Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

makere
Jan 14, 2012
The free version of macrium is discontinued though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I just use clonezilla although setting it up to do resize for going to larger disks doesn’t always work for me

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
acronis was one of the other popular go-to's

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I thought $80 for a 118gb m.2 pciex2 optane toy was a good deal. Turned out to be a frivolous as all hell purchase because now i'm not sure what I'm going to really end up using it for other than to have a piece of history that didn't make it, since everything of note is built with the bottlenecks of SSDs in mind now. I could have bought a 2tb BX500 for that much and it probably would have a wider set of useful scenarios by the amount of space alone.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I can use Optane for sure in my ZFS pools with allocation classes to have the Optane drive (with redundancy) take the metadata primarily which will provide a solid speed up for lots of use cases where a TLC or QLC SSD would be a bad idea. Some folks think it’s better to have separate pools entirely for VMs and to avoid mixing workload classes but a poor man’s SAN is what a lot of folks are making into the prosumer category.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I just setup my zfs pool with optane for special metadata and slog. I’m not feeling a difference loading a directory of linux isos so far and I have much more complex setup now.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Can you park your hard drives and still browse the share? On my setup with no special device if I park the drives windows thinks the share is dead the first time I try to look at it because it takes so long to spin up.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

This 240GB Intel 530 has been in a VM hypervisor for a long rear end time. I think it had write amplification issues because wow, that is a lot of writes. The only reason I'm looking at it is that the hypervisor dropped it and showed it as inaccessible, so I plugged it into a windows machine to see what's going on. It actually shows up just fine, but I think it's time to replace it anyway.

The original Intel warranty was for 20GB/day for 5 years on these disks so if it's legitimately had 616,819 GB written (602 TB) in 766 days, that's 805GB/day. I doubt that is its real usage. Luckily while this thing was expensive in 2014 or whatever, a 1TB MX500 is like 50 bucks now.

makere
Jan 14, 2012

Rexxed posted:

This 240GB Intel 530 has been in a VM hypervisor for a long rear end time. I think it had write amplification issues because wow, that is a lot of writes. The only reason I'm looking at it is that the hypervisor dropped it and showed it as inaccessible, so I plugged it into a windows machine to see what's going on. It actually shows up just fine, but I think it's time to replace it anyway.

The original Intel warranty was for 20GB/day for 5 years on these disks so if it's legitimately had 616,819 GB written (602 TB) in 766 days, that's 805GB/day. I doubt that is its real usage. Luckily while this thing was expensive in 2014 or whatever, a 1TB MX500 is like 50 bucks now.

We had couple dozen of those Intel 530s at work at some point, they were one of the worst SSDs we had. So I think you're pretty lucky that it has been working for this long.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

makere posted:

We had couple dozen of those Intel 530s at work at some point, they were one of the worst SSDs we had. So I think you're pretty lucky that it has been working for this long.

Yeah it's actually still working, I'm currently replacing it while it's giving me a warning sign. It did a good job for however long I've had it, really.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Rexxed posted:

No I think that really is writes prior to write amplification. I looked up the intel product spec for the 530 and it says the raw value of SMART ID F1 "Total LBAs Written" goes up by 1 for every 65536 512-byte sectors (32MiB) written by the host. 0x12D2E61 = 19,738,209 decimal. Multiply by 32 and that's 631,622,688 MiB = 602.36 TiB.

The other field needed to get an idea of amplification is ID F9, "Total NAND Writes". You'd have to scroll down in CrystalDiskInfo to get it in the screenshot. F9/F1 is the write amplification ratio (but make sure to convert units, for reasons known only to Intel F9 is in units of 1GiB rather than 32MiB).

The other interesting one is E9, Media Wearout Indicator.

Intel posted:

This attribute reports the number of cycles the NAND media has undergone. The normalized value declines linearly from 100 to 1 as the average erase cycle count increases from 0 to the maximum rated cycles.
Once the normalized value reaches 1, the number will not decrease, although it is likely that significant additional wear can be put on the device.

Unsurprisingly your drive is at 1 normalized! Just for fun I worked out that 602.4 TiB writes with perfect wear leveling and 1:1 write amp would result in over 2400 erase cycles if the flash media is actually 256 GiB. That's pretty close to the ~3000 cycle rating typical for MLC flash. (The Intel doc does mention compression, meaning this is presumably a Sandforce drive, so who knows, if the stuff you wrote was highly compressible maybe write amp wasn't that bad.)

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

It's interesting that the E9 wearout indicator being at 1 means yes, it's worn out. Crystal Disk Info is just like woo, 100%! I honestly don't know what ESXi did to that disk in normal usage, it wasn't doing much actual file transfer like torrenting or a cache drive, it just had basic windows VMs running browsers, but I ran out of time yesterday so I'm still working on it and figure maybe I should take a look at the usage of the sandisk and PNY disks that are also in there. I feel like they had less on them and they're newer, but I haven't really given them a once over.

I guess if 16 VMs were running windows and chrome 24/7 and chrome is notorious for writing to disk a lot, it could account for higher usage. Maybe the way ESXi treats disks accounts for the rest. It hasn't been doing the full grind like that in a few years, though. It's nice that the disk didn't just up and die even though nothing on there is important. I have a TEAM group NVMe drive I just pulled out of a client's NUC and while you can get a file list on it, trying to interact with the disk in any way causes it to freeze the system and eventually timeout and disconnect. TEAM has a 3 year warranty so it's just garbage now.

Oh and yeah the total nand writes is below the total host writes in the top right, below the cursor which I managed to get in the screenshot. 834,746 GB!

Well the little 530 was a trooper.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rexxed posted:

It's interesting that the E9 wearout indicator being at 1 means yes, it's worn out. Crystal Disk Info is just like woo, 100%!

I think Crystal Disk's drive health is based on reallocated sectors and reserve space for SSDs.

That drive, despite the crazy total writes, still seems fairly healthy in that very few sectors have failed and it apparently still has plenty of reserve space. So my guess is that it actually has had very little write amplification, because it has been able to spread wear extremely well. Typically SSD write amplification happens when the drive is too full and also makes it hard to do a good job wear leveling.

Rexxed posted:

I honestly don't know what ESXi did to that disk in normal usage, it wasn't doing much actual file transfer like torrenting or a cache drive, it just had basic windows VMs running browsers, but I ran out of time yesterday so I'm still working on it and figure maybe I should take a look at the usage of the sandisk and PNY disks that are also in there. I feel like they had less on them and they're newer, but I haven't really given them a once over.

I guess if 16 VMs were running windows and chrome 24/7 and chrome is notorious for writing to disk a lot, it could account for higher usage. Maybe the way ESXi treats disks accounts for the rest.

Could be the VM is turning off write caching for the virtual drives?

I was gonna bring up how people on the interweb periodically discover sysinternals and watch something like a browser that's continually writing to disk, and are all "my ssd is gonna wear out!" But they're wrong because in normal use 99% of those writes never hit the drive. They're cached and because they're unimportant the browser or whatever program is lazy about forcing cache flushes.

Also I have no idea about how the VM host manages data but the virtual drive having some inherent amplification sounds super plausible. Copy-on-write would do that.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Hello SSD thread.

I have an older PC with 1TB's worth of SATA SSDs, plus an old HDD for storing video/photos/etc. Managing game installs on the limited SSD space now that every game is like 100GB has gotten very annoying, so I'm looking to fix that. There's an unused PCIe 3.0 M2 slot that I might as well make use of now that NVMe drives are cheap. I'm looking to buy a 2 TB drive to stick in there to tide me over until I upgrade to a new build sometime in the future.

I read up a bunch on my options and figured something like the SN770 is probably good enough for my purposes, but then I noticed the SN850X is only like 25 bucks more. I realize probably won't get any extra performance from the upgrade on this mobo given the bus limitations, but is it worth spending the extra cash on "future-proofing" for a potential later build? Also open to hearing if there are better options for my situation than these two models.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The SN770 is the drive to get if your next build is going to be PCIe4 (and you're scavenging the drives from your current build), as it doesn't lose much except in sequentials to the SN850x. HMB controllers have gotten really, really good for PC usage. The SN570 is the most relevant drive for your current PC, but it's only 8-10 dollars less than the SN770 and you're probably not penny pinching that hard.

The only problem is that you're not going to get a heatsink with the SN770, but most $200+ (eep!) mobos have an included heatsink with the slot that's intended to be the OS drive.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jun 15, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ojetor posted:

I read up a bunch on my options and figured something like the SN770 is probably good enough for my purposes, but then I noticed the SN850X is only like 25 bucks more. I realize probably won't get any extra performance from the upgrade on this mobo given the bus limitations, but is it worth spending the extra cash on "future-proofing" for a potential later build? Also open to hearing if there are better options for my situation than these two models.

Not really. The SN850x is faster in ways that are unlikely to matter if the thing you're future-proofing for is video games. It would be a reasonable upgrade if you were doing professional or semi-professional stuff. (A few pages ago the 850x was the best choice for someone doing AI training.)

If you wanted to spend some extra dosh "just because", the Solidigm P44 Pro is selling for the same $130 as the SN850x and is the fastest gen4 drive.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

The only problem is that you're not going to get a heatsink with the SN770, but most $200+ (eep!) mobos have an included heatsink with the slot that's intended to be the OS drive.

A heatsink is probably unnecessary if Ojetor's case has decent airflow and the secondary m2 isn't being hotboxed by something. The SN770 is a reasonably cool drive. Even if the ambient isn't great it will likely be fine for everything real-world, though it might overheat from benchmarks or extremely extended sustained writes.

tom's hardware SN770 review posted:

At idle in our open-air test bench, it radiated roughly 50C at the controller and 40C at the flash. Under load, the WD Black SN770 consumed so little power that it never thermal throttled without airflow. Peak controller temperature reached 83 degrees Celsius, just a single degree under the firmware's designated throttle temperature.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Awesome, thanks for the responses, I will just go with the 770. I mostly do work/gaming stuff, with some very occasional video editing to upload to youtube, so heat is probably not a big issue. I was just worried I'd be kicking myself next year for not spending the extra cash but it sounds like 850 is for more specialized work.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I'm looking for an m2 ssd to put in my thinkpad t480 in the wan slot. It takes a 2242 b keyed drive, nvme only no sata. These seem to be uncommon and/or very expensive, is there a recommended model or manufacturer, or any way to get one for less than $200, which is what amazon is selling the sn520 for?

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 18, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
For a 2tb? No. It's a specialty product that almost nobody uses. Particularly a B-key which isn't normally a ssd key.

Also many 2tb 2242 drives are double-sided, chips on top and bottom. This means they may not fit into laptop m2 slots made for wifi modules.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Not 2tb, any size will do. The main ssd is only 256gb

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

icantfindaname posted:

Not 2tb, any size will do. The main ssd is only 256gb

Oh I see, the SN520 is $200 because it's a discontinued part and that's just randos on amazon with jacked prices.

Random chinesium brand, but price is not stupid: https://www.newegg.com/kingspec-512gb-m-2-sata-2242/p/0D9-000D-00139

people on reddit says it works, the 512gb should be single sided. 1TB may or may not be -- Sabrent has a 1TB single-sided 2230 drive but kingspec is probably using cheap chinese flash that's a generation behind in density.

edit: alternately, why not just upgrade the 2.5" drive with a big sata ssd?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Klyith posted:

edit: alternately, why not just upgrade the 2.5" drive with a big sata ssd?

I don’t feel like reinstalling windows or repartitioning or whatever. This laptop is nearly dead, I’m just trying to get another 6 months or year out of it

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 18, 2023

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Also, that drive won’t work because Sata doesn’t work apparently, people on reddit say the slot is nvme only. Sata cards in that format are very cheap, but I almost literally can’t find nvme cards. That discontinued sn520 was the most commonly recommended one

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

icantfindaname posted:

Also, that drive won’t work because Sata doesn’t work apparently, people on reddit say the slot is nvme only. Sata cards in that format are very cheap, but I almost literally can’t find nvme cards. That discontinued sn520 was the most commonly recommended one

Oh right sorry, the right key but wrong interface. M2 is such a gently caress.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have three 256GB NVMe SSDs kicking around in a drawer and I need to put one into a general purpose desktop, they are:
  • WD Blue SN500
  • Samsung SM961
  • SK Hynix PC711 (Lenovo part)
I'm aware for the use that they are going to get they are all identical and it doesn't really matter, but is there any one worth using above the others? I can't really see a site that lets you compare them but it looks like at least from synthetic benchmarks the SK Hynix is the one to go for. Does that sound sensible?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

I have three 256GB NVMe SSDs kicking around in a drawer and I need to put one into a general purpose desktop, they are:
  • WD Blue SN500
  • Samsung SM961
I'm aware for the use that they are going to get they are all identical and it doesn't really matter, but is there any one worth using above the others? I can't really see a site that lets you compare them but it looks like at least from synthetic benchmarks the SK Hynix is the one to go for. Does that sound sensible?

it sounds like you know you want to use the sk hynix and it also doesn't really matter, so use the sk hynix.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Thanks Ants posted:

• WD Blue SN500
  • Samsung SM961

Sure. If performance doesn't matter at all for the use case, the WD would be fine too. The SM961 is actually the one I'd call "special", in that it's a MLC drive. So that I might save for some use where that would be useful for lots of writes. The PC711 is the same as the SK P31, which was notable for good performance and low power consumption.

If I had those three drives, here's how I'd look at their ideal employment:
  • PC for my mom
  • cache drive for a NAS
  • put in a cheap / refurb laptop

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Are the Samsung 980s on such a cheap discount because of the issues and reliability they've had? They're selling for $30 for a 980 500gb and $45 for 1TB on Amazon.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Thanks!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SlayVus posted:

Are the Samsung 980s on such a cheap discount because of the issues and reliability they've had? They're selling for $30 for a 980 500gb and $45 for 1TB on Amazon.

980 not-Pro is a QLC drive, so that's an appropriate price.

Dunno why the discount relative to previous, but the previous price was dumb.

edit: oh, nvm, I was mis-remembering that it was the Pro being TLC instead of MLC that people were upset about back when the two launched.

OTOH the 980 is Gen3 while the Pro is Gen4, so the it's competing against like the SN570, not the SN770.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 24, 2023

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It has TLC, but is DRAM-less according to https://semiconductor.samsung.com/us/consumer-storage/internal-ssd/980/

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
I had just bought that very same Samsung 980 Pro (1 TB) on Newegg for $65 a couple of days ago, so I'm surprised to see it mentioned here. I wasn't sure if buying any sort of memory from Amazon was advised since I heard that there were some bad issues with fakes being sent out. Ah well, a couple of dollars difference isn't going to get me down.

I'd like to ask a couple of questions about the Samsung 980 Pro SSD here. I'm just barely coming out from my six year-old PC that had a HDD, and I'm a little concerned about the longevity of SSDs. Is the Samsung 980 Pro alright for a casual user who does occasion content creation?

I plan to have the default aliexpress 1 TB SSD that came with my Beelink mini PC only contain the OS files, and use the Samsung 980 Pro for my day-to-day tasks. Is that too paranoid, or would I be fine using a single SSD for everything?

Are there any situations where it's recommended to have an external HDD to preserve the longevity of my PC's SSD? I mostly just download a few 100 mb of junk a day for photo/video editing, but sometimes I do download games from Steam.

Pardon the noob-tier questions. I'm just worried about experiencing the sort of horror stories I see people talk about where one day all of a sudden their hard drive dies, nuking all of the info on it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'd honestly be more concerned about a HDD failing out of the blue than an SSD. Using an external drive of some sort as backup is a good idea, but using one to try to reduce wear on an internal drive is really not necessary.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

god please help me posted:

I'd like to ask a couple of questions about the Samsung 980 Pro SSD here. I'm just barely coming out from my six year-old PC that had a HDD, and I'm a little concerned about the longevity of SSDs. Is the Samsung 980 Pro alright for a casual user who does occasion content creation?

There are no concerns about longevity through write wear for home enthusiast or even dedicated content creation work. SSDs can write hundreds of TB at a minimum. The 980 Pro 1TB is warranted for 600 TB, and every time anyone's tested SSD endurance to destruction they've all exceeded their specification. (Often vastly exceeded.)

Are there any situations where it's recommended to have an external HDD to preserve the longevity of my PC's SSD? I mostly just download a few 100 mb of junk a day for photo/video editing, but sometimes I do download games from Steam.

Pardon the noob-tier questions. I'm just worried about experiencing the sort of horror stories I see people talk about where one day all of a sudden their hard drive dies, nuking all of the info on it.

You should have backups. Anything can die at any time, if you only have data on one device you are playing russian roulette no matter which one you use.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
i had 20 500GB HDDs salvaged from existing 24x7 client desktops, and around 10 of them still had SMART errors despite nothing written on them and motors presumably slept their way through

ssds are indestructible versus this garbo rust tech for non-extreme I/O uses

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I’ve recovered data off a bad HDD using the freezer trick. If an SSD asserts due to some firmware bug you’re up poo poo creek

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
I've never heard of the freezer trick before, but consider me intrigued. Thank god I haven't had a HDD fail on me yet, but I'll remember that if one of external hard drives I use as an archive finally goes kaput.

So I'll try not to be more worried about using an SSD, going off what people here have said. But my next question is what do I do if my SSD does die? I heard someone on youtube say not to worry about it, since SSDs have a feature that supposedly makes them Read-Only once they can no longer have anymore data written to them. Is that true? Or is there some sort of data recovery service I can contact to help recover the data from a dead drive?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I've never heard of the freezer trick before, but consider me intrigued. Thank god I haven't had a HDD fail on me yet, but I'll remember that if one of external hard drives I use as an archive finally goes kaput.

So I'll try not to be more worried about using an SSD, going off what people here have said. But my next question is what do I do if my SSD does die? I heard someone on youtube say not to worry about it, since SSDs have a feature that supposedly makes them Read-Only once they can no longer have anymore data written to them. Is that true? Or is there some sort of data recovery service I can contact to help recover the data from a dead drive?

That's really more an argument for doing consistent backups than anything else. Any sort of storage can die in an unrecoverable manner, or get stolen, or destroyed in a natural disaster, whatever. If there is stuff that you consider important then backing it up is a much better plan than trying to figure out data recovery options ahead of time.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

SSDs are for most purposes irrecoverable if they fail. In theory they can enter read-only mode, but that's largely untested in practice and only applies to certain failure states anyways - you will likely retire that SSD long before you run out of writes, but if the controller bricks itself you're just hosed. There is no recovering the data once the metaphorical map to how everything was stored is gone, because the drive is shuffling things around constantly for wear leveling.

That being said, failure rates on SSDs are incredibly low compared to HDDs, and you should be practicing good backup procedures on important data anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

makere
Jan 14, 2012

isndl posted:

SSDs are for most purposes irrecoverable if they fail. In theory they can enter read-only mode, but that's largely untested in practice and only applies to certain failure states anyways - you will likely retire that SSD long before you run out of writes, but if the controller bricks itself you're just hosed. There is no recovering the data once the metaphorical map to how everything was stored is gone, because the drive is shuffling things around constantly for wear leveling.

That being said, failure rates on SSDs are incredibly low compared to HDDs, and you should be practicing good backup procedures on important data anyways.

Most of the SSD failures I have seen have been recoverable. Some went some insanely slow mode, but allowed to clone it, others might've been unrecognizable in Windows, but Linux copied data off happily. Often times HDDs still spin for a long time in "failure mode", and user only notices once it dies completely and is unrecoverable.