Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

BungMonkey
Sep 7, 2000

Mmm... Mulched baby...

Tomn posted:

Sorry, but what part of any of this is about securing Putin's African interests? Hell, the only reason Prigozhin could pull this off was because he was busy organizing forces in Ukraine, and explicitly not Africa. Is your argument that the MoD absorbing mercenaries directly into its command structure also means taking over Wagner's African operations? If that's the case, that seems like it's happening anyways? Details about what the deal was are sketchy but apparently Wagner mercs are getting amnesty and contracts to work with the MoD directly while Prigozhin fucks off to Belarus. How does any of that defend Putin's interests in the way you describe?
Reports out of Belarus were that he negotiated passage to Africa. Reports from the Kremlin say he's going to Belarus. We'll see what happens.

Putin's shadow army should maintain a low profile for a while, given the political cleanup that has to take place. Retiring the name "Wagner" seems like a good start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BungMonkey
Sep 7, 2000

Mmm... Mulched baby...
Wagner was in Ukraine because Putin had excess African money to throw around.

BungMonkey fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 25, 2023

RockWhisperer
Oct 26, 2018
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2023/06/24/us-intelligence-prigozhin-putin/

"A key trigger for Prigozhin, officials said, was a June 10 Russian Defense Ministry order that all volunteer detachments would have to sign contracts with the government."

Edit: I'll tack this on to keep it concise.

From well-noted historian Stephen Kotkin in an earlier interview:

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/ukraine/prigozhin-rebellion-putin-fate-russia-future-stephen-kotkin posted:

Has what’s happened in the past 24 hours changed your view of Putin?

Here’s the bottom line: even if it is now snuffed out, an alternative was allowed to arise. All this unfolded in real time, on video, over months and months. Putin did not intervene earlier and allowed things to get to this point. Stunning. Either he has descended into utter incompetence or he has less operational control than his media machine has been letting on. Or both. I expected him to be better at Authoritarianism 101. I expected him to understand this was the one threat in real time. I expected him to end the games, end the pitting of rivals against each other to control them, because it had become dangerous to him personally. I overestimated him. I would not want to make the opposite mistake and underestimate him now, though.

RockWhisperer fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 25, 2023

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
The good thing for Wagner rank-and-file is that they probably won't have to help support the Ukrainian disaster any more

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

acidx posted:

I saw it reported hours ago that nobody was killed as a result of those helicopters being shot down, but haven't seen anything else about it. Who knows if it was true then or is now. Either way, Russia is no stranger to quietly burying their dead soldiers in unmarked graves if a situation calls for it.

Most of those helicopter models do not have any way of ejecting for the crew.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

BungMonkey posted:

Prigozhin's funding and authority is provided by Putin for a politically independent shadow army to develop Putin's African kleptocratic ventures and act as a backup plan/escape route to Africa in case Russian politics turn sour.

Everyone else would prefer to see Prigozhin converted into a charred paste by a Kh-17.

Prigozhin does not benefit from escalation. He doesn't have the political sway, the manpower, or the heavy equipment to win a real fight with the MoD. The only reason he fought the MoD over the past 48 hours was because the MoD has been dangerously escalating its way up to an existential fight with Wagner for years, culminating with straight-up rocketing Wagner directly.

This was the Duke of Muscovy declaring war on the Duke of Afrikleptovy, and forcing Tsar Putin to take a side in a vassal conflict. Tsar Putin would prefer this vassal war not happen; he likes having a politically independent backup plan. Duke Prigozhin would prefer this vassal war not happen, he will probably lose his life to it (he has pissed off a lot of people with his loose tongue). Duke Shoigu and Duke Gerasimov think they will win easily.

There's an interesting superposition here: if Prigozhin can't meaningfully resist the MoD in defending the independence of Putin's African interests, he was never actually of value to Putin. If Prigozhin *can* meaningfully resist the MoD, he is an extremely valuable politically independent backup plan for Putin.

So, Wagner vs. MoD becomes much like Ukraine vs. Russia: the defending state is only going to get significant outside support if it can demonstrate it can plausibly win.

Prigozhin's astonishing commitment to defending Putin's foreign interests earns it Putins support in the vassal war.

This was never a coup. Prigozhin doesn't want the MoD and doesn't want the presidency. Prigozhin wanted Shoigu and Gerasimov deligitimized to where they could no longer escalate to a vassal war. He stated as much and made it clear by providing narratives that externalized accountability for everything that went wrong in Russia and Ukraine, including stuff that was very obviously Putin's fault, *specifically* onto Shoigu and Gerasimov.

His invasion of Moscow was no longer necessary when it was agreed that Shoigu and Gerasimov were no longer a threat and he could go back to securing Putin's African interests.

i'm inclined to agree. also interesting to note that the whole war in Ukraine was never even originally meant to include wagner, who were specifically excluded from it for the first few weeks until it was clear that it wouldn't be an instant success. the mod-wagner feud has been simmering for as long as wagner has been relevant to Russian interests, too.

very curious what actually happens at the mod and how much of a military force prigozhin keeps in europe vs returning to africa

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 25, 2023

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

acidx posted:

I saw it reported hours ago that nobody was killed as a result of those helicopters being shot down, but haven't seen anything else about it. Who knows if it was true then or is now. Either way, Russia is no stranger to quietly burying their dead soldiers in unmarked graves if a situation calls for it.

I'm not saying helicopters are unreliable in general but I'd rather be in a plane crash than a helicopter crash. The plane crash you can take steps and mitigate. You gotta roll a natural 20 on a twenty-sided die to survive a helicopter crash.

If someone from the russian government is saying nobody died, this is damage control to sweep all this under the rug and try to memory hole it.

BungMonkey
Sep 7, 2000

Mmm... Mulched baby...

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I'm not saying helicopters are unreliable in general but I'd rather be in a plane crash than a helicopter crash. The plane crash you can take steps and mitigate. You gotta roll a natural 20 on a twenty-sided die to survive a helicopter crash.

Unpowered planes with intact control surfaces require a runway. Unpowered helicopters with intact control surfaces can land almost anywhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autorotation

But yes, they're probably dead.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Alkydere posted:

He got what he wanted today but it eroded a lot of Putin's power over him, and everyone else really. I feel that basically Putin letting the MoD play stupid games has vastly eroded his power and this is basically the point where we point back in the future and go "Yeah that's when it visibly started to come apart". The whole Russian puppet show has been falling apart since Kiev didn't fall in 3 days, but there's rot, visible rot and when things finally visibly implode.

Didn't Putin just fail to manage his subordinates? It sounds like a classical error where your dogs start to eat one another for power but it went too far this time.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Also, for all of the talk of 11D chess, didn't Putin get on TV last night to call them all traitorous rebels and urge the rank and file mercs to disobey Prig and stay in Ukraine?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

Also, for all of the talk of 11D chess, didn't Putin get on TV last night to call them all traitorous rebels and urge the rank and file mercs to disobey Prig and stay in Ukraine?

Yep. Which is why any talk you see of "unified Russia" or "It's not so bad for Putin" is silly. You don't flip flop from "These men are traitors" to amnesty and concessions without suffering a cost.

quote:

But yes, they're probably dead.

This is a great article, thank you for that.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

quote:

Here’s the bottom line: even if it is now snuffed out, an alternative was allowed to arise. All this unfolded in real time, on video, over months and months. Putin did not intervene earlier and allowed things to get to this point. Stunning. Either he has descended into utter incompetence or he has less operational control than his media machine has been letting on. Or both. I expected him to be better at Authoritarianism 101.

Ok I am really trying not to act like i'm some sort of geopolitics super intellect but I get just a little bit worried when even the Best Brains making these articles have to ask a bunch of questions rhetorically around something that I think should be way more obvious, namely that dictators go kooky and lose their loving minds and that this has obviously happened here in russia

the writers at foreign affairs should not be getting blindsided by this whole part where this whole war thing is going on to begin with because putin had already gone absolutely poptarts

like were they expecting that the same guy who made the battle of kyiv go off exactly like it did was really going to be able to handle when poo poo got worse than he had already made the country without Ukraine's help

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Hard to accept the obvious reality that this guy is unhinged when your career depends on publishing papers and articles theorycrafting fancy wheels within wheels for any Great Power you're analyzing.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think in the aftermath people are already starting to downplay how much real danger Moscow was in. Prigozhin out and out stated they seized Rostov to get the airfield under control, and then on a hundreds-of-kilometers road march to Moscow the air attacks on them are weak enough to be driven off by some Strelas. We all saw the guys in Moscow deploying with machine pistols and the Wagner guys with T-90s. I think it's possible that if they kept going Wagner tanks would have shown up in the southern suburbs of Moscow late yesterday evening and Putin's national image would have collapsed.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Someday we'll have a Call of Duty level based on this and people will think its unrealistic that you can march on the capital and the only opposition you face is 8 helicopters.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Is it possible a few pissed off division commanders presented Prigozhin with the options of leading an insurrection or seeing how many extra holes he could live with? Then once he could he cut a deal immediately, sending the pissed off divisions to Africa where he wanted to be and accepting his place off the board in Belarus?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

It's technically possible Prigozhin took a ton of LSD and went to the bad place and when he finally came to he was 20 minutes outside of Moscow.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If this ordeal taught me anything, it's that we don't know poo poo about what is really going on or what could happen in any given situation and we should probably stop pretending like it could possibly be deduced by a bunch of random people on the Internet.

Putin could go on live TV wearing drag and announce that he's decided to retire and is leaving the Russian presidency to Hillary Clinton. It would make about as much sense as anything that just happened.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

In retrospect you would really want to have a bunch of loyal veteran rapidly-redeployable VDV guys sitting around for this exact eventuality.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

mutata posted:

It's technically possible Prigozhin took a ton of LSD and went to the bad place and when he finally came to he was 20 minutes outside of Moscow.

this is why authoritarian states hate lsd

Arglebargle III posted:

In retrospect you would really want to have a bunch of loyal veteran rapidly redeployable VDV guys sitting around for this exact eventuality.

they do, or at least did, all but one of those adjectives anyways. vdv units reportedly have not been a big fan of mod leadership over the last 16 months

KillHour posted:

If this ordeal taught me anything, it's that we don't know poo poo about what is really going on or what could happen in any given situation and we should probably stop pretending like it could possibly be deduced by a bunch of random people on the Internet.

Putin could go on live TV wearing drag and announce that he's decided to retire and is leaving the Russian presidency to Hillary Clinton. It would make about as much sense as anything that just happened.

i mean no one knows fuckall but also this exact situation was being speculated about and discussed a month ago so it's not like this was utterly unforeseeable. I wrote on here that it had no chance of working unless there was an major breakdown within the russian military wrt opposing such a push. that said, anyone claiming certainty or full knowledge of really anything more than 5 minutes from now is an idiot, yeah

the showdown between wagner and mod was brewing for explicitly about two months (and realistically reflects a rivalry/hostility that has existed since wagner's early days in syria) and particularly came to a head about a month ago. mod was trying to render wagner non-viable so obviously wagner was going to have to try something. like most things that happen anywhere ever, if you're paying attention to the situation it's rarely completely out of the blue. stuff being completely out of the blue usually just means you weren't really paying attention more than some innate 'the world is unknowable'

e: also

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1672781952221433856?s=20

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jun 25, 2023

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/KofmanMichael/status/1672687478841528320?t=61sc9Zut4nfaUBzbskIfRg&s=19

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I wrote on here that it had no chance of working unless there was an major breakdown within the russian military wrt opposing such a push.

Which they could have entirely had lol

That's the most amazing part is the the breakdown is so pervasive that all sorts of totally wacky outcomes can plausibly come about (like all this poo poo)

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

It does make sense that Prigozhin's hand was forced to do something, the MoD order seems like it would steal his entire mercenary company and then send him a order to charge across a minefield by himself or be executed for insubordination.
Combined with Wagner getting shot at and rocketed, not a great prospect for even the low rank Wagner soldiers to get folded into that and the likely russian military bullying of Wagner troops with the shifted power dynamic.

End result though is everyone involved looks weak and stupid and we're watching a empire fall at the very first country to stand up to their military in a self-inflicted ball punch, like a kid standing up to a bully at school and the bully losing all of their aura of fear and power.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Did they actually get rocketed? I know that Prigozhin claims that, but I also remember seeing some credible-enough people doubt that it wasn't staged.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How big is Wagner exactly?

Is Putin literally going to let a bunch of mercenaries who were about to invade the capital simply go home and act as if it never happened? I guess in American politics people get pardoned too but that's a weird way to do it!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
The Wagner guys are going to be spread through the whole army.

And infect it. Pigman I’d going to come back for round 2.

If Putin doesn’t get him first.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

How big is Wagner exactly?

Is Putin literally going to let a bunch of mercenaries who were about to invade the capital simply go home and act as if it never happened? I guess in American politics people get pardoned too but that's a weird way to do it!

Prigozhin said he had 25 thousand people. Estimates say it was around 10 thousand before the war, then augmented with 40 thousand new prison recruits, then it got ground down in Bakhmut.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
been rumors for 12 hours that there's going to be a change in russian military leadership coming soon. including now from people in the gerasimov/shoigu camp now. still rumors as far as I'm concerned, but interesting to see that starting to come from within Russia, though there's also been some foreign efforts to spread such rumors as well

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jun 25, 2023

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

WarpedLichen posted:

Someday we'll have a Call of Duty level based on this and people will think its unrealistic that you can march on the capital and the only opposition you face is 8 helicopters.

"Believe it or not, this wasn't because of memory limitations." - Some game dev

Herstory Begins Now posted:

i mean no one knows fuckall but also this exact situation was being speculated about and discussed a month ago so it's not like this was utterly unforeseeable. I wrote on here that it had no chance of working unless there was an major breakdown within the russian military wrt opposing such a push. that said, anyone claiming certainty or full knowledge of really anything more than 5 minutes from now is an idiot, yeah

the showdown between wagner and mod was brewing for explicitly about two months (and realistically reflects a rivalry/hostility that has existed since wagner's early days in syria) and particularly came to a head about a month ago. mod was trying to render wagner non-viable so obviously wagner was going to have to try something. like most things that happen anywhere ever, if you're paying attention to the situation it's rarely completely out of the blue. stuff being completely out of the blue usually just means you weren't really paying attention more than some innate 'the world is unknowable'

e: also

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1672781952221433856?s=20

Ehhhh I think it was pretty reasonable to assess that the situation was coming to a head, but beyond that I think everyone is baffled by how the breaking point actually played out. Making various moves for influence and Putin's ear, absolutely. A person or persons taking retirement, getting cashiered, fleeing the country, finding themselves in command of three Krushchev-era tractors in Buttfuck, Siberia - sure. Assassinations, no trouble believing that. But Prigo announcing he's heading to Moscow with tens of thousands of men to sort poo poo out, and then gathering a big head of steam that sees his forces basically unopposed except for single-digit choppers until Moscow is barely over the horizon, with Putin apparently having fled the city, AND THEN he goes "Well my work here is done" and calls the whole thing off agreeing to... exile and not really much else that's worth the paper it's not printed on?

That is the poo poo that all has everyone baffled. Maybe the first stage of a hothead going "I'll paint HIS wagon" and some of his guys are rowdy enough to go along with it, but no subsequent part is even slightly realistic. Yet it all happened.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

BungMonkey posted:

Shoigu and Gerasimov escalated to a vassal war by rocketing Wagner and attempting to take over its holdings. Prigozhin did the job he was put in place to do by defending the political independence of Putin's shadow army and Putin's African assets. It would be neither politically, rationally, nor emotionally correct (within sociopath psychology) to punish Prigozhin's loyalty.

They didn't do a rocket strike on Wagner, that was just misinformation by Prigozhin. Can't find it now but one of the more reliable Twitter accounts was talking about it.

This doesn't invalidate your argument completely; but my gut feeling is that you're mistaken - isn't Putin supposed to be in charge? As in, surely he should have known about and proactively prevented any vassal war before it happened?

Either way though, Putin is not nearly as in charge as everyone thought

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

WarpedLichen posted:

Looking forward to future Moscow Bus charity streams.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
i mean the idea of what ended up happening had been floating around publicly in discussions for a month, multiple major intelligence agencies were aware of it for weeks, putin was apparently notified of the plans in advance (and seemingly took no significant efforts to stop it in advance). the real unknowns that got people scrambling were the 'what if he goes all the way to moscow?' questions

one explanation that I think makes some sense:

(he's a strategic studies guy at st andrews)

jaete posted:

They didn't do a rocket strike on Wagner, that was just misinformation by Prigozhin. Can't find it now but one of the more reliable Twitter accounts was talking about it.

This doesn't invalidate your argument completely; but my gut feeling is that you're mistaken - isn't Putin supposed to be in charge? As in, surely he should have known about and proactively prevented any vassal war before it happened?

Either way though, Putin is not nearly as in charge as everyone thought

the rocket strike, real or not, is immaterial compared to the reality that shoigu was in the final stages of legally shutting down wagner

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jun 25, 2023

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
I can see that, Prigozhin wanted to push back but in doing so nearly toppled the whole country. Russia is like one of those saloons in the old Bugs Bunny cartoons, a flat front with 2 pieces of plywood in the back so it doesn't fall over.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
So that read is Prigozhin expected his convoy to hit some resistance there would be a tense stand off and then there would be a theatrical brotherly coming together where a deal is reached to save Russia.

But instead there was no physical opposition so he had to back down to avoid a collapse into anarchy that would help no one? Which meant there were no theatrics and everyone involved just ends up looking incompetent.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

lagidnam posted:

I can see that, Prigozhin wanted to push back but in doing so nearly toppled the whole country. Russia is like one of those saloons in the old Bugs Bunny cartoons, a flat front with 2 pieces of plywood in the back so it doesn't fall over.

You mean like a Potemkin village?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

a pipe smoking dog posted:

So that read is Prigozhin expected his convoy to hit some resistance there would be a tense stand off and then there would be a theatrical brotherly coming together where a deal is reached to save Russia.

But instead there was no physical opposition so he had to back down to avoid a collapse into anarchy that would help no one? Which meant there were no theatrics and everyone involved just ends up looking incompetent.

It's one of the more plausible explanations I've heard at least.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

a pipe smoking dog posted:

idk about 'theatrical brotherly coming together' so much as prigozhin gets his demand that wagner is not in-fact legally terminated and shoigu is neutered of his ability to go after prigozhin/wagner

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The entire situation resembles a mobster film, one of those scenes where the lieutenants convene to negotiate a deal, and then, seemingly out of nowhere, someone, most likely Joe Pesci, erupts with a burst of unpredictable violence and intimidation to prove a point. Then it subsides as abruptly as it began, and everyone continues as if nothing had occurred.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
has shoigu been seen or made any statement at all since this started? I've been looking but have seen nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
No lol