Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I got a Ryzen 9 7950X3D recently and I decided to see if there would be any performance difference in the lategame (~10 pawns, ~10 robots, ~10 animals), coming from a i7 8700K. I notice really no difference.

Though CPU utilization caps out around 6% and I'm reporting ~100+ FPS, and around ~360 TPS, I notice a telltale familiar and obvious stutter at max speed. Most obvious when observing pawn movements, but also when just moving the camera around the map. This is something that has always bothered me when it kicks in. Even with rocketman.

Anyone have any experience with this, or in resolving this?

EDIT: Reducing the colony to having only one colonist set to do "Basic" tasks and only half set to fight fires has alleviated the issue in a pretty noticeable way. I guess the game is checking for those things constantly. Wish the system was either redesigned or warned you of this pitfall.

Whenever I see Tynan address player concerns about lategame performance issues he's usually saying something like "The game wasn't really intended to be played with more than six pawns."

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Each rimworld expansion completely obliterates the old power curve too

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Each rimworld expansion completely obliterates the old power curve too

I don't mind this as much since it's less severe and more... holistic I guess is the word? The DLCs really feel more put together as part of the whole game than even the bigger major game-changing mod. VS has lots of major system- and faction-adding mods that don't feel nearly as thought out as far as tuning.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Dorkopotamis posted:

Whenever I see Tynan address player concerns about lategame performance issues he's usually saying something like "The game wasn't really intended to be played with more than six pawns."
it's one of the dumber loving things he has ever said and he has continued to say it for like half a decade

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Is slavery just basically trash? Productively I mean. Previously I’ve always made ideologies that considered slavery abhorrent, but I decided to try something a little different and do a run as a slave-owning faction. I started with just two pawns, a sanguophage and a regular person (who by chance was incapable of violence), and enslaved the next few people who showed up since I needed farmhands, haulers and the like. Despite some cripplingly slow progress caused by diseases and other disasters, I ended up with about five slave pawns and I was beginning to get somewhere. But I quickly found that raids on my colony were getting way too heavy for my vampire to handle alone. Admittedly part of that was that my one other free colonist was a pacifist, but even with the two of them I doubt they could have held out. Having five members of my colony who were adding to my colony wealth while being entirely unable to be armed without causing a revolt felt less like shooting myself in the foot and more like blowing my leg off with TNT.

I came to the conclusion, staring at the ashes of my former town, that slavery is more harm than good, a few hours extra without recreation and lower bedroom demands seem just not worth it compared to a colonist who can pick up a gun and shoot enemies instead of you. I guess if the person is unwavering and they have great stats, but outside that one situation?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Slavery is okay at best if you go all in on it, like I've had pretty okay results w
Assigning a slave to deal with all the stone and slag I accrue, or i had a quarry mod worked by a couple of jerks, but even then you need slave clothing and guards set to suppress. Slavery is kinda pants, they're worth more dusassembled

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Rimworld: Abolish slavery, sell organs

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I don't think it's supposed to be unambiguously efficient, it's just supposed to be a minigame that lets you model slavery for story purposes, have it be eventful and somewhat gameable if you lean into it (i.e. take the Ideology constraints like Slaves: Required or whatever). Not that mood is hard to manage otherwise even on high difficulty.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Reveilled posted:

Is slavery just basically trash? Productively I mean. Previously I’ve always made ideologies that considered slavery abhorrent, but I decided to try something a little different and do a run as a slave-owning faction. I started with just two pawns, a sanguophage and a regular person (who by chance was incapable of violence), and enslaved the next few people who showed up since I needed farmhands, haulers and the like. Despite some cripplingly slow progress caused by diseases and other disasters, I ended up with about five slave pawns and I was beginning to get somewhere. But I quickly found that raids on my colony were getting way too heavy for my vampire to handle alone. Admittedly part of that was that my one other free colonist was a pacifist, but even with the two of them I doubt they could have held out. Having five members of my colony who were adding to my colony wealth while being entirely unable to be armed without causing a revolt felt less like shooting myself in the foot and more like blowing my leg off with TNT.

I came to the conclusion, staring at the ashes of my former town, that slavery is more harm than good, a few hours extra without recreation and lower bedroom demands seem just not worth it compared to a colonist who can pick up a gun and shoot enemies instead of you. I guess if the person is unwavering and they have great stats, but outside that one situation?

No way, slavery is very strong. Slaves are worth less than other pawns in terms of colony wealth, they have most of the benefits of a normal pawn with very little downside. It sounds like you had a very low ratio of colonists to slaves, I tend to have many more colonists than slaves if I have any at all; maybe 3:1 for a small colony, maybe 5:1 or even 10:1 for a much larger one.

You should be drafting slaves for combat. Put them in a slave collar and a slave body strap and you basically eliminate the chance of slave rebellions happening, then you can give them real weapons just during raids and it'll be fine. Colonists don't care as much if a slave dies and the slave mood bonus and complete lack of recreation bar make it less likely that they'll have a mental break during combat, so as a front-line combatant it's pretty much all upside. Just keep them unarmed most of the time, have them grab a melee weapon when a raid notification occurs. That said, I still don't enslave people who are good at combat

On the work side of things, slavery overrides work restrictions, so a pawn that would be incapable of Dumb Labor is suddenly capable of Dumb Labor if they become enslaved; sometimes that's very useful. Slaves have a global work penalty but they also have no need for recreation, which balances out - and if they're just a hauler then it's all upside. They have much lower expectations, so that means fewer mental breaks. Give them a nuclear stomach and a circadian half-cycler and they become a perfect low-skill worker, like a robot but better in most ways. They're great for the crap jobs that you probably don't want to give to other pawns; cleaning, hauling, cutting stone bricks, stuff like that. Or if you find a really excellent Construction pawn who happens to be impossible to recruit, then enslaving them is a good alternative

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

slave revolts are basically a nonissue if you garb someone in slave apparel and make a small room as a dedicated armory, which is something i tend to do regardless because it's super annoying to try to find the chain shotgun you want in a big warehouse room. if you do that, they are an easier way to get the Lifter and Cleansweeper bots that you would otherwise need a mechanitor and a method of toxic waste disposal for, plus they can do time-consuming scut work that you don't want normal pawns doing, like danaru calling out stone and slag processing. you can also use slaves to tend to garluean trees or however you spell that poo poo. those trees require an absurd amount of time to keep pruned, but slave time is pretty valueless. in return you can have the dryads doing whatever, if you're into that sort of thing.

if you look at it that way, slavery is kinda great. having early dedicated haulers and cleaners that you only have to upkeep with a crappy barracks and some nutrient paste is pretty helpful. but its value prop wanes a bit as you go on. bots are just better by mid game unless you start gene modding your slaves. but if you are willing to gene mod your slaves, they're suddenly a shitload stronger again. for slaves you don't care about awful shooting, awful melee, psychically deaf, and way more, right. so you can load them up on a billion defects to have very fast runner, genetic joy, dead calm, never sleep, and still have max metabolic efficiency so you don't even feed them that much.

all in all if i was going full power gamer i'd basically cultivate a gene-modded slave caste to do all the lovely scut work and use the mechanitor bandwidth i have for combat bots, especially scythers.

but in practice by the time you are late game and are able to do things like waste atomizers, there's a lot of ways to pick apart the super-heavy mech waves that come at you. bots are less faff than slaves. you needn't have it be an either or though.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 25, 2023

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Slavery is very strong in the early game, where you can grab practically anyone and have them doing dumb labor for you in a matter of days, at a point where you're probably swamped with more work than you have pawns to do it. Around mid-game it's probably a wash because you have most of your infrastructure built so there's less to do, but you have to deal with the possibility of escape attempts regardless. Late-game it either doesn't matter because you're living up the post-scarcity lifestyle and doing it for fun, or you've highly specialized into it with implants and gene-mods to do things like meat beacons and 24/7 anima tree meditation.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Slavery is a straight up buff for pawns that are going to be dedicated haulers/cleaners. Even in an early base you want someone doing that stuff, it's really valuable.

The need for dedicated hauling/cleaning also makes children extremely good, since they have no skills anyway (although I'll often grab a skilltrainer for whatever their first double-passion is)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah hauling especially is something that imho you can never have enough of until you are at least 3/4ths the way through your tech tree. like if nothing else you can be pulling all the rock chunks and steel slag out of the random areas of the map and depositing them near your base for later. that task is going to happen at some point, you might as well do the task with someone that doesn't matter.

i'll frequently go so far as just rotating slaves if they are interchangeable. like i'm playing tribals, and i pick up 2 slaves. i have an opportunity to get a third slave, so i'll just look at which slave i've had longer and is therefore closer to a slave rebellion, and just straight out emancipate the most dangerous slave and enslave the new guy. gently caress it. i don't care.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
Welp, my current Rimworld game is currently crashing more frequently than it autosaves.

I can use Character Editor to keep my favourite characters, but manually adding each technology as a scenario rule would be a chore.
Is there a way to save all the technologies I've researched and New Game Plus it?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tesla was right posted:

Welp, my current Rimworld game is currently crashing more frequently than it autosaves.

I can use Character Editor to keep my favourite characters, but manually adding each technology as a scenario rule would be a chore.
Is there a way to save all the technologies I've researched and New Game Plus it?

You could just open dev mode in your new game and unlock them in the research tree. Much quicker and easier than faffing about in scenario rules.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah you can just enable god mode and take the techs you needed.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Coolguye posted:

slave revolts are basically a nonissue if you garb someone in slave apparel and make a small room as a dedicated armory, which is something i tend to do regardless because it's super annoying to try to find the chain shotgun you want in a big warehouse room. if you do that, they are an easier way to get the Lifter and Cleansweeper bots that you would otherwise need a mechanitor and a method of toxic waste disposal for, plus they can do time-consuming scut work that you don't want normal pawns doing, like danaru calling out stone and slag processing. you can also use slaves to tend to garluean trees or however you spell that poo poo. those trees require an absurd amount of time to keep pruned, but slave time is pretty valueless. in return you can have the dryads doing whatever, if you're into that sort of thing.

if you look at it that way, slavery is kinda great. having early dedicated haulers and cleaners that you only have to upkeep with a crappy barracks and some nutrient paste is pretty helpful. but its value prop wanes a bit as you go on. bots are just better by mid game unless you start gene modding your slaves. but if you are willing to gene mod your slaves, they're suddenly a shitload stronger again. for slaves you don't care about awful shooting, awful melee, psychically deaf, and way more, right. so you can load them up on a billion defects to have very fast runner, genetic joy, dead calm, never sleep, and still have max metabolic efficiency so you don't even feed them that much.

all in all if i was going full power gamer i'd basically cultivate a gene-modded slave caste to do all the lovely scut work and use the mechanitor bandwidth i have for combat bots, especially scythers.

but in practice by the time you are late game and are able to do things like waste atomizers, there's a lot of ways to pick apart the super-heavy mech waves that come at you. bots are less faff than slaves. you needn't have it be an either or though.

it's reductive but tbf this reads a lot like "slavery does suck unless you buy additional DLC and/or use mods to make it suck less" but I don't even own Ideology to test that theory

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i mean if you like rimworld you're probably gonna go all-in with the dlc. the core conceit of "have slaves do the time-consuming poo poo that doesn't need skill" still holds true even if you don't have royalty and biotech, though. you'll always need bricks.

i don't think anything in the post relates to mods, but i may have missed something.

still don't really like slave colonies though. i'd just rather have a full pawn in most cases - i go for big colonies and at the end of the day they all contribute the same to pathfinding slowdown

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

silentsnack posted:

it's reductive but tbf this reads a lot like "slavery does suck unless you buy additional DLC and/or use mods to make it suck less" but I don't even own Ideology to test that theory

Only one of their points used additional DLC, and that was for creating obscene super-slaves with genetic modification. Normal slaves are very good without that

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
Is there any way to call your allies to a tile that isn't your home tile (mod or otherwise)? Like, when you're assaulting an enemy base? Would love to handle city assaults with an actual coalition of local forces

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The Velvet Witch posted:

Is there any way to call your allies to a tile that isn't your home tile (mod or otherwise)? Like, when you're assaulting an enemy base? Would love to handle city assaults with an actual coalition of local forces

Royal permits can let you call in Empire fighting squads. And VFE Pirates adds a mercenary faction that lets you hire mercenaries for a set period of time.

isndl
May 2, 2012

silentsnack posted:

Bots and gene-modding are from the same DLC there's no problem. You already have Ideology if you have slavery, Royalty doesn't really impact the slavery calculus beyond being able to sell them for honor and psycasting shenanigans. Putting a circadian half-cycler in your slaves can be useful though, reduced consciousness lowers escape attempts and a brain implant means any EMP weapon will instantly knock them out safely.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I remember there was a bug for awhile where Enslavement was the fastest way to recruit new colonists
1. Enslave prisoner
2. Prisoner gets auto-assigned to your faction
3. Emancipate slave
4. Emancipated slave immediately joins colony

idk if it still works but it was pretty funny trying it out ages ago

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

I remember there was a bug for awhile where Enslavement was the fastest way to recruit new colonists
1. Enslave prisoner
2. Prisoner gets auto-assigned to your faction
3. Emancipate slave
4. Emancipated slave immediately joins colony

idk if it still works but it was pretty funny trying it out ages ago

That was the way that let you bypass 'unwaveringly loyal' on prisoners to get them to join

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah the main alternative to slaves for increasing the amount of labor done in a day is bots. those are not available without biotech, which is also where the gene mod stuff comes in.

for the record no, the only mods i use are convenience or informational things. my current mod list is "replace stuff" and "what's for sale?". i haven't installed VE outposts yet because i don't imminently have the need for it.

the slave clothing stuff comes from ideology, which you need to have slaves in the first place.

e: wait sorry i also have animal biosculpter because i am a gigantic loving softie and when the colony's husky started getting old i got super loving mad i couldn't turn back the clock on her age

The Velvet Witch posted:

you might try bringing enough supplies to build a solar panel and comm panel to see if that would let you call in for "immediate military aid" but i'm gonna be honest i'm not super hopeful

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 25, 2023

isndl
May 2, 2012
Royalty permits would let you call in Empire troops pretty easily. Trying to call in multiple factions gets messy because sometimes they are hostile to each other even if they're allied with you.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I remember getting raided once by two factions that hated each other, neither raid made it to my base because they both brokenthe others' forces :v:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Coolguye posted:

e: wait sorry i also have animal biosculpter because i am a gigantic loving softie and when the colony's husky started getting old i got super loving mad i couldn't turn back the clock on her age

absolutely nothing wrong with this.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
It's still a 'modless' run if you add a mod that clearly should have been in the base game. What the hell Tynan my dog deserves immortality more than anyone else

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

all of the handcuffs that are already built into the whole biosculptor mechanics anyway, I think it's ok if I don't have to bury my video game dog.
e: can you post a link for that mod, I'd like to use it and I can't find it

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

If you can build bionic spines and hearts and successfully install them into a dozen colonists then I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do that for a dog. Likewise for biosculpting, like why shouldn't you be able to put a dog in there

e: a transhumanism cult should be super into creating cyberdogs and using biosculpting pods on pets

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I need a link to this mod

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

If you can build bionic spines and hearts and successfully install them into a dozen colonists then I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do that for a dog. Likewise for biosculpting, like why shouldn't you be able to put a dog in there

e: a transhumanism cult should be super into creating cyberdogs and using biosculpting pods on pets
Transcaninism.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."

Coolguye posted:

you might try bringing enough supplies to build a solar panel and comm panel to see if that would let you call in for "immediate military aid" but i'm gonna be honest i'm not super hopeful

Oh yeah i tried that one and it didnt work unfortunately (there's a small comms panel mod that *also* Does Not let you call in allies if you arent on your home tile). I see people are talking about empire troops but I kinda just wanna call in the tribals that I have like 6-7 treaties with lmao

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

all of the handcuffs that are already built into the whole biosculptor mechanics anyway, I think it's ok if I don't have to bury my video game dog.
e: can you post a link for that mod, I'd like to use it and I can't find it

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2883571601

be warned that basically the only thing that works is the age reversal treatment. to quote the mod page:

quote:

- Medic and bioregeneration cycles don't actually have any effect on animals, as their negative hediffs aren't recognised, and I have yet to figure out why. The game will warn you up front that they wouldn't do anything, as per usual.
- Pleasure cycles are disabled for pawns without a mood bar, which includes animals.

in my husky's case i had to blow a healer mech injection because she had already developed dementia when i realized what was going on.

yes this was required

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
TYNAN IF I WANT TO SEND MY DOG TROUGH THE PARTY CYCLE I SHOULD BE ABLE TO gently caress YOUR VISION

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
sorry I got really heated I'm just upset

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Thanks for this
e: BiolsculptEr vs BiosculptOr :doh:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 26, 2023

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Danaru posted:

TYNAN IF I WANT TO SEND MY DOG TROUGH THE PARTY CYCLE I SHOULD BE ABLE TO gently caress YOUR VISION

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the lack of pleasure cycle makes sense. if you want to give a dog an unbridled sense of joy in life, you don't need special machinery