Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
imagining elmer fudd saying way twacing and laughing my rear end off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i keep thinking there are more guys coming in to sneak up on me but it's just my own shadow and the clattering sound of the dead bodies i'm kicking around

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Weedle posted:

i keep thinking there are more guys coming in to sneak up on me but it's just my own shadow and the clattering sound of the dead bodies i'm kicking around

This happened to me a couple times. I think I hear some footsteps, but no it's just some guy's head rolling down the stairs

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Just to clarify my earlier post: Trepang2 is loving amazing and, for a small team, looks absolutely incredible. I think playing too many Build engine games has made me a stickler for good shadow sourcing

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Finished the System Shock remake this morning and it's nuts to me how much better designed a game that's nearly thirty years old is compared to most AAA stuff nowadays (I know they made some changes and the final boss still stinks). Was a lot of fun getting a lost in a game because I missed something and having to write down codes and poo poo. Makes me really want for more sci-fi dungeon crawls.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Groovelord Neato posted:

Was a lot of fun getting a lost in a game because I missed something and having to write down codes and poo poo. Makes me really want for more sci-fi dungeon crawls.

Yeah it was kind of cool to be engaged with a game on that level again. I was on the verge of completing it when Steam rolled out its UI update that included a Steam Overlay notepad feature, which would have been perfect for this game; had to keep all of my notes in Windows Notepad like a chump.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Weedle posted:

This happened to me with something recently. It might have been boltgun, idk

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah it was kind of cool to be engaged with a game on that level again. I was on the verge of completing it when Steam rolled out its UI update that included a Steam Overlay notepad feature, which would have been perfect for this game; had to keep all of my notes in Windows Notepad like a chump.

I was using an actual little notepad on my desk haha

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Milo and POTUS posted:

This happened to me with something recently. It might have been boltgun, idk

Since we're talking about it, was it System Shock? Before a recent update, corpses would sort of...reanimate...whenever you went back into an area. It's like their corpses started in an upright posed state and then ragdolled every single time the game reloaded them.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Since we're talking about it, was it System Shock? Before a recent update, corpses would sort of...reanimate...whenever you went back into an area. It's like their corpses started in an upright posed state and then ragdolled every single time the game reloaded them.

That it was. Pretty sure I wasted more than one bullet shooting a dead body

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Nah I'm not big on fps rpgs or imsims or whatever they're called. Actually I think it was viscerafest. You'd move around and boot a head across the room and I'd put the crosshair on it for a sec because I saw movement.

Is anyone here a selaco backer? I'm just wondering if the new demo content has dropped yet and how it is. I assume someone would have said something already if it had

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children
New demo content hasn't dropped yet but they've started internal testing.

It will be a backer-only update though.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Supplice ep 2 incoming...
https://twitter.com/SuppliceGame/status/1672683014541680641

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Angry_Ed posted:

That it was. Pretty sure I wasted more than one bullet shooting a dead body

I accidentally killed a gor-tiger on a gravshaft, which means its corpse is hovering in midair undulating menacingly, and every time I re-enter the room I shoot it.

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009
Is there anything I should know before starting the System Shock remake? I’ve never played the original and only a tiny bit of SS2.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Bishop Beo posted:

Is there anything I should know before starting the System Shock remake? I’ve never played the original and only a tiny bit of SS2.

You can vaporize stuff for scrap to turn into credits, but don't waste your time picking up every piece of trash you find. It's tedious and not worth the effort when later enemies start dropping more valuable stuff.

If you see a shiny red number on a screen somewhere, write it down and note which floor you saw it.

There are secret walls that you can open by rightclicking

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Bishop Beo posted:

Avoid doing what I did and selecting Mission difficulty "3" because it will impose a 10-hour time limit on finishing the game!

I'm not sure if there's a relationship between the security rating and respawn rates for each deck, but still focus on knocking out every security camera and CPU node you come across to lower the security rating on each deck--certain things (like unlocking doors) depend on sufficiently lowering the security level for that map. Security cameras don't seem to do actually DO anything though (unlike SS2); I was able to just stand in front of one and it chirped at me and that was about it.

Don't fret too much about ammo availability; even on the highest difficulty level, the game really isn't too stingy about providing you with resources.

Keep your eyes peeled for cyber modules--little glowy techno-doodads scattered across the maps--since they're tiny and really easy to miss in the busy backgrounds. They will enhance you and give you various abilities, like being able to jump further (critical for reaching certain areas), protect you from hazardous areas (important for exploring radioactive and biohazard spaces), etc. Most (or all?) modules have multiple levels to them. Most (or all?) modules have multiple copies across the game, so if you miss one you might find another elsewhere.

I don't know about the easiest difficulties but at higher levels the game absolutely won't handhold or steer you with waypoints, so pay attention to the audio logs you find, keep notes, and think about what you need to do next.

Arvid
Oct 9, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIgQV4ClmQ0

Haven´t seen this posted in this thread, this is one of the greatest ways I have seen to play Doom yet.
Just looking over this thing quickly I didn´t see any specifics on how you actually get the video signal from the computer to the TV?
I have several teletext capable TV´s and would love to try this myself.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Bishop Beo posted:

I've only played the non-remake, but to add on to what Cream-of-plenty said, default 2's on difficulty is fine. Upping combat and puzzles to 3 is to personal taste, adjust cyberspace up/down after your first few hacks, and don't touch the plot dial. The game features unguided exploration and respawning enemies, but don't get anxious as generally there's some renewable solution nearby, or even player respawning. Just wander around and pay attention to any plot crumbs that you're given.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

So I've been working my way through some of the FPS demos in next fest and I'm just stuck on the boss fight in Beyond Sunset. Like I know what to do but it feels like I'm just too sluggish or there's very little room for error for this boss and the furthest I got was halfway through its health bar and this is only on the middle difficulty.

Huge amount of Doom Eternal influence going on here. It feels like it has the same problem the Shadow Warrior reboots did though with placing a lot of emphasis on the sword but guns are just more efficient.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

my thoughts on FPS demos so far: Kvlt mediocre, Captain Wayne fun but weird level design, Deadlink just OK, Echo Point Nova fine but could use improvement

still got Luna Abyss, MEAT II, and Zortch (which isn't part of Next Fest but the game just came out and there is a demo so heck, I installed it)

e: also Fortune's Run which has had a demo for a while but got that update last week

e: e: MEAT II was not very good. Zortch whips

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 25, 2023

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
I was watching one of these dogshit Youtube Shorts -

Fun Facts About DOOM That Maybe You Don't Know...

They were talking about how Doom 2's final boss was just kinda thrown together at the end because they were against deadlines and had to get something out the door.
(I'll admit, Icon of Sin was a copout. Modelling a new boss to outdo the Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind was a tall order, so I can see how they went with more of a 'puzzle' boss, but it feels like the Icon of Sin room should have been a "climax area" at the end of several other set pieces.)

Thing is, Id was less than ten man indie shop with two major hits. They were self-published shareware devs who could set their own timetables for their other games.
Who set these deadlines? GT interactive - their publisher for the retail release? They're just rushing to produce a game that was conceived to be a 'tide people over' game while John Carmack worked on Quake, and even then they had to release Final Doom, Ultimate Doom, and Master Levels.

Carmack was saying in that Lex Friedman interview that 2.5 years between Doom 1 and Quake was too much for a small company. Quake was too ambitious including a renderer, Quake C scripting, full on TCP/IP networking with servers and clients, and that Doom 2 should have been a step between Doom 1 and Quake, with Quake's scripting, a hubworld, client/server networking, but still using something that's more or less the Doom engine.

In other news... got to play catacomb 3d on dosbox. Well it's a nice tech demo. These were the Softdisk games, right? You can see the same menuing system as the Keens. No one expected full commercial games from a subscription service.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hynUBhvXhY

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Coffee Jones posted:

Who set these deadlines? GT interactive - their publisher for the retail release?
I'd assume GT. They probably wanted it in stores in advance of the holiday shopping season. DOOM II was explicitly the "commercial" release too.

DOOM became super big in 1994. It was selling PCs in stores, but the only "DOOM" most stores were selling was the $9.95 shareware version from which id wasn't seeing a cent. Now, for an independent developer with low publishing overheads I'm sure they made out plenty well from sales of the mail-order version, but by late '94 they were certainly aware of the sales potential of a commercial release and so there was good pressure to do it.

Coffee Jones posted:

Doom 2 should have been a step between Doom 1 and Quake, with Quake's scripting, a hubworld, client/server networking, but still using something that's more or less the Doom engine.
That's basically what Hexen ended up delivering in 1995.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jun 26, 2023

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yeah it's important to remember that Id software was following their pattern of success with releasing a "shareware + mail order the full version" game, and then partnering with a publisher for a retail sequel:

Wolfenstein (shareware + mail order)
Spear of Destiny (retail)
Doom (shareware + mail order)
Doom II (retail)
Quake (shareware + weird cd instantly unlock the full game when you order over the phone thing)
Quake II (retail)

So when doing a retail sequel they were just as beholden to a publisher and publisher deadlines as any other developer was.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 25, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

UnknownMercenary posted:

So I've been working my way through some of the FPS demos in next fest and I'm just stuck on the boss fight in Beyond Sunset. Like I know what to do but it feels like I'm just too sluggish or there's very little room for error for this boss and the furthest I got was halfway through its health bar and this is only on the middle difficulty.

Huge amount of Doom Eternal influence going on here. It feels like it has the same problem the Shadow Warrior reboots did though with placing a lot of emphasis on the sword but guns are just more efficient.

I barely use the sword tbh. Are you stocked up on ammo/armor before the fight? Get far away when he does the energy waves you jump or duck under so you have more time. Civvie said there was audio cues to jump or duck but I never noticed them. Use the little robots as lunge bait for ammo and health.

E: just booted up a save before the boss on hard to see if there are audio cues (there are) and died like 20 times in 15 minutes. I have 13 hours of playtime in the demo and have beat it dozens of times. It's just a hard fight lol so don't feel too bad. The thing has a general pattern but will deviate from it rarely so yknow that's fun to deal with.

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 25, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The 7th Guest posted:

my thoughts on FPS demos so far: Kvlt mediocre, Captain Wayne fun but weird level design, Deadlink just OK, Echo Point Nova fine but could use improvement

still got Luna Abyss, MEAT II, and Zortch (which isn't part of Next Fest but the game just came out and there is a demo so heck, I installed it)

e: also Fortune's Run which has had a demo for a while but got that update last week

e: e: MEAT II was not very good. Zortch whips

kvlt was a disappointment. Jesus that game is dark. I mean physically, you can't see poo poo. Deadlink was decent shooty but I could see it getting old if it's just that forever. I liked echo point nova quite a bit and more than severed steel but it also feels like it's just training for multiplayer but that could be the demo

e: double post

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Assepoester posted:

Yeah it's important to remember that Id software was following their pattern of success with releasing a "shareware + mail order the full version" game, and then partnering with a publisher for a retail sequel:

Wolfenstein (shareware + mail order)
Spear of Destiny (retail)
Doom (shareware + mail order)
Doom II (retail)
Quake (shareware + weird cd instantly unlock the full game when you order over the phone thing)
Quake II (retail)

So when doing a retail sequel they were just as beholden to a publisher and publisher deadlines as any other developer was.
Quake was a retail release too.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Has anyone heard anything about age of hell? Gzdoom game, heard about it while looking up stuff about Beyond sunset in the civvie roundup video. Looks cool, demo seems to be somewhere but not on steam, unless I'm looking in the wrong place

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Avoid doing what I did and selecting Mission difficulty "3" because it will impose a 10-hour time limit on finishing the game!

This always blows my mind when I see it.

I've done some speed running before in my time so I understand how these things work, but System Shock is one of those games where my brain can't quite comprehend how you can whittle a run down that far. I know it's basically knowledge and efficiency but still. I took 30 hours!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Has anyone heard anything about age of hell? Gzdoom game, heard about it while looking up stuff about Beyond sunset in the civvie roundup video. Looks cool, demo seems to be somewhere but not on steam, unless I'm looking in the wrong place

The demo is on itch.io https://hellforge-studios.itch.io/the-age-of-hell

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

The creator was teasing an updated/new demo a pair of weeks ago
https://twitter.com/Bridgeburner4/status/1665786926530691072

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

Milo and POTUS posted:

i played some of the demo last year before deciding it wasn't for me. it's slaughtermap: the game. It also ran like a complete pig on a 5600x + 2080

e: my post about it from 2022

Overall: NOT FOR ME

GZDoom based project but leans heavily into the slaughtermap territory (first map has upwards of 800+ monsters, possibly more, I decided I'd had enough after that point anyway. The art and the music are quite impressive but the weapons don't feel great, and it runs like an absolute dog, stuttering and dropping frames on a 5600X+2080. (I figured maybe this was a WINE thing, but it seems like i'm not the only one.) Surprising, because other huge GZDoom projects like Supplice and Selaco both ran excellently for me (which both have excellent demos that you should play immediately if you haven't)

Voodoo Cafe fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 25, 2023

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bumhead posted:

This always blows my mind when I see it.

I've done some speed running before in my time so I understand how these things work, but System Shock is one of those games where my brain can't quite comprehend how you can whittle a run down that far. I know it's basically knowledge and efficiency but still. I took 30 hours!

The original gave you a 7-hour limit on mission 3. :v: And once you've played it through once or twice that's a pretty comfortable limit.

Back when I was doing speedrun routing for SS1 (before doorskip was discovered and obsoleted everything I was doing) I could easily get under 2h and figured under 1h was possible with good play (on 3333). Current WR is under 10 minutes!

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Coffee Jones posted:

I was watching one of these dogshit Youtube Shorts -

Fun Facts About DOOM That Maybe You Don't Know...
They were talking about how Doom 2's final boss was just kinda thrown together at the end because they were against deadlines and had to get something out the door.
(I'll admit, Icon of Sin was a copout. Modelling a new boss to outdo the Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind was a tall order, so I can see how they went with more of a 'puzzle' boss, but it feels like the Icon of Sin room should have been a "climax area" at the end of several other set pieces.)

Icon of Sin is iconic, and people who think it's lame just got unlucky with Archvile spawns :colbert:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I like the icon of sin too.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Assepoester posted:

I thought Quake was published by GT out of the gate. But I checked, and my Quake shareware CD has no mention of them, so I guess it was self published, which I'm a little surprised about since it had decent retail availability. Meanwhile on the Doom Wiki I found this statement:

Doom Wiki posted:

id Software's new business director Mike Wilson would eventually plot an attack against GT Interactive which saw id Software develop Quake as a shareware game long after GTI had considered shareware a dead marketing approach. Reserving retail sales until after id Software had maximized their profits from shareware registrations, the retail version of Quake only moved 250,000 units for the holiday season. id Software would terminate their agreements and contracts with GTI entirely thereafter. According to Masters of Doom, Ron Chaimowitz's reaction by that point was one of "good riddance."
So now I'm curious when the boxed release of Quake actually came out. I know the shareware CD was summer 2006 (and I'd assume the "July 22" date everyone references), and GT released the id Anthology which included a the retail Quake CD in November 1996. Must've been sometime between then.

For what it's worth I don't remember seeing retail Quake in store, only the shareware CD. I do recall seeing the id Anthology in a Babbage's though. That said, I wasn't specifically looking for retail Quake in 1996 as my 486 SX2 (lol) couldn't play it.

By Quake II id had moved to Activision as their publisher and dropped shareware releases in favor of demos.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I thought Quake was published by GT out of the gate. But I checked, and my Quake shareware CD has no mention of them, so I guess it was self published, which I'm a little surprised about since it had decent retail availability. Meanwhile on the Doom Wiki I found this statement:

So now I'm curious when the boxed release of Quake actually came out. I know the shareware CD was summer 2006 (and I'd assume the "July 22" date everyone references), and GT released the id Anthology which included a the retail Quake CD in November 1996. Must've been sometime between then.

By Quake II id had moved to Activision as their publisher and dropped shareware releases in favor of demos.
I definitely bought standalone Quake in a box from Future Shop around 1996, probably late 1996 because I imagine it was either with money I got for my birthday (November) or Christmas.

edit: I specifically remember that the shareware CD had the "Q" logo on the disk, repeated four times around the circle, and the retail CD just said "Quake" on it. Being a child who did not take good care of his CDs by putting them back in the jewel cases all the time, that's how I distinguished between them when I came across them.

Volte fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 26, 2023

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Volte posted:

I specifically remember that the shareware CD had the "Q" logo on the disk, repeated four times around the circle, and the retail CD just said "Quake" on it.
I assumed the label was identical. That's a shame though because the shareware CD was awesome and had really neat packaging even though it was a paper case.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I assumed the label was identical. That's a shame though because the shareware CD was awesome and had really neat packaging even though it was a paper case.
I found a tiny picture on Google, surprisingly hard to find a picture of compared to the Doom 2 CD

edit:
found a better pic, albeit of what looks like a European version

Volte fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!
I still have my retail big box copy of Quake from 96. It has a digipak CD case and the CD is the four Qs - it looks exactly like the shareware, except that it's the full game. I think if you look at the disc itself for either version it has a "Distributed by GT Interactive" on the outside edge of the disc art.

Acolyte! fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 26, 2023