Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
How do you say Outer Heaven in Russian?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

So, looks like there will be no speech... at all. "Putin will not make any further comment on the issue. The invasion of Ukraine will continue as normal."

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

So, looks like there will be no speech... at all. "Putin will not make any further comment on the issue. The invasion of Ukraine will continue as normal."

When everything is under control and going great :thumbsup:

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Where are you getting this from?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Deformed Church posted:

Honestly Wagner shifting wholly to Africa sounds pretty decent for them?

They can consolidate their mining other plundering activities, which at this point are probably more profitable than fighting directly for the Russian military, and there's relatively little opposition or even oversight for whatever horrible poo poo they feel like doing. It's gotta beat Bakhmut, right?

They'll probably build what essentially amounts to their own nation state out there.

Once again, Hideo Kojima has successfully predicted the future.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Where are you getting this from?

Peskov apparently
https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1672694824120512512?s=20

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
1) The rebellion leader gets cold feet and looks like a dumb idiot after saying he'd replace the president and settling for scraps
2) The president flees the capital and appears like a dumb coward dealing with someone he just called a traitor
3) ???

I don't understand Russian politics.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Lukashenko comes over and says "look you two, stop fighting and make up" and Putin and Prigozhin look down, apologise and walk away.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1672692778604670986

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Jaxyon posted:

Either way, the next six months will be critical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fTQClzea70

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Prigozhin is going to hang out in Belarus, as per the Guardian's liveblog:

quote:

The Wagner mercenary force chief, Yevgeny Prigozhin, will move to Belarus under the deal brokered by Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko to end the armed mutiny that Prigozhin had led against Russia’s military leadership, the Kremlin said on Saturday night.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Lukashenko had offered to mediate, with Russian President Vladimir Putin’s agreement, because he had known Prigozhin personally for around 20 years.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Thoughts on the situation from Anders Puck Nielsen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxDykKhCYAA

Credit to him for getting a video out on this so quickly!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

would be really hard to spin the legitimacy of this war to the russian people after all this. I know they'll try but like goddamn, poo poo is backfiring hardcore. like someone else said even if the coup fails civil war follows.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Prigozhin is going to hang out in Belarus, as per the Guardian's liveblog:

It's really difficult to imagine Prigozhan still being alive six months from now.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Thanks! Very weird ending, if that's what this is. Have to imagine there's a lot more happening behind the scenes, but I don't know if we'll ever find out what.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

whydirt posted:

How do you say Outer Heaven in Russian?

"Vyshe Homiel", apparently. luka got some balls letting coup bro settle down in his backyard

i envy whoever gets to play Peskov in the forthcoming Iannucci film. fuckin lol, after all this you trot out ol' sandy mustache?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

My initial lukewarm take on what happened is that Prigo saw his position was untenable with these changes to how mercenaries were used by the MoD and launched this to get precisely what he got: a free ride out of town and the possibility of making his own little mercenary kingdom somewhere else. That Russia is totally destabilized didn't matter.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

would be really hard to spin the legitimacy of this war to the russian people after all this. I know they'll try but like goddamn, poo poo is backfiring hardcore. like someone else said even if the coup fails civil war follows.

Yeah, everyone saw that the Russian troops won't shoot other Russian troops and might even join them, the security forces have nothing to stop a mechanized force, none of Russia's foreign allies will help them, and if someone can gather more than a division, they can advance toward the capitol without resistance. Also, Putin can blink.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

It's really difficult to imagine Prigozhan still being alive six months from now.

It's gonna be awkward when GRU and HUR try to assassinate him simultaneously.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

"I think it's pretty clear what happened here"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

there was no coup and everything's fine, stop asking

what a ridiculous 36 hours

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

So just to confirm, we still haven’t actually seen Putin?

Does anybody else feel like that’s weird?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

So just to confirm, we still haven’t actually seen Putin?

Does anybody else feel like that’s weird?

He spoke with the PM of Armenia since Wagner backed down apparently

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1672677784555069440

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Thoughtless posted:

1) The rebellion leader gets cold feet and looks like a dumb idiot after saying he'd replace the president and settling for scraps
2) The president flees the capital and appears like a dumb coward dealing with someone he just called a traitor
3) ???

I don't understand Russian politics.

Ever since the invasion kicked off I’ve learned that a lot of things that seem insane to westerners aren’t actually insane, because the actors are working within a system that has very strange rules and these backwards actions make sense in the context of that. And yeah on top of that people are fallible and no real decision is made without emotions entirely yadda yadda.

But I have no idea where to begin with what happened here lol.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Like a real rockstar. The man of the people.

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1672703994710441984?s=20

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

No way a dictator agrees to terms like this unless he was 100% screwed otherwise

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

A lot of Wagner soldiers have families in Rostov so not that surprising

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Anders Puck Nielsen has a video up on this insanity

https://youtu.be/ZxDykKhCYAA

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

FuturePastNow posted:

No way a dictator agrees to terms like this unless he was 100% screwed otherwise

I thought it was the entire point that nobody can tell you what to do if you’re a dictator, but maybe I was mistaken 🤔🤔🤔

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Edit: Whoops, removed.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
This is really fascinating. So Lukashenko turns out to be the honest broker. (Well, so far.)

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Ynglaur posted:

This is really fascinating. So Lukashenko turns out to be the honest broker. (Well, so far.)

Lol till grampa mercenary man falls out a window onto some polonium or whatever

EmployeeOfTheMonth
Jul 28, 2005
It's the positive attitude that does it
Man this had the potential to end this war in Ukraine. What a bummer. If only they had taken out some more attack helicopters.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
This sure was a lot of effort just to win a ticket to exile and eventual assassination.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Looking at what actually happened and thinking about it...this might SORT of make a twisted sort of sense from Prighozin's perspective, maybe? Here's one possibility, anyways.

So Prighozin learns that Wagner is going to get folded into the MoD proper. This is bad news for him, it means he loses his power base at best and is potentially at risk of his life at worst after all the poo poo that's gone down between him and the MoD. He decides that it's do or die time, and is aware from his position that Russia is potentially vulnerable to a coup. Great! Head for Moscow, sit in the top seat, problems solved, right?

Except he's going to be taking over an administration staffed entirely by Putin creatures which he can't possibly easily purge or replace in a short time. He'll have no real legitimacy other than power by gunpoint, except the only guns he can truly count on to the end are the very small force that is Wagner - meanwhile, he'll have ensured lasting beef between him and the Ministry of Defense, i.e. the guys with all the guns. He definitely WON'T have Putin's control over the FSB and other security services that Putin used to keep people loyal to him, and he'll have just blazed a great big shining example of how someone can overthrow a Russian leader. Even if he could overcome such internal issues, he's also going to be in charge of a pariah state locked in an unwinnable quagmire war groaning under international sanctions which, even if he was Putin's designated successor in a peaceful handover of power, is hardly an attractive prospect. So yes, he COULD potentially take over Russia, but it'd be an open question how long he could hold it, and it'll be a lot harder for him to find a way out once he's sitting in that top seat. It's not an attractive option, but it might look better than the alternative of waiting to die.

But what if there was another alternative? What if he used the open THREAT of a coup to force Putin to allow him to decamp somewhere with as much of his personal wealth and power as he can carry, hopefully to a country where he can be safe (would Luka have taken Prigozhin in if he'd just deserted Wagner one night?), all while causing enough chaos at home that Putin's hopefully too busy trying to fight off other coups to worry too much about assassinating Prigozhin? Heck, if someone ELSE takes over, that might even allow him to come back to Russia and claim to have been fighting against Putin all along, maybe slot into the new power structure and dynamic in a less high-stakes position than the actual top seat.

Maybe that was the plan all along, maybe it was something Luka suggested as a way out of Prigozhin's dilemma. Or maybe I'm just talking out my rear end, I dunno. But you can SORTA see how the actions so far might make a certain kind of sense if you assume that Prigozhin is entirely in it for number one and number one alone, and he doesn't actually view leadership of Russia as a desirable goal, just at best better than some of the alternatives. Maybe this is genuinely the best way he can see to getting himself out of the hole he was in before without jumping into a newer, bigger hole with more spikes in it?

Or maybe 24 hours from now he'll just say "Nope talks fell through sneaky treacherous Putin onwards to Moscow after all!" I really have no clue. Just because it sorta makes a certain kind of cock-eyed sense doesn't mean it makes a lot of sense.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

EmployeeOfTheMonth posted:

Man this had the potential to end this war in Ukraine. What a bummer. If only they had taken out some more attack helicopters.

Kind of feel bad for the Ukrainians that might have had some small hope that this might somehow end the invasion.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Wonder if Luka wants some muscle (of questionable loyalty) or it's just a lot stop before going back to looting Africa?
https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1672695982423678977

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

hell of a retirement plan priggy's got

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

FuturePastNow posted:

That sounds like it was already planned and some sort of compromise for Wagner joining MOD. Maybe the mutiny was just an elaborate attempt to get a bunch of internet posters Ukraine to do something aggressive and overplay their hand in the confusion.