Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

porktree posted:

I also have offspring in their early 30s. I have never understood the infantile need to have fathers day celebrated. And all the weeping and wailing when some doesn't get super special treatment on the <parent>day. It all seems so pouty and childish.

O-okay... Boomer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

porktree posted:

I also have offspring in their early 30s. I have never understood the infantile need to have fathers day celebrated. And all the weeping and wailing when some doesn't get super special treatment on the <parent>day. It all seems so pouty and childish.

settle down Beavis

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Batterypowered7 posted:

O-okay... Boomer?

hawowanlawow posted:

settle down Beavis

Get off my lawn.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
i say to each their own, but if you celebrate one day, you should celebrate the complimentary day if the person wants.

AITA for saying no to my wife to be a bridesmaid?

quote:

I (am or was) going to be the best man at my brother’s wedding next year. My wife was invited to be a bridesmaid and she Initially said yes.

It turns out that the bride is now expecting my wife to get a whole new wardrobe for the bridal showers, bachelorette party, rehearsal, and reception dinner on top of her bridesmaid's dress. The only color she’s allowed to wear to all of these events is the same lavender color as her bridesmaid dress. She was even given a few swatches of that material to take shopping with her. The shoes and makeup have to match for photos. Even pajamas have to match.

The bachelorette party is a week getaway plus all of the other events it’s like an additional 10 days of clothes that my wife will never wear again. She normally wears black or dark color clothes.

I bring this up to my brother after he brings hands me the swatches of fabric. I told him this is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. He said that’s why they giving me almost a year to get all of the items together for the bachelorette and weddings. I’m thinking of my wife’s reaction because she’s already not great friends with the bride. I told my brother that my wife can attend the wedding as a guest and not a bridesmaid. My bother gets mad saying I’m upsetting his fiancée’s aesthetic that she’s had planned. He’s just asking for a few days of accommodation and I said no. He tells me I’m no longer his best man for this and I’m selfish for destroying his fiancée’s dream wedding over a few dresses.

Edit: I don’t know why Reddit would think I didn’t discuss this with my wife. I told her afterward and she laughed saying “Hard pass” Maybe when your grow up get into a functional healthy relationship you’ll understand that you can predict your partner’s moods and boundaries.

AITA for calling my cousin selfish because she didn't babysit my daughter?

quote:

Throwaway, I'll keep it quick.

(Also you might've seen this earlier today, I tried posting but it got taken down quickly because of formatting issues, so I'm posting again)

My cousin, who I'll call Ella, got married a couple of months ago. I made her wedding cake as well as almost 150 individually wrapped custom cupcakes. I have a 5 year old daughter, in return Ella was going to babysit every Friday from 9-2, so 5 hours. This started from after she came back from her honeymoon until August. Obviously if there was an emergency or something came up, I'd understand.

So on Wednesday she called me up saying she couldn't make it on Friday, because her old college friends were in town and she hadn't seen them for a long time. I said this is really last minute and asked if they can just go out another day or after she babysits, but Ella said no.

We argued for a bit and I eventually said she was being really selfish, making plans when she already had others. She got upset/mad at me and said I can't dictate what she does with her time, and it's only one day. We haven't talked since then. People who know of the situation are torn on it.

So, AITA?

AITA for clapping to the “Friends” theme song?

quote:

My wife and I both like the show Friends and periodically watch it together. For some reason I cannot fathom, it bothers her when I clap to the theme song. REALLY bothers her.

Note: There is a brief moment in the beginning of the song where it claps quickly four times. It lasts for less than two seconds, and then the song continues.

This last time, I clapped along anyway. Of course she protested immediately. The conversation goes something like this…

Her: Why are you doing that again? You know I don’t like it!

Me: Why does it bother you so much?

Her: Because it’s corny and I don’t like it. It’s a pet peeve of mine.

Me: But why though? Why at that level?

Her: Because I just don’t like it. Don’t you have pet peeves that bother you?

Me: Not really. Besides, I like it, and the clapping lasts for two seconds. Why should I have to refrain simply because it bothers you for some indescribable reason?

Her: Fine then I just won’t watch the show with you anymore (in a serious, threatening tone).

Me: You are being an a-hole and overreacting.

She gets legitimately upset and mean about it. It’s not a fun lighthearted discussion as this sort of thing could be. I see her reaction as unreasonable and had to let her know that. AITA?

Many years ago there was a Simpsons episode where they went into Witness Protection and the show had the opener with The Thompsons sang instead. It was something my brother decided he would sing every loving time we watched the show for the next few months. I'd tell him to stop, mom would tell him to stop, one night Dad lost his temper and told him if he ever did that poo poo again, after being asked and told to stop, he'd never watch TV again. "We aren't watching this show to hear your poo poo."

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 25, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA for giving away my wife's espresso machine and grinder without her permission?

quote:

My wife thinks I'm an rear end in a top hat, my buddies are on my side since it was a mistake. I don't know what to do.

My wife Jane loves coffee. She used to work as a barista before getting a corporate job but she carried it forward and regularly makes us coffees with fancy patterns. She has a really fancy espresso machine with a grinder and they're her pride and joy. We often joke that it's the third wheel in our marriage given how much she's interested in the drink.

I thought for an early birthday present, it would be nice to get her a new one. I saw this seller who can refit espresso machines and customise them so I thought it would be nice to get one that has olive and sage green accents. I'm quite proud of myself for thinking of it and it would look a lot nicer in our kitchen. Hers right now is stainless steel and reflective which stands out like an eyesore. So I got in touch with the seller and he agreed and he also helped me refit 2 portafilter handles with olive wood. One of them has her initials carved into it and the other says "Happy Birthday Darling" with a heart. I was going to give her this today and then show her the machine. I also got her a new grinder and had that match the espresso machine. Thoughtful right?

Well there was an issue with delivery so her new machine got delayed. My buddy came by late last night to pick up her machine and grinder which I let him have because of the new one, and then in the morning she would have come down to see the new machine. Now there is no machine. She flipped out asking me what i'd done with it because it was pretty obvious it was missing so I said I'd given it away to my friend because he needed it.

I didn't want to ruin the surprise. She asked me why I didn't think to tell her and I didn’t know what to answer so I just said that his broke and he needed one. We went back and forth for a bit and then she said she was going to go to a cafe and left. She came back and then I forfeited what my plan was and she was thankful but still annoyed I'd given her machine away without at least asking her because it has sentimental value to her (her brother bought her the machine as a gift for landing her corporate job).

My view is that it would have ruined the surprise if I'd told her and the shipping only showed it was delayed this morning. I did message my buddy to see if we could get it back for now until the new one comes but he said his parents are using it and I don't want to inconvenience them over a misunderstanding.

AITA?

Jesus did not think this would be so huge. I am wrong, gonna message my buddy and offer to pay to help his parents buy a machine and grinder for the inconvenience

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for giving away my wife's espresso machine and grinder without her permission?

There's no better idea than buying your partner gear for their favorite hobby when you don't know poo poo about poo poo, and the absolute cherry is giving away their old equipment without talking to them or knowing if the new stuff is actually what they want.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The grandparents have had the machine for like two days. What inconvenience are they dealing with? "Hey sorry I gave away something I had no right to give away and I need it back" is all the explanation you need

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Also compounding the gently caress-up by refusing to "spoil the surprise" for that much longer.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Rescue Toaster posted:

There's no better idea than buying your partner gear for their favorite hobby when you don't know poo poo about poo poo, and the absolute cherry is giving away their old equipment without talking to them or knowing if the new stuff is actually what they want.
Yeah. If my husband bought me a new sewing machine and threw away my old one, we would have words. Many of them. I chose a machine okay, three based on its features and how comfortable and natural I found it to use. If somebody tossed it because it was an unattractive beige and bought me something more decorative, I'd have a shitfit.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Rescue Toaster posted:

the absolute cherry is giving away their old equipment without talking to them or knowing if the new stuff is actually what they want before actually getting the new one in
Fixed. Did he think she wouldn't want coffee at any point in the days/weeks till the new one actually got delivered? Or did he like hope she wouldn't notice or something?

Frankly, even if he did know exactly what she wanted and she'd already okay'd giving it away, it would *still* have been a complete gently caress-up to give it away before the replacement was there.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Imagine if he had told his friend 'Sorry, you can't pick it up for another week until the new one comes and I make sure she's happy with it.'

That would have been embarrassing!

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If somebody tossed it because it was an unattractive beige and bought me something more decorative, I'd have a shitfit.

But what if the new one had olive wood handles? You would really be the rear end in a top hat for not appreciating them putting in all that effort on what's obviously the most important factors when buying a new machine.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I also love the small detail the espresso machine was a sentimental gift from her brother.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for clapping to the “Friends” theme song?

ESH for watching Friends.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

I honestly feel as a non-parent that I humanize and respect children more than actual parents, and it frightens me a lot.

There are two ways of dealing with conversations with children, one where you remember you used to be one and how much it sucked and act accordingly and explain the things that you need them to IMMEDIATELY COMPLY TO FOR THEIR OWN LIFE AND LIMB in those terms and illustrate the dangers you protect them from, which they may find stinging in the moment but they will listen for you have earned their trust and respect, and remember you fondly for respecting their sentience

and the other "because I said so" route where they both ignore you, and if they survive, wait for you to die.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

B-Rock452 posted:

Up until recently some medical textbooks literally said black women and other minorities had higher pain tolerances than normal so they didn't need pain meds. When my wife was going through nursing school at UPenn (around 2010) there was a big uproar because they still used textbooks that stated poo poo like that.

I will never stop laughing that the goddamned south carolina statehouse tore down it's statue of J. Marion Sims before Central Park did

No points awarded to the state as a whole though, the largest women's dorm at U. of SC still has his name on it

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

shame on an IGA posted:

There are two ways of dealing with conversations with children, one where you remember you used to be one and how much it sucked and act accordingly and explain the things that you need them to IMMEDIATELY COMPLY TO FOR THEIR OWN LIFE AND LIMB in those terms and illustrate the dangers you protect them from, which they may find stinging in the moment but they will listen for you have earned their trust and respect, and remember you fondly for respecting their sentience

and the other "because I said so" route where they both ignore you, and if they survive, wait for you to die.

I am forever grateful that my parents included me in the decisions they made about my allergies and their reasoning. I've met folks whose parents took the "because I said so" route, either because it was complicated or they didn't want the kid to worry. They'd wind up eating those things they were told not to eat as soon as they got time to themselves because it had been lumped into all the other "parents say no" stuff instead of spelled out as dangerous, and they had bad reactions as a result.

They still made the decisions for me as a kid, but it was "here's what we're looking for, here's why we avoid this, here's the allergy newsletter with recall information and letters from other parents." This was pre-internet, the org that put that newsletter out is still around in some form or another these days and is on my short list of people to support if I ever get the means to do so and they don't turn out to have pivoted to something terrible.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

MagusofStars posted:

Frankly, even if he did know exactly what she wanted and she'd already okay'd giving it away, it would *still* have been a complete gently caress-up to give it away before the replacement was there because it isn't his to give away.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
My freinds told me (21F) that my boyfriend (23M) is fat

quote:

I (21F) have been with my boyfriend (23M) for three months, we have known each other for a year because we go to nursing school together and we just became inseparable.
I can talk for hours about how amazing of a person he is and how it feels like we were made for each other.
I always knew he had a crush on me but i told myself that he wasn't my type.
After i couldn't deny my attraction to him 8 months into our friendship, i confronted him and we decided we just go with the flow.
My mom had just died and didn't think I could handle a relationship because they always felt like a lot of work. But our relationship evolved so naturally and we fell in love, we talk about the possibility of a future together and marriage, and I couldn't be more happy.

I don't know exactly how much he weighs but I would say around 250 lbs (115 kg) for 6" (1.80m), he's is not conveniently attractive but I don't care, I think he's adorable.
I'm overweight too (180 lbs / 83kg) for 5"7 ( 1.75m) but I've always been told that I'm attractive and s*xy and never had trouble getting men to like me.

I was talking to a friend (F) that I haven't spoken to in a while and the conversation went like this :
Her : oh you remember a guy you went out with...
Me : actually, I'm in relationship right now, we go to school together
Her : oh ! The guy you said was fat and ugly !
Me : he's not ugly, I find him very handsome, plus, we're both fat and we make a cute fat couple. (I tried to joke about it)

I never said that ! I went through our old messages since we had only talked about him once before through text. All I said was that he wasn't my type and send her a picture of him. Never said he was fat nor ugly.
I got really mad and told my best friend (F) about this and she said that it was mean and rude.
My best freind knows a lot about him but haven't met him because she lives far.

A week later, we went on a date and I sent my best freind a video of us playing bowling. She send me a vocal text of her and her sister kinda making fun of him : " but girl ! He's so fat, I didn't realize he was this fat, what the hell did you like about him ? "

I got really annoyed, especially that I already told her how rude my other friend's comments were and how I didn't like them.

I'm not planning on our relationship ending anytime soon, I'm very in love with him. But I don't know how to answer these kind of comments.
He's so excited to introduce me to his parents and family. I will introduce him to my family at some point too but after my friends' comments, I'm afraid my family members will not like him or make fun of him because of his size. They are very judgmental and way less accepting then my friends.
I know their comments will hurt both of us and i'm afraid that they will make me doubt our relationship.

What should I do ?

TLDR : my freinds are making comments about my boyfriend being fat and laughing at our relationship

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Get new friends.
Alternately, counterattack by jabbing at their weight. They started it, you finish it with nuclear hellfire.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I know dense boyfriends are a common problem around here, but 6"/250 lbs seems a bit much

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I know dense boyfriends are a common problem around here, but 6"/250 lbs seems a bit much

Ba-dump, tsk!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Now with an update.

AITA For calling my fiancée selfish for wanting to announce her pregnancy at her cousins wedding?

quote:

Throwaway

My fiancee(29) and I(31M) just found out that we’re pregnant. My fiancée mentioned that she wanted to wait to announce it at her cousin’s wedding which will be taking place on Sunday. Her cousin and her husband has been struggling getting pregnant even with IVF or the tons of others. Recently they just got some news that their insurance has stopped funding IVF and not to mention the heartbreak of a recent miscarriage on Mothers Day. They almost understandably held off on the wedding.

So when my fiancée brought it up to me, I told her it’s not at all a good idea. This just seemed so wrong, especially it being at their wedding. I asked, if she was gonna at least ask her cousin for permission and she said, no because she wanted it to be a surprise for everyone. I told her it’s not the time nor the place for that and it would take the spotlight off the couple(in her family there hasn’t been a baby in 3 years so we’d be the first in that time).

Fiancée feels that’s the perfect time because it’s such a joy and it’s not like she can keep it away forever and their problems shouldn’t keep her from telling something so positive, so it's on them if they turn it negative. I told her that’s not the point, she knows what they’ve been through and she’s being selfish if she actually goes through with that. She cried and claimed I wasn’t being supportive and I shouldn’t be calling my pregnant fiancee selfish. She doesn’t want me to come with her to the wedding anymore either, feeling as if I would ‘kill the mood’. She hasn’t been talking to me either

Edit: So about my fiancée and her cousins relationship. My fiancée always saw competition in her cousin because her cus would be better at some things than her. (Grades, Dancing, Cosmetics, etc.) since they were kids and she hates that. Last year they had an argument about it because fiancée felt her cus bragged too much, where as my fiancée also mentioned “there was one thing her cus wasn’t good at” but never said what it was. So in shorter terms the relationship is in between good and bad, but her cus wanted to invite her to the wedding, I’m guessing to rekindle that.

Edit: If anyone is reading this, Update coming soon! Just been going through some stuff. Sorry for the long wait. Currently waiting for it to be approved.

UPDATE: AITA For calling my fiancée selfish for wanting to announce her pregnancy at her cousins wedding?

quote:

Sorry for the long wait as I have been going through some things (me and my fiancée breaking up, work, death of my grandfather, etc)

So I didn’t expect to get a bunch of replies to my post. But a lot of them were helpful, my ex was determined to go to the wedding, despite my protests and even planned out how she was going to be refusing alcohol when offered. I did tell my ex’s parents about what she was planning on doing. I didn’t want to tell the groom or bride because I wouldn’t know how to put it in words that would make the whole situation any less awful. Ex’s parents did end up telling the bride's parents and then they told the bride.

The bride was so upset that she, unfortunately, called off the wedding. Everyone wanted her to continue it and invite my ex for a couple of plans guests thought of (ex: when my ex announced it everyone would just stay nonchalant and not give her the excited reaction she was hoping for, and the classic just don't invite her plan.

The bride was just understandably wanted to be left alone and she just texted my fiancee a very long paragraph telling her what a horrible person she was. She just decided not to do the wedding anymore, and her fiancé was very heartbroken, but all in all, they were both grateful to me. My ex instantly knew that I was ‘the cause’ of all of this and she was furious at me, even more, because I posted about it here, but also said a pretty sick thing about how she still pretty much ‘won’ anyways. I just decided to break up with her myself after that.

Some of her family members are kinda upset with me, as they believed I just caused a bunch of drama. Now I'm currently in the works of talking to an attorney as my ex told me I will not be seeing the baby after they're born. So all that on top of grief, working, breakup, being called a ‘mess starter’ by some of her family, and still feeling like poo poo because either way the bride and groom were heartbroken. It's just putting a bunch of anxiety and stress on me lol. Anyways here is the long-awaited update. Any questions, I’ll answer.

Edit: So they were pretty much already contemplating on canceling the wedding. Family members did stress her out over her miscarriage and canceling. Her fiance's family were excessive about she couldn't carry a baby to full term like a real woman. Not to mention her own family went around spreading her miscarriage like wildfire which is how my ex and I found out. They told it to co-workers even. It's not the first time my ex has also interrupted her cousin's big events (ex: when turning 17, my ex cake-smashed her, which wasn't fun for her cousin) their first pregnancy announcement(which was the miscarriage) was ruined because my ex blurted the news out, but her cousins told to get over that because it was a miscarriage anyways, so she's told by family members

This is what I was told when asking her fiance. So she's been at a breaking point for a while. She was considering just still continuing the wedding but wanted to be left alone. They didn't call off the wedding permanently, just until the bride has cooled herself down.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

Do you want Stonehenge? Because that’s how you get Stonehenge!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Holy poo poo. Throw the ex into an acid vat and then throw the vat into a volcano. It's the only way to contain the evil.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Co-parenting is gonna be a nightmare too, I imagine. Well, gotta get through what looks like a legal fight for that first, too.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Holy poo poo. Throw the ex into an acid vat and then throw the vat into a volcano. It's the only way to contain the evil.

do you want an acid vat of evil? BECAUSE THIS IS HOW YOU GET AN ACID VAT OF EVIL.

AITA for wanting to play video games when my son goes to bed?

quote:

My husband (38M) and I (38F) have a 2.5yo son. I stay home with him most days but I do go into work a few days a week. Other than that I am his primary care giver, even when my husband is home. As you can imagine, he is a lot (my son, that is). I give him constant attention, get him everything he needs, entertain him and what not, on top of cleaning the house, preparing meals and working 2 jobs (one full time, one about 20 hours a month). I should mention that I am not concerned about the split of house duties (he cooks and cleans plenty) but I do wish I could have a little more time on the weekends where I could go shopping or something alone.

When my son goes to bed I like to play videogames. On top of that, I found a really fun group of people (mostly guys as you would expect but there are some women who join) and we hop on a group and play together, chatting mostly about the game but joking around and having fun. Nothing inappropriate whatsoever, all married men with kids. I'll play with them for probably no more than 2 hours in a night.

I'll admit, for a little while I was playing pretty much every night, but this was when my husband had a project in the garage. It wasn't until that project wrapped up that he let me know it was an issue I was playing every night. Fair enough, I was probably playing too much. So I cut it down to every other or every 2-3 days, but he started to ask questions like, why always these guys and why did they play so much. He asked me how I would feel if he was playing games with a bunch of girls. It's hard for me to imagine the scenario because it's unlikely it would happen, but I see his point.

Anyway now it's like I can't play at all. He will see me laughing and smiling while I'm playing and shoot me dirty looks. I feel guilt if I play. I feel like I'm doing something bad if I join the group. I do have another hobby but I don't feel like doing it at 7pm at night. Other than that I have zero friends. None.

So reddit, AITA here? Do I have some kind of addiction that I'm not recognizing? Or should I be able to decide for myself if I want to play videogames when I have no other responsibilities and unable to go out or do anything else?

this is the first reply:

quote:

Before my husband and I were married, he was a casual gamer. After we were married he would spend 2+ hours per evening gaming. His job is stressful, and he explained that his way of coping was to game. That was cool for a while, until he got super into raiding, and I was invisible to him. Then it started to bother me, because it seemed like he became a different person while gaming. I didn’t like how I felt. I felt like he should have been home, with me, at least for a little while, instead of his online friends. I got so desperate to catch his attention while his headphones were on one day, to see how he would respond, that I told him, “I’m pregnant.” He nodded and said, “OK.” I wasn’t pregnant. A different day, I asked him if he had noticed that his truck was on fire. He nodded, and said, “OK.” His truck wasn’t on fire. The point is, you need to be involved with the person YOU MADE A BABY WITH more than your online friends. He’s likely not salty about them being dudes, maybe he’s rightfully salty that you are tuning yourself into an alternate reality to escape the feelings of being overwhelmed by having a kid and working, and he NEEDS YOU IN REAL LIFE. Please don’t make him do cartwheels and backflips to get your attention tuned into HIM, TOO, because he needs you and your involvement as a wife to make him feel like a partner. When my hubs got super involved in raiding, I tried to pick up a hobby to match his. To pass the time while he was gaming. And when I realized that my hobby was just that, a hobby, I got bored of it and checked back in with him, he was still gaming. He didn’t even realize that I had picked up a hobby. Be very careful regarding your next steps. We came very close to divorcing due to his gaming obsession. Turns out he was desperate to tune out the real world and live in his own reality. Despite the fact that he tells me that he loves me and can’t survive without me. Get offline, hug your husband and your kid.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Man that response is projecting hard. OP's husband sounds like a jealous waste

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I’m not a gaming/MMO expert but I think serious raiding commitments are way more than 14 hours a week.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

Now with an update.

AITA For calling my fiancée selfish for wanting to announce her pregnancy at her cousins wedding?

UPDATE: AITA For calling my fiancée selfish for wanting to announce her pregnancy at her cousins wedding?

As much as it was probably the right call to just cancel the whole wedding, this:

quote:

Everyone wanted her to continue it and invite my ex for a couple of plans guests thought of (ex: when my ex announced it everyone would just stay nonchalant and not give her the excited reaction she was hoping for,

would've been incredibly funny to watch as it played out

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm

Consummate Professional posted:

I’m not a gaming/MMO expert but I think serious raiding commitments are way more than 14 hours a week.

They can be, world first WoW guilds, can and do raid 10+ hours each day until they finish the raid on Mythic difficulty. Standard Mythic raiding guilds usually do 9-12 hours a week. Normal and Heroic guilds are usually anywhere from 4-9 hours a week.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Consummate Professional posted:

That's pretty rare but habitual MMO players will often be playing more than that doing whatever. It more sounds like she's just chilling for a couple hours every night playing casually and shooting the poo poo with some friends. That husband just doesn't like when he attention is elsewhere if he isn't otherwise occupied ignoring her. Her attention being with other people is an additional threat, doubt he actually wants to spend that time with her so much as know she's not having fun without him.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah OP isn't raiding, that was a commenter. It doesn't even sound like OP is playing an MMO

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
She sounds like one of the various people we play with in our discord server. We're all old and married, most have kids, and we just like to play games and be positive influences in each other's lives.

It's actually really great. It's one of the best things about living in 2023.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Captain Hygiene posted:

Girls,

If your man is:

-250lbs

-A 6" tall cylinder, with an 8" diameter

-A shiny, silver metal that resists corrosion

-And has only a few uses

That's not your man, that's Osmium.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

ad090 posted:

They can be, world first WoW guilds, can and do raid 10+ hours each day until they finish the raid on Mythic difficulty. Standard Mythic raiding guilds usually do 9-12 hours a week. Normal and Heroic guilds are usually anywhere from 4-9 hours a week.
The raiding commitments alone are very unlikely to be more than 9 hours/week, but total playtime might be a fair bit more than that while you're doing other preparatory stuff.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Also large chunks of at least two of the families involved apparently.

ad090 posted:

I'm pretty sure with these things, while most of the top players probably do spend way too much time playing it, that does not necessarily mean that the people who spend way too much time playing the games actually become any good at it.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Nocheez posted:

She sounds like one of the various people we play with in our discord server. We're all old and married, most have kids, and we just like to play games and be positive influences in each other's lives.

It's actually really great. It's one of the best things about living in 2023.

:hmmyes:

After Pokemon ScarVio came out last fall one of my friends and her bf organized an informal gym league to get together every weekend and do battles, it was mostly comprised of people that had long since scattered around the country, gotten married, had kids etc. It was super fun (even though I got demolished in every battle :v:) and we loved just exploring the world after the battles and shooting the poo poo, catching up on people's lives, etc

This is exactly what that OP sounds like she's doing and the husband is a prick

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I (28m) and my ex (26F) broke up. I have planned a holiday trip. Her sister (24F) wants to go with me. Thoughts?

quote:

I am going to keep this short. A few weeks ago, I bought a flight and accommodation package for a holiday trip to a country my then girlfriend always wanted to visit. Let's call her Jen. I intended to surprise her on her birthday which is in a couple of weeeks. I was on my lunch break to get some food at a cafe and I bumped into her sister We chatted for a bit and she asked me what I was planning to do for Jen's birthday. I told her my plan and immediately her face turned blank. That's when she told me Jen has been cheating on me a couple of times and she could no longer keep it secret. I went to confront Jen after work about it. She denied at first but eventually she admitted to doing it a few times during our 2 year relationship. I packed my stuff and left to stay at my uncle's place. A few days later, i texted her sister to thank her for being honest and she asked if we could talk in person. She and Jen are no longer speaking to each other so I agreed. We met for a coffee and talked about the situation. She then asked what i was going to do about the trip, I said i was going to cancel it. She then asked if she can go with me instead of cancelling. She explained she needs space away from drama as her family is siding against her. Her only condition is to have separate beds. I told her I will think about it. Now I feel like I need a much needed time away and I also wanted to visit that country. i don't have anyone to go that has time to travel with. And I am not romantically interested in her. Thoughts?
definitely nothing can go wrong with this plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Dude take your uncle