Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

President Xi really needs to step in here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

That's just Ukraine's version of Jaden and the other ridiculous names being used in :amerikkka: nowadays.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

speng31b posted:

FYI-- it has been raised that we've gotten a little lax ITT about posting videos or images or tweets that include graphic content such as bodies. I've gone through post editing sprees several times in just the past few weeks to clean this kind of stuff up.

I'm going to start handing out sixers for this even if it's accidental. Just a warning to check your content carefully before you post it.

"It has been raised"?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What has Stacey Abrams done for Ukraine?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

PhilippAchtel posted:

"It has been raised"?

cspam feedback thread

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

tl;dr, liberal states can't mobilize and have spent a great deal of effort trying not to.

Well it isn't they can't but they lost the ability to with being managers becoming an increasing priority due to both the professionalization of the military, the rise in the political strength of the MIC, and a certain degree of an superiority complex.

Arguably, the Soviet Union kept within its own "heroic" mindset after the Second World War. That the Soviet military simply kept on advancing in the direction of treating a future war with the West with the lessons of past wars with the West. They simply didn't trust the West enough to be reduced to "mangers" and a state-owned MIC didn't have its own political agenda in the same manner.

One thing I would add is I would say the "Guardian" versus "Heroic" periods of American history probably overlapped to a degree. I get the point, but arguably during the 19th century, the military was much more of a "guardian" until perhaps the Spanish-American War.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Who the gently caress is giving feedback about cspam and to what end?

Ngl Send all snitches to the mercenary farm in Belarus imo

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Egg Moron posted:

Who the gently caress is giving feedback about cspam and to what end?

Ngl Send all snitches to the mercenary farm in Belarus imo

lol in this case it was correct feedback I think.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

lol

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Dear lord that man is pink

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
get out of here wagner

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
one man's freedom fighter is the same man's terrorist

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

speng31b
May 8, 2010

jesus

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ardennes posted:

Well it isn't they can't but they lost the ability to with being managers becoming an increasing priority due to both the professionalization of the military, the rise in the political strength of the MIC, and a certain degree of an superiority complex.

Arguably, the Soviet Union kept within its own "heroic" mindset after the Second World War. That the Soviet military simply kept on advancing in the direction of treating a future war with the West with the lessons of past wars with the West. They simply didn't trust the West enough to be reduced to "mangers" and a state-owned MIC didn't have its own political agenda in the same manner.

One thing I would add is I would say the "Guardian" versus "Heroic" periods of American history probably overlapped to a degree. I get the point, but arguably during the 19th century, the military was much more of a "guardian" until perhaps the Spanish-American War.

It's funny because the author grapples with the Soviet case, but I think there's probably an error here,

"Further comparison with the Communist powers allows for the identification of more general trends. In his study of the Soviet army officer corps, historian Roger Reese concluded that the Soviet state rejected ‘the Western bourgeois model of military professionalism, inhibited the growth of the military as a professional institution and in so doing reduced the potential for a more effective military establishment’. As a consequence, ‘the Red Army officer corps was, for the most part, unprofessional throughout its entire existence’, which contributed to extremely high casualties in the wars of the Soviet Union. Reese concluded that no military institution could build autonomy from state and party and thus the army adopted the positions of the Soviet leadership. But below the strategic level, the Soviet army nevertheless developed a sophisticated notion of operational art in the 1930s, which re-emerged in the later stages of the Second World War. In the early Cold War conventional arms were afforded a marginal role in Soviet strategic thought, but in the mid- to late 1960s, the Soviet army was asked to prepare for mechanized war with or without nuclear weapons. Consequently, Soviet generals engaged in close studies of the Second World War and rededicated their service to operational art just as the US army began to emerge from the stalemate in Vietnam."

"Emphasis on operational art required a great degree of skill, but it depended on sound logistics and heavy industries that could provide tanks, armoured vehicles and artillery for advances across vast distances. Indeed, Marshall Mikhail Tukhachevsky, the primary architect of ‘deep battle’ until his demise in the purges in 1937, advocated industrialization and militarization of the Soviet Union at breakneck pace to the point where Stalin accused him of ‘red militarism’. In the event, Soviet conceptions of warfare were mainly industrial and men were expendable. Cold War threat perceptions and memory of the Great Patriotic War served the needs of the Soviet army, which remained funded and equipped for protracted deterrence beyond the means of state and society. Historians Vladislav Zubok and Constantine Pleshakov have revealed the dual-headed nature of Soviet Cold War strategy, which was equally driven by communist ideology and deep-seated Russian fears and desires for empire. But there is little evidence that the Soviet army held a heroic conception of modern warfare and even public memory of the Second World War revolved less around individual feats of heroism than around the nation’s effort in total war."

My problem is with "But there is little evidence that the Soviet army held a heroic conception of modern warfare and even public memory of the Second World War revolved less around individual feats of heroism than around the nation’s effort in total war". Individuals sacrificing for the nation as part of a total war is heroic. They are, as individuals, sacrificing for something greater than themselves. I don't see why the author doesn't recognize that.

e: It's funny, the author makes almost all the same observations you did, even about the Soviet attitude towards a managerial military and MIC, but thinks those are bad things.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Good news!

https://twitter.com/OlgaBazova/status/1672866896163553280

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

has anyone called him Pirozhkin yet

yeah, like a month ago

Comrade Koba posted:

dude was a caterer, he should change his name to pierogzhin

could have happened more than once even.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

PhilippAchtel posted:

"It has been raised"?

Hello, I'd like to speak to the manager of cspam

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

speng31b posted:

FYI-- it has been raised that we've gotten a little lax ITT about posting videos or images or tweets that include graphic content such as bodies. I've gone through post editing sprees several times in just the past few weeks to clean this kind of stuff up.

I'm going to start handing out sixers for this even if it's accidental. Just a warning to check your content carefully before you post it.

was this about the VBIED tanks a couple of weeks ago? Because compared to the other threads that was nothing. It was an empty tank exploding in the distance and we have no way of knowing if anyone was killed other than the shockwave was pretty big

dudes in the other threads are watching people get executed in trenches

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

Naming my kid after the guy couping his country cuz he's mad they aren't committing enough war crimes on me

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/MOA_Official1/status/1672629623367127040?s=20

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ирина КуксенкоVа🇷🇺 posted:

According to updated Wagner data, it wasn't an IL-18 that was shot down near Voronezh, but by an IL-22. There were 10 people on board. When Prigozhin was already asked at the headquarters of the Southern Military District why, because this plane does not carry out strikes, but performs other functions, he said - an idiot in the column shot down everything taking off...

Prigozhin agreed to pay 50 million compensation to the relatives of the deceased pilots.

I have no words.
(from t.me/GrafinyaNegoduet/1390, via tgsa)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I was wondering about those soldiers who died in the half day civil war. the law may get screwy for soldiers who die in such a circumstance. but I guess Wagner is paying their families which cleans that up

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

Reese concluded that no military institution could build autonomy from state and party and thus the army adopted the positions of the Soviet leadership

e: It's funny, the author thinks those are bad things.

lmao

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

It's funny because the author grapples with the Soviet case, but I think there's probably an error here,

"Further comparison with the Communist powers allows for the identification of more general trends. In his study of the Soviet army officer corps, historian Roger Reese concluded that the Soviet state rejected ‘the Western bourgeois model of military professionalism, inhibited the growth of the military as a professional institution and in so doing reduced the potential for a more effective military establishment’. As a consequence, ‘the Red Army officer corps was, for the most part, unprofessional throughout its entire existence’, which contributed to extremely high casualties in the wars of the Soviet Union. Reese concluded that no military institution could build autonomy from state and party and thus the army adopted the positions of the Soviet leadership. But below the strategic level, the Soviet army nevertheless developed a sophisticated notion of operational art in the 1930s, which re-emerged in the later stages of the Second World War. In the early Cold War conventional arms were afforded a marginal role in Soviet strategic thought, but in the mid- to late 1960s, the Soviet army was asked to prepare for mechanized war with or without nuclear weapons. Consequently, Soviet generals engaged in close studies of the Second World War and rededicated their service to operational art just as the US army began to emerge from the stalemate in Vietnam."

"Emphasis on operational art required a great degree of skill, but it depended on sound logistics and heavy industries that could provide tanks, armoured vehicles and artillery for advances across vast distances. Indeed, Marshall Mikhail Tukhachevsky, the primary architect of ‘deep battle’ until his demise in the purges in 1937, advocated industrialization and militarization of the Soviet Union at breakneck pace to the point where Stalin accused him of ‘red militarism’. In the event, Soviet conceptions of warfare were mainly industrial and men were expendable. Cold War threat perceptions and memory of the Great Patriotic War served the needs of the Soviet army, which remained funded and equipped for protracted deterrence beyond the means of state and society. Historians Vladislav Zubok and Constantine Pleshakov have revealed the dual-headed nature of Soviet Cold War strategy, which was equally driven by communist ideology and deep-seated Russian fears and desires for empire. But there is little evidence that the Soviet army held a heroic conception of modern warfare and even public memory of the Second World War revolved less around individual feats of heroism than around the nation’s effort in total war."

My problem is with "But there is little evidence that the Soviet army held a heroic conception of modern warfare and even public memory of the Second World War revolved less around individual feats of heroism than around the nation’s effort in total war". Individuals sacrificing for the nation as part of a total war is heroic. They are, as individuals, sacrificing for something greater than themselves. I don't see why the author doesn't recognize that.

e: It's funny, the author makes almost all the same observations you did, even about the Soviet attitude towards a managerial military and MIC, but thinks those are bad things.

A lot of it seems also a little bit of non-sense, like "deep-seated...desires for empire" or there wasn't any room for individual feats of heroism in the Soviet military. If anything, it sounds like the author just wants to dismiss Soviet heroism in its entity. (Zubok himself is openly anti-communist, and his recent book is a real mixed bag. I wouldn't just take his word on something.)

Also, I don't know if a lack of a professional officer class was the issue with the Soviet military either, but the conditions the Soviet military was fighting under during the early days of the war. It is true that the Red Army/Soviet army was a chiefly conscript force, but that is a separate issue. In addition, the Soviets never gave up on being a conventional force after the war, the Soviets never gave up on conventional arms even if they added NBC protection to more and more of their vehicles.

Was there any sign of this IL-22 crash? Seems like it would be you know significant.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

speng31b posted:

I don't like this

dont worey, ill name my baby speng31b

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

I think by individual feat of heroism the author means calling down an airstrike from a safe distance and then going home.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I've seen multiple videos now of Ukrainian forces rolling over mines. It's a little weird how hard of a time they're having against such simple, well known impediments. Really drives home how little preparation they have.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I've seen multiple videos now of Ukrainian forces rolling over mines. It's a little weird how hard of a time they're having against such simple, well known impediments. Really drives home how little preparation they have.

well not like there's a history of a completely unprepared armored unit comprising of men who are completely unwilling to fight deployed in a completely pointless operation who only served as target practice for hezbollah's RPGs

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

https://twitter.com/EISuco/status/1672659721193496577

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Cpt_Obvious posted:

problem with minefields is that even if you know where it is it takes a long time to clear a path without specialized tools and vehicles, and you don't want to sit in a minefield for a long time even when the enemy doesn't have ten times the firepower that you do

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

KomradeX posted:

They are loving desperate for it to be 1997 again

Same

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The reaction from western "experts" is going to be a casual paranoia about some secret sinister thing going on behind the scenes.

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/1672960427842580482?s=20

I looked a bit into her background and it turns out she's one of the founding members of the Indiana Tea Party.

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The reaction from western "experts" is going to be a casual paranoia about some secret sinister thing going on behind the scenes.

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/1672960427842580482?s=20

I looked a bit into her background and it turns out she's one of the founding members of the Indiana Tea Party.

The original Tea Party was famously in favour of a nation's wealth being sent abroad to finance foreign wars

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Man, a monarch certainly wouldn't be doing poo poo like this all the loving time, they're too dignified and well-dressed and divinely ordained for that

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOVQ0GC22Qs

Very accurate and extremely real footage of Russian tank in action. Yes its safe to watch.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cpt_Obvious posted:

They had 3 months in total to go from civilians to soldiers, and they are attempting a task that even experienced soldiers could find distracting. It is less the soldiers themselves but their commanders who put them in absolutely impossible situation.

Also, you got to remember, while it made be obviously there are mines on a wide shot, they are stuck in a metal box with a limited field of view. It is just a very rough situation.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

wasn’t Germany like 60 miles from Leningrad when he got overthrown

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

I think by individual feat of heroism the author means calling down an airstrike from a safe distance and then going home.

Redefining Stand-off Warfare: Modern Efforts and Implications
Antulio J. Echevarria II

"Stand-off warfare – or fighting with extended-range weapons – has long been an essential component of armed conflict. Over the ages catapults, slings, arrows, javelins, firearms, artillery, rockets and other ‘distance’ weapons have been used to inflict as much physical or psychological harm on an opponent as possible before the ‘close fight’...These changes came, first, in the early part of the century with the development of aircraft and long-range bombing capabilities, then with the addition of precision-guided munitions in the last third of the century, and finally with the introduction of drones, robotics and other means of remote engagement in recent decades. To be sure, each innovation led to intense debates over whether ‘air’ or ‘surface’ capabilities were sufficient, or even necessary, to defeat an armed foe, and what defeat in fact meant."
(Why this hasn't actually worked to date)
"However, recent progress in two rapidly expanding fields, nanotechnol- ogy and biotechnology, suggests that the concept of stand-off warfare could be fundamentally redefined where it previously was not. Military applications in these fields might, for instance, make it possible to wage stand-off warfare without sacrificing proximity; in other words, the advantages of distance, namely, relative physical and psychological safety, might be present even if distance itself is not... Even if these unprecedented capabilities are only partially realized, they will help redefine the political risk–benefit calculus in favour of more military interventions rather than fewer. That, in turn, will contribute to ending the era of the ‘culture of restraint’"

"In the latter half of the twentieth century, bombs and missiles became much more accurate, suggesting that stand-off attacks could be so precisely coordinated and delivered as to achieve effects ranging from temporary or local incapacitation to general strategic paralysis, and they could do so with minimal collateral damage. It was no longer massive amounts of pain that were thought to be the key, but rather pain ‘surgically’ delivered. By the late 1990s, this version of stand-off warfare was being hailed as the distinguishing feature of the ‘new’ American way of war, a self-styled ‘asymmetric’ weapon that promised cleaner, shorter conflicts, despite the fact that the threat of ground assault was critical as well. One of the expectations of the so-called Revolution in Military Affairs (RMA) was, in fact, that costly and prolonged ground campaigns could be replaced by rapid, decisive operations by marrying precision engagement systems with extensive information networks. The campaigns in Bosnia (1995) and Kosovo (1999) did not alter those expectations, despite considerable controversy concerning the contributions by air and land power. In an era looking to reap a substantial ‘peace dividend’ through military downsizing, this expectation became in part the justification for reducing the number and size of ground forces."

"By the end of the twentieth century, stand-off warfare had become almost interchangeable with the idea of launching air or missile strikes from long ranges and with greater precision. It appeared to offer an opportunity to exert influence militarily without the risks associated with putting troops into harm’s way, which many saw as a liability in an era described as having no ‘great national purposes’ to motivate the populace."

"An information-based, air-centric military force equipped with a small surface component could also deliver as much coercive power as a larger, industrial- era military force using mass, which would make it the first choice in large- scale traditional conflicts as well."

"A historically grounded typology of armed interventions would have revealed the types of political objectives, military missions and other functions generally associated with those actions, particularly as regards ground forces, and would have eliminated the need to invent ‘new’ kinds of wars."

"This version of stand-off warfare has also raised a number of questions as to whether the message being sent by the use of sophisticated technology is the same as the one being received: apparently, the use of robotics is labelled as cowardice in some cultures, but, curiously, the use of IEDs is not seen in the same light. (lol)"

"It is easy to assume that killing at a distance or with machines means that contemporary warriors are less heroic, but – as noted earlier – stand-off warfare has been part of armed conflict from its beginning. The ‘valour’ of the archer and the peltast may have been despised by the more heavily armoured (and thus better-protected) hoplite, but that did not prevent military commanders from seeking to employ them on the battlefield. The question of what constitutes valour applies to all sides of a conflict, and the answer – driven in part by perceptions of advantages and disadvantages – will be invariably subjective. The difference in contemporary war is less the sophistication of the technology than its ability to kill or harm at distance, and therefore with impunity."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

speng31b posted:

lol in this case it was correct feedback I think.

All feedback should be met with ridicule, especially when it is warranted

I think the correct actions have been taken, I just feel like the feedback process should be shameful in the same way the posting process is shameful