Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I think the people following the war are still discussing the mutiny, but now they're point out all the strange things around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i tend to agree that when some guy manages to mobilise a bunch of guys with heavy military equipment to march on the capital, something has already gone wrong

however, the extent to which this is a critical and structural weakness indicating regime collapse or ineffectiveness is not so clear. the russian state is quite capable of doing things, but it often chooses to empower viceroys and relies on personal loyalty. when goes wrong, it goes very wrong.

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

The word "mutiny" makes me think of pirates

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

they say Putin has been irreversibly damaged … but don’t explain how

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

given the incredibly weird circumstances of yesterday happening at all, the outcome was about as good for putin as you could expect - talking down a bunch of gun-toting maniacs entrenched in several of your major cities is always better than having open firefights in said cities. it's them managing to attain that situation to begin with which is Not Great for the russians

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

euphronius posted:

he really stubbed his toe when he found out what was going on

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
FWIW I'm all for curbing gore/death vids, but also the timing of the complaints couldn't be funnier

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Play Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. It explains everything.

:hmmyes:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

entrenched gun toting maniacs:

https://twitter.com/WarMonitors/status/1672677069539483648

https://twitter.com/WarMonitors/status/1672508128720564227

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

We're confirming the status of the burgers right now Mr. Prigozhin.

They're delicious sir.

I'm loving it.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

I remember reading a discussion about how much of the dumb, inexplicable stuff that goes on in warfare is the result of a bunch of exhausted, hungry, disoriented people in a field in the dark somewhere making hasty decisions on the basis of inadequate information. It might have been FF, it's the sort of poo poo he writes about. Anyway, my point is that this whole... thing... sounds very much like one of those events.

Yeah it's kind of been memory-holed but IIRC there was pretty wide-spread insubordination and mutiny all across the American military towards the end of the Vietnam war. Hell, the continental army mutinied just before the Yorktown campaign because they hadn't been paid in over a year or so. French nobleman had to use his personal stash of walking-around silver to get them moving again.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

V. Illych L. posted:

i tend to agree that when some guy manages to mobilise a bunch of guys with heavy military equipment to march on the capital, something has already gone wrong

however, the extent to which this is a critical and structural weakness indicating regime collapse or ineffectiveness is not so clear. the russian state is quite capable of doing things, but it often chooses to empower viceroys and relies on personal loyalty. when goes wrong, it goes very wrong.

it's a special country with a special way of doing things

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
does tasty sell nuggets too

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

https://twitter.com/PinstripeBungle/status/1673022536181854208

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Al! posted:

does tasty sell nuggets too

yep

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Omg the 9.11 logo even has a plane on it

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

imagine being forced to settle for Вкусно — и точка nuggies literally third world shithole smdh

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I think the persistence of this must have been an op takes, stems from again just how weird this all.was and how it just suddenly ended. Like weird things happen in life but this was really loving weird beyond normal stupidity

lol, that rules

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ardennes posted:

They stood around a building for a while and got Russian McDonald’s.

We should have more wars like that imo

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Ardennes posted:

They stood around a building for a while and got Russian McDonald’s.

all the revolutionary zeal of a high school basketball team traveling for a game

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

BadOptics posted:

Omg the 9.11 logo even has a plane on it

Did you know that before 2002, 511 made like yoga pants and poo poo and was just a granola brand for rock climbers?

It was all of goddamn guys running around on horseback wearing pakols and black Polartec fleece that made them rebrand as, arguably, the first Operator brand of the GWOT.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
watching russian zoomers review Tasty

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Nice to know Muslims picked up wearing beards from Americans.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

BearsBearsBears posted:

This sounds vaguely legit. Nanotech is being used in materials science. Most famously in the nano-thermite that Bush used to destroy the twin towers.

This is all pure science fiction. The man is using nanotechnology like he's Hideo Kojima, as a sort of plot spackle.

The Soviets already developed this technology during the Cold War. It was called Revolver Ocelot.

Revengeance doesn't use nanomachines as stand-off weapons. It uses them in melee, which is even closer than rifle range.

Sister Miriam Godwinson posted:

Already we have turned all of our critical industries, all of our material resources, over to these...things...these lumps of silver and paste we call nanorobots. And now we propose to teach them intelligence? What, pray tell, will we do when these little homunculi awaken one day announce that they have no further need for us?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Can you imagine how the face of warfare would be forever changed if we had an army of rocketeers? Imagine the possibilities!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNDBrSxg3tE

THE FUTURE OF WARFIGHTING

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Jabhat Fatah al-Sham ftw

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

support our troops

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
prig tazed his own balls off trying to storm the kremlin

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Did you know that before 2002, 511 made like yoga pants and poo poo and was just a granola brand for rock climbers?

It was all of goddamn guys running around on horseback wearing pakols and black Polartec fleece that made them rebrand as, arguably, the first Operator brand of the GWOT.

All I know is the first time I noticed the brand it was at least half the clothes being sold in the BX which is as clear of a red flag as you can possibly get.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Chillgamesh posted:

support our troops

lmao

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Chillgamesh posted:

support our troops

loving incredible

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Ardennes posted:

Nice to know Muslims picked up wearing beards from Americans.

You know what he's talking about! :nallears:

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
Watching the video of Prigozhin leaving Rostov, I don't think this story is over, at all.

People in Rostov probably know more about the war in Ukraine than people in Moscow, so that's one thing. They might be worried that the war is going to move into their area when the Ukrainians get Western fighter jets. Another thing is that it seems likely that Russian soldiers get their R&R there, and tell about their experiences in the trenches to civilians they meet at bars and in parks. Realities like the fact that there are no Nazis to save the Ukrainians from, and that the war is at the very best scenario not moving forward -- more likely, the Russians are loosing.

Yesterday, there was a lot of "the full might of the Russian army will stop Prigozhin from getting into Moscow" going on. Where do people/pundits get that assumption from? A year into the war in Ukraine, that "full might" has not been demonstrated at all -- why would it suddenly appear now? Maybe people in Rostov and Prigozhin know that all too well. Maybe Moscow could have been toppled with 25.000 mercenaries?

I find it extremely likely that the generals are selling off arms and ammunition to third parties, and one reason Prigozhin knows that is that he buys them, with all the cash he kept in his house in St. Petersburg.

If, and this is obviously speculative, Prigozhin has been trying to tell this to Putin, and Putin still decided to stick with the generals, Putin is powerless, a mere puppet in the hands of the system he built. Meaning: I don't think the generals are powerful puppeteers, I think this whole situation has run out of their control and they are paddling to survive. OK, I'll stop metaphoring, I've lost control of that situation entirely.

Oh, and if I am right about the above, the reason Lukaschenko could talk the two Russians down would be that he could point out that right now, non of them would gain from a collapse in Russia. Prigozhin is not ready to be the new czar, he prefers oligarching and war lording. Putin does not need or want a civil war, even if he could eventually win it (not likely). Lukashenko would loose everything without Russian protection. If there is a civil war in central Russia, lots of minorities on the periphery will rebel and seek independence. The Russian federation could be gone within a year.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Officer Sandvich posted:

I find it extremely likely that the generals are selling off arms and ammunition to third parties, and one reason Prigozhin knows that is that he buys them, with all the cash he kept in his house in St. Petersburg.
lmao

strong trump 'i should know they're corrupt, i give politicians money for favors too' energy

edit: thanks for the video, i was worried about that tank and im happy to see they greased it up and got it out

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

euphronius posted:

putins entire image in russia was built on being the guy who brought Russia out of the political and economic chaos of the 90s. what happened the last few days was about as chaotic as it gets. that there was enough dissatisfaction with him that thousands of russians were willing to risk their life to follow prigozhin in committing treason and revolt is also not a good sign.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Yeah it's almost as if Russia is not some homogenous bug hivemind and the individual people actually have their own opinions. Weird!

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

My baseless speculation was the Prigs knew he probably could have marched into the Kremlin if he wanted to and that probably scared him as much as getting obliterated.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
For pretty much every person I've seen use the word kayfabe, none of them seem to understand the actual notion of a work

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
prigozhin marched on the russian capitol to prove that he could march on other capitols, if he was paid enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'm staying faithful, Lukashenko threatened to send his belarusian farmer-snipers after prigo from the rear if he decided to keep going