Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Ardennes posted:

Mysteriously absent of wreckage

guess fighterbomber was in on the psyop and made up the wreckage pics and shootdowns too then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i could see someone blowing a helicopter up as part of a psyop, but not killing pilots so real thing to look for is confirmation of those deaths but i don't know how you'd do that

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

OctaMurk posted:

guess fighterbomber was in on the psyop and made up the wreckage pics and shootdowns too then

A dozen pilots? It is possible an old helicopter or a prop plane got shot down, but you got to show proof otherwise.

Regarde Aduck posted:

i could see someone blowing a helicopter up as part of a psyop, but not killing pilots so real thing to look for is confirmation of those deaths but i don't know how you'd do that

I guess wait to see the funerals or anything comes out of it.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 18:37 on Jun 25, 2023

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

DancingShade posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOVQ0GC22Qs

Very accurate and extremely real footage of Russian tank in action. Yes its safe to watch.

Lmfao wtf

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Ardennes posted:

A dozen pilots?

five helicopters and one plane does add up to a dozen pilots, plus the people supposedly onboard the plane

i do agree that if the pilots are never identified, then it must have been a pretty elaborate coverup

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Best Friends posted:

I am no Russia expert but I thought a big part of the popularity and appeal of Putin was stability and increasing prosperity. If I have to pull over to let the mercenary convoy pass me as my family text chat is going nuts trying to figure out of a coup is in process, that would not make me feel particularly stable. obviously this thing could have gone worse, but the idea it’s actually good for Putin seems insane.

You're right in the broad sense but I think that, ironically, the failed coup makes Russia more stable, at least in the medium term. Prigozhin was the most credible threat to Putin's rule and he went all in on a gambit that no one else in Russia has the resources or balls to attempt. It failed spectacularly. Who else is there to plot a coup, especially considering they already passed on the first round?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

i'd just like to say the title is great, nice one whoever wrote the op

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
IMO the simplest explanation for the Prig episode is probably the correct one: a dude who has been high on his own bullshit for a long, long time, and who has vocally complained about the Kremlin's handling of the war, went off half-cocked before realizing that he didn't have nearly as much support as he thought he would. He quickly sued for peace to save his life but he's probably going to die because of it sooner rather than later. I guess we'll see if he's still alive a year from now or whatever, but I don't think these conspiracy theories about it being a Kremlin psyop make much sense. A failed CIA coup attempt makes a lot more sense tbh.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

OctaMurk posted:

five helicopters and one plane does add up to a dozen pilots, plus the people supposedly onboard the plane

i do agree that if the pilots are never identified, then it must have been a pretty elaborate coverup

And how much of that is confirmed btw? Because otherwise, it sounded like it came from a tweet.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 18:40 on Jun 25, 2023

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Assuming the bar for a CIA coup is just taking the money and not even trying to do it, then it does fit.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

Assuming the bar for a CIA coup is just taking the money and not even trying to do it, then it does fit.

He must half split half the money with the government.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Ardennes posted:

How much is that confirmed?

you can go to fighterbombers telegram and decide how much of it is real or not, but those were the total claims. guys supposedly tied into the russian air force

there is only a pictur of one mi-8 and one small transport plane. Not enough info to locate or date either tho

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
The issue with it being a CIA op is if Luka was also in on it or just happened to drop in and Prig got lucky.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

DesertIslandHermit posted:

The issue with it being a CIA op is if Luka was also in on it or just happened to drop in and Prig got lucky.

I think Luka was just a convenient proxy for Putin to not look like he was being too lenient on Prig.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

OctaMurk posted:

you can go to fighterbombers telegram and decide how much of it is real or not, but those were the total claims. guys supposedly tied into the russian air force

there is only a pictur of one mi-8 and one small transport plane. Not enough info to locate or date either tho

Does it make sense the Russians are losing all those aircraft and yet there are no causalities on the Wagner side and there is no ground fighting? Hey perhaps there as a gently caress up, but otherwise doesn’t the story not add up:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

have you considered that you simply cannot imagine the vitality of a man striving for a life of greatness?

https://twitter.com/witte_sergei/status/1672728303105630208?s=20

people are very poetic about those who do not wish to remain unscathed and unhurt.

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

prigozhin tried to rebel, realized it was a failure, and came back to work on Monday and pretends nothing ever happened.

"What, that? Are you kidding me? I didn't rebel. What, you took that seriously?"

Prigozhin is George Costanza.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Weka posted:

It's easy to criticize from the cheap seats. I think they are doing a very good job. Maybe in future if you don't have anything nice to say consider saying nothing.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

DancingShade posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOVQ0GC22Qs

Very accurate and extremely real footage of Russian tank in action. Yes its safe to watch.

Not enough explosions, better send more weapons to Ukraine.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Weka posted:

It's easy to criticize from the cheap seats. I think they are doing a very good job. Maybe in future if you don't have anything nice to say consider saying nothing.

ty, lotta Monday Morning quarterbacking itt.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Majorian posted:

IMO the simplest explanation for the Prig episode is probably the correct one: a dude who has been high on his own bullshit for a long, long time, and who has vocally complained about the Kremlin's handling of the war, went off half-cocked before realizing that he didn't have nearly as much support as he thought he would. He quickly sued for peace to save his life but he's probably going to die because of it sooner rather than later. I guess we'll see if he's still alive a year from now or whatever, but I don't think these conspiracy theories about it being a Kremlin psyop make much sense.

its this

Putin and the rest of the leadership goes along with placating him by allowing him a small wagner force to keep being a merc in Africa because it's a much less destructive option than actually fighting him in Moscow or allowing him to be a vocal political opponent. Prig is probably very happy with being allowed to keep Wagner and everyone else is pleased with taking him out of the war.

Majorian posted:

A failed CIA coup attempt makes a lot more sense tbh.

The collective response to this from the west as it happened was a collective :confused: and didnt at all seem like they had anything to do with it

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Vocal political opponents aren't a problem, and Prigozhin wasn't even an opponent.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
It can be very scary when Gork and Mork get into fights, but you have to realize it's all in good fun

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

zspam at it again with the cope

thats right

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

fanfic insert posted:

The collective response to this from the west as it happened was a collective :confused: and didnt at all seem like they had anything to do with it

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Lostconfused posted:

Vocal political opponents aren't a problem, and Prigozhin wasn't even an opponent.

I dont think anyone saw him as a threat just that its preferable to have him not shout "Shogiu is a [whatever]" over and over on telegram, not as much an opponent maybe and more of an Alex Jones type of annoyance

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

https://twitter.com/salisbot/status/1672368404743741442

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

fanfic insert posted:

I dont think anyone saw him as a threat just that its preferable to have him not shout "Shogiu is a [whatever]" over and over on telegram, not as much an opponent maybe and more of an Alex Jones type of annoyance

You're thinking of Strelkov.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

fanfic insert posted:

One of the fun common features among bungled CIA (and other intelligence) ops is that most of the rest of the government doesn't know anything about them until the op has been botched and it's all over. Not saying that's what happened here, of course - it's just a hypothesis, but we'll probably never know and it doesn't really matter at this point anyway.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Frosted Flake posted:

For instance, nanomaterials are being integrated into military vehicles to make them more resistant to penetration, yet lighter and more agile, which will increase their survivability against IEDs and anti-armour projectiles.
This sounds vaguely legit. Nanotech is being used in materials science. Most famously in the nano-thermite that Bush used to destroy the twin towers.

Frosted Flake posted:

Vehicle engines are being built with nanoscale structures attached that are capable of conducting self-diagnosis and self-repair. This, in turn, is expected to enhance reliability and allow for smaller logistical tails while extending operational range."

Frosted Flake posted:

Existing stand-off capabilities are also being augmented with nanoscale robotics that can perform reconnaissance, communications, and targeting missions, and can do so in combination with larger, macro-scale technologies such as drones and UAVs

Frosted Flake posted:

nano-computers

Frosted Flake posted:

The protection and self-diagnosis capabilities embedded within nano-suits, for instance, are moving in the direction of creating a ‘cocoon effect’ around individual soldiers."
This is all pure science fiction. The man is using nanotechnology like he's Hideo Kojima, as a sort of plot spackle.

Frosted Flake posted:

small-calibre munitions are being developed with MIRV-like capabilities that will enable single rounds to strike multiple targets simultaneously.
The Soviets already developed this technology during the Cold War. It was called Revolver Ocelot.

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Play Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. It explains everything.
Revengeance doesn't use nanomachines as stand-off weapons. It uses them in melee, which is even closer than rifle range.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The337th posted:

the invasion was unjustified and it needs to be done better

so what youre saying is that prigozhin is a liberal

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

He's a small business owner operating in a disadvantaged area and offering second chance employment opportunities for people with criminal records.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Ardennes posted:

America never recovered from Jan 6, most of the population still lives in terror as their country would implode any second.

Every once in a while I remember January 6 and chuckle sensibly but then I also remember there are people who are genuinely, deeply psychically damaged to this day by that utter non-event and it pisses me off

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Futanari Damacy posted:

Every once in a while I remember January 6 and chuckle sensibly but then I also remember there are people who are genuinely, deeply psychically damaged to this day by that utter non-event and it pisses me off

Yeah, but it is not by the event itself but a media that has been hammering it into their heads. It sounds like people in Russian itself are already on to other matters.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Can you imagine how the face of warfare would be forever changed if we had an army of rocketeers? Imagine the possibilities!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Can you imagine how the face of warfare would be forever changed if we had an army of rocketeers? Imagine the possibilities!

They fly now?!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

I enjoyed a post on English speaking pro-Russian tg yesterday where someone was like "Prigozhin's watch costs over 10000 dollars, how could he afford that without a cheque from the CIA?! Checkmate."

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/Stanovaya/status/1672991911538196482?s=20

She is the authority on this event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

tazjin posted:

I enjoyed a post on English speaking pro-Russian tg yesterday where someone was like "Prigozhin's watch costs over 10000 dollars, how could he afford that without a cheque from the CIA?! Checkmate."

he should post in the YLLS watch thread