potentially into a real fighting force. I'm not sure that that's going to happen as I'm on the side that there's going to be even more turmoil that starts to spill over because he's already got people wound up and ready to go and defecting from Putin. You just can't come back from that and go "actually everyone Putin's a good president let's get back to the barracks" .Wagner may go back to the barracks but other factions are going to brew.

Russia is boiling. Like is there any doubt that Russia will become even more authoritarian and they will literally start robbing people off the loving streets after this? Like do we really think abductions aren't going to ramp up?

With a private military corporation taking control of a public one my comparison would be the Prussian army? Like Wagner's always been a very effective fighting for us even though they use people as Cannon fodder. The main line Wagner guy is a literal career soldier on the frontlines of combat.

You need to get out of Russia.

And remember the whole Wagner is no more thing yeah that's because Wagner is now called the ministry of defense so this is going to get a very confusing

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

parthenocarpy posted:

Again, you are running some playbook where arbitrary things like "he's not really in charge because factor XYZ" like what does that mean?
Putin is not a god, and his power derives from people obeying him. If people show that disobedience does not necessarily bear immediate or serious consequences they might instead do what they want to do.
Maybe I should put this a different way, are you familiar with the riddle of steel?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Well I've lost all fear of Putin now. Would probably instinctually shove him around if I ever saw him walking in the street. I could easily dominate such a weak man

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

parthenocarpy posted:

It means exactly what it says.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

The least likely outcome happened, Lukashenko negotiated a deal between Wagner and Russia.

lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

parthenocarpy posted:

People who think their knowledge of the world or history is in any way useful or practical here are nuts. This is war driven chaos where anything happens. You can hope for change in Russia, in the meanwhile the circus continues and Putin is the ringmaster

its not the first insane period of chaos in history, tho, is the deal

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
(All Three Threads Voice) Whatever happened confirms my priors

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

parthenocarpy posted:

I don't know how to tell you this, but Russia isn't actually like some unique nightmare state unprecedented in human history.

It's entirely possible Putin turns poo poo around and reasserts his grip on power! But even if the deal with Shoigu ends up being false, this is not a good day for him. This does not make him look better or reinforce his control over the state.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Scarodactyl posted:

Putin is not a god, and his power derives from people obeying him. If people show that disobedience does not necessarily bear immediate or serious consequences they might instead do what they want to do.
Maybe I should put this a different way, are you familiar with the riddle of steel?

Oh, the riddle of steel. I'm not, forgive me. If the riddle of steel is broken, is Putin legally required to step down? That might be a rule I'm not familiar with, please enlighten me. I imagine breaking the riddle is really bad or something and people think less of you?

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
What an interesting birthday this has been.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

GABA ghoul posted:

Well I've lost all fear of Putin now. Would probably instinctually shove him around if I ever saw him walking in the street. I could easily dominate such a weak man

You could take his lunch money but it's not worth a cold bowl of borscht these days.

You should still do it though

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

TGLT posted:

I don't know how to tell you this, but Russia isn't actually like some unique nightmare state unprecedented in human history.

It's entirely possible Putin turns poo poo around and reasserts his grip on power! But even if the deal with Shoigu ends up being false, this is not a good day for him. This does not make him look better or reinforce his control over the state.

Oh, my b. Thanks for the knowledge I guess!

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

parthenocarpy posted:

If he just lost the root of his political power, how do you reconcile that with the fact that he's still running Russia? Like, I get it, you guys really want this to discredit Putin and make him look like a fool. I want the guy gone. This isn't him going away, this is a mending of a really lovely situation they had and they go back to war with Ukraine. You guys get that, right? Like, Russia reuniting is a real possibility, they could come out stronger from this, not weaker, and I don't know why so many of you feel that is a certainty. I just don't get it.

I don't know if this will be the end of Putin or result in any changes at all for the government, but I do think Prigozhin has significantly weakened public affection for the special military operation, both directly by broadcasting criticisms of the war as an invention to benefit corrupt elites and indirectly by making it clear the war is having serious blowback consequences. Wagner was very popular among war supporters, and now the leader of Wagner is saying the justifications for the war were bullshit? No one can say the war is proceeding rhythmically and calmly at this point

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

god please help me posted:

What an interesting birthday this has been.

Happy birthday!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rahu posted:

The least likely outcome happened, Lukashenko negotiated a deal between Wagner and Russia.

lol
loving what