Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
I was gonna say that it’s a good thing Prig isn’t dead yet or he’d become a martyr by the libs and get kids named after him and then I read the most recent posts lol lmao

Naming your kid after Sephiroth is way less cringe than naming them after a far-right PMC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I’m going to go out on a limb and say it’s not actually good when one of your military forces declares war on you and gets away with it, even if they stopped the war on you before a bunch of people died.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Frosted Flake posted:

"However, recent progress in two rapidly expanding fields, nanotechnol- ogy and biotechnology, suggests that the concept of stand-off warfare could be fundamentally redefined where it previously was not. Military applications in these fields might, for instance, make it possible to wage stand-off warfare without sacrificing proximity

The hell, does he expand on this at all?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
A far-right PMC or democracy loving freedom fighters, find out with the next post.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Putin may have easily stomped out this coup attempt in hours but think of all the other incredibly popular celebrity generals with private armies slavishly loyal to them just waiting in the wings ready to strike.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

zspam at it again with the cope

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

DesertIslandHermit posted:

I was gonna say that it’s a good thing Prig isn’t dead yet or he’d become a martyr by the libs and get kids named after him and then I read the most recent posts lol lmao

Naming your kid after Sephiroth is way less cringe than naming them after a far-right PMC.

Yeah for one you can just shorten your name to Seth. What the gently caress can you do with the Wagner guy's name?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

zspam at it again with the cope

Can you blame us? Putin's been critically weakened but is also more dangerous!:qq:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The story is fake:

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Prigozhiv having a tantrum and driving to the Kremlin is really funny but won’t amount to anything. The helicopter pilots are sitting with Officer Sicknick in Heaven now.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Majorian posted:

The story is fake:

A relief. Ukraine has not completely fallen to western liberalism.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
Lol, just lmfao at everyone ITT that still haven't figured out that Prigozhin is a Russian psyop.

"Hmm this guy rebelled, revealed who is and isn't reliable ... and then just quit? And the government didn't do anything to him? What does it meeeeeaaan????'"

Dumbasses,lol

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

BearsBearsBears posted:

Play Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. It explains everything.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

No it has, but some of you dorks believe the ragebait a little too easily.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Organ Fiend posted:

Lol, just lmfao at everyone ITT that still haven't figured out that Prigozhin is a Russian psyop.

"Hmm this guy rebelled, revealed who is and isn't reliable ... and then just quit? And the government didn't do anything to him? What does it meeeeeaaan????'"

Dumbasses,lol

There is no way the great minds at work in the West have been had, there must be some other explanation.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Organ Fiend posted:

Dumbasses,lol

Maybe Prigozhin thought all of his posting pals were legit Russian soldiers supporting him and not random liars on the internet.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Organ Fiend posted:

Dumbasses,lol

me (and you!): it's a scam, putin and prigozhin are very good pals and are working together on this venture
the thread: yes of course, but when is putin going to push priggy out a window for his treachery??

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Organ Fiend posted:

Dumbasses,lol

This whole operation was a mole hunt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY_0fvD1mZM

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

it’s actually a pro strat to have one of your cities briefly taken over by mercenaries.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The specific details of the story are fake, but Ukrainian baby names are very real

https://tsn.ua/ukrayina/yaki-imena-obirayut-ukrayinci-dlya-malyukiv-2022-roku-2128642.html

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Maybe Prigozhin thought all of his posting pals were legit Russian soldiers supporting him and not random liars on the internet.

like this post, right here

supporting him in what? a fake photo op?

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Best Friends posted:

it’s actually a pro strat to have one of your cities briefly taken over by mercenaries.

I wouldn’t say they took over a city. They drove by and stopped for coffee.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

I wouldn’t say they took over a city. They drove by and stopped for coffee.

and sausage tastymuffins!! it was A Good War

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Best Friends posted:

They stood around a building for a while and got Russian McDonald’s.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
prigozhin tried to rebel, realized it was a failure, and came back to work on Monday and pretends nothing ever happened.

"What, that? Are you kidding me? I didn't rebel. What, you took that seriously?"

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Prigozhin and Wagner are family names anyway.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I am no Russia expert but I thought a big part of the popularity and appeal of Putin was stability and increasing prosperity. If I have to pull over to let the mercenary convoy pass me as my family text chat is going nuts trying to figure out of a coup is in process, that would not make me feel particularly stable. obviously this thing could have gone worse, but the idea it’s actually good for Putin seems insane.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Obviously, I don't know for sure, and if it is, they're not going to loving tweet it, but that's my guess.

I heard on Russian language news that the governor of Kurskaya Oblast was the only governor in the region that came out in support of Wagner. He's also a former bodyguard of Putin, and speculated to be a successor candidate.

Wonder what's going to happen to him.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Best Friends posted:

I am no Russia expert but I thought a big part of the popularity and appeal of Putin was stability and increasing prosperity. If I have to pull over to let the mercenary convoy pass me as my family text chat is going nuts trying to figure out of a coup is in process, that would not make me feel particularly stable. obviously this thing could have gone worse, but the idea it’s actually good for Putin seems insane.

America never recovered from Jan 6, most of the population still lives in terror as their country would implode any second.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Best Friends posted:

During peace time yes.

During war time it's whoever's winning the war. That's why anyone that managed to make Russia look like it's winning became more popular over the past year.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Ardennes posted:

America never recovered from Jan 6, most of the population still lives in terror as their country would implode any second.

All the US news networks angle it that way, yes.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Best Friends posted:

Russian government gets to absorb Wagner into their forces and Prigozhin gets to gently caress off for a summer vacation in Belarus.

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

Clip-On Fedora posted:

https://twitter.com/mccaffreyr3/status/1672688625962872835?cxt=HHwWhsDTpa3cyrYuAAAA

Putin has been immeasurably weakened :smug: BUT THAT MAKES HIM EVEN MORE DANGEROUS :shepicide:

quote:

The followers must feel humiliated by the ostentatious wealth and force of their enemies. When I was a boy I was taught to think of Englishmen as the five-meal people. They ate more frequently than the poor but sober Italians. Jews are rich and help each other through a secret web of mutual assistance. However, the followers must be convinced that they can overwhelm the enemies. Thus, by a continuous shifting of rhetorical focus, the enemies are at the same time too strong and too weak. Fascist governments are condemned to lose wars because they are constitutionally incapable of objectively evaluating the force of the enemy.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Organ Fiend posted:

Obviously, I don't know for sure, and if it is, they're not going to loving tweet it, but that's my guess.

I heard on Russian language news that the governor of Kurskaya Oblast was the only governor in the region that came out in support of Wagner. He's also a former bodyguard of Putin, and speculated to be a successor candidate.

Wonder what's going to happen to him.

everyone loves a redemption arc

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Ardennes posted:

There is no way the great minds at work in the West have been had, there must be some other explanation.

killin a dozen of my pilots to own the libs

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Ardennes posted:

there is a big difference between ‘living in terror’ and something being actually good. to take your example, Jan 6 was an actual, measurable drag on the republican party in the following midterms that they should have cleaned up in. I get saying that this is a decent outcome of a bad situation, sure. positioning this situation as an actual positive is, however, loving wild.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

BearsBearsBears posted:

"Military applications of nanotechnology begin with integrating nano-computers into weapons, uniforms, and communications and logistical systems to improve survivability, reliability, efficiency, and effectiveness. For instance, nanomaterials are being integrated into military vehicles to make them more resistant to penetration, yet lighter and more agile, which will increase their survivability against IEDs and anti-armour projectiles. Vehicle engines are being built with nanoscale structures attached that are capable of conducting self-diagnosis and self-repair. This, in turn, is expected to enhance reliability and allow for smaller logistical tails while extending operational range."

"Weapon reliability and effectiveness are also being increased; small-calibre munitions are being developed with MIRV-like capabilities that will enable single rounds to strike multiple targets simultaneously. Existing stand-off capabilities are also being augmented with nanoscale robotics that can perform reconnaissance, communications, and targeting missions, and can do so in combination with larger, macro-scale technologies such as drones and UAVs. In addition, soldiers will have better individual protection through bullet-resistant uniforms constructed of nanomaterials and integrated nanocomputers that can be programmed to monitor basic health functions, communicate important physiological information automatically, protect against chemical and biological agents, and treat injuries with tier-one triage."

"Thus, the advances noted above are all moving in the direction of reducing the risks associated with close combat, while also making stand-off engagement more accurate and effective."

"Military applications of biotechnology currently range from efforts to enhance individual combat effectiveness through doping or genetic manipulation to endeavours to develop new and more precise forms of biological warfare, which include ultra-microscale weapons capable of attacking genes, proteins, cells, tissues, or specific organs. Just as nanotechnology can enable materials to become 'smarter' and more capable, biotechnology is helping to improve human performance in general, and specifically under various forms of physical and emotional stress."

"Biological warfare has a long and storied history, which includes revelations about the extent of the Soviet biological warfare programme and relatively recent bioterrorist incidents that need not be repeated here. Suffice to say that, from a military perspective, the long-standing problem with biological warfare is how difficult it is to limit the effects of attacks to enemy combatants only: biological warfare has lacked the element of precision; a germ or virus would infect anyone who was not protected, and protection had to be so extensive that it would result in degradation of combat performance. However, recent advances in biotechnology are making it possible to launch attacks with a level of precision hitherto unachievable, and it can apply to humans and other animals, plants, as well as inanimate objects, such as vehicles, armaments and food or water sources. Rubber-invading compounds, for instance, exist which can damage only rubber goods, and thus impair an opponent’s ability to move. Also, biotech weapons are under development that can inflict ‘reversible’ wounds, or heal some wounds more rapidly."

"Thus, in theory at least, biotechnology appears to offer the means to launch attacks that can be controlled as far as the affected population, and that in some cases can be of limited duration."

"Another factor that would affect the rate of development of these capabilities is that it is not clear to what extent the international community would work to impede them, despite the possibility that they might result in fewer casualties in an armed conflict. Most of the military applications mentioned above, particularly those in the realm of biotechnology, fall outside existing arms control conventions and non-proliferation treaties. The upshot of all these points is that progress in weaponizing nano- and biotechnologies is likely to continue, whether or not protocols are developed; but its rate will be more difficult to predict, and regulatory compliance just as challenging to ensure as with nuclear or biological programmes."

"The military applications discussed above, as well as their potential combination with UAVs and other robotics, are thus reflective of a growing trend of capabilities that will see use at some point, in some degree. They are part of an ongoing effort to protect, possibly even insulate, military (and civilian) personnel from the physical and psychological effects of combat, particularly ‘close combat’. The advantages traditionally associated with stand-off warfare – namely, the ability to inflict material and psychological harm while enjoying the relative safety of distance – are being incorporated into the ‘close fight’. The protection and self-diagnosis capabilities embedded within nano-suits, for instance, are moving in the direction of creating a ‘cocoon effect’ around individual soldiers."

"The cumulative reduction of risk and the introduction of additional options for both would likely make the use of military force more appealing, though it must be remembered that the advent of ‘non-lethal’ weaponry several decades ago did not succeed in doing so, in part because they were not cost-effective. In contrast, the further development of nano- and biotechnologies, and their union in various forms, will expand, due largely to their potential utility outside the defence industry."

"To the extent that the military applications of these technologies are realized, they will undermine the principal claims associated with the notion of ‘post-heroic’ warfare. Its chief characteristics have been described as a ‘culture of restraint’ (at least among western powers) typified by the pursuit of modest political purposes, as well as a desire to minimize casualties and avoid escalation. However, since the number of military interventions – which are clearly heroic in purpose if not in scope – began to rise after the Cold War, and some of the political aims of those interventions amounted to regime change, the supposed culture of restraint must, at the very least, be qualified. Further development and employment of the technologies discussed above will only increase the erosion of that culture, and likely lead to calls for more, not fewer, interventions, many of which will surely aim at regime change. Great national purposes are not gone: they have just taken on a different character."

"Similarly, the projected expansion of precision capabilities over the next decade or so will help further reduce casualties, as well as the possibility of lateral or vertical escalation. In the post-heroic era, putting 'boots on the ground' signalled commitment, a willingness to accept the political costs associated with friendly (and enemy) casualties and collateral damage. If such casualties and damage can be further reduced, then the political calculus that underpins strategy and the decision to intervene with military force will reverse itself. In other words, the political costs of not taking action, of not intervening, will come to outweigh those of intervening. The aim of 'zero permanent' casualties is an ideal that will never be realized, but it would not have to be for the risk–benefit calculus to reverse itself. All that would be necessary is for the casualties to continue to approach zero, which would lend increasing credibility to each successive argument for intervention."

"However, it is also likely that the temptation to use force in the pursuit of 'over-ambitious' goals will increase. Unfortunately, the limits of some of the newly emerging military applications will not be known for some time: their thresholds will have to be reached through trial and error. Thus, it may not be possible to know in advance what aims will qualify as 'over-ambitious', particularly if the new technologies result in a genuine expansion of capabilities as well as capacities. While it is impossible to say when these technologies will be deployed in meaningful numbers, it seems almost certain that it will happen before the issues raised have been satisfactorily addressed by scholars and practitioners."

"Great national purposes are not gone: they have just taken on a different character."

:thunk:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
my predictions for the coming few months is a strong decline of putins strength along with a sudden and skyrocketing uptick of his dangerousness levels

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Some people take everything as a sign of weakness If there's no death and bloodshed.

Barbarism never went away, it's simply restrained. The more civilized times aren't all that civilized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

OctaMurk posted:

killin a dozen of my pilots to own the libs

Mysteriously absent of wreckage

Best Friends posted:

there is a big difference between ‘living in terror’ and something being actually good. to take your example, Jan 6 was an actual, measurable drag on the republican party in the following midterms that they should have cleaned up in. I get saying that this is a decent outcome of a bad situation, sure. positioning this situation as an actual positive is, however, loving wild.

The most important thing Muscovites were concerned with was if there was a holiday on Monday or not.