Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Beeftweeter posted:

technically it's mirror t'pol but she does trick tucker into thinking they banged with a mind meld

Imma gonna give the mirror universe episodes a pass on going over the top of good taste and decorum because they're mirror universe episodes (and they didn't do one a season like DS9 to make the concept stale)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

davidspackage posted:

More likely he thought "oh poo poo he knows"

'Oh gently caress, which one did he find out about'

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Admiralty Flag posted:

Imma gonna give the mirror universe episodes a pass on going over the top of good taste and decorum because they're mirror universe episodes (and they didn't do one a season like DS9 to make the concept stale)

I wonder if Strange New Worlds or Lower Decks is going to do a Mirror Universe episode at some point

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Would show impressive restraint if not

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The episode will be called "Mirror Imperfect" and it'll be a parallel future of the Mirror Universe

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Gaz-L posted:

More seriously, I thought she stopped appearing after the one where the Flyer gets stuck under ice or something? There's a subplot where she's injured and apparently one draft had her die, and they... just forgot they changed that in the shooting script?

On our first watch through my girlfriend and I were 100% convinced she was dead and that was why Naomi was always buzzing around and annoying the crew but neither of us could remember it happening.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
If I remember correctly during the run of Enterprise they're at first like "once every 7 years", then "nerds from the pro-emotion sect are working on speeding that up some" and at the end they're like "oh Vulcan women can bang as long as it is logical".

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sometimes you can just disappear from events for years at a time on Voyager if you pass into an out-of-focus anomaly, like poor Lieutenant Carrey who escaped one just in time to die

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Brawnfire posted:

The episode will be called "Mirror Imperfect" and it'll be a parallel future of the Mirror Universe

I want to see a Lower Decks episode titled "Future Pluperfect"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Lower Decks is actually in the mirror universe.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

thotsky posted:

If I remember correctly during the run of Enterprise they're at first like "once every 7 years", then "nerds from the pro-emotion sect are working on speeding that up some" and at the end they're like "oh Vulcan women can bang as long as it is logical".

Vulcan men have a 7 year refractory period. :v:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Vulcans ascribe to the Al/Peggy Bundy model of procreation.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Personally I'd question if bottling up all your emotions until they're inevitably released once every seven years in a binge of unhinged sex, violence and sexual violence is really that logical

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Sash! posted:

You've been using "they" neutrally for so long that you don't even realize that you do it.

Like you see some moron driving like an rear end in a top hat and you say "look at this idiot, they're all over the road."

Although this is true, it misses the very important point that this is the anonymous gender-neutral pronoun. You don’t know who that moron driver is, so you don’t know which gendered pronoun to use, so you default to “they”. As soon as you know who they are, however, you immediately switch to using their actual pronoun.

Referring to a specific person by a gender-neutral pronoun is a relatively recent thing, especially since widespread understanding and acceptance of non-binary genders is still relatively recent.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

No Dignity posted:

Personally I'd question if bottling up all your emotions until they're inevitably released once every seven years in a binge of unhinged sex, violence and sexual violence is really that logical

I don't think it was meant to be because of the bottling up, they just go into heat because of biology. (Although the Romulans not seeming to have it might imply that it is because of the bottling up, but they lost telepathy as well so there's been some evolutionary drift that could be responsible for them not having it)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

No Dignity posted:

I mean, you can get a good amount of work done in those seven years.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Just started “The Big Goodbye”. Watching Picard nerd out to his command staff about the holodeck upgrades is very endearing. Starfleet are such square-rear end geeks, even the most dignified of them.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.

MikeJF posted:

I don't think it was meant to be because of the bottling up, they just go into heat because of biology. (Although the Romulans not seeming to have it might imply that it is because of the bottling up, but they lost telepathy as well so there's been some evolutionary drift that could be responsible for them not having it)

I always had a hard time believing nobody has invented some way to stop or delay it, especially since it's so embarrassing to them that they keep it secret. I just can't imagine a society that would get so advanced and yet not have figured out how to combat hormones.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

I always had a hard time believing nobody has invented some way to stop or delay it, especially since it's so embarrassing to them that they keep it secret. I just can't imagine a society that would get so advanced and yet not have figured out how to combat hormones.

The Vulcan high command wanted to hold humanity back because they had bicalutamide

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
What in the saucer-separating gently caress? If a holodeck hard reboots with living occupants inside, they dematerialize? That’s…an OSHA violation, at least.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Marsupial Ape posted:

Just started “The Big Goodbye”. Watching Picard nerd out to his command staff about the holodeck upgrades is very endearing. Starfleet are such square-rear end geeks, even the most dignified of them.

I liked how that was the moment it became obvious B'Elanna would be chief engineer in "Parallax," when she was able to nerd out about the WARP PARTICLES with Janeway in a way Carey couldn't or wouldn't - the idea that the chief engineer needs to be able to work with the captain and challenge each other on big important projects, not just be a cog in the machine.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.

No Dignity posted:

The Vulcan high command wanted to hold humanity back because they had bicalutamide

I didn't watch whichever series that happened in so I have no idea what you're referring to :shobon:

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Just finished “Datalore”. Lore really has always been that arch.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Marsupial Ape posted:

What in the saucer-separating gently caress? If a holodeck hard reboots with living occupants inside, they dematerialize? That’s…an OSHA violation, at least.

Holodecks are self cleaning in almost the exact same way ovens are self cleaning. The, ahem, "sweep for baryons" is hard coded into the startup routine.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

8one6 posted:

Holodecks

:tinfoil: Computer end program?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

I didn't watch whichever series that happened in so I have no idea what you're referring to :shobon:

Don't worry it's just a stupid hormone joke

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

CPColin posted:

:tinfoil: Computer end program?

When does it become the arch? In season one, it is just ‘door’. Speaking of which, I really appreciate that Beverly Crusher is cautious unto paranoia concerning headaches, but just hand waves the fact the holodeck’s door is acting nuts. I wouldn’t go in Kroger if the doors were being that spooky.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I think you can just ask for the arch and that has the control panel on it, so you can access that without having the door there aswell?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Boxturret posted:

I think you can just ask for the arch and that has the control panel on it, so you can access that without having the door there aswell?

The holodeck had glitched and not responding to commands. The first iteration of the holodeck had no integrated arch. Personally, I like it just being the door. I get “good seasons of Westworld” vibes from it.

Also, just started “Angel One”. I can already see this is going to be weird.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
yeah, "arch" is distinct from "door" — you can see this in "elementary, my dear data" when moriarity specifically calls for the arch, and it shows up sans door

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I am howling at the Cardassian reinterpretation of "The Boy Who Cried Wolf": Never tell the same lie twice. Fantastic. No notes.

As I've been watching the end of Season 3 and start of Season 4 I've turned my Twitter into a conservative news feed reporting on events happening at Deep Space 9. There's so much good material to work with and a Federation Tucker Carlson would have an incredibly easy time making the crew of DS9 look awful. I could easily imagine them losing their minds over Captain "Sicko's" many attempts to groom alien children and to indoctrinate them into joining Star Fleet resulting in cultural clashes with Bajorans and Ferengi.

Meanwhile a perverse time-clone has full control over the life support systems of the station. Truly dark days for the Federation.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Atlas Hugged posted:

As I've been watching the end of Season 3 and start of Season 4 I've turned my Twitter into a conservative news feed reporting on events happening at Deep Space 9. There's so much good material to work with and a Federation Tucker Carlson would have an incredibly easy time making the crew of DS9 look awful. I could easily imagine them losing their minds over Captain "Sicko's" many attempts to groom alien children and to indoctrinate them into joining Star Fleet resulting in cultural clashes with Bajorans and Ferengi.

https://twitter.com/realGulDukat/status/1670175115546611715

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

DaveWoo posted:

I'm up to the beginning of Season 4 in my first-time DS9 watch, and I have to say, that season gets off to an extremely strong start in its first two episodes.

Way of the Warrior is a top tier two parter and its almost a DS9 movie for how perfect it sets the tone of show from here on.

It is weird how excellent of a character Worf is, he elevates every show he's on, even picard season 3 where Rafi actually has a good relationship for once in her life.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
“11001001” is the first I have seen any arch like, recessed entrance to the holodeck. Just so we all know.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Goddamn "Deadlock" starts off way, way darker than I remember. I know it's all gonna get reset back to normal by the end of the show, I know it will, but this would be goddamn terrifying otherwise.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Arivia posted:

Goddamn "Deadlock" starts off way, way darker than I remember. I know it's all gonna get reset back to normal by the end of the show, I know it will, but this would be goddamn terrifying otherwise.

that's one of my main complaints about voyager, pretty much nothing is permanent and everything always resets at the end of the episode (or second part, at most). i get that it was basically necessary due to syndication but it makes everything feel low stakes even if they're established to be comically high

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

that's one of my main complaints about voyager, pretty much nothing is permanent and everything always resets at the end of the episode (or second part, at most). i get that it was basically necessary due to syndication but it makes everything feel low stakes even if they're established to be comically high

I have to disagree with that. There's far more serialization than there was in TNG (far less than in DS9). I know that everything ends up hunky-dory at the end of "Deadlock" because I watched it on first airing as a kid, but it's Ensign Wildman giving birth, it's taking place in the middle of a giant arc about Voyager facing off against Seska and the Kazon, and there's actually a fair number of balls in the air with ongoing plotlines, character developments, and so on. At least right now, in the back half of S2, it's a surprisingly serial show on rewatch.

e: also Voyager wasn't syndicated for first airing, it was always on UPN, which likely helped a bunch (as well as DS9 kind of showing what could be done).

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just finished the Kira/Dukat episode early in Season 4 and... I dunno, this kinder, gentler version of Dukat isn't really working for me.

Edit: Just started the next episode - I think I remember there being a fair bit of controversy when this one first aired.

DaveWoo fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 26, 2023

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Anyone else ever noticed that for a peaceful, cooperative organization that promotes peace and enlightenment, the Federation sure is in and wins a lot of wars and military operations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Atlas Hugged posted:

Anyone else ever noticed that for a peaceful, cooperative organization that promotes peace and enlightenment, the Federation sure is in and wins a lot of wars and military operations?

It’s a show written by Americans for an American audience.