Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

It gets explained.

I just hope it gets explained soon compared to where I am because I just gotta know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Goetz :unsmith:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

He is large and a friend

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

SirSamVimes posted:

My favourite thing is that she makes sure the crystal gets shattered first so the high priest gets to see his entire world crumble before she executes him.

I just got past that a few minutes ago and she's absolutely getting a bit more twisted as this poo poo goes on

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Dang, they go hard on people in the game world being incredible bigots. They should definitely buy more wolves.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Is Titan's royal guard really worth using? I feel like a perfect dodge can also give you lots of free damage, and more importantly it does it when you're out of harm's way. The royal guard counter-attacks seem like they aren't technically free attacks, because high-poise enemies can attack you while you're doing them. Which seems like it defeats the purpose.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cephas posted:

Is Titan's royal guard really worth using? I feel like a perfect dodge can also give you lots of free damage, and more importantly it does it when you're out of harm's way. The royal guard counter-attacks seem like they aren't technically free attacks, because high-poise enemies can attack you while you're doing them. Which seems like it defeats the purpose.

The counters are very powerful. Raging Fists is better tho'

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

ImpAtom posted:

The counters are very powerful. Raging Fists is better tho'

I might master raging fists and stick it on Garuda with rooks gambit. I'm using titan instead of Garuda rn and I miss the claw move, while I never use the block.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Did a really good side quest just now with Mid, and it was about her trying to build the airship from FFV. It was really sweet and cool.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

JBP posted:

I might master raging fists and stick it on Garuda with rooks gambit. I'm using titan instead of Garuda rn and I miss the claw move, while I never use the block.

The Garuda claw move seems like an integral part of combat. If you use the wire pull on an enemy when they're partially staggered and follow up with an upgraded Gouge, you are basically going to stagger them right around the time they would recover. The Garuda wire pull into Gouge is so potent that my entire playstyle is basically a rotation that is built around it.

The problem I have with Rook's Gambit and Heatwave is that my FF14-brain doesn't want me sitting on unused cooldowns for too long. Heatwave in particular is a perfectly good attack even without the counterattack damage boost, so I rarely have it ready for when a boss does their occasional ranged attack.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ok, mini-poll time: San-brekk or San-bruh-key?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I have been to Twinside and the events therefore of. Okay first off is really loving satisfying to Clive's Mom in loving distress, like they made that one good. Dug the crazy space battle and the bother team up, loved the classy music. Good poo poo. Not super wild about how very... there, Jill was. Like I know this is the Ifrit game but come on lady.

It's kinda sad that for Annabelle it all seems to have literally been about breeding, like a double dominant bloodline was her entire game but she's also Annabelle so gently caress her.

Ibblebibble posted:

Ok, mini-poll time: San-brekk or San-bruh-key?

I think it's San-brekk right? Thats how I've heard everyone pronouncing it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caidin posted:

I have been to Twinside and the events therefore of. Okay first off is really loving satisfying to Clive's Mom in loving distress, like they made that one good. Dug the crazy space battle and the bother team up, loved the classy music. Good poo poo. Not super wild about how very... there, Jill was. Like I know this is the Ifrit game but come on lady.

It's kinda sad that for Annabelle it all seems to have literally been about breeding, like a double dominant bloodline was her entire game but she's also Annabelle so gently caress her.

I think it's San-brekk right? Thats how I've heard everyone pronouncing it.

One of the things that might not be clear if you're not talking to the NPCs with regards to Jill is that she's actually in really bad shape. She might be a Dominant but she was being used like a Bearer by her captor, in comparison to the other Dominants who basically are called out for big guns only. She's way closer to turning into sand than basically anyone else even with the Dominant's natural resistance.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

One of the things that might not be clear if you're not talking to the NPCs with regards to Jill is that she's actually in really bad shape. She might be a Dominant but she was being used like a Bearer by her captor, in comparison to the other Dominants who basically are called out for big guns only. She's way closer to turning into sand than basically anyone else even with the Dominant's natural resistance.

Ah, that makes more sense then I guess, if disappointing. I was chalking it up to a art thing, where Cid was also one arm in the grave and only did limited action as Ramuh because he and Shiva don't have character designs that fit with super meatgrinder Kaiju brawls.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caidin posted:

Ah, that makes more sense then I guess, if disappointing. I was chalking it up to a art thing, where Cid was also one arm in the grave and only did limited action as Ramuh because he and Shiva don't have character designs that fit with super meatgrinder Kaiju brawls.

Yeah, I wish she was Shiva'ing more but I guess I understand why and it at least emphasizes the horrors of her enslavement in a way that isn't sexual violence. It'd bother me more if you didn't see Hugo fuckin' dissolve when he went all-in and his lore specifically mentions he only rarely primes.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Still early in the game, just reached Lostwing, and if the locations being linear means "small explorable area with an occasional chance to deviate," I think that would be fine for me. I was expecting XIII corridors (which I was cool with as well).

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I really love popping off a Heatwave just perfectly timed to wreck some fool boss' poo poo. Really makes me feel like a Bleach character.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I genuinely can’t express how much I despise Anabella - holy poo poo

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I got past the point of no return, game loving rules

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

SerSpook posted:

I really love popping off a Heatwave just perfectly timed to wreck some fool boss' poo poo. Really makes me feel like a Bleach character.

5 waves and super short cool down owns. I love it, great ability and easy to use.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I remember someone in the thread mentioning that they wish there were AoE’s. Master Flames of Rebirth, this ability is so extremely overpowered lmao.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

JBP posted:

5 waves and super short cool down owns. I love it, great ability and easy to use.

It has great range and AoE just as a normal attack in regular fights and does massive damage in boss fights as a counter with very forgiving setup and timing. Heatwave is great.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I’m in Northreach and the music track is this really unsettling new age-y piece. And the side quests. Goddamn.

Carew
Jun 22, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Done with the story! Game is sexy clive out of 10. Its tied with Final Fantasy 10 as my favorite FF game.

The final few hours are completely bonkers and awesome as gently caress.

Is there any truth to reviewers claiming (maybe spoilerish about how the ending is handled) the game ends up going off the rails and abandons its themes and plot threads? I wonder because a lot of the criticisms of this game ended up being extremely disingenuous and some were straight up lies.

Carew fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jun 25, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thinking about what works so well for me about FF16, is that this game doesn’t bog itself down with padding; no puzzle filled dungeons, or FF15’s annoying janky car rides that should have been really fun, but they actually weren’t. I wish there were mini-games, and a card game in here though, but it’s not something I’m about to knock the game for.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

game reviewers do not understand subtext and often only barely understand actual text

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Carew posted:

Is there any truth to reviewers claiming (maybe spoilerish about how the ending is handled) the game ends up going off the rails and abandoning its themes and plot threads? I wonder because a lot of the criticisms of this game ended up being extremely disingenuous and some were straight up lies.

No, those reviews are so completely off the mark. I’m really confused by what they mean by it, or if they even paid attention, but like, the main baddie is not at all subtle, he Bond villain explains his motivations and what he wants. It perfect aligns with the themes of the game though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The main theme of the plot is basically the same as every other Final Fantasy title; that you are in control of your own destiny, those with power will always try to take control of your life, and you should always kill god if the opportunity presents itself.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I seem to be triggering some king of slow mo during combat that interrupts enemies and allows me to get a few free hits in. I'm in Sanbrequois pursuing Benedikta so I'm not too far in. How exactly does that slow mo get triggered? It feels different from perfect dodge.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I seem to be triggering some king of slow mo during combat that interrupts enemies and allows me to get a few free hits in. I'm in Sanbrequois pursuing Benedikta so I'm not too far in. How exactly does that slow mo get triggered? It feels different from perfect dodge.

That's a parry, it happens when you attack an enemy at a certain point in its attack animation. The window is pretty tight and I've never done it on purpose, lmao

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Do you have the accessory equipped that does this?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Arist posted:

That's a parry, it happens when you attack an enemy at a certain point in its attack animation. The window is pretty tight and I've never done it on purpose, lmao

Practice on giygas type bosses/enemies. They don't have many attacks and they show up pretty frequently it feels like (just got past point of no return). Once you have the timing down on it, you can just parry those types down no sweat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Carew posted:

Is there any truth to reviewers claiming (maybe spoilerish about how the ending is handled) the game ends up going off the rails and abandons its themes and plot threads? I wonder because a lot of the criticisms of this game ended up being extremely disingenuous and some were straight up lies.

It is entirely disingenuous. At absolute worst you can say it does the Final Fantasy thing where it takes a concept and escalates it instead of treating it realistically which... it's fuckin' Final Fantasy of course it does.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I just had the scene in Port Isolde with Byron. This game is so charming. I love it.

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

I just did the mid game boss fight. This game is so good.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I just had the scene in Port Isolde with Byron. This game is so charming. I love it.

That's one of my favorite scenes so far in this game.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Do you have the accessory equipped that does this?

Nope, going to try not using any of those for now. Just straight atk and def for me so far.

Arist posted:

Ahh okay, yeah some enemies have big attacks and I seem to find a decent window to attack them through it. Though I literally just finished the Benedikta fight and there was no point where I could trigger the parry even after multiple perfect dodges through that triple flurry attack in the last phase.

Otherwise honestly this game is sick as gently caress and I'm having a blast. I get some of the complaints in this thread but i'm so happy to be enjoying a main FF again after not really liking 12 and on. I wonder what people who have zero baggage with prior FF games think about this.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

defeated the level 47 S rank hunt, and gently caress me that was so hard. Very close to losing it.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Carew posted:

There are a few themes/subjects that drop off towards heading the direction of the real FF plot but they are still relevant and involved (and moved into side quests instead of the MSQ). The plot of the game is reasonably tight and well thought (and the compounding dramatic irony that is used repeatedly is maddening in a good way).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Blockhouse posted:

The side quests are very Nier in that most of them are annoying wastes of time but every once in a while you come across an absolute banger like the two outside of Moore

way late but just hit these at Moore (don't think the town's much of a spoiler and it's probably the only criteria to hover on) and yeah, both were v v good