Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Update: bedtime went great, but 15 minutes into naptime and monitor confirms she is not in fact in her bed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I forget when we finally decided to ditch the monitor but it was kind of nice being like "I don't know and I don't want to know. that was a loud bang but there's no crying."

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

that was a loud bang but there's no crying."

To me that's cause for even greater concern 😬

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Monitor camera is currently on the floor pointed at the ceiling, this is going great

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
My 5 year old at some point surreptitiously hid some McDonald's dipping sauces in her bed and must have been eating them in the middle of the night like she was Winnie the pooh because she made an absolute mess of it the other day. I may have to to put a baby monitor back in her room :shepface:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
i have a relative (sister-in-law's sister) whom I've met and by all accounts is a normal, loving, accepting adult. similarly her husband is a normal guy and shows no ill will or malice.

their teenaged daughter has convinced her therapist, friends and teachers that her parents are bigots who hate her for being non-cis and make her feel "unsafe" in her home.

the way they found out is during a parent teacher conference where they were given a bunch of literature on how to be accepting of children who are not cishet.

I guess what I'm saying is I hope my kids don't do this to me.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Went to the aquarium yesterday with both kids. Generally a success, the baby saw fishes and also his brother a lot, and the almost 6 year old got to feed both rays and archerfish, which literally meant getting spat on. Less cool: exit through the gift shop with very tired kid (who feel asleep in the metro on the way home). He was not ready for not buying stuff. Good capitalism move that I'm sure would have worked on my mom.

The baby is already preparing for escape artistry in his pram. It's good that I have a harness, because he is absolutely trying to get out.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

loquacius posted:

Monitor camera is currently on the floor pointed at the ceiling, this is going great

it's refreshing knowing other toddlers do this stuff, eventually the newness of a room to explore wears off and they'll sleep in the most comfy location

I know when toddler demon sleeps on the floor because he gets a face full of carpet imprint, it's really kind of funny

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yup she ended up napping on the nugget play couch thing we have in there, which cannot possibly be more comfortable than her bed but a nap is a nap is a nap

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Post-nap I can now verify that she was not sleeping in her bed because her stuffed monkey was using it (tucked in and everything)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
According to my wife it's a thing to cut the top off the door so even if you ditch the monitor you can still watch

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

loquacius posted:

Yup she ended up napping on the nugget play couch thing we have in there, which cannot possibly be more comfortable than her bed but a nap is a nap is a nap

Yo, my wife is getting our boy the nugget couch. Sounds like it is fit for purpose

Edit: ^^^ fuckin galaxy brain solution it is genius

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

HootTheOwl posted:

According to my wife it's a thing to cut the top off the door so even if you ditch the monitor you can still watch

We had something like this for the baby room at church when I was growing up. It's nice, you can hand things over and peek in.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
My server broke and the camera went out at about 6 months for kid 2 and I love it. I do NOT want to be obsessed with her every move (but we do miss out on some of the cuteness spying we had with kid 1). My rule is if they are in their room quiet they can be doing whatever, I just set them up for sleep and they can play or look at stuff or wander around. I'm a firm believer that they need space to figure out what works for them.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

AxGrap posted:

We had something like this for the baby room at church when I was growing up. It's nice, you can hand things over and peek in.

It's called a Dutch door. My grandparents house had one.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I mean they went to home depott of the 1980s and cut the top two or so feet off the cheapest door they could find.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

camp week is great, getting some good gaming in, but its weird being totally no-contact with your kid. hope she's doing well

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Panfilo posted:

My 5 year old at some point surreptitiously hid some McDonald's dipping sauces in her bed and must have been eating them in the middle of the night like she was Winnie the pooh because she made an absolute mess of it the other day. I may have to to put a baby monitor back in her room :shepface:

haha nice one kid

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

my wife is staying with her parents right now because her dad is terminally ill and I, once again, must stand in awe that there are parents who can do this solo all of the time. good god.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

we signed up the toddler to do soccer shots, i hope he has fun!!! more than that i hope it exhausts him lol

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

we signed up the toddler to do soccer shots, i hope he has fun!!! more than that i hope it exhausts him lol

I hope he absolutely dunks on all the other kids there and starts giving autographs

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
When my wife took my daughter to do that kind of thing the kid screamed the whole time and made such a huge scene my wife was too embarrassed to come back and do it again.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Woke Mind Virus posted:

I hope he absolutely dunks on all the other kids there and starts giving autographs
thank you, same

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Youtube compilations of trains just rolling down train tracks proving wildly popular tonight.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Infant girl is at the best infant age right now. I got a her in my lap, a Vintage Story long play on one monitor, a Hey Bear Sensory video on the other monitor.

My legs are up, her legs are up, she dropped her pacifier so I gave her my gold chain and she's just gumming on that. We are two blobs, just blobbing out on a Thursday evening.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The audio is going through my headphones. The background noise is from Sing 2 playing in the living room where my wife is pacifying my son into being a toddler blob. He keeps jumping, so I don't think she's doing too good at achieving blob.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

lobster shirt posted:

At one of these now. Kid was terrible last year but it def got him tired

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

nothing like a six month odl baby smiling the worlds biggest smile at you, disarmingly, before grabbing your beard and pulling as hard as possible

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Other parents with little babies "Oh man this is so much fun I love being a parent my kid is so cute"

Me with a couple of older kids: "No she can't borrow the jump rope she's just going to use it to garrote her sister with it until the sister lets go of the popsicle she stole and... Yes honey I'm getting up now to separate them I'll be right back"

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
We had some friends over for midsummer with their kids aged 3, 4 and 9. Ours are 2 and 4. We had pizza and the kids played for hours with barely any conflict. It was magical, sitting and being able to talk for once

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I appreciate Amazon recommending the Wild Kratts deep sea explorer movie this morning lol

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

nothing like a six month odl baby smiling the worlds biggest smile at you, disarmingly, before grabbing your beard and pulling as hard as possible

It was a big relief when my older kid grew out of doing that. You might have another 1-1.5 years to go though.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
My 2yo still does this except I don't have a beard, so he just grabs handfuls of my face and neck.

Nothing like dual horse bites to the face.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Gooey hand throat punch is another good one

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Wife thought I wasn't connecting enough with the baby, so today I held him for a two-hour nap while I played Zelda and she had to deal with our two-year-old throwing up everywhere, in closing it's working and I am in fact connecting with him more

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

loquacius posted:

Wife thought I wasn't connecting enough with the baby, so today I held him for a two-hour nap while I played Zelda and she had to deal with our two-year-old throwing up everywhere, in closing it's working and I am in fact connecting with him more

sounds like you need more connecting time

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

loquacius posted:

its called being a dad

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Mustached Demon posted:

Gooey hand throat punch is another good one

Haven't had a direct throat punch, but definitely taken blows to the carotid artery.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

loquacius posted:

Why has no one developed a game tracker that will detect when you're being slept on by a kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

loquacius posted:

sit baby on lap, put one of those nursing pillows around them and then tuck yourself into the desk with the baby snugly between your belly and the pillow, and go explore some dungeons. the first stage is you two doing some deep connecting while the pillow acts as a wrist and controller rest; the second stage is you not being able to move because the baby is doing some deep sleeping. my oldest was born around the time Skyrim came out and it was great to sit there with her in my lap while we did that

i am harry has issued a correction as of 05:46 on Jun 26, 2023