Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Im sure the people that barely posted in the thread that came in rushing yesterday are actually not mad that the pig man turned around and ukraines offensive is still a wet fart

i am a little disappointed because if prigozhin had made into moscow we would have had absolutely tremendous content, dwarfing even the manic posting over the past day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Orange Devil posted:

Would be absolutely insane not to bring the hammer down on Prigozhin though.

Under normal circumstances, yes.

But Prigozhin/Wagner played the primary role in taking big and strategic cities like Severodonetsk, Lysychansk, and Bakhmut so simply killing or imprisoning him could be risky.

AloePieceOfShit
Jan 26, 2020

Vox Nihili posted:

There were air strikes on the Wagner column including right in Voronezh

Yea gonna need a source for this. Only thing I got froom Google was a since deleted twitter thread.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

samogonka posted:

the far right was constantly complaining about the military leadership, now they get what they wanted thanks to Prigozhin. Strelkov is seething lol

They're both agents of the Russian government. They're controlled opposition m

Strelkov is designed ro appeal to the monarchist opposition.

Prigozhin is designed to appeal to the right wing/ fascist opposition.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
When it comes to a brokered exile, Belarus is no Elba.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Beauty and harmony; all that begins must end. The reign of the old Shoigu is over!

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

drat that's really loving lovely

https://t.me/s/fighter_bomber 13 dead per the russian air force dude

hard to believe prigozhinn gets to walk away from this

that twitter dude one day ago who said "yeah putin will just negotiate a deal with him" ended up being 100% right lmao

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

yeah i'm completely out of the loop, these downed helicopters, was this event 100% confirmed?

https://t.me/milinfolive/102697

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL
Wikipedia moves

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Organ Fiend posted:

They're both agents of the Russian government. They're controlled opposition m

Strelkov is designed ro appeal to the monarchist opposition.

Prigozhin is designed to appeal to the right wing/ fascist opposition.

ok so if this is a big psy ops

what was the point of it? putin looks like a bitch . . . . for what?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I mean, it's funny to see liberals cheering this on because it's as plan as day that this is the result of trying to minimize state involvement through the SMO. The idea itself is the product of liberalism and neoliberal conceptions of the state - sending a token force, fighting conservatively to minimize casualties, avoiding damage to civilians and so on. These behaviours, what defence theorists like Deborah Avant describe as "Post-Heroic Warfare Logic", feature private contractors, casualty sensitivity and public support for war result from liberal, western, capitalist states. This, for the liberals ITT, is expected to be the dominant form of Western Warfare for as long as the current mode of production and political ideology exist, because there is no other way for states to motivate soldiers and populations. No such thing as a society = no sacrifice.

Andreas Herberg-Rothe argues for an alternative, that there will be such a thing as "The Democratic Warrior" engaged in "World-Order Conflicts", but really what he's observing is that the Rules Based International Order will appeal to extreme blood and soil nationalism at the soldier level, and launder this through defending heckin democracy to liberals at home to maintain public support. This is nearly 1:1 the case in Ukraine. They are not fighting for a world order or democracy, there is just a bifurcation of the ideology used to motivate soldiers and that used to motivate the public.

So, how could this have been prevented? Fighting a decisive war without the features of neoliberal warfare, described by Anthimos Tsirigotis as featuring casualty avoidance, stand off attack, automatic, limited force deployment, shrinkage and professionalization of combat forces - and yes - the mass employment of private military contractors.

This gently caress up, like imo nearly all of the gently caress ups to date, is the result of liberals getting what they want. This is what Yeltsin set in motion.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
putin remains the most kissable face in moscow

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
Man i stop following the thread for like 48 hours so me and my friends can grill some meat and down some brewskis and this crazy poo poo happns... after weeks of boring (and objectively sad ) waves of untrained ukrainian conscripts being told to drive into a minefield by their nato slave masters.

I guess the true lesson here is to never stop posting

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

OctaMurk posted:

if putin's so easy to negotiate with, why did couldn't ukraine get it done in 8 years huh??

or some other cope idk

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

January 6 Survivor posted:

Man i stop following the thread for like 48 hours so me and my friends can grill some meat and down some brewskis and this crazy poo poo happns... after weeks of boring (and objectively sad ) waves of untrained ukrainian conscripts being told to drive into a minefield by their nato slave masters.

I guess the true lesson here is to never stop posting

there were over 1000 posts from yesterday lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

I mean, it's funny to see liberals cheering this on because it's as plan as day that this is the result of trying to minimize state involvement through the SMO. The idea itself is the product of liberalism and neoliberal conceptions of the state - sending a token force, fighting conservatively to minimize casualties, avoiding damage to civilians and so on. These behaviours, what defence theorists like Deborah Avant describe as "Post-Heroic Warfare Logic", feature private contractors, casualty sensitivity and public support for war result from liberal, western, capitalist states. This, for the liberals ITT, is expected to be the dominant form of Western Warfare for as long as the current mode of production and political ideology exist, because there is no other way for states to motivate soldiers and populations. No such thing as a society = no sacrifice.

Andreas Herberg-Rothe argues for an alternative, that there will be such a thing as "The Democratic Warrior" engaged in "World-Order Conflicts", but really what he's observing is that the Rules Based International Order will appeal to extreme blood and soil nationalism at the soldier level, and launder this through defending heckin democracy to liberals at home to maintain public support. This is nearly 1:1 the case in Ukraine. They are not fighting for a world order or democracy, there is just a bifurcation of the ideology used to motivate soldiers and that used to motivate the public.

So, how could this have been prevented? Fighting a decisive war without the features of neoliberal warfare, described by Anthimos Tsirigotis as featuring casualty avoidance, stand off attack, automatic, limited force deployment, shrinkage and professionalization of combat forces - and yes - the mass employment of private military contractors.

This gently caress up, like imo nearly all of the gently caress ups to date, is the result of liberals getting what they want. This is what Yeltsin set in motion.

yeah they hate Russia when at every turn it acts like a model liberal democracy

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The real lesson is that sometimes very stupid and funny things happen. Better than month whatever of "bad poo poo happening to civilians again"

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Truga posted:

if putin's so easy to negotiate with, why did couldn't ukraine get it done in 8 years huh??

or some other cope idk

zelensky's role is to stop putin from negotiating himself into lovely treaties :tinfoil:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

How is Belarus a 'friendly' place for Prigozhin, anyway? What stops Lukashenko from arresting him shortly after arrival? :thunk:

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

OctaMurk posted:

The actual reasons are not going to be broadcasted on loving Twitter, but if I had to guess right now ...

I'm guessing that Putin caught wind of some sort of plot against him. Maybe a palace coup. Maybe a foreign intelligence op. Prigozhin's stunt may have been an effort to get these people to reveal themselves. "Hey Yevgeny, I hear you're revolting. Let's join up."

I see rumors that Shoigu has been arrested and his family has left for Dubai ....

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Horseshoe theory posted:

How is Belarus a 'friendly' place for Prigozhin, anyway? What stops Lukashenko from arresting him shortly after arrival? :thunk:

He can post more and fight less.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

From skimming the literature, the only western country to avoid these trends is Italy and that's literally because the cultural memory of Condottieri and compagnie di ventura.

It's just that shock therapy dismantled the Russian state for profit around a decade or two before doing the same here.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

8th Line posted:

crazy prigozhin gets to keep his private army and play around in africa for a bit

shoigu is removed and has possibly been detained per telegram rumours, losing his position because of some maniac

putin averts a potential coup but is embarassed and presided over the capitulation of the state to a band of mercenaries

lukashenko saves the russian state and putin probably owes him big

the fact that prigozhin gets to do this and walk away the victor is incredible to me. what a legend but also lmao he should be dead

He won't be alive in a month but yeah what a legend

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
skipped all the pages, how is the wagnerian revolution going

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Luka: Putin, I’d love to help in Ukraine but I’m so busy with brokering warlord peace deals.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

prigozhin has probably been given some guarantees that if he from now is a very good boy he gets to live and stay rich

that is getting away incredibly lightly from an armed insurrection. i don't think that openly sacking shoigu is on the table - it would be too open a concession on what is already a very generous deal - but he could be effectively sidelined

it doesn't seem to have actually changed anything fundamental in the war. certainly russia didn't collapse. it's an embarassing situation for putin, but at the end of the day it seems to have been resolved, and now the war can go back to being depressing positional warfare.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Prig Boss going back to Zanzibar Land to build Outer Heaven

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Homeless Friend posted:

shipped all the pages, how is the wagnerian revolution going

They call it a revolution because you revolve 360 degrees and drive away.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Lmao what the hell

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Westerners falling for a classic Maskirovka? They love to talk about Russian Dezinformatsiya but believe everything coming out of Russia no questions asked.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

OctaMurk posted:

If he doesn't look like a loser at least once every other month people are going to say he is losing his signature style.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Elba-rus

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

fizzy posted:

The last time Ukraine committed violence on minorities was in WWII

this is a bit, right? jfc

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

BrotherJayne posted:

this is a bit, right? jfc

It's catpetter's re-reg.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Art of the Deal by Yevgeny Prigozhin

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

Westerners falling for a classic Maskirovka? They love to talk about Russian Dezinformatsiya but believe everything coming out of Russia no questions asked.

i mean i was fully on board with train of thought until they killed a load of pilots

that's a real lovely thing to do if it was just psyops

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Regarde Aduck posted:

3. This was elaborate theatre. I've always thought Prigozhin is in deep with Putin and nothing he does is without Putin's approval. Not sure how many people had to be in the loop but enough that nothing super bad happened and the west got to talk about the imminent collapse of Russia. Now to what objective Putin and Prigozhin keep doing this poo poo I don't know. Maybe it is just to bait people in their own ranks. On the other hand, i do wonder what this must be doing to morale. Can't be good having jester Prigozhin go off on a wacky adventure every other week.

this isnt some kind of ruse. what could putin possibly gain from shrek humiliating him and going all pugachev, that makes no sense at all

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
How is it not obvious to everyone else that this was a Putin's plot to replace the whole MOD upper management?

I mean he didn't HAVE to do. Most other world leaders would have preferred to have a private talk with their minister of defense and ask him resign. But Putin is a weird guy and chose to do it this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Putin must be really confident in the Ukraine counteroffense failing if he wanted to pull a loyalty test during the middle of it.