Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Fuuuck, I drive a car for a few hours and it's all over before it really got started :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I'll always remember where I was for the Russian Civil War of 24Jun2023-24Jun2023

RockWhisperer
Oct 26, 2018

Moon Slayer posted:

This pretty much sums up my opinion, except for the "will have a few thoughts in a bit" part.

https://twitter.com/KofmanMichael/status/1672677971532947461

Yeah, seeing those two confused and needing to collect their thoughts make me :lol:

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
It's very funny to me Putin, the man who does all these pathetic power moves with making people wait on him and dragging dogs into meetings or whatever, just got put in his place

Also if I was some Wagner mercenary, who hours ago dreamed he'd soon be part of the ruling faction of Moscow, I'd be pissed I'm suddenly being sent back to some filthy trench. Though of course I've no idea how the Wagner regulars expected this to end

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Shogeton posted:

Have we considered the possibility that Lukashenko is a master-statesman filled with Solomonic wisdom?

he threatened to cut russia in half to find the true mom?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

bandaid.friend posted:

Though of course I've no idea how the Wagner regulars expected this to end

I think you kind of have to assume anyone willing to drive on their own capital is pretty strongly in the Death or Glory mindset

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1672673430200635392

https://twitter.com/IvoHDaalder/status/1672682614166102017

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Random Integer posted:

Wagner getting sent all over the place seems bad for Wagner from a "not coming down with a case of bullet poisoning" perspective. They're relatively small compared to the Russian state, they only have power because they are concentrated together. Getting split up sounds like an invitation for purge o'clock

Honestly Wagner shifting wholly to Africa sounds pretty decent for them?

They can consolidate their mining other plundering activities, which at this point are probably more profitable than fighting directly for the Russian military, and there's relatively little opposition or even oversight for whatever horrible poo poo they feel like doing. It's gotta beat Bakhmut, right?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Yeah, the lid is off now. The mystique of Putin is broken and everybody knows the path to power is no longer through loyalty to him.

This will happen again. Maybe Prigozhin will try again, maybe someone else. It will keep happening until someone succeeds.

And as I've said before, the war in Ukraine will end due to Russia withdrawing its troops in order to deal with civil war at home.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Comedy option: The MoD brass refuse to step aside and half the army sides with them and half with Putin/Prigozhin and have an even bigger civil war

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Deformed Church posted:

Honestly Wagner shifting wholly to Africa sounds pretty decent for them?

They can consolidate their mining other plundering activities, which at this point are probably more profitable than fighting directly for the Russian military, and there's relatively little opposition or even oversight for whatever horrible poo poo they feel like doing. It's gotta beat Bakhmut, right?

if putin holds to the letter of the rumored deal long enough for Prigo to take his private army to the CAR, he's going to be one of the richest and most powerful men there, certainly rich enough to pay people to taste test his food, drinks, and doorknobs for polonium

sucks for the people there or wherever he winds up, and i don't have a loving clue how things shake out in Russia

Me early yesterday: why didn't prigo take his loyalists and cash and run to another country
Me late yesterday: huh yeah I guess that's more dangerous than marching on Moscow, I'm wrong
Me now: i knew i was right all along, he just wanted to flee the country in the funniest way possible
Me in about four hours: i can't believe talks fell apart and prigo just leveled the kremlin with rocket artillery

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Prighozin says he'll stop and leave putin alone but putin has to eat a bug in front of him and all his friends. And they get to choose the bug. If you go running to teacher about a coup ur so dead

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Wait, is it supposed to be a total withdrawal from Ukraine for Wagner? Because if it is, won’t Russia’s remaining official armed forces likely be turbo-hosed without the extra manpower?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

Wait, is it supposed to be a total withdrawal from Ukraine for Wagner? Because if it is, won’t Russia’s remaining official armed forces likely be turbo-hosed without the extra manpower?

Eh, I think they had already been mostly pulled from the frontlines.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

If Putin doesn't give a speech from Moscow soon, I don't know.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Randarkman posted:

Eh, I think they had already been mostly pulled from the frontlines.

Yeah, but they wanted to reintegrate their manpower into the army. Since i doubt there's a call for 25k Russian mercenaries in Africa, i feel like Prigozhin is going to surrender all his wartime recruits anyway and only keep the core or veteran fighters.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
The quote I heard was "majority" of Wagner to be stationed in Africa.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’m guessing he left all his convict mercenaries on the front lines during this? Or did March them to Moscow as well?

E: not asking about tea leaves just wondering if anything was reported about his convict corps

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Zwabu posted:

Speech promised for 11pm Moscow time.

RockWhisperer
Oct 26, 2018

Zwabu posted:

He might not announce anything till the deal is finalized, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Which is in about 25 minutes unless he delays it.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Nenonen posted:

Fuuuck, I drive a car for a few hours and it's all over before it really got started :mad:

Sorry you might not get the massacre you were hoping for.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Phrigozhin right now

https://youtube.com/shorts/p9CCfeu4by4

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

Fart Amplifier posted:

Yeah, back to all our regularly scheduled massacres.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Fart Amplifier posted:

I want Russian army to collapse in infighting and Ukraine to take back its borders with minimal losses

is that too much to ask??? :negative:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The Courier, allied with the Boomers, has passed an epic speech check and convinced Legate Prigozhius of futility of his affair

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006
Any chance Putins speech will shed some light on the situation?

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Dog Friday posted:

I expect it will shed some light on some things, and raise a lot of questions.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Bored again now, let's just move on to the Belarus coup

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1672692778604670986?t=hpCFDb2WEhrkxDzFoA0rAQ&s=19

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Wait, I just woke up and it's over? Huh? I'm going back to bed.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Dog Friday posted:

Unfortunately it looks like he's scheduled to read his review of Final Fantasy XVI, so the armed revolt will probably have to wait until Monday.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
2/5 stars, exciting start but coup attempt did not succeed and no bleary-eyed leader addressing the nation through his iPhone

RockWhisperer
Oct 26, 2018
I don't know much about CSTO except for its origins, but it seems like a dead man walking. That was a failure if the news about them avoiding involvement was true.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

I expect it will shed some light on some things, and raise a lot of questions.

Either way, the next six months will be critical.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Lukashenko looking... less isolated!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Can Putin ever recover from this? He fled Moscow and was forced to capitulate to mercenaries who were threatening to topple him. If Wagner don't take this opportunity and topple Putin, then surely there are others within the Russian military system who are looking at a weak and crippled old man and thinking "I want what he has"?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Well see a month from now when the loyalists of the current military leadership try to force the removal of the new picks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Nenonen posted:

I specifically said that Prigozhin cannot win, not that Putin can't lose. Prig can't create a new civilian political apparatus to replace United Russia and all of its governors and local councilors and so on, nor can he expect Russians to bend knee to a private military company's boss trying to take power at gun point.

sure they would, just call him False Dmitry IV. raising a private army to usurp the Russian throne is a time-honored tradition. the people will happily cry "да здравствует царь Дмитрий Иванович!" to the successor of an unpopular leader AT LEAST UNTIL THEY REALIZE HE'S A DIRTY CATHOLIC

quote:

I brought this up because someone said that we should be scared of the option where Prigozhin does win and becomes Russia's new fascist tsar. It's just not going to happen. See how the August coup went for comparison. Gorbachev's career was over but everything else went completely against the coup's goals.

while i am also skeptical of Putin's ability to maintain control after this, contemporary Russia does lack an equivalent to the forces that took advantage of the post-GKChP power vacuum. there's neither a clear set of government officials discredited by coup association (Prigozhin appears to have done this without much support other than his guns) nor a set of challengers to fill the void. there's no obvious Yeltsin and band of nationalists waiting in the wings to take advantage of the fractures in Putin's control structures

anyway, good day to relisten to some fascist punks out of rostov with choice album art https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu8Y0y2U6DU

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 24, 2023