Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Rollsborne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
actually closer in spirit to the original demon's rolls

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

spider wisdom posted:

actually closer in spirit to the original demon's rolls

Well, the Vanguard Demon in the prologue was pretty chunky and had some rolls on him. Adjudicator had so many rolls he was immune to most direct attacks. Or are we talking more like bread rolls, here?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Started Project Phantasma over the weekend and wow what a huge jump in quality from the first game. Combat feels smoother, fights are instantly larger (though the slow down can be real). The inclusion of the Arena is a huge bonus and some of the fights are actually quite tough and require you to reconfigure your AC (anything with Quad Rifle Arms will murder you super fast).

Oh and they already implemented Arena Replays in 1997, with a zoomed out chase cam option.

And the missions now have cutscenes, voice acting and way more triggers. It's a huge improvement for a game that came out 4 months after the first game dropped.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 26, 2023

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Dark Souls 2 Gaiden: Pursuer’s Big Adventure.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

This could be a sleeper goty level game imo even in a year with Zelda, FF, RE4, Diablo.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Phrosphor posted:

Started Project Phantasma over the weekend and wow what a huge jump in quality from the first game. Combat feels smoother, fights are instantly larger (though the slow down can be real). The inclusion of the Arena is a huge bonus and some of the fights are actually quite tough and require you to reconfigure your AC (anything with Quad Rifle Arms will murder you super fast).

Oh and they already implemented Arena Replays in 1997, with a zoomed out chase cam option.

And the missions now have cutscenes, voice acting and way more triggers. It's a huge improvement for a game that came out 4 months after the first game dropped.

Gun arms in armoured core games are entirely "kill them well before they kill you first"

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ulio posted:

This could be a sleeper goty level game imo even in a year with Zelda, FF, RE4, Diablo.

This really is an incredible year for video games

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Phrosphor posted:

You're gonna love Master of Arena if Project Phantasma is blowing you away, then.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Project Phantasma Arena Experience:
https://i.imgur.com/yOqzEUd.mp4

Featuring 2k AC damage from the enemy as soon as the battle starts.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

i gotta wonder if there's any way we could do a master of arena netplay goon tournament over parsec or something, that'd be sick

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Phrosphor posted:

See, the arena was fun for me, (I loved the auto-missiles. Nothing like sitting still and just staring at your enemies until they explode), but I felt the rest of the game was a bit of a step down. The plot was less interesting, the more linear structure took away some of the fun gig based nature of game 1. No plot twists, no treachery, no branching, no big weird levels (even if those sucked sometimes). Just fighting the bad guy until you won.

It lacked some of the rough edges of the original, but those rough edges sometimes gave it character.

All that said, yeah. If Phantasma gave you that kind of thrill, you should love MoA.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Phrosphor posted:

See, the arena was fun for me, (I loved the auto-missiles. Nothing like sitting still and just staring at your enemies until they explode), but I felt the rest of the game was a bit of a step down. The plot was less interesting, the more linear structure took away some of the fun gig based nature of game 1. No plot twists, no treachery, no branching, no big weird levels (even if those sucked sometimes). Just fighting the bad guy until you won.

It lacked some of the rough edges of the original, but those rough edges sometimes gave it character.

All that said, yeah. If Phantasma gave you that kind of thrill, you should love MoA.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

mdct posted:

You're gonna love Master of Arena if Project Phantasma is blowing you away, then.

Armored Core: Project Phantasma: the Game: Arena: the game

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Ulio posted:

I think it's in the running, but its FROM's new game, I'm not sure it can be a sleeper anything.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

chiasaur11 posted:

Interesting, I have only done a couple of missions so far as the focus has been to get deep into the arena to make cash and unlock the unique modules available there. The missions I have seen have been a step up but it sounds like it has suffered a little by becoming linear. I will hopefully finish it tonight and move on to MoA.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
armored core has had signficant leaps in quality over it's lifetime, but my favorite will always be Last Raven for the non-linearity

tho it's ruthlessness is another winning factor

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

CottonWolf posted:

I think it's in the running, but its FROM's new game, I'm not sure it can be a sleeper anything.

Ya I think especially after ER, From's now on another level. Just for comparision. Sekiro gameplay reveal which was a new ip, the highest viewed video is around 2m, while the AC6 gameplay reveal for a niche franchise is at 5.6m. That is just nuts. That is a 2x jump. I am guessing just based on those kind of metrics it will most likely break Sekiro's 2m launch week sales, especially if the reviews are as good as Sekiro or even slightly less.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Sekiro itself beat sales expectations for both a new IP and From's previous track record, in retrospect probably because DS3's reception got them a lot of mainstream visibility. I could easily see AC6 being another Sekiro, but this time riding ER's coattails

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Ulio posted:

Ya I think especially after ER, From's now on another level. Just for comparision. Sekiro gameplay reveal which was a new ip, the highest viewed video is around 2m, while the AC6 gameplay reveal for a niche franchise is at 5.6m. That is just nuts. That is a 2x jump. I am guessing just based on those kind of metrics it will most likely break Sekiro's 2m launch week sales, especially if the reviews are as good as Sekiro or even slightly less.

Yeah, and those Sekiro numbers, boosted by Acti localization/marketing prowess, were considered a big success at the time. Sekiro, to this day, still sells for 60 bux new.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/kotobukiya_2han/status/1673511737600139265?s=46

https://twitter.com/kotobukiya_2han/status/1673511736065003523?s=46

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I want, like, something along the lines of 30MM but for Armored Core. Just slap together what parts you want.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Let's fuckin gooooooooo

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Give me some inverted joint or quad leg ACs! I want that trailer AC. Also this:

BisbyWorl posted:

I want, like, something along the lines of 30MM but for Armored Core. Just slap together what parts you want.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Nice Van My Man posted:

Give me some inverted joint or quad leg ACs! I want that trailer AC. Also this:

Didn't the gameplay reveal mech have chicken legs at some point?

Haven't seen any spider mechs yet though.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The mech being piloted in the initial reveal trailer was a quad, and the gameplay footage that shows the garage has reverse joints and quads in it.

It didn't highlight the quads so we don't officially know exactly what they do in this installment, but the reverse joints look like they're good jumpers again.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

MechaCrash posted:

The mech being piloted in the initial reveal trailer was a quad, and the gameplay footage that shows the garage has reverse joints and quads in it.

It didn't highlight the quads so we don't officially know exactly what they do in this installment, but the reverse joints look like they're good jumpers again.

I remember in the Gameplay Trailer seeing two whole seconds of quad legs posing for the camera, to show off locking the legs in an outright position while shooting down at MTs. The only bit of it where it emphasizes "Kill idiots stuck on the ground while you fly". While everything else was very ground boosty. Which could just be "Look we have enough of a budget to give different animations when flying vs basic boosting now!", and not better hovering than reverse legs to continue the eternal mockery of "Wow you JUMP better? Real relevant these days huh?"

Tanks deserve extra gimmicks because they are big boys that lead a hard life. But I would not be surprised if Quad and Tank are the only ones with a really notable gimmick to keep up "These are the legs easier to just kill poo poo with" now that Quad and Tank don't hold firing back weapons while moving hostage.

I would love reverse legs having a comparatively higher stagger and recoil compensation than bipeds. What good is a bigger jump if your landing without boosters is still rough?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 27, 2023

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Decon posted:

Didn't the gameplay reveal mech have chicken legs at some point?

Haven't seen any spider mechs yet though.

Yeah, sorry I should have quoted the model post I was trying to reference, but I'd like them to make a model/toy with different legs. They always seem to go with the normal old human legs for the toys.

I did get one of the AC2 blue AC toys back when that game came out... I wonder where I put it. It was pretty cool and very detailed.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I suspect they keep doing human-shaped legs because that's what they have the general molds for. They could do reverse or quad, but reverse would probably require them to figure out how to balance "looks cool" with "doesn't technically require a stand to stand upright," while quads would be relatively easy on "make stand," but they'd need to make sure things won't sag or whatever, to say nothing of extra fiddly bits because that's two more limbs.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I take it back, screw this guy:

It took over an hour of trying different builds and different weapons to finally get a win against him. He would quite often stun lock me to death as soon as the arena match started.

It was the first time the game has felt properly like Armored Core to me. Most of my time was spent in the Garage and the Shop, looking at different pieces of equipment, coming up with a plan, building it, testing it, trying it in the arena, going back to the drawing board and restarting.

In the end I had to rely on a triple missile launcher and an optional part that auto-launched your missiles the instant you got a lock. This meant I had one less button to worry about and could focus on evasion and letting my AC do the fighting for me (these controls man). Even with this build my first attempt was a failure because he caught me in his guns for over a second and I got stunned to death.

It is so satisfying to finally get the win after working so hard to discover a way to beat them.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

iirc reverse joint legs used to have comparatively low energy drain, so were good choices for energy weapon platforms as well. I think it was roughly:

Humanoid - whatever
Reverse - good jumping, low drain = death from above
Quad - cruise around on the ground a lot while blasting everything with shoulder cannons
Tank - slow and beefy but firing all the guns all the time

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Crazy Achmed posted:

iirc reverse joint legs used to have comparatively low energy drain, so were good choices for energy weapon platforms as well. I think it was roughly:

Humanoid - whatever
Reverse - good jumping, low drain = death from above
Quad - cruise around on the ground a lot while blasting everything with shoulder cannons
Tank - slow and beefy but firing all the guns all the time

Yeah, quads were fun because you could fire shoulder cannons while moving and they could jump really high, but I think they restricted melee and were incompatible with certain righthanded weapons or something. Of course Human Plus pretty much nullified their usefulness.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I never used tank much in the old games but good god you could load them shits down with hella rockets

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I never used tank much in the old games but good god you could load them shits down with hella rockets

Tank builds are basically "We gave you an insane amount of AP because you are going to be hit by everything. This is not negotiable. Put as many heavy weapons on that thing as you can and pray your enemies run out before your ammo and armor does."

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Phrosphor posted:

I take it back, screw this guy:

It took over an hour of trying different builds and different weapons to finally get a win against him. He would quite often stun lock me to death as soon as the arena match started.

It was the first time the game has felt properly like Armored Core to me. Most of my time was spent in the Garage and the Shop, looking at different pieces of equipment, coming up with a plan, building it, testing it, trying it in the arena, going back to the drawing board and restarting.

In the end I had to rely on a triple missile launcher and an optional part that auto-launched your missiles the instant you got a lock. This meant I had one less button to worry about and could focus on evasion and letting my AC do the fighting for me (these controls man). Even with this build my first attempt was a failure because he caught me in his guns for over a second and I got stunned to death.

It is so satisfying to finally get the win after working so hard to discover a way to beat them.

Having trouble this early?

Necron is going to eat you alive.

A tip? Your choice of arena can matter a lot for victory or defeat. Going to the underground cave can make fights much easier, especially against missile boats and fliers. It's like taking people to the garage in Master of Arena to beat them senseless.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Quads also actually have pretty good air mobility horizontally, but they have a ton of trouble actually getting off the ground in the first place, and they don't go vertical very well. Tanks can barely fly at all.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The reverse-legged AC in the gameplay preview did look more nimble than the initial human-legged build. I figure that'll be the basic concept - less weight capacity, more speed and agility for an ultra-skinny, ultra-zippy bugmech?

It'd be neat if they do include dodge iframes this time, though. They're fun.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1674039725634600961?s=20

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Darth Walrus posted:

It'd be neat if they do include dodge iframes this time, though. They're fun.

Dodge iframes are kind of at odds with the inevitable attrition you take in the middle of a mission in armored core (leading to costs and score reduction,) so I doubt it, but if they decide to approach that stuff significantly differently I don't see why they can't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpno3BctRY4

Official 4K upload of the gameplay footage