Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Isn't that just like... what their contracts/working conditions should be like?

Good to see ACT crossing the divide to pick up worker protections dropped by Labour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Individual contacts are how companies alienate workers from their government provided rights as workers, because those rights are expensive for companies so it's cheaper to pretend they're not employees for your company.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

Individual contacts are how companies alienate workers from their government provided rights as workers, because those rights are expensive for companies so it's cheaper to pretend they're not employees for your company.

Yep, unfortunately it often also benefits the individual workers because paying them substantially more works out cheaper than treating them as actual employees. So in certain industries it's to your individual benefit to be a contractor when it comes to income and some are literally inaccessible if you expect to be an actual employee.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

Isn't that just like... what their contracts/working conditions should be like?

Good to see ACT crossing the divide to pick up worker protections dropped by Labour.

they want to let employers get out of paying employees minimum holiday entitlements etc by putting a line in employment agreements that says "you're a contractor". and stop them from challenging it in court.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yer a contractor now Harry

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Solus posted:

It owns that the NZ SA Discord has been taken over by a deeply mentally unwell person that doesn’t even have an SA account

for a bit more context on this^, someone who is quite unwell at the moment had a breakdown in the middle of the night last night. They've been banned, mostly for their own good.

They do have a SA account though, no I won't be linking it.

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

Slavvy posted:

Yer a contractor now Hnry

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

jpparker55 posted:

I know it's not a popular opinion here but the Greens seriously need to step away from identity politics and towards broad base social welfare and environmentalism. These things will disproportionality benefit maori/PI anyway. Watch TOP get 4% party vote because of Davidson :rolleyes:

The tax policy was bold and I doubt lost them a single vote, hopefully gained a few. Certainly more meaningful policy than the nats are putting out. Culture wars are just free hits for the right.

I don't know what news sources you follow, but the Greens are touting one of the largest tax/safety net reforms that I've ever seen. They're campaigning on a massive redistribution of wealth which will benefit something absurd like 90% of the country. I'd be getting a tax break under this proposition, and I'll be honest, I really don't need a tax break lol.

What "identity politics" are you seeing them focus on? I'm seeing them campaign the usual amount on cultural issues, but its been background noise to the sweeping economic policy they've put forward.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://www.handsoffourhomes.nz/

god, if only

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Saw this in Parnell the other week. Thought it was pretty good.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Solus posted:

It owns that the NZ SA Discord has been taken over by a deeply mentally unwell person that doesn’t even have an SA account

lmfao what feckless nonsense have I been missing?

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Beartaco posted:

Great photo getting the ute and a house in the background

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004

Someone tell David Seymour's nephew to stop abusing gradient fill.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
associate professor of international politics doesn't know what dictatorship of the proletariat is smh...

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/on-the-inside/492525/sorry-prime-minister-joe-biden-was-right-xi-jinping-really-is-a-dictator

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Hands of four homes

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

exmarx posted:

associate professor of international politics doesn't know what dictatorship of the proletariat is smh...

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/on-the-inside/492525/sorry-prime-minister-joe-biden-was-right-xi-jinping-really-is-a-dictator

It's a really weak article too, Hipkins not falling for a 'gotcha' question about China is not noteworthy in the slightest.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Beartaco posted:

Emma McInnes does those, she's got an Instagram if you like them https://instagram.com/craftyurbanwitch

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

Beartaco posted:

lmfao what feckless nonsense have I been missing?

Woof wow so much bud they are gone now tho

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

bike tory posted:

Emma McInnes does those, she's got an Instagram if you like them https://instagram.com/craftyurbanwitch

Aha! Thank you so much. I'd had a look through the hash tag but couldn't find the artist.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

it should be allowed to run this kind of piece if you also run ten pro-ram-raid articles alongside it

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Damien "Convicted Fraudster" Grant

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Bomber ghost wrote it

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

That article is very telling, namely the part where he admits "I am not popular in the insolvency profession," so at least he knows he's a clueless loser

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Did they remove his capital letters because he's a convicted fraudster?

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Damien "doesn't qualify for a" grant

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I do not understand why they keep publishing his opinions? Is he paying them to publish? Is his dad the editor? Is it blackmail? Can I get my lovely opinions published?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

klen dool posted:

I do not understand why they keep publishing his opinions? Is he paying them to publish? Is his dad the editor? Is it blackmail? Can I get my lovely opinions published?

How rich and white are you

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

he drives clicks

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

klen dool posted:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

also yeah I've had op eds published in stuff twice in the last year or so, clearly the bar is incredibly loving low

klen dool
May 7, 2007

How? You just write them and send them 8n and ask nicely and maybe they'll publish them?

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

Oh raw sexual magnetism

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

klen dool posted:

How? You just write them and send them 8n and ask nicely and maybe they'll publish them?

opinion@stuff.co.nz

dialogue@nzherald.co.nz

helps if you have particular expertise or a role in some sort of relevant organisation

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
OPINION: I've worked in a Mosgiel dick-sucking factory for two decades. The government's co-governance agenda is tearing my community apart.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
factory? go local, get your rocks off at momona garage

klen dool
May 7, 2007

bike tory posted:

opinion@stuff.co.nz

dialogue@nzherald.co.nz

helps if you have particular expertise or a role in some sort of relevant organisation

Lol that doesn't explain Damien Grant

Right so unless stuff is interested in why Linux rulez and windows droolz I'm probably not getting an op ed any time soon

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
BT already hooked you up, but another way is that Stuff has long catered for reader contributions via "Stuff Nation".

https://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff-nation

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

bike tory posted:

also yeah I've had op eds published in stuff twice in the last year or so, clearly the bar is incredibly loving low

you can't post this without sharing your dollar site op-eds, come on now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

If, like me, you're a petrol car owner - don't forget to fill up before the 30th so you can get a tank of gas before it jumps 30c