Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

They're still behind, they can't get past incandescents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

kazil posted:

They've been using "gaslighting" for decades

No they haven't

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/brotigupta/status/1673028652517437440?s=46&t=LuWlVigXSHv3TXi-WVRPYA

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

rodbeard posted:

No they haven't

Yes they have. You know that.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

rodbeard posted:

No they haven't

Why you gaslighting me with this post

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
gas lights were often installed at the top of posts!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TinTower posted:

It’s even more hilarious that he’s on the “testosterone makes competition unfair” train because that’s one of the things he doped on.

Every trans athlete "controversy" I've heard of has been an AMAB athlete competing in women's competitions, maybe I'm betraying my ignorance of transitioning and the drugs involved but surely they aren't taking testosterone?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
"Gaslighting" means holding a match up to a fart, and no one is going to gaslight me into thinking it's anything else

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Air Skwirl posted:

Every trans athlete "controversy" I've heard of has been an AMAB athlete competing in women's competitions, maybe I'm betraying my ignorance of transitioning and the drugs involved but surely they aren't taking testosterone?

The argument, as I understand it, is that if you transition at an older age then you get a body which has developed under the influence of testosterone.

Which, to the extent that it is true, I don't think matters as much as the normal selection factors that go into who gets to be a top athelete. Some people just develop bodies that are especially well suited to doing sports and the whole point of the industrial machine that produces world class athletes is sifting through the population to find them and condition them from a very early age to be competitive.

It is pretty silly, I think, to look at that industry and say "well we can't have any of this particular kind of selection bias" when the entire loving thing is a function of selection bias and funding and drugs.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Yeah. I am exceedingly pissed off that Michael Phelps got "this guy is an incredible mutant, his body doesn't react to fatigue poisons" (or whatever it was, I forget) while Castor Semenya gets "her body has more testosterone than usual, BURN THE WITCH."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also it getting co-opted by the trans panic assholes is doubly aggravating when sports churn through plenty of children and gently caress up their lives just to get the handful of top performers who can be turned into million dollar broadcast and merchandising deals.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yeah. I am exceedingly pissed off that Michael Phelps got "this guy is an incredible mutant, his body doesn't react to fatigue poisons" (or whatever it was, I forget) while Castor Semenya gets "her body has more testosterone than usual, BURN THE WITCH."

Oh yeah, there’s a strong element of misogynoir in the whole thing too.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That was the point that I realized that these people were utterly unhinged, deranged and not afraid to let everyone else know about it. The fact that they were willing to pillory Semenya simply because they could not believe that she wasn't trans was... For me, at least, the crossing of the Rubicon.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
You should see how they talk about Brittney Griner too.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

OwlFancier posted:

The argument, as I understand it, is that if you transition at an older age then you get a body which has developed under the influence of testosterone.

Which, to the extent that it is true, I don't think matters as much as the normal selection factors that go into who gets to be a top athelete. Some people just develop bodies that are especially well suited to doing sports and the whole point of the industrial machine that produces world class athletes is sifting through the population to find them and condition them from a very early age to be competitive.

It is pretty silly, I think, to look at that industry and say "well we can't have any of this particular kind of selection bias" when the entire loving thing is a function of selection bias and funding and drugs.
Yeah the thing is any world class athlete is going to have genetic and physiological advantages on top of the amount of hard work and skill they put into their sport. It's not a meritocracy any way you cut it, and there's not exactly a huge percentage of trans people anyway - afaik trans women statistically tend to compete at the same level as cis women as long as they're on HRT. A lot of cis afab athletes are constantly getting criticized for being too manlike, especially if they're not white, it's gross.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

PetraCore posted:

Yeah the thing is any world class athlete is going to have genetic and physiological advantages on top of the amount of hard work and skill they put into their sport. It's not a meritocracy any way you cut it, and there's not exactly a huge percentage of trans people anyway - afaik trans women statistically tend to compete at the same level as cis women as long as they're on HRT. A lot of cis afab athletes are constantly getting criticized for being too manlike, especially if they're not white, it's gross.

The poo poo people have said about the Williams sisters.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PetraCore posted:

trans women on HRT, especially post sex reassignment surgery, have LESS testosterone than cis women. it's absurd to think it's an actual issue on that basis.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
We really need to just switch to a weight class system mixed with something closer to the paralympics, where they grade amount of physical ability and put athletes against other competitors with similar capabilities. It would also diminish the advantage of wealthy countries doing poo poo like having high altitude training facilities, which basically duplicates the effect of blood doping, but isn't against the rules.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Yeah, and like I said, cis women have gotten criticized for having bodies that just produce more testosterone and is thus too 'masculine', despite that just being their body and despite sports being about natural physical advantages as much as it is effort and skill. If trans women were really all such powerful athletes you'd expect any competition that allows them to compete to be dominated by them, but that's not the case. It's just fearmongering and othering and it's gross.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Also, to note the colossal amount of poo poo he got over smoking a weed, just like our man Ross. https://youtu.be/RqPjJ6_9kps

People like to get lovely about sports, and have a good old outrage panic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

PetraCore posted:

Yeah, and like I said, cis women have gotten criticized for having bodies that just produce more testosterone and is thus too 'masculine', despite that just being their body and despite sports being about natural physical advantages as much as it is effort and skill. If trans women were really all such powerful athletes you'd expect any competition that allows them to compete to be dominated by them, but that's not the case. It's just fearmongering and othering and it's gross.

To my knowledge a trans woman has never set a world record.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I mean all that is true, and I know this isn't how anyone here means it, but it still kinda bums me out that even a lot of supportive people end up coming to a stance where it sounds like trans women (never men, somehow) can compete with cis women as long as they aren't too good. Like if Caitlin Jenner had been on HRT in her Olympics era she would likely still have been crushing it and that's fine too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Personally the thing it's really pushed me towards is that the idea of The Objective Goodest Athlete is just loving stupid generally. If you like doing sports for fun that's great but the entire bullshit around the idea that we can use it to essentially do a tier list of the human species is loving garbage on every level. It encourages utterly loving stupid behaviour like this all in search of maintaining this obvious fiction that these records and poo poo mean anything.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It's Muhammad Ali if we are just going to name a GOAT.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's just like, yeah you won the running competition, but all that signifies is that you were born the right way at the right time in the right place that someone noticed you and poured a bunch of money into you to make you competitive, good job. You can run microscopically faster than a bunch of other similar people. We have no way of measuring the actual achievement because we can't see into people's brains and know how difficult a thing was for them.

And in return we get all this stupid loving poo poo surrounding sports. Abhorrent industries, nationalist bullshit, the human cost. gently caress the lot of it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I've been trying to avoid posting random idiots just being hateful about trans people, but this one is so loving dumb I think, hope, it moves over to the genuinely funny category.

https://twitter.com/BadMedicalTakes/status/1673064268202225664?s=20

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Air Skwirl posted:

The poo poo people have said about the Williams sisters.

Yeah, the Williams sisters are jacked and they're cis, which can sometimes be a helpful thing to point out to bigots. Not always, but sometimes.

And as far as I can tell, the majority of girls/women from the younger generations want trans females to be allowed to play with them. They tend to be a lot more tolerant of people's differences than previous generations. The main places where I've seen a lot of pushback against trans athletes are rural areas, which tend to be ultraconservative.

Unfortunately, because of the way our system of government works, people in rural areas have a lot more power than they should actually have. It allows a minority of voters to enforce their wishes on everyone else. It doesn't help that they're extremely outspoken and often are able to just shout down opposing opinions.

...! has a new favorite as of 21:29 on Jun 25, 2023

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/bronzeageshawty/status/1672071087209988096

https://twitter.com/bronzeageshawty/status/1672654470591963137

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

YoUr LiTtLe SiPs Of WaTeR

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Fellas is it gay to hydrate?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Pretty sure they frown on carrying a pocket knife in an airport, there was a bit of an incident 22 years ago.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Coolness Averted posted:

We really need to just switch to a weight class system mixed with something closer to the paralympics, where they grade amount of physical ability and put athletes against other competitors with similar capabilities. It would also diminish the advantage of wealthy countries doing poo poo like having high altitude training facilities, which basically duplicates the effect of blood doping, but isn't against the rules.

I am genuinely interested, how do they grade folks for the paralympics to match them up against someone that they'd have a fair chance against?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Dameius posted:

Fellas is it gay to hydrate?

Have you ever seen a gay man that hasn't drunk water???

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Whatever this was is already gone

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Hydroxide is the trad drink

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Any time someone uses the phrase 'the ick', you know you're only a few sentences away from a truly unhinged opinion on something.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Henchman of Santa posted:

You should see how they talk about Brittney Griner too.

I can only imagine it's gotten worse since she has been vocally supportive of trans athletes being allowed to compete

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

PurpleXVI posted:

I am genuinely interested, how do they grade folks for the paralympics to match them up against someone that they'd have a fair chance against?

It varies from sport to sport, but in general it depends on the specific medical condition. For example, competitors with cerebral palsy are classified from CP1 to CP8, with 1 being the most severe. This standard is set by the CP-ISRA, the governing body for athletic and recreational activities for people with cerebral palsy. So for example, the 200 metre sprint CP7 means that all competitors have cerebral palsy of a similar severity, as determined by medical professionals.

For amputations, the classification depends on amputation above/below the elbow/knee, and if one or both limbs are amputated. With sight, it depends on how much of an athlete's vision remains.

The International Wheelchair and Amputee Sports Federation is the general governing body for international athletics for people with disabilities. The Paralympics are governed by the International Paralympic Committee. The standards are usually set by either an association that governs multiple sports but a specific medical condition or an association that governs a specific sport across multiple medical conditions.

Fun side note: The predecessor to the Paralympics was organised as a giant middle finger to the Nazis. The Stoke Mandeville Games (named after the organizing hospital) were put together by doctor Ludwig Guttmann, a German Jewish doctor who fled to Britain in 1939, as an athletic competition for British World War 2 veterans who had suffered some form of disability during the war.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Skios posted:

[cool facts]

Ah, interesting, I thought it'd be more like some sort of... generalized test of "you can move this fast, you can move this fast for this long, etc." in case you didn't end up with enough folks with similar disabilities in the same discipline and had to match up folks with different disabilities against each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Air Skwirl posted:

To my knowledge a trans woman has never set a world record.

Speedrunning. :colbert: