Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Lol no I don't think so game. Just encountered one of the hunt monsters for the first time, and got one shot by a mechanic. That part is fine, I was being careless. What's not fine is that it then sent me back to a fast travel point instead of just spawning me back at the monster. I'm not playing Dark Souls, I do not want to do a run back. I will pass on hunts, thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

MechaX posted:

Honestly the journalist discourse on the side quests is kind of strange to me.

Like, it sucks how it doesn't have very few but a little longer side quests like 6 through 10. But like, I guess we could go back to 12 and 13 where it was all Hunts, but 16 has Hunts too so I'm not sure what the major malfunction here is.

Yeah 15 had more side quests but a lot of that also boiled down to "go here and get jumped by a bunch of monsters" and I don't remember nearly enough people complaining about that hitch in priority of everything else.

I know it's not the same but when I think of FF "side quests" I think of optional areas/dungeons with cool poo poo behind hard fights. Like FF5 and FF6 had areas you never had to visit that contained unique monsters and unique items. You might learn some rare powerful piece of Blue Magic or obtain some piece of gear off a steal table on a mob that only shows up in a far-off corner of the world. Stuff like that. Hell in 6 you could get whole rear end party members. Also, the Dragons' Den, Soul of Thamasa , etc..

That's what I'm thinking of when I say "I hope this new FF game has cool side quests." The Hunt system is okay as a series of combat challenges. 15 had Pitioss Ruins, which was pretty unique. It's post-game so the prize might not be worth it at that point, but hey it's something.

I'm only like two Eikons in so there may very well be cool side quests on the other side. For now they just seem like tiny bits of world-building rather than challenges with meaningful rewards.

Not coming at you or anything, just decided to quote your post, lol

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 25, 2023

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh man I think I figured out a reveal early and if I'm right the irony is delicious

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Just got my copy this morning, some stray observations:

drat the ratio of playing to watching cutscenes is pretty brutal for the first few hours so far lol. Really enjoying it though, the writing is a little better than usual (not a high bar, to be fair) even if it comes off a little ~edgy~ now and then, but it's massively elevated by a great voice acting cast who actually seem like they were in the same room for line reads.

Combat feels pretty good, although I wish I could remap buttons at will instead of choosing between 3 control schemes that all do things I don't like (the default is honestly almost perfect but wtf why would you put evade on R1, this is driving me nuts). Also a lot of enemy windups feel kinda ridiculously delayed / telegraphed, which is probably meant to set up easier evades for newer players but ends up being extremely weird if you play a lot of Souls-style games.

Eikon stuff is cool as hell - I was already impressed by how huge and powerful they made summons feel in XV, and this ramps it up even further.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Lol no I don't think so game. Just encountered one of the hunt monsters for the first time, and got one shot by a mechanic. That part is fine, I was being careless. What's not fine is that it then sent me back to a fast travel point instead of just spawning me back at the monster. I'm not playing Dark Souls, I do not want to do a run back. I will pass on hunts, thank you

It is nice to have examples when people ask 'why do you just respawn you with potions in a boss fight'

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
somehow Mid is top-tier

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So I'm still early on. I got my second set of Eikon powers and fought my first major Eikon boss.

I currently have a theory right now and I don't want to know if I'm wrong or right. I just want to put it out there so that I can refer back to it. From the trailers, we know "The Legacy of the Crystals has shaped our history long enough." I'm not to the point in the story, but we know that Clive is about to start going ham on destroying crystals. My FFXIV brain is starting wonder what if the crystals are actually shackles. And by destroying them, we're going to unleash whatever they're shackling.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Arist posted:

Oh man I think I figured out a reveal early and if I'm right the irony is delicious

What’s your theory

Mordiceius posted:

So I'm still early on. I got my second set of Eikon powers and fought my first major Eikon boss.

I currently have a theory right now and I don't want to know if I'm wrong or right. I just want to put it out there so that I can refer back to it. From the trailers, we know "The Legacy of the Crystals has shaped our history long enough." I'm not to the point in the story, but we know that Clive is about to start going ham on destroying crystals. My FFXIV brain is starting wonder what if the crystals are actually shackles. And by destroying them, we're going to unleash whatever they're shackling.

I think

The Crystals are broadly bad is most likely mostly true. Even if you look at the map it’s almost certainly no coincidence that the blighted areas are the points furthest from them and the Deadlands is basically triangulated between them. They are definitely sucking the planet dry but the question is what for

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CaptainRat posted:

somehow Mid is top-tier

Its true!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Just did the third fight you do as Ifrit

Goddrat

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Ifrit is so cool

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Really enjoying the parallels to VII with (post point-of-no-return) Clive and gang’s plan to go around blowing up the Mako reactors Mothercrystals.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Haha I had ignored Ignition at first but tried it thanks to the thread and oh is it fun.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I just got past with the entire section that happens after the Three Reeds area and all of the following cutscenes before you get back to base

god drat this is some final fantasy rear end final fantasy i love this fuckin game I was hooting and hollering and clapping and cawing

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Captain Oblivious posted:

What’s your theory

A couple hours after the end of Oriflamme, and mostly just a theory: I think the cullings of Bearers that Clive's mom has been initiating are attempts to find and kill Clive because she realized that her new heir doesn't have the Blessing of the Phoenix and she's freaking out

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Also yeah I've unequipped my armor and high potions and the combat feels juuust tense enough for my liking

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
On the map screen I like that there is what appears to be (spoilers for when you are able to freely scroll the world map screen. So basically right after the end of the prologue) a giant hole in the middle of the ocean just off the southern coast of Valisthea. Water pouring into it and what appears to be blight climbing out of it. I’m sure this is nothing!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Done with the story! Game is sexy clive out of 10. Its tied with Final Fantasy 10 as my favorite FF game.

The final few hours are completely bonkers and awesome as gently caress.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

I said come in! posted:

Done with the story! Game is sexy clive out of 10. Its tied with Final Fantasy 10 as my favorite FF game.

I still have a ways to go but I am very pleased to hear that it possibly upholds the FF tradition of the story going bugfuck crazy at the end.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I was kind of worried that (late mid-game boss spoiler? it was in trailers) Titan Lost was going to be the peak of escalation so everything after would feel underwhelming

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

https://twitter.com/vitaminohm/status/1672780638234001411

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I said come in! posted:

I grew up with 8 and 9 and 10 with 10 being my favorite of all time. This is high praise to me. I'm so psyched! I got to when you see the map for the first time and had to quit for a couple days for time. I can't wait to get back to it.

Also all the xiv fans talking about cool references is getting me psyched too.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

I was kind of worried that (late mid-game boss spoiler? it was in trailers) Titan Lost was going to be the peak of escalation so everything after would feel underwhelming

It just continues to escalate into loving crazyville and its awesome. I loved all of it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I grew up with 8 and 9 and 10 with 10 being my favorite of all time. This is high praise to me. I'm so psyched! I got to when you see the map for the first time and had to quit for a couple days for time. I can't wait to get back to it.

Tons of references to XIV, IV, and V.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i like how the first hunt introduced the Doom spell so i get whisked away to the game over screen before registering what the gently caress just happened. first and probably only time i'll see it, but at least it lets you know that these critters warrant more caution than usual

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I’ve lost track of which Ifrit fight I’m up to by the one with Titan, Lost is super saucy with the whole deal.

I swear the opening riff to the song being played was just Firestarter lmao

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

TheWorldsaStage posted:

There are a lot of enemies that are just straight from XIV but with better textures.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Question about Eikons that is probably a spoiler, but may just be me being dumb. Who is the Eikon of the Element of Water?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Begemot posted:

There are a lot of enemies that are just straight from XIV but with better textures.

And a lot of XIV’s enemies are reskinned models from XII, and some of those are from XI…

You can’t say SE isn’t good with repurposing stuff!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Klungar posted:

Question about Eikons that is probably a spoiler, but may just be me being dumb. Who is the Eikon of the Element of Water?

presumably it's leviathan, but i haven't seen any mention of it where i'm at now while the others have been brought up exhaustively. it's possible the game takes place while it's still mid-reincarnation

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

presumably it's leviathan, but i haven't seen any mention of it where i'm at now while the others have been brought up exhaustively. it's possible the game takes place while it's still mid-reincarnation

Yeah, I assumed Leviathan, but other than the inclusion of Water in the list of the official 8 elements who are represented by Eikons, there is been no other mention of it or a Dominant or nation/bloodline it usually pops up in, and I'm pretty sure it's not one of the ones you get powers from. Just seems weird that it wouldn't even been mentioned that the realm is waiting for it to show back up if that was the case. Unless of course Ultima is somehow supposed to be Water or something weird like that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It gets explained.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

It gets explained.

Thanks, that's all I needed to know.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Waloeder is extremely fun to say out loud.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I desperately need a good fight against Odin, that shits gonna be banging

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

the communal lab has issued its response

https://twitter.com/carlego/status/1672790138655571969

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
second crystal dungeon spoilers

i'm very pleased with how jill's whole mini-arc was handled. i didn't expect much different considering the general tenor of the story, but she starts by saying "i am going to stab this man" and ends it stabbing that man. clive doesn't try to dissuade her, he isn't killed by falling rubble or some other happenstance to keep her hands clean, she doesn't bemoan or regret the act afterward. she just going in treating it like a grim but necessary chore and then wipes her blade and moves on

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
These sidequests after the halfway point aren't complex but the story beats and exposition you get is really cool and you also get some good fights.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Oxxidation posted:

i'm very pleased with how jill's whole mini-arc was handled. i didn't expect much different considering the general tenor of the story, but she starts by saying "i am going to stab this man" and ends it stabbing that man. clive doesn't try to dissuade her, he isn't killed by falling rubble or some other happenstance to keep her hands clean, she doesn't bemoan or regret the act afterward. she just going in treating it like a grim but necessary chore and then wipes her blade and moves on

Same. I also appreciated her saber salute and Lady Maria Visceral Attack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Oxxidation posted:

My favourite thing is that she makes sure the crystal gets shattered first so the high priest gets to see his entire world crumble before she executes him.