Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Ardennes posted:

In the end, the West is confused if Wagner are good guys are not,

Maybe this was a Wagner pr stunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

pro-russian social media people citing random guys in the duma, and norwegian media ("major russian losses! as many as 13 guys died" being the predictably tedious headline)

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

has anyone called him Pirozhkin yet

his actual name would suggest that this may have been an op of some kind

Ardennes posted:

Where did the 20 dead soldiers come from?

it's some kind of escalation of the "supposedly they shot down a helicopter" (just off screen on this video) to "supposedly they shot down 5 helicopters and a plane", and then the numbers of involved theoretical pilots

edit: kommersant is also talking about this, https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/6067982, but they mention that the ministry of defence hasn't confirmed any of these losses. don't know if there is supposed footage, the only thing I saw yesterday was the posts here with an explosion on a road (so probably not a plane), and someone filming the sky while running around in a parking lot with no visible explosions.

tazjin has issued a correction as of 11:48 on Jun 25, 2023

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Why would someone film the sky if there were not many planes and helicopters being destroyed?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Yeah we sacked Rostov-on-don
Crashed our tank into some cars
Got caught declaring martial law
Last Friday night

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Humiliation for loser bellingcat

Mr. Moses, your monitor...

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/24/world/europe/us-intel-prigozhin-warning.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2023/06/24/us-intelligence-prigozhin-putin/

NYT and WP reporting the US knew about Prigozhin's plans since mid June.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

V. Illych L. posted:

pro-russian social media people citing random guys in the duma, and norwegian media ("major russian losses! as many as 13 guys died" being the predictably tedious headline)

That doesn't sound confirmed.

tazjin posted:

it's some kind of escalation of the "supposedly they shot down a helicopter" (just off screen on this video) to "supposedly they shot down 5 helicopters and a plane", and then the numbers of involved theoretical pilots

edit: kommersant is also talking about this, https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/6067982, but they mention that the ministry of defence hasn't confirmed any of these losses. don't know if there is supposed footage, the only thing I saw yesterday was the posts here with an explosion on a road (so probably not a plane), and someone filming the sky while running around in a parking lot with no visible explosions.

Yeah, 5-6 aircraft being shot down...doesn't really jive with the forces Prigozhin had on the ground either, which was some infantry and armor on carriers. I don't know if I want to say nothing got shot down, but yeah, I don't think guesstimates really cut it.

The more of the aftermath comes out, the more this seems pretty non-serious. I guess you could say this was just a "lark" by Prigozhin but even then the government didn't do anything against him or any lieutenants. Perhaps, the Russian government figured out their mark, and that the West is absolutely starving for any sign of disorder in Russia ,and gave them a little bit of a show, while they are actually maneuvering Wagner forces in the background.

Also, how would the West know of Prigozhin's plans before the Russian state itself.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
putin still on suicide watch apparently

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

One man’s freedom fighter is the same man’s terrorist depending on whether it is before or after lunch time

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Ardennes posted:

That doesn't sound confirmed.

Yeah, 5-6 aircraft being shot down...doesn't really jive with the forces Prigozhin had on the ground either, which was some infantry and armor on carriers. I don't know if I want to say nothing got shot down, but yeah, I don't think guesstimates really cut it.

The more of the aftermath comes out, the more this seems pretty non-serious. I guess you could say this was just a "lark" by Prigozhin but even then the government didn't do anything against him or any lieutenants. Perhaps, the Russian government figured out their mark, and that the West is absolutely starving for any sign of disorder in Russia ,and gave them a little bit of a show, while they are actually maneuvering Wagner forces in the background.

Also, how would the West know of Prigozhin's plans before the Russian state itself.

Actually, the papers are all saying that Putin is fatally weakened and I'm sure they know what they're talking about.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

tazjin posted:

Kojima-rear end name, really

With Mr. Pireogi, you never know what's going on inside

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

I am reminded of the Barack Obama regimes mortal wounding at the bundy ranch standoff

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Ardennes posted:

Where did the 20 dead soldiers come from?

There is a breakdown list on reddit that basically summed up to
https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineRussiaReport/comments/14i0nz5/_/

3 helicopters landed with holes on them (probably got shot by Wagner with machine guns)

One Ka 52 got shot down with 2 pilots killed. I still haven't seen a photo of the wreckage so I am still skeptical about it. However the same sub has a new video of a Ka52 dodging 3 MANPAD rockets, so maybe.

And lastly a video of a IL-22 spinning out of sky with about 10 people on board. I am very skeptical the Wagner envoy carried any AA gun that can reach a passenger plane. Plus timing doesn't seem right. That video was posted the same time the Wagner soldiers were hugging and leaving the military building.

I actually really want to see proof of the downed KA52 , because that would be the only proof that this entire show was not a con. Or put it in another way, only Wagner and Putin were in on the op, but the MOD was taking it seriously.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The idea that putin's russia is about to implode is dumb but the notion that it's perfectly fine and normal and not a worrying sign at all for the state's sponsored mercenary company to mutiny, dispatch a flying column unopposed towards the capital to purge the MoD, be denounced as traitors in a national address, and then recant so as to go into comfortable exile (???) in potato-father's vassal state is, perhaps, questionable. It's hard for me to blame the libs (and this thread) for going crazy for half a day because those are some pretty remarkable events actually!!

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
the events were very good and i enjoyed posting through it. I helped save putin from a coup yesterday

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
We should form shitposting brigades, and deploy them covertly to the general Moscow area, where the troops would skulk around in the cover of darkness shitposting, thus ending the need for the special military operation.

Oh hey I wonder what the trash forum version of this post is! (that all of them endorse and agree with, by virtue of it existing there) :haw:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

stephenthinkpad posted:

There is a breakdown list on reddit that basically summed up to
https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineRussiaReport/comments/14i0nz5/_/

3 helicopters landed with holes on them (probably got shot by Wagner with machine guns)

One Ka 52 got shot down with 2 pilots killed. I still haven't seen a photo of the wreckage so I am still skeptical about it. However the same sub has a new video of a Ka52 dodging 3 MANPAD rockets, so maybe.

And lastly a video of a IL-22 spinning out of sky with about 10 people on board. I am very skeptical the Wagner envoy carried any AA gun that can reach a passenger plane. Plus timing doesn't seem right. That video was posted the same time the Wagner soldiers were hugging and leaving the military building.

I actually really want to see proof of the downed KA52 , because that would be the only proof that this entire show was not a con. Or put it in another way, only Wagner and Putin were in on the op, but the MOD was taking it seriously.

Or perhaps a local commander just panick'ed or wasn't in the loop because it didn't seem the rest of the MOD was doing anything either. There wasn't a firefight at the HQ (which there almost certainly have been) and for the most part Wagner was just doing its thing. If anything it seemed like most of the time there was zero friction besides possibly one incident.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
good forum is currently going on about videos of Russian troops being 'aced' in trenches at Tormak and lamenting that the 'proof' is all from 'controversial sources' that will get them 'probed' if they posted it

which is to say they're watching snuff videos of nazis killing Russian troops just in case i was too subtle

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Regarde Aduck posted:

good forum is currently going on about videos of Russian troops being 'aced' in trenches at Tormak and lamenting that the 'proof' is all from 'controversial sources' that will get them 'probed' if they posted it

which is to say they're watching snuff videos of nazis killing Russian troops just in case i was too subtle

You can keep the snuff out of the thread, but you can't keep the thread out of the snuff. lol

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I guess if all you watch is gorn then it must provide a very skewed perception of the war. I'd feel bad for these people were they not complete pieces of poo poo for reveling in it

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I am a paid member of Putin's Posting Vanguard. This forum has been identified as a key lynchpin in global sentiment and an important, militarily strategic fulcrum. My posts on SomethingAwful.com give material aid and comfort to the Russian forces.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

ro5s posted:

war's so loving stupid

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
it's not great

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Ok so my prediction is wagner will attack from Belarus soon while Prigoblin posts a video saying "psyche!"

Nix Panicus posted:

I am a paid member of Putin's Posting Vanguard. This forum has been identified as a key lynchpin in global sentiment and an important, militarily strategic fulcrum. My posts on SomethingAwful.com give material aid and comfort to the Russian forces.

Glory to the posters!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Prigozhin more like Primadonna

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Weka posted:

Ok so my prediction is wagner will attack from Belarus soon while Prigoblin posts a video saying "psyche!"

Yeah, with perhaps the Chechens making some moves around Kharkov and other sectors. I could see the MOD perhaps not wanting to put regular soldiers on the offensive, but using mercenaries and auxiliaries to pressure those frontlines (which are supposedly are depleted) may be pretty useful. The aim of the Russians is probably not going to be another beeline for Kiev or other major cities, but to keep on opening more fronts to keep the Ukrainians spread thin, especially if they can only fill in the gaps with essentially armed civilians.

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.
https://twitter.com/OlgaBazova/status/1672891911055585280

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
War bad. Many people saying this!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

Prigozhin more like Primadonna

posteriam slava

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

lmfao

speng31b
May 8, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

there must've been something happening behind the scenes here to make prigozhin roll the dice in such an insanely risky way,

the leader of a private corporation lets his ego drive him to irrational choices when he feels his role is threatened? maybe not such a deep mystery

speng31b
May 8, 2010

I don't like this

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

speng31b posted:

I am pretty sure they are trying to win it as decisively as they can without a general mobilization already, they are just not doing great

Contradictionsofliberalism.txt

Mass Armies and the Cold War: Institutional Post-Heroism?
Ingo Trauschweizer

"In the United States, the cultural perception of war changed as the nation came to terms with a protracted Cold War. John Lynn explains how Americans’ views on war evolved between the attacks on Pearl Harbor and 9/11 ‘from resolution to fight absolute war at all costs, to an acceptance of limited wars in the name of containment, to a reluctance to accept losses and the technological reliance and limited commitment such reluctance entails’."

"In his seminal study The American Way of War, Russell Weigley argued that the United States had pursued strategies of attrition from a position of relative weakness early in its history, but shifted to strategies of annihilation once industrial and technological and scientific resources became available. In the Cold War, however, neither approach worked and American strategy found itself, in Weigley’s words, ‘in perplexity’.12 How did the US army cope with such confusion? According to Brian Linn it could fall back on its distinct conceptions of war. Linn identifies three schools of thought among officers: Guardians, Heroes and Managers. Guardians were most invested in the defence of the homeland by way of coastal fortification and other engin- eering feats. Their reasoning held sway for most of the nineteenth century, even though it neither applied to the frontier in North American Indian Wars, nor to small wars and interventions in North Africa or the Americas, nor to the war in the Philippines. There, Heroes found their principal play- ground. Managers, finally, came to the fore in the Civil War and the world wars. They placed the main emphasis on mobilization of resources and on logistics."

"Like Ridgway, Taylor challenged the strategic and fiscal emphasis of the Eisenhower administration, but he did it from the perspective of a soldier- scholar and a manager of resources.Taylor fit his political environment: Secretary of Defense Charles Wilson once directed Taylor ‘to substitute requests for “newfangled” items with public appeal instead of the prosaic accoutrements of the foot soldier’."

"How did the US army recover from Vietnam? One school of thought stresses the return of strategic focus on the defence of Western Europe and on the Soviet Union as the primary foe. The result of tactical, operational and strategic thinking in the 1970s and 1980s as well as of the arrival of new weapons and communications technology made the army a leaner, more professional high-tech force. Another argument holds that intel- lectual inquiry and debate outweighed technological factors and that the post-Vietnam army was shaped by a new philosophy centred on operational art. By the early 1980s, it was apparent that emphasis on technology and on operational philosophy had merged in the new doctrinal concept of AirLand Battle."

"AirLand Battle was written for a new kind of army. The draft had ended in 1973 and the armed forces recruited volunteers as professional soldiers. Beth Bailey shows how the army competed for manpower with the other services and the civilian economy in the greater marketplace. She argues that soldiering was portrayed as a normal profession, albeit one with the underlying rewards of service to the nation and self-betterment through education and the acquisition of skills. Bailey concludes that while the army presented itself as a platform for social equality and opportunity for all Americans throughout the 1980s and 1990s, in the war on terror its self-perception and outward representation turned to the warrior ethos for motivation and identity formation."

"What, then, can we conclude about visions of war in the Cold War and their significance for our time? Brian Linn reminds us that we need to study small wars more than world wars and he argued that the US army needs ‘cautious heroes’ to meet the threats of the twenty-first century. Christopher Coker noted that warriors might yet face extinction, despite their apparent comeback in the age of terror, but he abhorred the thought of war without warriors, for it is the warrior ethos that helps us define the boundaries of war. As long as we focus on the East–West conflict, we are likely to conclude that nuclear weapons enforced the ‘long peace’ and military policy was driven by utilitar- ian and ideological needs. The resulting visions of war centred on technology and may better be called nightmares. "

tl;dr, liberal states can't mobilize and have spent a great deal of effort trying not to.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Hmmm..... considers all non-"Western" cultures to be failures, references Peter Thiel, calls the Chinese "autistic"....

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Be grateful baby Biden is not named "Yoda".

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

brown moses was right this really is like game of thrones

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Maya Fey posted:

brown moses was right

**finger twitching over probe button**

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Maya Fey posted:

brown moses was right that the US was covertly running guns out of Libya to Syria

It was his first major report and then I guess he got a phone call

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 20 days!)

fizzy posted:

and Prigozhin came out looking the more mature and calmer party

Catching up with the thread but I almost spit up my water at this line.