Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Is it a pirate gun or a tanegashima? The second option would make more sense but it's still real fucky interior decorating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Panfilo posted:

Chuds have this assumption that leftists are bound by some byzantine kind of "vampire rules" in discussions. They see people express empathy and think they can trick the leftist into empathizing with some horrible strawman they put up and when the leftist doesn't take the bait they kind of crack ping in the conversation.

Tim Pool did it with Emma Vigeland in the debate they had today-Tim accused her of being intolerant and dumb "and that's why nobody invites you anywhere". He expected her to dispute this, to come up with counter examples to disprove him. Instead she just shrugs and says "I don't care." which drives Tim nuts.

Something about how they're so used to literal debate club and decorum-poisoned liberals desperately trying to be Serious And Bipartisan and befuddled by their gish gallops, they cannot handle someone who doesn't think they deserve respect and tells them to gently caress off.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Andos El Pantos posted:

Why does he have what looks like a flintlock pistol crossed with a katana next to a guitar? What on earth do any of those have to do with each other?

It's cargo cult masculinity. He associates those things with masculinity, so he hopes that by surrounding himself with masculine totems his viewers will see him as more manly.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Volcott posted:

Is it a pirate gun or a tanegashima? The second option would make more sense but it's still real fucky interior decorating.

Tanegashima were matchlocks. That's a flintlock. I'd be willing to bet that I could find that exact model "replica" (toy) for sale online for thirty bucks or so.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Ah, good to know.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol at manchildren like Pool and musk having toy guns.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Something about how they're so used to literal debate club and decorum-poisoned liberals desperately trying to be Serious And Bipartisan and befuddled by their gish gallops, they cannot handle someone who doesn't think they deserve respect and tells them to gently caress off.

Right here. It's so funny how MAD he gets.
https://twitter.com/MattLech/status/1672267439608848385?t=PJ5ZDNdY88EJDj9nXjFLtQ&s=19
:byodood:"WHOOPSIE!"

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/whacknicholson/status/1672445700636913666?s=46&t=LuWlVigXSHv3TXi-WVRPYA

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I would go on a free sub cruise to see the Titanic, if I showed up for it and it was the Titan, I would turn the gently caress around and say "Nope."

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Air Skwirl posted:

I would go on a free sub cruise to see the Titanic, if I showed up for it and it was the Titan, I would turn the gently caress around and say "Nope."

Decorum would force me to my certain violent death, it would be so impolite to say anything

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Biplane posted:

Decorum would force me to my certain violent death, it would be so impolite to say anything

:hmmyes:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
what's cringier, Tim Pool's stable of beanies or Ben Shapiro's "greetings fellow nazis I am definitely not wearing a kipph, please do not look at my head"?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In fairness you really can't see it unless you look most of the time. It's going to be funny when he gets old and has to spend 20 hours a day with his head stuck in a vat of dye so that he can keep it hidden.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i never had any jewish culture around me growing up so im amazed at how subtle shapiros yarmulke is tbh

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

what's cringier, Tim Pool's stable of beanies or Ben Shapiro's "greetings fellow nazis I am definitely not wearing a kipph, please do not look at my head"?

Does he actually wear different beanies, or is he like my mate Sean when we were like 18 and just wears the same beanie all the time without ever washing it?
I’m not going to watch enough timple videos to find out, but maybe someone out there hatewatches enough to tell me

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

In fairness you really can't see it unless you look most of the time. It's going to be funny when he gets old and has to spend 20 hours a day with his head stuck in a vat of dye so that he can keep it hidden.

wouldnt it be easier to get a lighter , gray or white colored kipph

are there rules on colors or design?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

PhazonLink posted:

They'd all still be a lot more visible than his current black on black

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Transparent one, maybe.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The cope is real.

https://twitter.com/gcal2600/status/1672454414395932672

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I see that Twitter handke. I read each letter to form the correct words.

But I still process it as "clownpenis.fart"

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

PhazonLink posted:

As with most everything concerning conservative/orthodox Jewish life, yes. It generally comes down to the specific traditions of the strain of Judaism you follow but dark black velvet kippah is a common marker for the orthodoxy

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

What, from their brains cooking?

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Air Skwirl posted:

I wouldn't have been able to tell, honestly, that it was basically some hack's ramshackle project. If nothing else what this story has taught me is to stay the hell away from the deep sea, no matter how I might get there.

Clerical Terrors has a new favorite as of 17:40 on Jun 24, 2023

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Clerical Terrors posted:

I wouldn't have been able to tell, honestly, that it was basically some hack's ramshackle project. If nothing else what this story has taught me is to stay the hell away from the deep sea, no matter how I might get there.
It (the ocean) is sketchy enough, and absolutely willing to kill you at the surface. Only gets worse the further down you go.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
https://twitter.com/TheQuartering/status/1672569194162933761

https://twitter.com/shaun_vids/status/1672674316251455488?t

Shaun is not the idiot

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Esqueer_/status/1672409717694513152

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean I do t think the Wagner group is going to change much for you there

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean I do t think the Wagner group is going to change much for you there

Well Wagner have wussed out now, but had they continued forward, every time someone on each side died, an anti-LGBT regime lost a soldier.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Might kill a couple of the people in charge maybe, bit of spiteful joy to be found there. Still probably not great for the actual people living there though.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

clicked on this and it was already deleted lol

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i like how the "younger" regressive have the npc meme when their side constantly barks the same poo poo or theyre sooo predictible that people can forecast their dumb takes in advance.

also a story sooo fast, that within hours it might not even be a blip.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Maybe I'm the idiot but this can't possibly be true, can it? I remember getting mosquito bites when I was child who had never drank a drop of alcohol in my life.

https://twitter.com/JasonIsbell/status/1672673960146743299?s=20

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Air Skwirl posted:

Maybe I'm the idiot but this can't possibly be true, can it? I remember getting mosquito bites when I was child who had never drank a drop of alcohol in my life.

https://twitter.com/JasonIsbell/status/1672673960146743299?s=20

How would the mosquitos know unless they have already started drinking your blood? Do they check your breath first?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I thought they were attracted to animal breath, but like, animals don't drink alcohol, and mozzies bite anything.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

SimonChris posted:

How would the mosquitos know unless they have already started drinking your blood? Do they check your breath first?

I assume they can smell your sweat or something. The alcohol thing is clearly nonsense but bugs are attracted more to some people than to others. My sister is a magnet for bug bites, but I seem to get away without.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SimonChris posted:

I would assume alcohol changes the smell of your sweat to some degree that maybe a mosquito could detect, except again, I got bit by mosquitos quite a bit as a child, whereas now I don't ever get bitten, I suspect that has more to do with me not having been camping in a while but it could be the opposite of what he said is true and now mosquitos don't want to bite me because of my borderline functional alcoholism.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

maybe the mosquitos just think you are ugly

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Mosquitos always used to go after my dad and ignored me. He developed anemia for a few months, though, and for those few months they ignored him and bit the poo poo out of me. Once the anemia went away they went back to swarming him and ignoring me.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Several studies have shown a correlation between alcohol consumption and number of mosquito bites, but I have no idea if the actual causal link is known - ie what makes people who have been drinking more attractive to mosquitos. It doesn't seem to be related to ethanol content in sweat or anything like that.

Mosquitos have an incredibly keen sense of smell that is different from that of other insects and isn't well understood. Historically we thought that they could detect CO2 from animal exhalation - and they do, and CO2 emitting mosquito attractant traps are very effective - but it's not the whole story. An experiment with GM mosquitos that had the CO2 chemosensory receptors deactivated didn't show much difference in ability to detect and bite people.

More research needed, essentially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

SimonChris posted:

Mosquitos react to certain substances like acetic acid, which is one of the things your body breaks alcohol down into. You also naturally have some of this in your bodily fluids, so the sweat and respiration you do already attracts them, but someone metabolizing alcohol could produce more.
A whole bunch of stuff like diet, blood type, and medical conditions will affect what your body secretes and expels, which in turn also affect the makeup of things like the bacteria in and on you give off, which can further attract or fail to attract mosquitos.