Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There are a bunch of side quests that won't appear significant until later on in the game, one of them wont be obvious until after the end credits. you absolutely want to do all side quests to get the most out of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe
I can't get over how earnestly this game creates maximally badass moments. What a loving video game

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I have unlocked limit break. This game is incredible. I love it. I need to sleep.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I just had the scene in Port Isolde with Byron. This game is so charming. I love it.

I love it so much, will probably be one of my favourite moments in the entire game if someone asks me in the future.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I've been going very very slow and savoring my time, but for those who have gone the distance - if I've unlocked limit break, what percent done with the story am I?

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Dang, Berserker's Ring sure is a thing huh.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Mordiceius posted:

I've been going very very slow and savoring my time, but for those who have gone the distance - if I've unlocked limit break, what percent done with the story am I?

based on what others have said about where the second time skip is in relation to the end i'd say that's maybe 1/8 of the way into the game

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

These side quests have actually been better than I expected from peoples' comments. They're usually short, but they seem to always have a decent bit of world-building stuff. The rewards are minor, but it's not like they even matter in this.

I just recently unlocked the limit break. Looking forward to when I finally get a third Eikon. I imagine that will help a lot with making a "build," since currently I have to sacrifice my post-stagger burst damage in order to have/use skills that hurt the stagger gauge a lot.

Initially I thought I wouldn't end up liking Garuda abilities much (and I do hate Gouge - makes my finger tired!), but Rook's Gambit is a ton of fun to use. I wonder if another Eikon will have an alternative to Garuda's "pull an enemy down at half stagger gauge" ability.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

just curious (immediately post 3 eikons): does the ambrosia quest unlock unless you help that dude with the cart 5 years earlier? i can't imagine they gate chocobo riding behind something so easily ignored, i assume it's just a dialogue change?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Is Torgal’s pedigree a rough approximation of how far you are through the game? I think it’s at 4 bars out 10 and I’m a few hours past the first point of no return.

I wish I had time to no-life the game. I played a lotthe first two days, had only a couple hours yesterday and won’t have time to play today. I’m going on a month long trip in less than 2 weeks, and it would suck to not be able to finish the story before I go.

Ytlaya posted:

I wonder if another Eikon will have an alternative to Garuda's "pull an enemy down at half stagger gauge" ability.

Even if one does, the sheer versatility of being able to pull down light flyers, suck in distant enemies, jump while attacking in the middle of a combo and mess enemies up at half-stagger seems way better than either of the other eikonic feats I’ve gotten so far.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Is Torgal’s pedigree a rough approximation of how far you are through the game? I think it’s at 4 bars out 10 and I’m a few hours past the first point of no return.

I wish I had time to no-life the game. I played a lotthe first two days, had only a couple hours yesterday and won’t have time to play today. I’m going on a month long trip in less than 2 weeks, and it would suck to not be able to finish the story before I go.

Even if one does, the sheer versatility of being able to pull down light flyers, suck in distant enemies, jump while attacking in the middle of a combo and mess enemies up at half-stagger seems way better than either of the other eikonic feats I’ve gotten so far.

It is not. I didn't get him to max pedigree until partway through my FF playthrough.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Thanks! Then about how far am I through the story if I’ve (very minor spoiler after getting the third set of eikonic powers) just met Clive’s uncle? It feels like the real game has just barely started and I have a lot more to go.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I don't know what torgal pedigree means and I am on my way to the fourth crystal.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

JBP posted:

I don't know what torgal pedigree means and I am on my way to the fourth crystal.

Torgal has his own little status screen you can view from the menu with a “pedigree” rank. Mine right now is “Fangs of Ruin”, and he’s at 4/10 ranks.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

JBP posted:

Now that I've seen that post I vaguely recall a tutorial popup about it but Ive not noticed it since.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Post second mothercrystal I loving KNEW THAT TORGAL WAS GOING TO BE THE FENRIR DOMINANT I KNEW IT

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Pretty wild to consider this is the first new mainline, single player Final Fantasy game since XII to not have been announced 17 years ago at E3 2006 for the PS3

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Pretty wild to consider this is the first new mainline, single player Final Fantasy game since XII to not have been announced 17 years ago at E3 2006 for the PS3

I know dev times are 5 years minimum these days but I really hope they're out of the slump with the series now and we get 17 this decade.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I feel like a mid-way plot point completely went over some people's heads (not here, but in another certain gaming community) and I cannot fathom how.

No Cid did not literally become the loving Se7en killer and mail a head to Kupka, he's obviously being played by someone

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Omfg this game lol. Just did the fourth mother crystal quest. This game loving rules.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

MechaX posted:

I feel like a mid-way plot point completely went over some people's heads (not here, but in another certain gaming community) and I cannot fathom how.

No Cid did not literally become the loving Se7en killer and mail a head to Kupka, he's obviously being played by someone

...no one seriously thought Cid actually did that right? No one could be that dumb .

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sakurazuka posted:

...no one seriously thought Cid actually did that right? No one could be that dumb .

Nektar did it

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Just got my fourth Eikon.

Game is a 7.5 out of 10 for me right now. It's great but compared to other games, especially other PS-exclusive or semi-exclusive games I feel like it's trying to be very 'safe' to redeem the mainline FF name while using a semi-unfamiliar engine.

Got my poo poo wrecked by the first A-rank mark (7 levels above me) but I think I can do it. Turns out the real downside to Will of the Wykes is that the particle effects make it hard to see wtf is going on.

I think this game really needed people to talk faster and also some idle animations. Every sidequest chat that's just Clive talking to someone needs some animations of him shrugging or sitting down or leaning on a table or something.

I know it's old hat to bring it up for comparison but like... Witcher 3 had the side quest Towerful of Mice in 2015, it was an entirely optional quest that you never had to finish, and it had multiple dialogue paths and endings.
Forefather's Eve is a one-off quest after that -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldQk7XuucXE

and like, yeah, it's just a wave-defence with a bunch of enemies. But FF16 has basically nothing in terms of sidequests that actually sets up NPCs and does stuff with the cinematic framing.

---

Unrelated to all the above:
gently caress motion blur, gently caress lens flare, and if the game had chromatic aberration I'd say gently caress that too. Why the gently caress do games want to reproduce what are lovely camera artefacts?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Motion blur is great actually
Also our own brains do motion blur as well. If it is per object or even better per pixel, it adds a lot to making things feel smooth.

And it looks like FFXVI is doing per object as it should. The gold standard still seems to be Insomniac Game's per pixel motion blur they use all the time in Spider-Man and R&C mind you.

Twibbit fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jun 25, 2023

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
2023 has given us two of the best videogame pals: Turgle and Torgal

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Carew posted:

Is there any truth to reviewers claiming (maybe spoilerish about how the ending is handled) the game ends up going off the rails and abandons its themes and plot threads? I wonder because a lot of the criticisms of this game ended up being extremely disingenuous and some were straight up lies.

Without being incredibly loving spoilery I will just say that the reviewers who said this are stupid and should probably find a community college to take a basic media literacy class or some poo poo, because all the normal escalation that happens in all FF games does is make the themes more explicit. And if you don't get that you are either actively choosing to miss it so you can bitch and make a clickbait title or you are, again, not intelligent and should not pretend you understand storytelling.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
32k damage on stagger for the second mother crystal boss. Feels pretty solid at this stage though I’m sure plenty of others have done better :toot:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Twibbit posted:

Motion blur is great actually
Also our own brains do motion blur as well. If it is per object or even better per pixel, it adds a lot to making things feel smooth.

And it looks like FFXVI is doing per object as it should. The gold standard still seems to be Insomniac Game's per pixel motion blur they use all the time in Spider-Man and R&C mind you.

Motion blur sucks, get that poo poo out of video games

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

All games should have a film grain option with loads of intensity options. Film grain slaps.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

When they just gonna let my pal Gav join the party. Beginning to feel bad that he always gets left behind. :(

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Mulva posted:

Without being incredibly loving spoilery I will just say that the reviewers who said this are stupid and should probably find a community college to take a basic media literacy class or some poo poo, because all the normal escalation that happens in all FF games does is make the themes more explicit. And if you don't get that you are either actively choosing to miss it so you can bitch and make a clickbait title or you are, again, not intelligent and should not pretend you understand storytelling.

Rage baiting articles you say? But I like and respect the reviewers who get me angry about the things I like getting angry about

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

typhus posted:

I can't get over how earnestly this game creates maximally badass moments. What a loving video game

:hmmyes:

If you know, you know.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

SyntheticPolygon posted:

When they just gonna let my pal Gav join the party. Beginning to feel bad that he always gets left behind. :(

At a certain part in the game Gav demonstrates that he is the most competent member of the entire group and he even (not dies) briefly becomes a party member

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Augus posted:

game reviewers do not understand subtext and often only barely understand actual text

I know game reviewers who understand subtext and they're all cowards, every one of them.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Macaluso posted:

Motion blur sucks, get that poo poo out of video games

It rocks, keep it in video games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

isk posted:

2023 has given us two of the best videogame pals: Turgle and Torgal

Should have been able to take Turgle into battle too

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

God loving drat it how was the 5th eikon fight somehow even better and cooler than all the marketing implied? Jesus christ give a double pay raise to everyone who worked on that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the random encounters put up as much resistance as dandelion fluff but several times now my train of thought against bosses has run something like “jesus loving christ, calm down! stop! STOP!”

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah that was me during the final phase the first time you fight Kupika

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
I just got the limit break did Cid really just pull a Se7en and send Benedikta’s head in a box to the titan dominant?! I was half paying attention so might have missed some context, but if so lmao this game rules, can’t believe they turned Cid into a psycho.