Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Thanks, I keep blowing my gold on inventory and bank upgrades but I'll save some up for a house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

The trumpet solo emote has sound and I cannot wait hear every single city sound like a vuvuzela convention.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

MH Knights posted:

The trumpet solo emote has sound and I cannot wait hear every single city sound like a vuvuzela convention.

I will be doing my part. The poor citizens of Riften.

noveria
Feb 24, 2015
I avoided PTS details about Necrom, so I am pleasantly surprised that Sharp-as-Night has the same VA as Garrus from Mass Effect. Feels very nostalgic hearing that voice again while running around!

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

[1950s eel-based dad joke]
I really like the Arcanist class, I made one just to experiment and I think I might go redo the story with them and use them as my main character.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

PatentPending posted:

I really like the Arcanist class, I made one just to experiment and I think I might go redo the story with them and use them as my main character.

My main has been a sorc forever, but my plan when necrom hits console is to remake them as an arcanist too. It just fits better.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
I've pretty much only played a magsorc through everything, intrigued by this love for the arcanist though! How does it play?

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

[1950s eel-based dad joke]
I’m swapping between an inferno staff bar with the arcanist first skill line of ranged dps, and then once enemies get up close swapping to a sword and shield bar with second and third line skills that throw armor on me, start healing, and get some ‘damage enemies when they hit you going’ until I can reposition back to swap to ranged dps. Also there’s a tempo in that some skills generate, and some spend, a resource called Crux which I don’t understand beyond needing to balance between generating and spending.

I’m sure my build is horribly suboptimal but I’m having a good time. My other character is a 2h stamina dragonknight and it’s a very different way to play.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Post ur arcanists

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

valuum posted:

I've pretty much only played a magsorc through everything, intrigued by this love for the arcanist though! How does it play?

I'm on console so no firsthand experience but I lurk several discords that did heavy pts testing.

My love for it is because it looks/feels more wizardy, which is extremely my poo poo. I told one of my friends the Arc was gonna be my new main even if my bars had to be nothing but fighters guild and weapon skills. :v:

And as for feel, general consensus puts it somewhere between templar and necromancer.
The resource gen/spend mechanic does dictate a certain flow to a rotation which feels very different from the regular weave>skill>weave>skill rotation. If you've played a necro and juggled blastbones, this won't be too much different.

About 40-50% of your dps will probably be the fatecarver beam. If you're familiar with templar, this isn't too far from jabs as far as how much of your rotation on a plar is just jabs, its just less button pushes because its a channel instead.

So your basic rotation is drop dots, build resource (crux), do a beam, refresh dots, repeat. Drop your ult when its up.

The beam itself is funky, the channel is 6 seconds or so and has to be aimed manually, so every x seconds you just kinda stand there not doing anything for 6 seconds and just aim. Understandably, some folks hate this or find it boring, others think its cool as hell.

Ymmv, Arcanist is a land of contrasts.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

The thought of grinding everything up again will keep me away from Arcanist, or any new character really. Oakensoul scry grind alone sucks, let alone all the guilds and.. just everything. They need to make most things account wide by now.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Barreft posted:

They need to make most things account wide by now.

some stuff is, if you use crowns, but that feels worse than just doing it again honestly

noveria
Feb 24, 2015

Mover posted:

Post ur arcanists

She is level 3. I'm trying to play through the story first on my Necro since she's most likely to 'recognize' any recurring characters or plot points since she's gone through the most content so far.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

My current wild hair is that I want to play some kind of MMO on my Steam Deck and this game looks like it might have the controller support and endless solo faff around content that I'm looking for. I played the game around the original launch and it was a pretty fun time before I got pulled away by whatever WoW expansion it was.

Which leads me to the question of: if I want a Big Armor, Big Weapon lifestyle, what are some good classes/builds to look at and what do I need to buy to access what I'm looking for? I like to play around with the Moonlight Greatsword in Dark Souls, so all of the above plus shooting magic lasers occasionally would be extra value.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Mover posted:

Post ur arcanists

Lizard bois rise up.

Barreft posted:

The thought of grinding everything up again will keep me away from Arcanist, or any new character really. Oakensoul scry grind alone sucks, let alone all the guilds and.. just everything. They need to make most things account wide by now.

You can reconstruct mythics at a transmute station so you don't need to level scrying on all your toons. Hell most crafting isn't necessary on more than one. Mage's Guild sucks but it's more niche in terms of builds than Fighters is, and Psijic is annoying but not really necessary most of the time. Fighters and Undaunted will max themselves out in time in my experience.

Xalidur posted:

My current wild hair is that I want to play some kind of MMO on my Steam Deck and this game looks like it might have the controller support and endless solo faff around content that I'm looking for. I played the game around the original launch and it was a pretty fun time before I got pulled away by whatever WoW expansion it was.

Which leads me to the question of: if I want a Big Armor, Big Weapon lifestyle, what are some good classes/builds to look at and what do I need to buy to access what I'm looking for? I like to play around with the Moonlight Greatsword in Dark Souls, so all of the above plus shooting magic lasers occasionally would be extra value.

Any class in a stamina build can fufill the Big Armor Big Weapon dealio. You'll want to wear medium armor but you can use the outfit system to give it the appearance of heavy.

As for the second part, it's not quite "lasers" but Sorceror has a skill that tosses crystals, and can proc for quick casts and heavy damage basically by pressing any other button. It also has the ability to conjure magical knives by attacking that you can sic on enemies up to 4 at a time. If that's what you'd want to go for here's the core skills and morphs I think you'd want to go for:

Two Handed:
Uppercut -> Wrecking Blow (Constant damage when you have nothing better to hit, also gives +10% damage to everything for 4 seconds)
Cleave -> Either Morph (AoE. Carve morph adds a DoT that's useful even on single target, Brawler adds survivability that grows with the number of things you hit with it)

Dark Magic:
Crystal Shards -> Crystal Fragments (Ranged single target damage, chance of a proc when using nearly any skill that makes it do more damage than Wrecking Blow)

Daedric Summoning:
Bound Armor -> Bound Armaments (Generate knives by attacking while active, use again to throw knives for burst damage)
(Keep another skill from Daedric Summoning on your bar to level it until you can get this)

Fill the rest of the slots with whatever you want. Most solo stuff in this game is very easy to just mess around and have a gay old time.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Xalidur posted:

Well, any class can use any weapon. Yes, the tippy top 0.0001% hardest poo poo ever in game has optimal choices but for most of everything else anything really does work.

You want a 2h sword? Great, go for it.

Heavy armor? Statwise you only want heavy for tanking or pvp, but the outfit station has you covered. You can make your dude look like heavy armor no matter what you're wearing for stats.

Shooting magic lasers?
Templars are a base game class, they can do that as a class skill.

The soul magic skill line available to everyone can do it (the skill kinda sucks, but it exists)

Some sets can do that (zaan monster set, you'll be playing for a little while before you can get this)

Necromancers don't really shoot lasers, but they can do tether beams to corpses that can damage, heal, or give resources. You gotta buy the class, so that might be a deal breaker, but they are fun as hell.

The new Arcanist class can do beams too, but requires you buy the new chapter, Necrom. (You might want to wait and see if you like ESO before dropping the cash tbh)

Edit: as for builds, everything is hybrid now. Which means all skills will do damage based on whichever stat is highest, but you'll choose your highest stat based on what you'll use most often.

So your basic resource pools are stamina, magicka, and health.

Health is health, easy. Don't put points here, your food buffs will handle this.

For everything else, you want either mag or stam. Go all in on one, don't split points between them.

The deciding factor is what skills cost, melee weapons, fighters guild and their associated skills cost stamina. mages guild, and staves cost mag. The skills from your class will have different 'morphs' and you'll very often be able to choose a mag morph of a stam skill or vice versa.

All this to say, whatever the skills you use most cost is where you should put all your points. If 3/4ths of your skills use stam, you want the biggest stam pool so you can cast those as often as you need.

But, with hybridization, there may also be some mag skills that you'll use. They will be just as effective, but you'll cast them less often due to having less mag.

One nice thing about ESO is that respeccing is cheap and easy, and you don't lose skill progress. So you can absolutely experiment as much as you like.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 10, 2023

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Thanks for the tips and ideas. I went ahead and bought the base game, and that Sorcerer build sounds pretty cool, so I may well try that. It looks like I can get some summoned friends while I'm at it, which is fun.

What faction/realm/whatever do the PC goons play on these days?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Xalidur posted:

Thanks for the tips and ideas. I went ahead and bought the base game, and that Sorcerer build sounds pretty cool, so I may well try that. It looks like I can get some summoned friends while I'm at it, which is fun.

Are you playing on your steam deck? It works!

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Doctor Zero posted:

Are you playing on your steam deck? It works!

I will indeed be on the Deck! Looked like this or Guild Wars 2 were my best options and I've got way more of a hankering for Elder Scrolls shenanigans.

noveria
Feb 24, 2015

Xalidur posted:

Our PC guild on NA is Ebonheart Pact affiliated and called Chill Bros Chat Lounge, but since guild memberships are linked to account not character (you can join up to 5 guilds per account and you'll have access to them on all chars), you don't need to have an EP char to join. Frankly, there's only a handful of us active, and it's mostly a place to share items. The guild bank has a pretty steady supply of stuff to help you level crafting, style motifs (for fashion), food/drink recipes, event goodies, companion gear, furnishings, consumables, etc. I think most people have alts in diff alliances anyway so if you wanted someone to PVP with someone else online it probably wouldn't be too hard. I think any of us can invite if you need it, so just post your @accountname in the thread if you want invited.

I think pretty much the only limit is that if you wanted to claim a Keep in Cyrodiil in the name of Chill Bros Chat Lounge you'd have to be doing it on an EP char. I'm not even 100% sure what that does beyond plastering the guild name on all the NPCs there, though...

So I would recommend just going with whichever race/alliance appeals to you the most. The different alliances have their own dedicated storylines and zones, but you can of course go and do other alliance/zone storylines if you want (you'll actually be prompted to do this anyway after you finish primary alliance & main plot storylines). Races have slight passive boosts but tbh it's not the biggest deal unless you like to min/max.

Also, I've thought for awhile that Tales of Tribute (card minigame you can unlock in High Isle) would be really nice to play on mobile somehow (either Steam Deck or trying to stream to my tablet, haven't tried the latter yet and don't have a Steam Deck myself) so if you like card games that's a plus for you too.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I do love card games in my RPGs. I'll keep that in mind if stick with the game long enough to throw in some more dollars.

I went with Ebonheart Pact as it so happens, as I like its three races the best anyway, and it was what I played originally--but I forget roughly 97% of the storyline. I was able to link steam to my old account where my level 40 Dragon Knight was sitting. I figure I can flip over to him if Sorcerer isn't doing it for me at some point and I feel like burning whips might be better.

The game is lots of fun so far. I had forgotten how much it looks/feel/smells like an Elder Scrolls more so than a WoW clone.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Ebonheart pact is also cool because it centers on the most popular Elder Scrolls settings from previous games (Morrowind and Skyrim) and the Argonian lands which are probably ESO's best addition to the lore. It really does make me want a traditional ES game set in Blackmarsh.

Also, their politics actually represent something kind of worth fighting for? Abolition of Argonian slavery as a cause is sadly doomed since it will still be rampant in the third era but hey, they're tryin'!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Hearing Arcanists don't have to light attack weave is tempting me to log back on

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Blockhouse posted:

Hearing Arcanists don't have to light attack weave is tempting me to log back on

It's less "they don't have to" and more "they spend a lot of time channeling a beam for 5s at a time". This synergizes well with the new mythic that dumpsters Light/Heavy attack damage but brings everything else up. You still have to Light Attack sometimes to maintain ultimate generation and enchantments but it's a lot less punishing to miss it.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
Arcanists sound really neat and interesting, but

Barreft posted:

The thought of grinding everything up again will keep me away

..yeah this :(

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I know it's still pretty early but is there a general consensus on the expac yet? Kind of tempted to jump in but I only play ultra casually so really only story content would be what I'm touching.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Blockhouse posted:

No classes have to weave.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I know it's still pretty early but is there a general consensus on the expac yet? Kind of tempted to jump in but I only play ultra casually so really only story content would be what I'm touching.

ehhhh

As long as you got Scrying and Oakensoul (High Isle I think?) I wouldn't rush to the new xpac as a fellow casual.

noveria
Feb 24, 2015
If you haven't finished Legerdemain, FYI: there is a lower-level exit in the Necrom Outlaw's Refuge, right next the downstairs Fence, that leads to a hallway full of urns to steal from but not a single guard or NPC to catch you. The urns reset every time you enter/exit the refuge, so you can very quickly hit your daily caps for laundering and selling stolen items.

Even if you have it maxed, I actually like it slightly more than the other urn farming areas for a few rounds of furnishing farming since you end up with some stuff to fence for gold instead of just piles of white gear with 0 gold resell value in the crypts.

It took me a few visits to the refuge to notice this, so though I'd share for anyone else who managed to overlook this little area as well.

Also, Azandar's companion perk is that every looted container has a chance to drop a 'research portfolio' which can contain crafting recipes, surveys, and treasure maps. I just finished his recruitment yesterday so haven't had a chance to really test it out much - so dunno what kind of odds or rarity pool you're working with, but I was leveling Sharp-as-Night because Lizard Garrus, so didn't grab Azandar yet until someone in my guild pointed this out.

noveria fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 16, 2023

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Are there any guilds that do PvP

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

lots, if you want to socialize and make some friends you're going to need to reach out to the ESO community and find a good one, the goon guild has been quiet or empty every time I've come back to the game for however many years

I spent time in a largeish guild the last few times I played and had a good time, there's plenty of dedicated pvp guilds that do nightly and weekly events

since you can join multiple guilds, nothing stopping you from joining a few until you find a good match for your playstyle and personality

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I ended up folding and getting the expac since Arcanist looked really cool and I'm enjoying it, shooting a giant death beam so far has not gotten old.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Having fun so far. I ended up buying the Necromancer because Sorcerer wasn't quite there and it owns a lot, I will never get tired of summoning suicidal exploding skeletons. Inspired My Wife to join me as well, and some pals who are considering it. The game is really fun to play as an exploring/leveling/questing thing.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid
Picked this up a little over a week ago and... it's surprisingly similar to a single-player Elder Scrolls game. Sure there's a ton of microtransaction bullshit and it kind of weird to see glowing aliens rushing around out in the middle of nowhere, but for the most part it's quite fun.

Main issue would be the trading system. It's practically impossible to sell anything to players unless you're in a player-run trade guild, and there don't seem to be any that will take people who only want to sell things with 0 other responsibilities or interactions (they all have requirements of either sales quotas, dues, or specific activity requirements). You can't even create your own trade guild to sell stuff because it requires a minimum of 50 people.

I guess the devs just really want people to grind for stuff personally instead of being able to easily get it from other players. Or maybe it's a roundabout anti-bot method? Either way it's a real pain in the rear end.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

It's because paying for good trader spots is obscenely expensive, so you need a large trade volume to be able to fund it through taxes.

e: More to the point I doubt you'd have much worth selling after a week.

But yes, it's designed to be a gold sink.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 25, 2023

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Offkorn posted:

Picked this up a little over a week ago and... it's surprisingly similar to a single-player Elder Scrolls game. Sure there's a ton of microtransaction bullshit and it kind of weird to see glowing aliens rushing around out in the middle of nowhere, but for the most part it's quite fun.

Main issue would be the trading system. It's practically impossible to sell anything to players unless you're in a player-run trade guild, and there don't seem to be any that will take people who only want to sell things with 0 other responsibilities or interactions (they all have requirements of either sales quotas, dues, or specific activity requirements). You can't even create your own trade guild to sell stuff because it requires a minimum of 50 people.

I guess the devs just really want people to grind for stuff personally instead of being able to easily get it from other players. Or maybe it's a roundabout anti-bot method? Either way it's a real pain in the rear end.

There's some weirdo guilds out there but most are chill. I rarely talk with my main guild, just sell things in the guild store. There's weekly dues of 15k which seemed completely staggering when you start the game but is inconsequential later on.

But yeah, a week in you aren't going to have much to sell. I make most of my gold with motifs and that's something you can't really do in the first week of playing.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Private Speech posted:

e: More to the point I doubt you'd have much worth selling after a week.

Are you telling me no one wants these beautiful epic landscape portraits I keep finding!?

Yeah though, most of the stuff it'd be worth selling appears to be insta-bound on acquire (like all the dig site furniture finds).

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I found few trading guilds with no minimums pretty easily, if you don’t need a primo spot it’s not that hard.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Snowy posted:

I found few trading guilds with no minimums pretty easily, if you don’t need a primo spot it’s not that hard.
So have I. Those want social engagement instead.

I was looking for a completely impersonal experience like FFXIV, where I could just throw any extra recipes/furniture/materials I found on the marketplace and forget about them. It's not a big deal though since I've no intention of ever buying anything I can't grind for... so I don't really need millions of gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Yeh the guild trader system is very much a “worst of both worlds” between high friction player to player trading and a full auction house