Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
He also buys items directly off the marketboard to spend the least amount of time thinking about crafting or farming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't think Estinien skips cutscenes but he does have them on auto-advance so he's probably missed half the exposition when he left to make a grilled cheese.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Doomykins posted:

He also buys items directly off the marketboard to spend the least amount of time thinking about crafting or farming.

He needs a doting wife (me) to take care of him.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Cleretic posted:

So who wants a weird little bit of trivia a friend and I dug up? Because we found a population snapshot as of a couple days after the launch of 1.0.

AKA: the last time CNJ was the most popular anything.
I'm sure the 2.0 launch looked similar, with tanks and DPS being split among multiple classes, but most healer players going to CNJ because it's the only healer available at lvl 1.
If you group that chart by roles, it's a lot more reasonable with 10k tanks, and 17.5k DPS vs 8k CNJ players

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

He needs a doting wife (me) to take care of him.

amen to that

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Doomykins posted:

:same:

I just want to look at cute glams and not deal with crafting most of the time :shobon:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Maxwell Lord posted:

I just now discovered the first set of HW healer gear:

and I mean I don't hate it but I have a few questions

I was well into the 60s when I discovered that they hid absolutely perfect ninja gear at level 51. Typically you'll be wearing Ironworks when you get into HW so you don't need stats for like five levels, if you're crafting you've quickly discovered crafting is bullshit in HW, and they don't start having npcs wear it until mid Stormblood.

E:

What would you even do with Aymeric? It's like trying to date an abercrombie and fitch poster. Looks and personality-wise.

He's going to be facedown in a pillow, it'll be fine.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 25, 2023

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Dareon posted:

I was well into the 60s when I discovered that they hid absolutely perfect ninja gear at level 51. Typically you'll be wearing Ironworks when you get into HW so you don't need stats for like five levels, if you're crafting you've quickly discovered crafting is bullshit in HW, and they don't start having npcs wear it until mid Stormblood.

E:

He's going to be facedown in a pillow, it'll be fine.

Aymeric radiates "service top" energy with the intensity of a million suns, actually.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Tamba posted:

I'm sure the 2.0 launch looked similar, with tanks and DPS being split among multiple classes, but most healer players going to CNJ because it's the only healer available at lvl 1.
If you group that chart by roles, it's a lot more reasonable with 10k tanks, and 17.5k DPS vs 8k CNJ players

My personal suspicion is that CNJ picked up both the healer players, and the people trying to metagame that early in: they were full of cross-class skills that looked really good, like Stoneskin, a magic damage buff, a number of healing spells,and all the elemental damage spells.

Granted, a bunch of those probably weren't nearly as good as they looked like they were, and anecdotal evidence from later in the game (I don't think quantitative data exists) says that Thaumaturge became the meta because once people understood the game better, people realized they could just do everything. But at launch things were still being figured out.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Just wondering: are there any small housing exteriors that would make the place look like a mad scientist’s abode?

I’m in the middle of actually getting into decorating the interior, with the top floor looking like a perfectly normal library/bedroom/lounge with books strewn all over the place… and the bottom floor is a dungeon with a mix of forbidden magical instruments and non-Allagan technology

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Regalingualius posted:

Just wondering: are there any small housing exteriors that would make the place look like a mad scientist’s abode?

I’m in the middle of actually getting into decorating the interior, with the top floor looking like a perfectly normal library/bedroom/lounge with books strewn all over the place… and the bottom floor is a dungeon with a mix of forbidden magical instruments and non-Allagan technology

Nothing would immediately hold for that, sadly. You'll probalby have to play a bit clever, make a 'normal-looking' house with unusual garden decorations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Finished up the Sorrow of Werlyt today. They are going to have to try really hard to make any future deaths top Valens' for both "over the top" and "karmically appropriate."

Asahi's definitely up there on the karmic scale, but Valens tops it for how well it was represented.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Dareon posted:

Finished up the Sorrow of Werlyt today. They are going to have to try really hard to make any future deaths top Valens' for both "over the top" and "karmically appropriate."

Asahi's definitely up there on the karmic scale, but Valens tops it for how well it was represented.

Yeah it rules. :allears:

Regalingualius posted:

Mad Lab!

By the comments the plating look probably involves layering a lot of objects into the walls. I do the same myself with halfways because I think rooms look goofy with their walls at their most open but they won't allow most objects to be adjacent to them by an inch or two.

There's a few interiors that are more utilitarian/grungy iron works than the others, as well as items like the Garlaean steam pipes. With creative hiding of objects in objects I think you could represent some good non-Allagan tech pieces too.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

You don't get to have that facial hair and not be called scuffed. My man looks like 16 trying to buy beer.

What would you even do with Aymeric? It's like trying to date an abercrombie and fitch poster. Looks and personality-wise.

They still call Thancred “old man” when he still looks maybe 20 at the oldest.

I just started back after a break with the “let’s get the gang back together and check out this cool underwater ruin”, and it’s really good to see Y’shtola is still Overlord of Sassland.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I thought Thancred was in his 30s due to the ARR timeskip from 1.0. That five year gap really gave all the main players more reasonable ages.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

There have been many bad takes in this thread and its predecessors. Incredibly wrong misreads of the narrative, stubborn refusals to engage with the mechanics of the game, just plainly stupid jokes.

But this is the worst.

If anything Estinien should take off more of his clothes.

I’m saving myself to become a Manderville Woman, thank you v much

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

I want gosetsu to piledrive me like yoshi-p playing zangief so I can't read which characters people want to gently caress

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

do NOT be HORNY in this GAME or i will CALL the AUTHORITIES :cumpolice:

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Is there an efficient way to level dps jobs outside of leveling/duty roulette? Leveling isn’t too bad but queues are otherwise pretty long…is there a new version of POTD to use?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

VanillaGorilla posted:

Is there an efficient way to level dps jobs outside of leveling/duty roulette? Leveling isn’t too bad but queues are otherwise pretty long…is there a new version of POTD to use?

Frontline roulette is just as much XP as leveling roulette every day.
You don't even have to play the job inside. You can switch inside and whatever you queued with gets the XP.
And don't forget the Wondrous Tails, which is exactly half a level for any job each weak (so use it on your high level ones)

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

VanillaGorilla posted:

There are two: Heaven on High for 60-70 and Eureka Orthos for 80-90 (Bozja fills the 70-80 gap).

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

VanillaGorilla posted:

Sort of? Roulettes are good. Rough order of value, things with queues will depend:
1. First Leveling, Trials, Alliance Raid, Main Scenario and Frontline roulette of the day.
2. Role quests, highest level dungeon available to you, first 5678 and Normal Raid roulette of the day, daily beast tribe quests in Shadowbringers and later.
3. Highest level dungeon with trusts or squadrons, Palace of the Dead, Heaven on High & Bozja, Crystalline Conflict, levequests. Guildhests you haven't done on that class yet, if sub-L40.
4. FATEs, hunts/hunting log, leftover side quests, and beast tribe quests before Shadowbringers made them rewarding.

Repeat roulettes are not generally efficient. The value of dungeon spam will depend on the queue. It's usually better to chain-queue the highest non-X0 dungeon available and do job quests, FATEs, hunting log and beast tribe things while in queue than run Palace of the Dead-likes or do dungeons with trusts/squadrons, but if the dungeon queue is very long for your role/level this might not be true.

The completion XP for a roulette (or other activity) tends to be a proportionally larger portion of the total XP at higher levels. Level 50, 60, 70 and 80 dungeons themselves give very little XP, although the daily roulette bonus is reasonable given how quick they are on average.

Don't feel compelled to do something you dislike (e.g. pvp or MSQ roulette) because it's ~efficient~, there's plenty of alternatives.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

yeah tbh once you get to 71 you can palm slam Bozja all the way to 90 if you want, it's surprisingly quick for what it asks of you and you don't even need to do anything difficult to unlock all of Southern Front.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Bozja is also where you get this crazy thing:

I don't actually recommend trying to get it, the grind is a nightmare (collect all field notes) if you don't want to mess with duels. Even if it is the most stylish way to taxi someone around.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I’m wrapping up Heavensward and noooo Ga Bu 😭

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

goblin week posted:

I’m wrapping up Heavensward and noooo Ga Bu 😭

:negative:

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

Bozja is also where you get this crazy thing:

I don't actually recommend trying to get it, the grind is a nightmare (collect all field notes) if you don't want to mess with duels. Even if it is the most stylish way to taxi someone around.

I'm like, three notes short of this thing and it's both Lyon duels and another duel in Zadnor. Sure they technically drop elsewhere but I could spend days farming and get neither.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Hunter Noventa posted:

I'm like, three notes short of this thing and it's both Lyon duels and another duel in Zadnor. Sure they technically drop elsewhere but I could spend days farming and get neither.

That's what I did, just sat in bozja semi-afk while doing wfh, keeping an eye out for the fates. Took about 3 weeks of this to get the... 3 notes I didn't happen to already have gotten.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Hunter Noventa posted:

They also drop from the dungeons that cap off the zones. SO you can just double farm drops by doing duels and the dungeons.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

They also drop from the dungeons that cap off the zones. SO you can just double farm drops by doing duels and the dungeons.

If they boosted the drop rate like other old content, sure, but I ran those the whole time the place was current and didn't get them, hard to convince myself to try again now. Just need Lyon and Lyon.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Kwyndig posted:

I thought Thancred was in his 30s due to the ARR timeskip from 1.0. That five year gap really gave all the main players more reasonable ages.

Yeah most of the cast that was present in 1.0, so the scions, are in their mid 20's or early 30's. Thancred is 32. Papalymo is 42 and the oldest scion in ARR, and Y'shtola is probably as old or maybe a bit older than Thancred.

F'lhammin is another weird one. She's only 37 in ARR. She's only 10 years older than Minfilia.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Estinien and Aymeric are also 32.

Tataru is 21. Krile is 22.

G’raha is 24 or 324, or 124, depending on how you want to look at it.

The twins are, of course, 16.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
https://twitter.com/surfacage/status/1673011511592374272?t=vJqmVSqiasydRPTryaSPlw&s=19

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Xerophyte posted:

Sort of? Roulettes are good. Rough order of value, things with queues will depend:
1. First Leveling, Trials, Alliance Raid, Main Scenario and Frontline roulette of the day.
2. Role quests, highest level dungeon available to you, first 5678 and Normal Raid roulette of the day, daily beast tribe quests in Shadowbringers and later.
3. Highest level dungeon with trusts or squadrons, Palace of the Dead, Heaven on High & Bozja, Crystalline Conflict, levequests. Guildhests you haven't done on that class yet, if sub-L40.
4. FATEs, hunts/hunting log, leftover side quests, and beast tribe quests before Shadowbringers made them rewarding.

Repeat roulettes are not generally efficient. The value of dungeon spam will depend on the queue. It's usually better to chain-queue the highest non-X0 dungeon available and do job quests, FATEs, hunting log and beast tribe things while in queue than run Palace of the Dead-likes or do dungeons with trusts/squadrons, but if the dungeon queue is very long for your role/level this might not be true.

The completion XP for a roulette (or other activity) tends to be a proportionally larger portion of the total XP at higher levels. Level 50, 60, 70 and 80 dungeons themselves give very little XP, although the daily roulette bonus is reasonable given how quick they are on average.

Don't feel compelled to do something you dislike (e.g. pvp or MSQ roulette) because it's ~efficient~, there's plenty of alternatives.

I would mention that Endwalker Hunts are very lucrative from 80-90. Doing all the daily Hunts at 80 is worth 50% of a level, and it scales down to just over 25% of a level at 89.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

HW spoliers: Nidhogg in your head must be a pretty demanding personal coach

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

hopeandjoy posted:

Estinien and Aymeric are also 32.

Tataru is 21. Krile is 22.

G’raha is 24 or 324, or 124, depending on how you want to look at it.

The twins are, of course, 16.

Wow, I'm surprised I'm the same age as Estinien and Aymeric :gbsmith:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

simply win the bozja duels if you want the field notes imo

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

bobtheconqueror posted:

Yeah most of the cast that was present in 1.0, so the scions, are in their mid 20's or early 30's. Thancred is 32. Papalymo is 42 and the oldest scion in ARR, and Y'shtola is probably as old or maybe a bit older than Thancred.

F'lhammin is another weird one. She's only 37 in ARR. She's only 10 years older than Minfilia.

Cid is 34. Those two are just extremely grandpapilled

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The abundance of characters with white hair makes ages in FF14 more of a crapshoot than most other Anime Ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Cid's facial hair is doing him no favors age wise....

Is there a mod for that?