Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I played a boygenius video and YouTube sensibly put on other boygenius videos and songs by one of the trio. Then about six or seven videos in autoplay starts playing Twenty One Pilots songs.

Not like I particularily hate 21 p and it's normal for autoplay to switch up artists after a handful of songs. But what is going on with the AI? Or does YT get paid by the big labels to do this?

Or is YouTube like 'bitch, you've spent enough time being melancholy and twee and pretentious Ima put on some normal people music'?

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Bright Bart posted:

I just discovered Phoebe Bridgers.

Check this out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ9-xN6dCW4
It starts off as a typical ballad and not particularly special. You can play it in the background while browsing. Then a couple of minutes in it becomes something else entirely. A minute after that it becomes Come In Feel The Illinoise!

Sadly I think this is only song where PB channels Sufjan Stevens.

And you know how I said you can let it play in the background? Well you can. But know that the top comment on YouTube as of right now is "didn't expect to see phoebe bridgers dressed as a skeleton while she passionately kisses an elderly woman but here we are".

Oh man, Punisher is one of my favorite albums in a long, long while. In addition to just being great on its own merits, Phoebe went over the top on remote performances during covid, so if you ever get bored you should wander around Youtube looking at all the weird poo poo she did to keep it fresh when nobody could do very much.

This is my favorite example, of the same song you posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9KYQ_tnTtc

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Trig Discipline posted:

Oh man, Punisher is one of my favorite albums in a long, long while. In addition to just being great on its own merits, Phoebe went over the top on remote performances during covid, so if you ever get bored you should wander around Youtube looking at all the weird poo poo she did to keep it fresh when nobody could do very much.

This is my favorite example, of the same song you posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9KYQ_tnTtc

You also get things like this

Arlo Parks & Phoebe Bridgers - Fake Plastic Trees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKPaA3p3bJU

If you like a cover then the Radio 1 sessions are a fun place to look because traditionally you come on for a session, play your hit then play a tour cover or one you're prepared for it. That why we have Harry Styles covering Wet Leg or Christine and the Queens covering Lenny Kravitz

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jun 21, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

"Oh man" right back! Thank you for this! From what I've seen so far it seems none of the trio really switch up the lyrics in different performances but the delivery is tweaked. Like just the way she pronounces the word "mean" elevated the verse.

My only quibble is that the scream is too short.

e: Also it's worth noting that Phoebe's collaborator Julien Baker sometimes, not always but sometimes, comes off as one of the most effortless cool persons I can think of off the bat.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 21, 2023

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7C43YOYGdo

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Bright Bart posted:

What is it about Brooklyn Steel and KEXP that make every performance fire?

Of course acoustics and technical factors like equipment play a role. And they are just well recorded. But it seems that every act brings their A game.

Highly recommend searching for these recordings of your favourite big name indie artists. KEXP performances often make the album version sound like a mixtape. The quality is that high.

Cannot wait for Young Fathers at Brooklyn Steel, the percussion is gunna loving sing in there

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Does Elephant Gym fall in the purview of this thread because there are preorders for a reissue of their first record Angle on vinyl if anyone likes bands like Toe and American Football but less sad sounding?

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW367HtrXE0

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 21, 2023

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Wasn't a huge fan of Caroline Polachek's first solo album beyond So Hot and Pang but I must admit DIWTTIY is pretty dang good. The shuffly ethereal tracks like Butterfly Net, Blood & Butter and Pretty In Possible work really well with her baroque vocoder style and I don't even hate the Grimes guest spot. Anyway, thanks for listening to my six month late album review.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My 5 year old daughter loves Phoebe Bridgers initially based on that skeleton tshirt Phoebe wears (that is her style too) but then she kept asking to watch more and more of her videos and she just rocks out. She asks for Phoebe where her older sister will ask for katy perry or taylor swift lol

She’s totally going to be the cool girl at school :coal:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Aramoro posted:

You also get things like this

Arlo Parks & Phoebe Bridgers - Fake Plastic Trees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKPaA3p3bJU

If you like a cover then the Radio 1 sessions are a fun place to look because traditionally you come on for a session, play your hit then play a tour cover or one you're prepared for it. That why we have Harry Styles covering Wet Leg or Christine and the Queens covering Lenny Kravitz

Radio 1 Sessions are fine but the superior radio station covers collection is Australia’s Triple J and their Like a Version series. They just uploaded a shitload of older ones and it’s fun to watch the evolution from nothing but slow acoustic covers of everything to having really wild covers, some very authentic and some very different.

https://youtu.be/ZY4ywyFXdik

https://youtu.be/9ZrSV5HZhss

https://youtu.be/nC_k8j8YwjU

https://youtu.be/a13WnqsRc5g

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
the version of chemtrails over the country club that hayley Mary did on triple j is much better than Lana's imo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9wDq1gYJgw

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I saw boygenius last night and it was the loudest crowd I have ever heard. Also, I’ve n ever been at this big of a show where the entire crowd sounded like they were singing .

Also, funny that Broken Social Scene opened for them (in Toronto!!) and no one seemed to care. They opened because boygenius asked them to because all three are such huge fans.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Twin Cinema posted:

I saw boygenius last night and it was the loudest crowd I have ever heard. Also, I’ve n ever been at this big of a show where the entire crowd sounded like they were singing .

Also, funny that Broken Social Scene opened for them (in Toronto!!) and no one seemed to care. They opened because boygenius asked them to because all three are such huge fans.

I’m seeing them Saturday night I’m super pumped, I feel like the first time I hear them do their awesome harmony stuff I’m going to ascend

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I really hope they schedule some dates in Philly.

Anyway scored slowdive tickets today

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZvqPkpMB3M

https://consequence.net/2023/06/justin-vernon-bon-iver-holocene-early-version-stream/

Early version of Bon Iver's Holocene from '05/'06

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Twin Cinema posted:

They had one decent album 20 years ago.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Ratios and Tendency posted:

They had one decent album 20 years ago.

You're not exactly wrong but I'm still not happy about it.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Twin Cinema posted:

I saw boygenius last night and it was the loudest crowd I have ever heard. Also, I’ve n ever been at this big of a show where the entire crowd sounded like they were singing.

Man I had that experience at one of Ben Folds' piano shows back in the early aughts and it was just so lovely that I'll never forget it.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB6R4VuzCzw

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

They might be for my money the best band in the world right now

https://youtu.be/C47H4mOq6Ho

Love the countrified Silk Chiffon but oh my god that Stayaway performance was a tearjerker.p

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I saw MUNA live last September and they were incredible. Stayaway is always a standout and I've come to prefer the performances of Silk Chiffon where Naomi gets to sing the second verse. Josette is pure sex onstage, there's no other way to describe it.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

MGMT song came on autoplay and this one top comment was all 'Hey did you that know the band has said their earlier work was a joke and parody poking fun at bad taste?'. The responses were arguing what was meant.

If remotely true what I have to say to that is this: Buddy(s), you made a music video themed around the Bacchae, you don't get to turn around and say you were doing it to show indie fans are dumb. That itself would be incredibly pretentious.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jun 24, 2023

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The eternal dilemma of when your unserious joke material is also your best.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I hate that whole "our aesthetic was actually a parody of this thing that we were." It's just the laziest justification for anything.

Oh, I wasn't being sexist, I was making fun of sexism.

Oh, I didn't make a bad song, I was making fun of a bad song.

Oh, I didn't break into a jewelry store and stole all the jewels, I was making fun of the idea of breaking into a jewelry store and stealing all the jewels.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
MGMT are full of poo poo. Obviously hurts them the more they try hard the less people wanna listen

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

xpost from the vinyl thread for anyone interested itt

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

animal collective apparently sent out random 12"s of their new 21 minute (!) single Defeat to a bunch of random fans yesterday, jealous of them. great song, this was a stunner in their last tour and has been in the works since i think 2018. i've heard a lot of versions and was hoping they could do it justice in the studio..... i think they did. official release/announcement supposedly coming next week, and hopefully album announcement too

here's a youtube rip of p good quality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAgktdRJ0C0

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Cemetry Gator posted:

I hate that whole "our aesthetic was actually a parody of this thing that we were." It's just the laziest justification for anything.

Oh, I wasn't being sexist, I was making fun of sexism.

Oh, I didn't make a bad song, I was making fun of a bad song.

Oh, I didn't break into a jewelry store and stole all the jewels, I was making fun of the idea of breaking into a jewelry store and stealing all the jewels.

Oh yes but I *like* early MGMT so for me it's not about them excusing something bad.

So for me this would be less than the examples you give and more like a novelist publishing their debut rated by both readers and critics then years later saying they were making fun of the reader.

If you tell a joke and everyone thinks it's decent poetry you're a poor teller of jokes and the joke is on you.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 24, 2023

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
I’m not even that big of an MGMT fan but how could anyone possibly interpret Oracular Spectacular as a “parody of bad taste” in 2007

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Big City Drinkin posted:

I’m not even that big of an MGMT fan but how could anyone possibly interpret Oracular Spectacular as a “parody of bad taste” in 2007

I think everybody is misremembering what they said 16 or 17 years ago or whatever. They said they started the band as a joke to annoy their fellow classmates at whatever elite private college they went to, and it ended up turning into a real thing.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
The Pitchfork review for the new King Gizz is a misfire of Tool-level proportions good lord.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Pitchfork is a series of concerts and sometimes a venue; it's not a worthwhile music publication

change my mind

Nihonniboku posted:

I think everybody is misremembering what they said 16 or 17 years ago or whatever. They said they started the band as a joke to annoy their fellow classmates at whatever elite private college they went to, and it ended up turning into a real thing.

Pewn. Because I'm listening autoplay stirred something and I'm listening through O S right now. It's easier to like it without thinking the artists are condescending jerks even if I could probably swing enjoying it extra hard out toof spite.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 24, 2023

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Bright Bart posted:

Pitchfork is a series of concerts and sometimes a venue; it's not a worthwhile music publication

change my mind

I don't know, there was that classic review where it was just a video of a chimpanzee drinking its own piss

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Nightmare Cinema posted:

The Pitchfork review for the new King Gizz is a misfire of Tool-level proportions good lord.

The Anthony Fantano review of it was enthusiastic enough to get me to check it out and I dug it. He loving loved it!

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Nihonniboku posted:

I don't know, there was that classic review where it was just a video of a chimpanzee drinking its own piss

They don't give anything less than a 6.0 nowadays.

5.4 is practically a light 1 for Nu Pitchfork.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Nihonniboku posted:

And don't forget this from their Kid A review lmao

quote:

The experience and emotions tied to listening to Kid A are like witnessing the stillborn birth of a child while simultaneously having the opportunity to see her play in the afterlife on Imax.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Rageaholic posted:

The experience and emotions tied to listening to Kid A are like witnessing the stillborn birth of a child while simultaneously having the opportunity to see her play in the afterlife on Imax.
god help me music criticism, positive or negative, is the worst form of writing imaginable

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The Kid A review actually rules. Stop hating on it.

Pitchforks reviews were a lot more interesting when they were weirder. Every now and then a fun one sneaks through (their LDR reviews are all very good, the review for Chemtrails is an all timer). I went down a bit of a rabbit hole the other day and discovered their review for Elephant compares the white stripes to church’s fried chicken which is hysterical

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Man...cmon

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

All publications with a review staff are gonna be hit and miss and change over the years, it’s just the nature of criticism. Like right now Pitchfork has surprisingly good rap coverage that goes well beyond the most popular poo poo, and is no longer white_guy_talking_rap.txt, but that’s not because of the publication as a whole, just a few really good writers

Having pubs like that is good even when they suck because the alternative is just hoping that a solo critic both gets popular enough to stick around and doesn’t start to suck when they get big

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I don't think it's super cool in this thread to call people out for liking things so I'll just say

I don't know what that is. But it would never play in a Starbucks and it's certainly not NPR approved.