Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Chillgamesh posted:

I think I remember hearing this word a long time ago in reference to the whites coming into late 18th century Texas from the US. Thanks for unlocking a childhood memory

Yeah man you wish you could overflow with fulminating essence like the dude who's going to get thrown out a window in two weeks

Yeah there were a bunch of southerners who tried to invade Central American countries and turn them into slave states. Basically repeat the Texas thing. One of them invaded Guatemala, Baja California and eventually Honduras before he got got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Counter Terror Operation that was signed in reaction to this is way more far reaching than the SMO. No idea if it applies to the Oblasts Ukraine is 👏illegally 👏occupying👏, or if the AUMF was limited to Wagner. If it’s applicable, it’s a major step up in persecuting the not-war.

Seems like the dam or Crimea bridge would have been enough though.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn45GsPoZrc&pp=ygUOd2Fsa2VyIHRyYWlsZXI%3D

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Enjoy posted:

would you say an armed mutiny is a sign of strength

Posts like this are funny because it's obvious these guys were getting really excited the potential mutiny/coup progressed, and now that it came to nothing they're having to shift gears and figure out how they can still feel good about it

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Great news for Ukraine - Wagner action could be the fatal blow to Russia's war efforts.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jun/24/ukrainians-dream-wagner-action-fatal-blow-war-kyiv-mutiny?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

“Events are developing according to the scenario we talked about all last year,’’ said Mykhailo Podolyak, a key adviser to Zelenskiy. “The start of the Ukrainian counteroffensive finally destabilised the Russian elites, intensifying the internal split that arose after the defeat in Ukraine. Today we are actually witnessing the beginning of a civil war. At the same time, Ukraine continues to move along its own path. To the borders of 1991.’'

Throughout yesterday, Ukrainian Telegram channels lit up with story after story suggesting the tide was turning. One claimed dozens of Russian units were withdrawing from the front to reach Russia and face the insurgency. Others said hundreds of soldiers were leaving the occupied territories to join the Wagner group. Another suggested Belarusian partisans were also preparing a coup to overthrow the Lukashenko regime.

On Saturday evening, Oleksandr Tarnavsky, a Ukrainian commander, told the national news agency of Ukraine, Ukrinform, that its forces have liberated territories near the city of Krasnohorivka, in the Donetsk region, which have been occupied by pro-Russia separatists since 2014.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
putin is finished

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

fizzy posted:

Great news for Ukraine - Wagner action could be the fatal blow to Russia's war efforts.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jun/24/ukrainians-dream-wagner-action-fatal-blow-war-kyiv-mutiny?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

“Events are developing according to the scenario we talked about all last year,’’ said Mykhailo Podolyak, a key adviser to Zelenskiy. “The start of the Ukrainian counteroffensive finally destabilised the Russian elites, intensifying the internal split that arose after the defeat in Ukraine. Today we are actually witnessing the beginning of a civil war. At the same time, Ukraine continues to move along its own path. To the borders of 1991.’'

Throughout yesterday, Ukrainian Telegram channels lit up with story after story suggesting the tide was turning. One claimed dozens of Russian units were withdrawing from the front to reach Russia and face the insurgency. Others said hundreds of soldiers were leaving the occupied territories to join the Wagner group. Another suggested Belarusian partisans were also preparing a coup to overthrow the Lukashenko regime.

On Saturday evening, Oleksandr Tarnavsky, a Ukrainian commander, told the national news agency of Ukraine, Ukrinform, that its forces have liberated territories near the city of Krasnohorivka, in the Donetsk region, which have been occupied by pro-Russia separatists since 2014.

i don't get who they're talking to anymore

this poo poo will still be going on next year

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

fizzy posted:

no any news is good news

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Thought I can see todays Democrats acting like the Whigs come to think of it. They would choose decorum and both sides over going to bat for whatever todays version of abolitions are.

It is fascinating how Liberal behavior is the same over time

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

quote:

To the borders of 1991.’

So giving up on Crimea, then?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
So the big outcome out of all of this was Wagner finally signed its contract, okay.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Ardennes posted:

So the big outcome out of all of this was Wagner finally signed its contract, okay.

or how neoliberalism is completely unable to respond to emergencies in time

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Ardennes posted:

and some helicopters got blown up?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ardennes posted:

WGAner

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Ardennes posted:

i think putin will probably live to regret letting them all off the hook for this, but who knows

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

Thought I can see todays Democrats acting like the Whigs come to think of it. They would choose decorum and both sides over going to bat for whatever todays version of abolitions are.

The Democrats are the party of slavery :hmmyes:

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

https://twitter.com/DougJBalloon/status/1672673388966428674

Ytlaya posted:

tweets like this are funny because it's obvious these guys were getting really excited the potential mutiny/coup progressed, and now that it came to nothing they're having to shift gears and figure out how they can still feel good about it

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

CODChimera posted:

and some helicopters got blown up?

One did I think

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.
https://twitter.com/alifarhat79/status/1672687448978079744#m

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

really queer Christmas posted:

Speng... thank you

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Unfortunately it's too good to be true.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022
So what's been happening with the Ukrainian mass conscription notices in the cities? That's been pushed out of the news recently.

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000

BearsBearsBears posted:

So what's been happening with the Ukrainian mass conscription notices in the cities? That's been pushed out of the news recently.

I'm sure it'll be fine, because by the historical science of neo-liberalism we know material factors and constraints don't matter because of the superior vitality and creativity of freedom-loving peoples

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
https://twitter.com/MyLordBebo/status/1672699475976921089#m

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I see the sidewalk e-scooter cancer has infected Russia too.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

BearsBearsBears posted:

they would all be volunteering anyway. theres probably lines at the signup place

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

BearsBearsBears posted:

Russia has collapsed, so it doesn't really matter either way.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

trust the plan

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Eve6/status/1672709196670976000?s=20

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Majorian posted:

A frothing fascist who's even more right-wing than the guy they'd be replacing him with?

I dunno man, that's not America's style.

Like when have we ever done that except all those times that don't count?

That's whataboutism, okay?

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Ah, so the modern warrior should aspire to be the very model of a modern Major-General with information vegetable, animal, and mineral! Wow, that’s great advice that should be taken very seriously!

This good rendition of the song is performed by a Canadian. Coincidence?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlTisI_HSgw

The guy never gives up the hustle. Gotta respect that.

PhilippAchtel has issued a correction as of 05:03 on Jun 25, 2023

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
lol look at this funny thing I made

:dumb:

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000

Gonna give you what you need, not what you want

https://twitter.com/RichardHanania/status/1672643224836673536#m

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Posting eve6 is an even bigger act of violence than posting Glenn Greenwald, or worse yet, unfunny pitches for Glenn Greenwald bylines

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

stephenthinkpad posted:

You guys know that Luka being the mediator guy is more proof that Putin was behind this show right?

Also the "deal" was reached way too fast. There wasn't even enough time to do multiple phone calls between all major characters.

I am not saying Putin gave Prigo a script and told him what to say. What likely happened was Putin dropped enough hints to Prigo to "make a big show against his enemy (Shoigu/MOD)" and Putin likely promised he would give Wagner a fair shake.

What happened to Prigo today (get kicked out of Ukriane back to Africa) is not so different from what the MOD's original plan for him. So Prigo not only didn't lose that much, but he also got back at his enemies.

The only piece of puzzle I haven't figured out is why Putin wanted a big change to the MOD upper management. Making such a big chance in front of the country meaning he has to have some big changes to the direct or intensity of the war. But does the war need big change right now? I thought Russia got another 100k new volunteer/conscripts since Jan and thats quite a lot to work with already.

putin could also have just fired the upper management of the ministry of defense hatever without all this fuss if that's what he wanted to do, imo.

the end of history 2: end harder

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

But does the war need big change right now? I thought Russia got another 100k new volunteer/conscripts since Jan and thats quite a lot to work with already.

it could be that from the viewpoint of russia the war in ukraine is pretty much settled logistically and just needs to be slogged through, and that they are going to need a different set of skills in high command for the larger challenges that the world war brings to the table

so prig is exiled in belarus? i was outside doing stupid wholesome stuff for a while and missed stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Gravid Topiary posted:

so prig is exiled in belarus? i was outside doing stupid wholesome stuff for a while and missed stuff

he's gonna hang out with steven seagal harvesting potatoes and eating carrots, training for his next phase.......