Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Servetus posted:

This is extremely close to the Culture chart from Blades of the Iron Throne, which you absolutely should not buy, a Conan themed Riddle of Steel-derived game that leaned into the racism instead of toning it down.

The guy who invented Conan the barbarian was friends with HP Lovecraft and sat down and looked himself in the mirror after spending time with the dude and decided he had to be less racist so he's not as embarrassing as Howie

Anyways, the biggest freaks and weirdos are always the guys saying degenerate or decadent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
"degenerate" gets used as a game theory term frequently and sometimes causes arguments, but i dont know of any accepted words that really convey the same thing

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Feels Villeneuve posted:

"degenerate" gets used as a game theory term frequently and sometimes causes arguments, but i dont know of any accepted words that really convey the same thing

Suburban.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
just remembering several years ago on this forum where i was called a nazi for using "degenerate play" to describe gameplay interactions that occur when certain mechanics are broken

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
tcg players ftw

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ominous Jazz posted:

The guy who invented Conan the barbarian was friends with HP Lovecraft and sat down and looked himself in the mirror after spending time with the dude and decided he had to be less racist so he's not as embarrassing as Howie

Anyways, the biggest freaks and weirdos are always the guys saying degenerate or decadent

Howard was definitely more racist as a Texan vs New Englander

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Ominous Jazz posted:

It’s really confusing when both dudes are racists named “Howard”.

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

Countblanc posted:

My own experience is that algorithms, spreadsheets, etc are very helpful but tend to assume either perfect play or what the writer thinks near-perfect play looks like, so you need plenty of proper playtests along with thorough notes of said tests. It also helps a lot to go into tests with specific questions you want answered rather than general "was it fun? Did it seem balanced?" Like "did you find you were in a good position on turn 3 compared to turn 8? Why or why not?"

Thank you for these tips. I'll post in the other thread when I have it more polished.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

tcg players ftw

This owns, it's just a yu gi oh match irl

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Whybird posted:

I mean there's a sense in which "too much civilisation is a bad thing, but also not enough civilisation is a bad thing" is one of the explicit themes of the Conan books, and their DNA is all over the tabletop scene, but you just know that when the author writes Degenerate he's turning beet-red and flecks of spittle are forming at the corners of his mouth as he thinks back to that time he saw two men holding hands.

In case anyone wants the specific descriptions, it's from something called Magi and Marauders of Mu which, just to make it completely unpalateable, is apparently also filled with "AI"-generated art.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Plutonis posted:

Howard was definitely more racist as a Texan vs New Englander
What was REH's cat named, Plutonis

I don't know his REH's life history since he committed suicide. Lovecraft was indeed hella racist if with some vague signs of nosing up into "quite racist" before he got killed by stomach cancer.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I kind of appreciate that for just obliterating all subtext and bringing the promise of D&D's race and alignment systems to full fruition.

That said, if you just deleted the "Civilized" category entirely and tasked every player with deciding what kind of hosed up Moorcockian little guy they're playing as, you might have something there.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

That said, if you just deleted the "Civilized" category entirely and tasked every player with deciding what kind of hosed up Moorcockian little guy they're playing as, you might have something there.

lol this would kick rear end. Just an entire party of either hedonist freakers or troglodytes

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Reminded of PDQ-system game Jaws of the Six Serpents, which handled it better by saying that Civilized and Uncivilized were both advantages and flaws for characters to take. Not an inherent assumption of the game or world that either is better, but whether it tripped up or helped a character in their story.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Change it to 'Supposedly Civilized'

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
All men are uncivilized..... they can't leave the god drat toilet seat down....

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Plutonis posted:

lol this would kick rear end. Just an entire party of either hedonist freakers or troglodytes

I think Berskerk the comic pulls this off by having the demon summoning freaks and the church freaks be different flavors of hosed up

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ferrinus posted:

I kind of appreciate that for just obliterating all subtext and bringing the promise of D&D's race and alignment systems to full fruition.

Or like in something like Bloodborne and whether your Hunter is more likely to turn into a hairy Beast or a tentacled Kin as they slip into Blood/Insight fueled madness

Plutonis posted:

Yeah

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I have posted a lot of words about the racism of Robert E Howard and of H P Lovecraft and it's kind of weird and not necessarily productive to say "which of these guys was more racist" - but without really wanting to apologize for Robert E Howard, he did soften near the end of his life (he took his own life very young) and it may have been at least partially in response to his ongoing debate with Lovecraft that they carried on via correspondence.

Lovecraft had a deeply ingrained xenophobia and was convinced that miscegenation was a direct threat to (white) civilization (to Lovecraft, civilization was by definition white). Howard was skeptical that civilization was an improvement in the first place and believed that the natural state of humanity is savagery and everything else is temporary. I would like to think that Lovecraft's really explicit racist arguments in favor of civilization as a concept led Howard to actually notice some of his own prejudices and think about it. But I don't honestly know that to be true and I also don't think Howard ever turned into like, a person you could say "not a racist" of even by 1930s standards.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Lovecraft was always the most racist person in any group that he associated with, or that would associate with him, but it was most likely the former.

Lovecraft left behind tons of correspondence, as he was always writing letters, and loads of people kept them. The more of them that are uncovered, the more racist tirades just get added to the pile. "My dearest Aunt. I hope you are well, and your health favors you. I've recently purchased a new tweed coat, and found the fitting mody agreeable. Also, why do we consider Greeks human and let them mingle amongst us?"

He was the penultimate loser nerd before nerd culture was established, and it was EVERYONE ELSES' fault he was a loser.

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 26, 2023

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I'd argue that the problem with using "degenerate" as a game design term is that it usually just means "That way of playing makes the game less fun for me." It's not descriptive enough to communicate much more than that.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Capfalcon posted:

I'd argue that the problem with using "degenerate" as a game design term is that it usually just means "That way of playing makes the game less fun for me." It's not descriptive enough to communicate much more than that.

My person. It’s a technical word. It could not be more rigidly defined.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I'm not a math person, but coming from https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degeneracy_(mathematics), degenerate play seems like a decently useful/descriptive term. I could totally see the argument of "just use another word that doesn't piss off people who mostly hear 'degenerate' coming from another context", though.

I just read some rule the other day where it was like if you roll high enough on your spell you get 1 mana back and of course I was immediately thinking about some nerd sitting in his living room all day spamming basically cantrips to farm mana. Seems apt.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
If someone's talking about society and they use the term "degenerate", they're not thinking about maths.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Yeah the wiki article you want is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_degeneration Spoiler alert: it's bullshit.

In regards to "degenerate" in a sense of game design like "degenerate combo" I imagine it is referring to the same thing: "decayed away from proper balance" or something. If that's correct, that's slightly hosed up that that is the word we use at times.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xiahou Dun posted:

My person. It’s a technical word. It could not be more rigidly defined.
What's the use cass for RPGs? Genuine question. I know a few different uses for different branches of science and they don't all quite map* to each other.

*lol

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I have never heard degenerate used as a technical term in regards to RPG mechanics, I would be fascinated to hear about how I somehow missed it in my 30 year history of RPGs. :allears:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Kwyndig posted:

I have never heard degenerate used as a technical term in regards to RPG mechanics, I would be fascinated to hear about how I somehow missed it in my 30 year history of RPGs. :allears:

It's a thing, so who knows. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/design/what-is-quot-degenerate-quot-

Josh Sawyer uses it a fair amount, so you can ask him in the Obsidian thread in Games.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/68379-on-degenerative-gameplay-fixing-the-incentives-for-healing-and-scouting/

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That's video games, not tabletop.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it shows up frequently in CCG discussions, usually involving people wanting cards banned

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It's a broader game design concept, which applies to both videogames and tabletop. There's not a lot of articles that specifically discuss it, but I do hear it mentioned a fair bit here and there.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
anyway a ton of people use it badly and i don't know if there *is* a rigid definition but I think it's because there isn't really a better word to describe how certain problems in game design can cause it to break down, and devolve. like literally devolves - a hallmark of a broken game is when a complex game is reduced to something simple, like say, a complex game turning into "who can input the one mechanically ideal strategy in the quickest".

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Another example would be "first-order optimized" strategies, like the Big Money strategy in Dominion. You find one easy strategy that even beginners can do to win reliably, and then you just do that, even as it starts failing in more complex play.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kwyndig posted:

:goonsay:

It's common enough in theory discussions, I've heard it a fair bit in my 40 (:agesilaus:) year history of rpgs

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

This is a weird discussion to read since it's a term I use a lot.

So, say a game has five choices, and one choice is the mathematically optimal choice such that none of the other choices should ever be made. That's a degenerate case, and playing in a way that you make use of that degenerate case is a degenerate strategy.

However it also works in the opposite direction. If one of your choices is so bad it should never be used that is also a degenerate case. I suppose it could become a degenerate strategy too, but the thought is horrifying.

But yeah, the thing that makes it degenerate is that it is always better/worse than all other choices.

Unhappy Meal fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 26, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah i think the most "proper" use of it has been with things which specifically devolve the game due to provably ideal strategies. Civilization games where ICS is viable are another classic example

i think it especially gets used when said strategy is either obviously contrary to the intent of the game design, or if it's otherwise toxic for the game. e.g. things like best-of-3 / best-of-5 competitions where if you aren't careful with your tiebreak/time rules, you might accidentally promote an ideal strategy of "win game 1, timer-stall game 2 and win on tiebreak"

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, I've used the term a ton when describing mechanics that collapse a complex or interesting set of options into a narrow, optimal, boring one.

I've heard and used it for decades.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also it gets used badly a lot, same with other similar terms like "toxic" which is maybe the #1 word that's a substitute for "strategies i personally dislike".

i don't think a formalized definition exists

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah, I've used the term a ton when describing mechanics that collapse a complex or interesting set of options into a narrow, optimal, boring one.

I've heard and used it for decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Plutonis posted:

Your alignment options are Troglodyte or Bertha Butt