Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

putins entire image in russia was built on being the guy who brought Russia out of the political and economic chaos of the 90s. what happened the last few days was about as chaotic as it gets. that there was enough dissatisfaction with him that thousands of russians were willing to risk their life to follow prigozhin in committing treason and revolt is also not a good sign.

Too bad about those millions of other Russians from generals and governors to loud mouth telegrammers declaring publicly that they're behind Putin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Delta-Wye posted:

imagine being forced to settle for Вкусно — и точка nuggies literally third world shithole smdh

remember how one of the biggest economic arguments for wars being over because Neoliberalism is the greatest thing ever is how no country that has a mcdonalds has ever gone to war with another country that has a mcdonalds

and then this happened and whoops it turns out they just replace the mcdonalds. who could have ever possibly seen this coming

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

a lot of people in Russia are aware that the war is not going according to plan and are not happy about it, but for a variety of reasons it is not possible to be publicly anti-war (fear of appearing defeatist, fear of the return of the 90s, desire to support “our guys” etc.). Prigozhin was a major war critic from the only direction where that’s still possible i.e. we’re not kicking rear end hard enough, not because of the quality of the Russian soldier or vova’s leadership but because of corrupt, incompetent generals. that’s what made him so popular.

he was probably trying to thread that needle in his mutiny and didn’t expect Putin to call it treason, which meant that he was no longer just acting against the bad boyars but now directly against the good tsar. once that happened his whole thesis basically collapsed and it was coup or surrender, and he wasn’t prepared to (or, I think, interested in) coup.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

OctaMurk posted:

prigozhin marched on the russian capitol to prove that he could march on other capitols, if he was paid enough

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1672629532220596224
https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1672780234880327683

It's going to turn out that the same guys who believed that the Russians were so weak that the NATO-trained Ukrainians just had to slava their way to victory into a minefield are also the same guys who thought the Russians are on the cusp of welcoming their new rules based order warlord.

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

Ardennes posted:

Nice to know Muslims picked up wearing beards from Americans.

they're making fun of american operator culture there

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
No two countries with a Vkusno I Tochka have ever gone to war.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

insane clown pussy posted:

It was how the tweet was phrased.

Also, I think the OP has done its job so far.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

I'm staying faithful, Lukashenko threatened to send his belarusian farmer-snipers after prigo from the rear if he decided to keep going

minnesota farmer-sniper party

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

OctaMurk posted:

No two countries with a Vkusno I Tochka have ever gone to war.

Томас Фридман

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Grapplejack posted:

remember how one of the biggest economic arguments for wars being over because Neoliberalism is the greatest thing ever is how no country that has a mcdonalds has ever gone to war with another country that has a mcdonalds

and then this happened and whoops it turns out they just replace the mcdonalds. who could have ever possibly seen this coming

serbia had mcdonalds since 1988
pakistan had mcdonalds since 1998

probably more examples

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Officer Sandvich posted:

Maybe Moscow could have been toppled with 25.000 mercenaries?

No way there were 25k mercs trucking to Moscow. How long of a convoy would that form? 25 miles at least right? The videos we saw of Wagner was of them traveling single file and along a single highway. I don't think we saw them them with more than a few hundred vehicles. It's an impressive show of force to be sure but no where close to 25,000.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

putins entire image in russia was built on being the guy who brought Russia out of the political and economic chaos of the 90s. what happened the last few days was about as chaotic as it gets. that there was enough dissatisfaction with him that thousands of russians were willing to risk their life to follow prigozhin in committing treason and revolt is also not a good sign.

yeah the whole opportunity was presented because foundationally putin opened this seam between himself and the military arm of the russian state by having this war with calamitous losses. it took way less for soldiers to continously gently caress up their superiors in vietnam

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Best Friends posted:

there is a big difference between ‘living in terror’ and something being actually good. to take your example, Jan 6 was an actual, measurable drag on the republican party in the following midterms that they should have cleaned up in. I get saying that this is a decent outcome of a bad situation, sure. positioning this situation as an actual positive is, however, loving wild.

they got destroyed because the jebusfreak yahoos finally completed their generational project of revoking abortion rights lol.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
prig was offering more of the same, so he really can't have garned support. no to mention most ppl wouldn't particular believe he could do better than the P man. so at best soldiers would be like yeah whatever and let em by. hes sorta an expression of a discontent that exist, but not a solution.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1672795483712913410

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i don't think the force prigozhin was bringing to moscow would have any chance in a pitched battle against whatever the government managed to fly in. they could probably have turned downtown rostov into a battlefield, but my guess is that the wagner guys would've folded pretty quickly once it became clear that it was hopeless

still, getting prigozhin to back down without this happening was an optimal solution - it would have been better had the guy outright surrendered, but he had enough leverage to get out of this, playing on putin's general aversion to risk. it was still an enormously dangerous thing to do

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Chillgamesh posted:

support our troops

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

elon's right

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

tldr: he worked himself into multiple shoots

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

Did they? We have no idea how many dudes joined in on this. At best we have poo poo from people on Twitter saying the Convoy was betwee. 150-400 vehicles, thats a huge discrepancy to be able.to figure out what happened. In all pf this we have to remember how loving unreliable Twitter is, because remember all those posts about heres pictures of Pierogi with all these military officers joining his side, Civil War in Russia poo poo?

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1672163267479781383?cxt=HHwWjoC2ybvo27QuAAAA

The shibas seem very excited by this new toy.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Officer Sandvich posted:

Realities like the fact that there are no Nazis to save the Ukrainians from,

lol

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

KomradeX posted:

Did they? We have no idea how many dudes joined in on this. At best we have poo poo from people on Twitter saying the Convoy was betwee. 150-400 vehicles, thats a huge discrepancy to be able.to figure out what happened. In all pf this we have to remember how loving unreliable Twitter is, because remember all those posts about heres pictures of Pierogi with all these military officers joining his side, Civil War in Russia poo poo?

there are plenty of videos and reports showing the size of the convoy heading toward moscow, etc. prig kept on saying 25k but all the reports seemed to estimate about 5k each in the two forces. if it was just several hundred men Putin would not have bothered negotiating.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

KomradeX posted:

The Russian government was deadly afraid of a couple hundred guys and their trucks.

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

there are plenty of videos and reports showing the size of the convoy heading toward moscow, etc. prig kept on saying 25k but all the reports seemed to estimate about 5k each in the two forces. if it was just several hundred men Putin would not have bothered negotiating.

Hmmm

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

insane clown pussy posted:

The whole reason operators started wearing beards in the first place was there was about a week in November 2001 where it was decided that western SF would have low visibility.

So they were literally supposed to look like muslims. Then, like LLRPs and SOG in Vietnam wearing tiger stripe because that's what the ARVN they were partnered with wore, it became idk a self-perpetuating aesthetic.

Those black fleece coats and oakleys were part of the original SF look, so were pakols, but then the west gave up on low visibility, but flouting grooming regulations was too valuable to self-image to give up, I guess.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

Capitulation is when you peacefully prevail over the guys stuck 200km from the capital on a highway and get everything you want but the head of the leader who miscalculated heavily.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

if it was just several hundred men Putin would not have bothered negotiating.

ur right, he delegated to luka

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Raskolnikov38 posted:

tldr: he worked himself into multiple shoots

yep

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1673052618656997377

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Ardennes posted:

The Russian government was deadly afraid of a couple hundred guys and their trucks.

Hmmm

Vladimir... Trudeau??? :wth:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Danann posted:

Capitulation is when you peacefully prevail over the guys stuck 200km from the capital on a highway and get everything you want but the head of the leader who miscalculated heavily.

where did i say capitulation? it is a bit humiliating to let a guy walk free you just accused on TV of being a stab in the back traitor, but otherwise it was a victory for putin in that situation.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

(Ukraine take note)
https://twitter.com/DAlperovitch/status/1673048862938873856

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Btw, it was shot down right on the Ukrainian border near Luhansk, away from the highway.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ardennes posted:

Btw, it was shot down right on the Ukrainian border near Luhansk, away from the highway.

Well, in Voronezh oblast, one of the places the columns moved through, but yes:

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1673054353102454786

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

yes how foolish of Russia to not… carpet bomb a civilian highway filled with civilians

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
"Ukraine take note" lol yeah I wonder what would happen if they tried that :allears:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Majorian posted:

Well, in Voronezh oblast, one of the places the columns moved through, but yes:

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1673054353102454786

Yeah, it’s an entire oblast and a Manpad isn’t going to hit that high and I don’t think I saw them setting up an entire SAM system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

where did i say capitulation? it is a bit humiliating to let a guy walk free you just accused on TV of being a stab in the back traitor, but otherwise it was a victory for putin in that situation.

Humiliation as declared by western publications and social media is an incredibly worthless outside of the west hth.