Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The SW book is a very massive step down from tro 3039. That book was just an incredible value, every single intro tech unit in the entire game in one book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
350 pt AS AAR. House Davion (SwordSworn) vs. Mercs over a contested city. Mercenaries have landed and captured the outskirts of the town separated by a long canal bridge. AFFS commanded to push out this probing attack.

The battlefield.

Davion Company: 1 Heavy Battle, 1 Medium Battle, 1 Cavalry.

Mercenary Company: 1 Heavy Battle, 1 Cavalry, 1 Urbie lance + Hatchetman

Sniping across the bridge begins, several lucky hits are scored on the merc Atlas. Only 1 hit in return on the Marauder.

By the second round, Merc Atlas has taken too many criticals and falls. Davion medium battle lance advances, Crusader gets savaged, then pulls back. Cavalry lances continue on both sides to reposition in attempts to flank.

The Davions press their luck and start advancing down the bridge with heavy firepower. The mercenaries create a solid line at the end of the bridge, rather than stay within the town, and a fierce firefight ensues. 'Mechs fall on both sides, but the Davions keep advancing, pushing fallen 'mechs out of the way. The mercenaries eventually run out of machines first.

When the medium battle lance reaches the other side the mercenaries begin to break and run. Out of two lances, only two Urbanmechs are left. The Thug, Atlas, both Black Knights, Hachetman are all down. But the Davio heavy battle lance is also in a watery grave, save their Marauder.

The only place the mercenaries are clearly winning is on the right side of the bridge, where their heavier cavalry lance is making mincemeat of the Davion cavalry. But with the remains of the battle lances advancing towards them, they must retreat.

For God! For the Suns! For the Prince!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Good ol' cardboard and felt. So much mileage for a low, low price. Looks nice, too.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Defiance Industries posted:

The SW book is a very massive step down from tro 3039. That book was just an incredible value, every single intro tech unit in the entire game in one book.

3039 is probably the best TRO they've made, but it's still missing some units that I'd really like to have in a truly comprehensive intro tech book like the Chameleon and Crockette, intro tech versions of the Annihilator and Imp, the Merlin, and the "proliferation" mechs like the Ymir and Firebee.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

350 pt AS AAR. House Davion (SwordSworn) vs. Mercs over a contested city. Mercenaries have landed and captured the outskirts of the town separated by a long canal bridge. AFFS commanded to push out this probing attack.

The battlefield.

Davion Company: 1 Heavy Battle, 1 Medium Battle, 1 Cavalry.

Mercenary Company: 1 Heavy Battle, 1 Cavalry, 1 Urbie lance + Hatchetman

Sniping across the bridge begins, several lucky hits are scored on the merc Atlas. Only 1 hit in return on the Marauder.

By the second round, Merc Atlas has taken too many criticals and falls. Davion medium battle lance advances, Crusader gets savaged, then pulls back. Cavalry lances continue on both sides to reposition in attempts to flank.

The Davions press their luck and start advancing down the bridge with heavy firepower. The mercenaries create a solid line at the end of the bridge, rather than stay within the town, and a fierce firefight ensues. 'Mechs fall on both sides, but the Davions keep advancing, pushing fallen 'mechs out of the way. The mercenaries eventually run out of machines first.

When the medium battle lance reaches the other side the mercenaries begin to break and run. Out of two lances, only two Urbanmechs are left. The Thug, Atlas, both Black Knights, Hachetman are all down. But the Davio heavy battle lance is also in a watery grave, save their Marauder.

The only place the mercenaries are clearly winning is on the right side of the bridge, where their heavier cavalry lance is making mincemeat of the Davion cavalry. But with the remains of the battle lances advancing towards them, they must retreat.

For God! For the Suns! For the Prince!

Rad AAR and sweet battleboard

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Those hex hills are awesome, how'd you get the grid on?

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Thanks guys.

Count Thrashula posted:

So the terrain is called Geo-Hex and made by this guy (https://www.facebook.com/geohex/?ref=page_internal). He sells terrain with and without hexes. This stuff is all my friend's, he got enough stuff so his son and him could do 4' x 8" game boards with all 3D terrain.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So, in Battletech lore...has a mercenary army or army commander ever tried to take over a great house? Presumably it failed?

Seems rather strange it hasn't been done before...as it happens in history so often, going back to old J.C of Rome himself.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Comstar posted:

So, in Battletech lore...has a mercenary army or army commander ever tried to take over a great house? Presumably it failed?

Seems rather strange it hasn't been done before...as it happens in history so often, going back to old J.C of Rome himself.

Virtually all the successful coups in BT history came from in-house or from more distant branches of the family line, including the von Rohrs Dynasty.

I really can't think of one? There's plenty of merc mutinies but nothing of that flavor.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Arguably that's what Amaris did.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Even larger mercenary groups, like Wolf's Dragoons were only 5 mech regiments, which Sarna says is roughly 540 to 900 mechs (108 to 180 mechs per regiment). That's a lot, but not enough to take over a bigger house.

Draconis Combine controls 350 systems. In 2750, they had 55 mech regiments, 6,000 to 10,000 mechs. In 2765 they were at 115 mech regiments and thousands of conventional regiments. 2786 161 regiments, 3025 they were down to 80 mech regiments and were the second largest military. They were back up to 99 by the clan invasion.

edit: In 3050:

Snord's Irregulars had 1 battalion (~36 mechs).
Grey Death Legion had 1 mech battalion, 1 infantry battalion, and 1 aerospace battalion.
Eridani Light Horse had 3 regiments
Kell Hounds had 2 regiments

Chainclaw fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 24, 2023

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Battletech lore has to keep things basically the same over centuries so that fans can keep it all straight. So, it’s way way way more stable than any actual history outside of the designated setting-change moments (clan invasion, jihad, ilkhan.) actual fuedal history would have things like the fedcom union and dissolution all the time and dynasties getting overthrown. BT blob borders change a little but each blob gets one dynasty and that dynasty stays.

Imo the interesting stuff in the fiction all happens in the margins. The davions are never going away, but a local planetary baron and her over ambitious chief of her guard? Anything can happen there.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Chaos March was a thing and really should be happening more often

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I would love it if each ruling dynasty had a rival internal dynasty scheming for their downfall AND those two dynasties periodically changed places. Would add a ton of intrigue and plot hooks. Instead best case scenario you get a designated multi century loser ducal dynasty.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Comstar posted:

Mercenaries are a significantly smaller proportion of the army when compared to Rome. The combined number of hired soldiers serving a great house is seldom more than 10% of their total troops.

The armies are more Napoleonic than anything, really.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Best Friends posted:

I would love it if each ruling dynasty had a rival internal dynasty scheming for their downfall AND those two dynasties periodically changed places. Would add a ton of intrigue and plot hooks. Instead best case scenario you get a designated multi century loser ducal dynasty.

The devs never let them win, but Steiner had Lestrade and Davion had Hasek, Marik had Humphreys and I guess Kurita had von Rohrs who won for a while. Liao don't gently caress around.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Count Thrashula posted:

For real, I long for the day of having a battle mat setup like that.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Liao has Liao

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Comstar posted:

Caesar was an army commander but not of a mercenary army (and also he was already a politician too). You want military coups, then Amaris? Kerensky, sort of?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Lyran Commonwealth briefly went through a fun time with Vedet Brewer

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
would vedet brewer (and before that the Warrior's Cabal over throwing Peter Steiner-Davion) count for those?

there's also the Kuritan Hidden War.

gently caress, beaten by Sidesaddle.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Warrior's Cabal didn't overthrow Archon Peter. The Cabal is a Davion thing and while they did kill Peter Regular Davion, his son Andrew (Hanse's dad) turned around and murdered them all.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I mean, the Von Rohrs can't be overlooked considering they killed nearly all of House Kurita.

And then the McAllisters killed all the Von Rohrs and oh look at this blood test from a decade ago proves Martin McAllister is definitely actually a Kurita. Except Martin McAllister only had a daughter, Siriwan McAllister, and being a totall rear end in a top hat Martin McAllister declared she could never succeed him. So she of course married someone with the Kurita name. Unfortunately, her husband nearly immediately died of depression and eating too much bad shellfish (and totally not poison) after her son was born and she became regent for forty years (she definitely would've given that up sooner but of course her son was onboard with her staying in power while he had fun). Eventually she did retire to an advisory position and her son ruled for 35 reasonably prosperous for House Kurita years after which he and both of his heirs sequentially died of eating bad shellfish (and definitely not poison). So at the age of 109, Siriwan McAllister became Coordinator of the Draconis Combine having obeyed the letter of her father's decree by not directly succeeding him, reigned for two years, and retired again after putting Sanethia Kurita, another woman, on the throne.

Unfortunately, Sanethia's heir Urizen Kurita II was the colossal weeaboo who's most responsible for the Draconis Combine's modern culture.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 21, 2023

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Siriwan was one of the main characters in a Shrapnel piece I realized would never get published. It was about the captain of Leonard Kurita's palace guard and how he was complicit in Leonard's murder.

I thought it was a neat idea but it was still ultimately a story about a guy standing in a hallway until various people talked to him

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

See, like, I’m not thrilled with monarchies on a principle level so I can’t get into game of Thrones where it’s the political machinations of a handful of rich nobles controlling the livelihoods of an entire span of people fighting and dying for them, and similarly I have a problem with Battletech hinging on the political machinations of like 4 noble houses that no one could ever overthrow controlling the lives of millions of people fighting and dying for a tiny monarchy of assholes who’s bloodlines are never going away so I can’t tell if maybe Battletech’s fiction isn’t fit for me.

That said Canopus seems to be alright even if their Matriarchy seems to be entirely controlled by the same bloodline which isn’t exactly my jam.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Xenomrph posted:

That said Canopus seems to be alright even if their Matriarchy seems to be entirely controlled by the same bloodline which isn’t exactly my jam.

You mean the people who decided they would fight to put people under Capellan rule in exchange for military technology?

Canopus apologia is dumb as gently caress. They don't have slaves but you know what they do have? Indentured servants.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So what you’re telling me is every faction in Battletech is hosed up and unlikeable.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The Lyrans are probably the best when they're not run by a genocidal maniac but on a good day they're still run by nobility and they sell officer ranks.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

They don't sell them, you just have a much easier time getting into an academy if you know the right people. The lower levels of the Lyran officer corps are some of the best in the Inner Sphere because they constantly have to compensate for the rot at Kommandant to Hauptmann-General.

It's the Canopians who straight up sell promotions.

BattleMaster posted:

The Lyrans are probably the best when they're not run by a genocidal maniac but on a good day they're still run by nobility and they sell officer ranks.

Even under a maniac, Lyrans all have the right to food, shelter and education as basic human rights.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Defiance Industries posted:

Even under a maniac, Lyrans all have the right to food, shelter and education as basic human rights.

This is nothing next to the Free World's right to vote.

...and the duty to violently rebel whenever someone else votes wrong.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

the outworlds alliance is kinda chill, sometimes

at the very least, i like their they only have three medals for their military: most improved (ground forces), most improved (air forces), and "defied odds to keep civilians safe"

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Xenomrph posted:

See, like, I’m not thrilled with monarchies on a principle level so I can’t get into game of Thrones where it’s the political machinations of a handful of rich nobles controlling the livelihoods of an entire span of people fighting and dying for them, and similarly I have a problem with Battletech hinging on the political machinations of like 4 noble houses that no one could ever overthrow controlling the lives of millions of people fighting and dying for a tiny monarchy of assholes who’s bloodlines are never going away so I can’t tell if maybe Battletech’s fiction isn’t fit for me.

BattleTech isn't anywhere near as pessimistic or nihilistic as GoT is in their characters, most BattleTech characters, noble or not, actually believe in what they say and fighting for their nations, which is probably closer to history than is the travesty that is GoT/ASOIAF. The good guys actually do win usually in BattleTech, evil is often punished, and heroes can make a difference.

And BattleTech has unfortunately moved away from the noble houses scheming theme for a while now into just hard-scifi military fiction. To me it makes the stories less engaging, as there's only so many times I can read about "mr. tough guy mcsoldier fighting a tough battle, who has no family and his only friends are in his lance, and yay they won".

quote:

So what you’re telling me is every faction in Battletech is hosed up and unlikeable.

Far from it. I would say with a few exceptions, every BattleTech faction is actually fairly realistic. All these realms have committed atrocities, but almost all of them also believe they're trying to live up to ideals and make the universe better for their people. You have some outliers like the Draconis Combine who are outright fascists or The Clans who are warrior-based communists, but Davions, Steiners, FWLs, Canopus, and many others are pretty similar to most states today or monarchies of a century or two ago. States that bumble along, sometimes making pigheaded decisions, but not acting irrationally cruel or murderous just to be edgy and 'realistic' (f*ck you GRRM for misrepresenting history and calling it realistic). And even in those states that are pretty unapologetically bad you can still find individuals or even groups who are trying to do the right thing or be better than their environment, or who believe the state can and should be better than it curently is.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Yeah, I think one of the strengths of the setting is how multifaceted most of the factions are. On the surface level they all have one or two-sentence summaries, but they all have a lot more to them. Part of that is due to deliberate decisions made when writing the various faction books, and part of it is the legacy of 30 years and dozens of different authors putting their stamp on things. It winds up being more "realistic" when all of the different successor states have nuance, but it makes for better wargame factions too; you want all of the factions to have both reasons to get attached to them and play as them, and to have reasons to dislike them and get pumped about fighting against them.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Ymmv but I would just play the game. It isn't like 30 cents on every dollar you spend is split between the Queen of England and Vladimir Putin.

If you want, you can make up your own space anarcho-communist workers utopia in the periphery, where there are no gods, no masters, only 'Mechs

I've only been involved with the hobby for about six months, but the vibe I get is that CGL wants to focus more on the periphery and mercenary stories and less on the Feudal drama.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

CGL's current stated goal is to put out stuff spotlighting areas in the IS where small-scale fights are going on as a setting for player campaigns. If you look at TR and EA, they both follow the basic mold of "great powers of the area move cautiously and that allows individual actors to take advantage. They don't have the full resources of their nation so they have to recruit small change guys (like you, the players!) to help out."

It's a much better choice to go "Hey Fontaine Marik wants to attack the Wolves but the Captain-General won't give him the go-order, so he has to use troops that are personally loyal and supplement them with mercs he hires from his personal fortune" versus the old style of "Victor shows up and does Victor things. He's the only thing that matters. He brought nine regiments of troops with him."

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The noble stuff always had this sorta old timey soap opera feel. Like it's just this handful of ppl dramaing at each other in budget sets. It never worked that well for me. The old Stackpole Melissa and Hanse trilogy etc. Stuff like Wolves on the Border felt a tad more lived in but overall it's probably better to write about the little guys and let the reader imagine the crazy poo poo going on at the top that sets it all in motion.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

aphid_licker posted:

The noble stuff always had this sorta old timey soap opera feel. Like it's just this handful of ppl dramaing at each other in budget sets. It never worked that well for me. The old Stackpole Melissa and Hanse trilogy etc. Stuff like Wolves on the Border felt a tad more lived in but overall it's probably better to write about the little guys and let the reader imagine the crazy poo poo going on at the top that sets it all in motion.

I think there's room and necessity for both stories, but the majority of the novels should be on the smaller side of things. If you're constantly advancing the story it makes it hard for people to roleplay or pick a faction if there's a high chance you're going to axe it. The Republic of the Sphere was steadily gaining fans among older fans as more and more content came out for it, and then !boom! IlClan killed it off.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
e: Never mind

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Ignore the meta, never read the novels, play cool mechs that kick a guys head off.

Sometimes your mech has a skull on it! That poo poo is pretty neat.

If you start saying something about “Kerensky blah blah blah” during our game, I am going to punch your mechs face through its butt.

Stompy robots fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

aphid_licker posted:

The noble stuff always had this sorta old timey soap opera feel.

The genre is literally called "space opera" for a reason.

I'd be fine with them slowly advancing the timeline but only doing so from a variety of ground-level perspectives. I don't need Alaric Ward internal monologue #4198 to propel the plot along.