Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Nameless Pete posted:

I consider "Gwen Stacy is trans" to be a true statement the same way I consider "Professor X is Black" or "The Mandalorian is a Hasidic Jew" to be accurate. It is absolutely the metaphor and it's a bit obtuse to pretend otherwise, but you also don’t want to get too literal with it.

Yeah, it’s the same in the Luca argument. Luca is absolutely a metaphor for LGBTQ people, coming out, hiding your identity in a small close-minded town. But others get hung up on ‘but Luca’s parents aren’t gay’ like yeah, obviously; it’s not a 1 for 1 metaphor. If it was, it wouldn’t be a metaphor, that makes it the text.

Look at Miles and Rio’s scene. Every queer teen ever has had that ‘I deeply want to tell you something’ moment with a parent, and it tugged at my little gay heart so much. It’s not about Miles actually being bi, it’s having a big secret part of yourself you desperately want to share but you’re afraid of the consequences. His imagined ‘We love and accept you!’ moment is literally the rose-tinted dream.

https://youtu.be/mhVbGgeVTDM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

egg tats posted:

so I saw this yesterday and I picked up on something that my friend didn't quite pick up on

so we've had 4 worlds onscreen that have, by Miguel's reckoning, world ending abberations: miles world, Miguel's doppelgangers world, Pavtirs world, and miles tails prowlers world

Miles world is doing fine, but I guess you could argue that it created spot who might destroy it?

Pavtirs world has a big ol dimension hole in it... but that was clearly caused by the spot, not some multiversal unravelling

doppelganger world did go away. rip to them, thoughts and prayers

Tails' world is doing fine. new York is a poo poo hole obviously but there's a new york still at least.

so like, Miguel is clearly, factually, probably wrong right? and we'll probably find out that he was directly responsible for it somehow, but either way I'm assuming no one disagrees with that part. but the reason Miguel is stuck on the canon stuff is because that explains why it happened and makes it something outside of his control.

the two options for Miguel as to why his family 2 died are:
Miguel's presence caused it, he should never have been there (he can't really afford to think this, especially since that would make spider society a Bad Idea)
there wasn't a Spider-man, because that world's Miguel was killed without ever getting powers. and when Miguel learned that miles was turned into a Spider-man with another dimensions spider... I'm assuming he hates miles because he thinks he "stole" other Miguel's spider and it'll be fun to see him find out about universe 42

also it's fun that gwen is a trans character I'm glad they made that into the movie

Miguel is absolutely wrong. He's not working with complete data and/or a lot of assumptions.

The criticism of the conflict is Miles saying |no there must be some third way" when given Miguel's utilitarian motives and that will work out no matter what cause of plot. But that assumes again that Miguel is 100% correct.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Watched Into the Spiderverse tonight to see what I could remember. I like the parallels between Kingpin and Miguel's choice to be with their family. Kingpin tried to drag his family back, Miguel tried to fill in in another dimension.

I'm not sure exactly why Gwen got thrown a week into the past and why she didn't seem to be glitching as bad despite having several days on the other Spiderpeople. At first I thought she got pulled in by the first test of the machine but then they made it clear that sticking Peter's head into the dimensional rift is what brought the other spider people in, since they also used Kingpin's family's DNA to try and bring them through during the climax. So maybe Gwen didn't glitch as badly because she was isolated from the others and it got worse when they were closer together? I dunno.

I really like Kingpin as the villain. Never been a big fan of him in other Marvel films but here he is just a giant black void of muscle and violence and he makes for one hell of an intimidating villain.

Also I like Miles's spray paint suit better than his ATSV suit with the bleeding armpits.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 25, 2023

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Personally, my preference in Miles suits has always been the ones that incorporate street clothes. The hoodie and kicks over the Spider-Suit look, like at the start of the Miles Morales game, or during the What's Up Danger sequence of the first movie. Seems odd that Miles media keeps cameo-ing that sort of look before defaulting to just his own regular Spider-Suit.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
It's a slick look, but I think the baggy shorts and puffy coats might get in the way of animating some action sequences. Spidey needs a clean silhouette.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I really liked Tombstone as Kingpin's replacement in Spectacular Spider Man. I know it was for rights reasons but he was genuinely a cool intimidating mastermind powerhouse for it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Rewatched Into today and was struck by how much the visuals have already aged compared to Across, especially when it comes to face/skin rendering and lighting. Gwen looks like a video game cutscene on the bus ride back from Alchemax.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I finally got a 3D copy that would work with my Quest2.

Dear god, the 3D is good. I just wish it wasnt in a compressed format. This film in full resolution 3D must have been amazing in theatres. :cry:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Arc Hammer posted:

Watched Into the Spiderverse tonight to see what I could remember. I like the parallels between Kingpin and Miguel's choice to be with their family. Kingpin tried to drag his family back, Miguel tried to fill in in another dimension.

I'm not sure exactly why Gwen got thrown a week into the past and why she didn't seem to be glitching as bad despite having several days on the other Spiderpeople. At first I thought she got pulled in by the first test of the machine but then they made it clear that sticking Peter's head into the dimensional rift is what brought the other spider people in, since they also used Kingpin's family's DNA to try and bring them through during the climax. So maybe Gwen didn't glitch as badly because she was isolated from the others and it got worse when they were closer together? I dunno.

I really like Kingpin as the villain. Never been a big fan of him in other Marvel films but here he is just a giant black void of muscle and violence and he makes for one hell of an intimidating villain.

Also I like Miles's spray paint suit better than his ATSV suit with the bleeding armpits.

I don't think there's meant to be any particular reason why Gwen got thrown back besides the particle accelerator loving with time and space, seems strongly implied there's not much of a difference as far as dimensional rifts are concerned. After all, you specifically have one spider-person from almost a hundred years before and one from the future.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Gwen’s spider-sense makes the least sense the more you think about it. It’s portrayed as an early warning system like knowing something is coming up behind you. But in her case, it told her to go to Miles’ school? And then in Across, it tells her that Miles is in another universe. At this point, it kind of borders on flashes of omniscience.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's a lot of implications that spider-sense gives people a tingling of other spider-people in the Spider-verse setting. And in general it's always been one of the weirdest things, I still love the bit in No Way Home where Peter's soul is knocked out of his body and the body keeps dodging, and neither he nor Strange have the slightest idea why.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Yeah people have used spider sense to detect physical vulnerabilities in enemies or just use it as a radar to locate upcoming threats or objects of importance before, like hidden bombs or assassins following you but not being actively threatening.

It's done plenty of wierd stuff before and people not understanding why or how it works is a pretty common narrative element across decades of spiderman stuff. The current run is spiderman having developed a spider sense that detects all danger for everybody in the whole city.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Way back when the Spider-tracers are devices Peter Parker developed that specifically set off his spider-sense, allowing him to use them as otherwise untraceable trackers.

Unfortunately he insisted on making them in his colours and logo so everyone immediately figured out they belonged to Spider-man and started using them against him all the time. For some reason he doesn't use them anymore and no one brings them up.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sharkopath posted:

The current run is spiderman having developed a spider sense that detects all danger for everybody in the whole city.

That sounds incredibly exhausting

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Electric Phantasm posted:

That sounds incredibly exhausting

Jesus christ, yeah. Like, its one thing for Superman, who legitimately can be everywhere and do everything. But for your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

"Spiderman is suffering" and Miles whole thing is "you're crazy if you think that is the ONLY way to be Spiderman"

Pavtir alone proves that you can be Spider-Man and a happy person!

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
There was a gag in the comics once where a grenade hits him square in the chest, clatters to the ground at his feet, and then cooks for another couple seconds. Spider sense only goes off right before it explodes, as Spidey dives out of the way shouting "REALLY?!"

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Kaine spider sense was represented as full precognitive flashes, if I remember well.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

well why not posted:

Pavtir alone proves that you can be Spider-Man and a happy person!

And then Miguel gets furious for Miles efforts allowing Pavtir to stay happy.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
It's Pavitr.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

With regards to Hobie and canon events doesn't it mean Hobie was friends with a cop at some point or did I misunderstand how that canon event is supposed to play out?

He has blue laces.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

With regards to Hobie and canon events doesn't it mean Hobie was friends with a cop at some point or did I misunderstand how that canon event is supposed to play out?

Maybe a captain that was working to expose Osborne's corruption of the police? The writer that created the character posts in BSS, you can try asking the movie thread there.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

i'm two posts too slow, and honestly this is more of a nazi punk thing than real punk, but Hobie's boots are laced blue indicating he's killed an officer himself.

of course, blue is one of spider-man's colours. also idk about Hobie but Parker and most Spiders are absolutely the types who would say they killed someone by failing to save them.

also while im like 90 percent sure the cop killer laces were started by Nazis, they've appropriated lots of good punk things for their own and most skinheads have police as allies instead of enemies so i could be wrong. i'm too young to have grabbed Doc Martens when they were still punk.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I know that Miguel is horribly misguided by blaming everything on Miles but I'm wondering how exactly he can blame miles for stealing another Spiderman's spider bite when the Earth 42 spider was brought over in Kingpin's first super collider test before Miles was even aware of it and everyone thought it was just an earthquake. Events were already set in motion by a villain breaking the fabric of the multiverse but Miguel doesn't seem to want to blame Kingpin or Octavius for starting it all.

Besides that I'm still baffled by there being two different versions of the movie in theaters. It doesn't seem like a Clue deal with alternate endings. With all the word coming out about how 100 animators quit and Miller and Lord making last minute changes it seems more likely that the alternate cut of the movie came with the fixed audio because they were still tweaking scenes right up to release.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
With the alternate versions it does sound like Lord or someone up high wanted to get a different set of jokes in. Though from what I hear even innocuous lines were changed here and there.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

We’re finally getting a movie with a randomizer so the different scenes are picked out of a hat.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Arc Hammer posted:

I know that Miguel is horribly misguided by blaming everything on Miles but I'm wondering how exactly he can blame miles for stealing another Spiderman's spider bite when the Earth 42 spider was brought over in Kingpin's first super collider test before Miles was even aware of it and everyone thought it was just an earthquake. Events were already set in motion by a villain breaking the fabric of the multiverse but Miguel doesn't seem to want to blame Kingpin or Octavius for starting it all.

Because that allows him to feel better about himself and what he has done.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

We’re finally getting a movie with a randomizer so the different scenes are picked out of a hat.

Every single copy of Across The Spider-Verse is personalised

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

FilthyImp posted:

I finally got a 3D copy that would work with my Quest2.

Dear god, the 3D is good. I just wish it wasnt in a compressed format. This film in full resolution 3D must have been amazing in theatres. :cry:

I was really crushed they skipped 3D for Across but after seeing it a lot of the visual styles they chose would have been insanely hard to make it all work.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

AccountSupervisor posted:

I was really crushed they skipped 3D for Across but after seeing it a lot of the visual styles they chose would have been insanely hard to make it all work.

Hobie probably would have been a particular nightmare, considering different parts of him were all animated separately.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Hobie you could just do the body outline for.

Just imagine you're watching this fir the first time, and when Miles gets sent 'home' you notice that the 3D depth is WAYYYYY off the scale, compared to when Gwen is crawling around outside of his room...

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Nameless Pete posted:

"The Mandalorian is a Hasidic Jew"

I’m sorry what?

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
He's a cowboy and a Spartan, too, but the entire point of the last season was reuniting the Reform Mandalorians and the Orthodox Mandalorians so they could retake Space Zion after the Imperial Shoah.

e: typo

Nameless Pete fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 27, 2023

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Yeah also if you look at Filoni's earlier work in TCW on Mando you can see it's very much about religious diaspora and conflicts between sects

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Which bas been a thing for Mandalorians since about 2002 give or take. They've had multiple stories about clan wars and arguments over what it means to be a True Mandalorian.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

The_Doctor posted:

Hobie probably would have been a particular nightmare, considering different parts of him were all animated separately.

Hobie and Gwen's world were the two things that made me realize why they skipped it. It just would have been a really difficult task to get right in that format. They would have had to approach a lot of stuff entirely different visually just for the 3D versions and thats a lot of work.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

hiddenriverninja posted:

It was the captain of his favorite footie club

Maybe it was Captain Anarchy

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'm not sure inspector is a comparable rank to captain either?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Arc Hammer posted:

Which bas been a thing for Mandalorians since about 2002 give or take. They've had multiple stories about clan wars and arguments over what it means to be a True Mandalorian.

And despite all the old EU bullshit it's probably the thing that makes the Mandalorians most interesting. You don't often see a lot of sci-fi go into a culture being diverse and complicated, fractally so, and yet the dynamics onscreen are very familiar and even relatable. There's a shitload going on about culture in the second season in particular, about people using the armour and Beskar and Boba Fett's particularly awkward role, and contrast with the Jedi being their own sect with some similar experiences but a very different culture. And even relating to other cultures, I find it funny that Din gets along with the Tuskens possibly because he also has a culture of not showing your face and use of non-verbal communication.