Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64DdkXNB1C4

Everything in this video is just, slightly off? Changed for the sake of it in a lot of places it feels like. The classic kinda off-yellow buildings are kinda off-white, the little privacy screens with the for-the-time really comfy and intricate mahogany bottom half are now a lifeless looking ivory or birch.

It just feels like classic “I/we can do it better” modder brain. And it’s absolutely, unquestionably some level of crotchetiness on my part for them to not change the game I adore but everything in that video just feels perfectly wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Gnome de plume posted:

that reads like a salesman has a whole lot of ebony armor in stock they need to offload by Friday

They read almost exactly like the kind of little note cards describing shiny rock orbs in that one store off in the back corner of the mall that sells shiny rock orbs and dragons carved out of fancy rocks and always smells like incense.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Dagoth Ur's new voice is some generic Satan sounding guy instead of your old best friend confused after a millennia of madness and you can tell they totally didn't get the point.

average kirkbride fan

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

The J. Peterman Company presents Ebony Armor.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Nuebot posted:

They read almost exactly like the kind of little note cards describing shiny rock orbs in that one store off in the back corner of the mall that sells shiny rock orbs and dragons carved out of fancy rocks and always smells like incense.

They sound like ChatGPT prompts about obsidian. Lots of weak and ambiguous glurge.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Post poste posted:

They sound like ChatGPT prompts about obsidian. Lots of weak and ambiguous glurge.

If they were written in the last month I would not be surprised to find out that was the case for at least some of it.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
It reads like someone put the 36 lessons of vivec into one of those AI things and told it to spit out item descriptions.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Orv posted:

This is Extremely Nerd Brain but the moment they said “We’re going to reimagine Morrowind instead of accurately recreate it” Skywind stopped having a chance to be good. Volunteer mod voice acting alone, never mind the rest.

To be fair about the voice acting: that one's a legal quandary. There's some ways to try to tech your way around it by requiring people own the game and use a tool to extract the sound and put it into the mod, but that's not a new speedbump for TC mods like this.

To be less fair, that ebony description stuff made my eyes roll so fast I couldn't finish reading it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Midnight Voyager posted:

To be fair about the voice acting: that one's a legal quandary. There's some ways to try to tech your way around it by requiring people own the game and use a tool to extract the sound and put it into the mod, but that's not a new speedbump for TC mods like this.

To be less fair, that ebony description stuff made my eyes roll so fast I couldn't finish reading it.

Also, the majority of dialog in Morrowind isn't spoken.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Midnight Voyager posted:

Oh it’s not anything about the legality or anything like that. It’s that Skywind would be the first TC mod ever to crowdsource voice acting and not have the vast majority be absolute garbage. (Maybe slight hyperbole someone might have managed it.)

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

:tutbutt:
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/81221

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
i don't know whether to be more upset at the subject matter or at the fact it has a dependency mod

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

i don't know whether to be more upset at the subject matter or at the fact it has a dependency mod

i don't think it's dependent on the other mod, it's just a modified version of it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I thought the skywind stuff looked nice, but I also like the stuff that tamriel rebuilt for morrowind adds, which is also very much "expanding on the theme" rather than just recreating. It doesn't match the original stuff because the original stuff is both lower quality and has a lot more reuse of assets, TR is more adventurous in architecture as well as has a lot more modelling work to play with, but I think it produces stuff that still feels morrowind-y but which looks better than "let's copy and paste a canton a dozen times to make a city"

If anything I think my criticism would be that they could go further in diverging from the base game into making big dramatic landscapes and cities where they can. Morrowind has a great atmosphere but there are a number of areas where I think the limitations of what they could put on screen and perhaps a general lack of artistic freedom means you end up with quite repetative and basic layouts for areas. There are of course equally areas that I think are very good, but I don't think just recreating the original slavishly would be a good use of time.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 17, 2023

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Sexy Farts posted:

Your Male Character will also fart, but its not as sexy

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It's based on another mod that adds farts but doesn't claim to make them sexy, I'm assuming they just left the male portion untouched.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

disposablewords posted:

Awful/Awesome Mods: Your Male Character will also fart, but its not as sexy

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Ohhh, so this is the "Skywind" mod people have been talking about.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

quote:

Can we get immersive male farting and screaming next

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

What make a video game fart more or less immersive?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
How horny it makes the mod author.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Veristimulitude.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

okay, then what makes them more or less lore-friendly

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Mega64 posted:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

okay, then what makes them more or less lore-friendly

how horny it makes Todd Howard

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The only thing that makes Todd Howard horny is releasing buggy, busted games and watching people work for free to fix them

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

History Comes Inside! posted:

The only thing that makes Todd Howard horny is releasing buggy, busted games and watching people work for free to fix them

Then I hope Microsoft gave him a safe-word for the extra year of edging development they forced on Bethesda to clean up bugs.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

History Comes Inside! posted:

He is one of the luckiest men in the world then. Getting money for doing the thing he loves and can't get enough of.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPRO2SApO8

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

:nws: LIlian the canned girl looksmenu and bodyslide preset :nws:

one of the required mods is "Coldsteel weight gain mod"

i have no idea what the hell a "canned girl" is and i'm somewhat afraid of trying to find out

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I assume it's whatever the gently caress is in the photos.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

cause she's got huge cans, see

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Relyssa posted:

:nws: LIlian the canned girl looksmenu and bodyslide preset :nws:

one of the required mods is "Coldsteel weight gain mod"

i have no idea what the hell a "canned girl" is and i'm somewhat afraid of trying to find out

The most disappointing answer is probably correct.

The canned part is the gas mask, I bet.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Post poste posted:

The most disappointing answer is probably correct.

The canned part is the gas mask, I bet.
It's like Occam's Razor, but for the internet.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/CertifiedLeggi/status/1672383475553390593?t=A-_1VI14-keArId5fNjIeg&s=19

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

lol

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Christ.

In lighter subject: I recently learned that the cat people in tes can just... be cats. As in, they can just be born as regular cats, not furries. I think they can talk? Idk.

There should be a mod that makes every other cat person just be a normal housecat, but no other changes, so you have a normal cat, but it's running skooma.

No, I'm not going to check if this exists, I'm an idea guy, do you think idea guys do things? No. We're too busy with our important ideas, like what if a cat could sell you drugs.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

DicktheCat posted:

Christ.

In lighter subject: I recently learned that the cat people in tes can just... be cats. As in, they can just be born as regular cats, not furries. I think they can talk? Idk.

There should be a mod that makes every other cat person just be a normal housecat, but no other changes, so you have a normal cat, but it's running skooma.

No, I'm not going to check if this exists, I'm an idea guy, do you think idea guys do things? No. We're too busy with our important ideas, like what if a cat could sell you drugs.

Khajit can be born as anything from anime cat girls to furries to full cats. Think it depends on lunar cycles when they are born or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

DicktheCat posted:

Christ.

there's a bunch of afliq mods for skyrim, but I don't want to kill kitties.