Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Arpanets posted:

I didn’t see any mention of Thinking Basketball with all the podcast talk, unless I missed it. It’s a little dry, but I generally enjoy the analysis. Is there something people don’t like about it?

Thinking Football is also a really good youtube channel to teach the X's and O's. Whoever is behind this network produces quality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

hifi posted:

I forget what it was but he was outrageously wrong on something this season too. Think he's enemy number 1 of reporters for suns fans

Most recently he was the guy who reported CP3 had been cut when he very much had not been.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

https://twitter.com/pompeyonsixers/status/1673019678711590915?s=46&t=Tbipe8zmCoOSqvNIZI8N0Q

https://twitter.com/kyleneubeck/status/1673025217105371142?s=46&t=Tbipe8zmCoOSqvNIZI8N0Q

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Doltos posted:

Thinking Football is also a really good youtube channel to teach the X's and O's. Whoever is behind this network produces quality

Oh I didn't know there was a football one, thank you

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Paracaidas posted:

Wolves podcaster extraordinaire Dane Moore has the Wolves at $5.85m below the tax threshold for use in resigning NAW or using the midlevel exception.

They could also free up $300k by replacing JMac with a vet minimum or $5.5m by replacing Taurean Prince with a vet minimum. Dealing Prince would be a risk (he's somewhat of a security blanket for Finch as a reliable bench piece), but if it enables them to resign NAW and pick up a point guard below the MLE (Carter? Smith Jr? Holliday? Vincent?) it's probably worth it. I think it all comes down to how the front office feels about Moore and Minott coming in to the new season (or the vet min SF market vs PG market).

Naz' signing also leaves the Wolves with full flexibility if they decide they need to trade beneath the 2nd apron after the season as Ant and Jaden sign extensions, with all three centers some degree of moveable while retaining high end depth.

Finally, also from Moore:
https://twitter.com/DaneMooreNBA/status/1673078621882265600

I hope they don't move have to move Prince but I think I'd rather have NAW and a backup PG would be far more useful if it's an either or situation. I like McLaughlin but he doesn't have the chops to be even a spot starter and with Conley's age not having someone who can step up in case of injury or load management seems like something they need to address.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

(Naz Reid)

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Hey that's awesome. Great deal for Naz.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

hifi posted:

I forget what it was but he was outrageously wrong on something this season too. Think he's enemy number 1 of reporters for suns fans

You may be thinking of the time when he was doing his sideline "reporter" gig on a TNT game just after Ishbia took over and announced that Isiah Thomas had been hired for a major role in the front office, which other reporters were practically leaving burnout clouds racing to Twitter to deny.

e:

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Most recently he was the guy who reported CP3 had been cut when he very much had not been.

lol that more than one recent "egregious Chris Haynes/Suns-related screwup" immediately springs to mind.

Porfiriato fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 25, 2023

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Porfiriato posted:

lol that more than one recent "egregious Chris Haynes/Suns-related screwup" immediately springs to mind.

When Booker made his playoff debut the first thing Haynes asked him about was that dumb double team in pickup “controversy.” I hate that guy lol

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Who broke the Suns group BJ story they gotta be the most plugged in

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I can't really put into words how happy the Naz deal makes me so instead I'll just say

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

i am a moron posted:

Who broke the Suns group BJ story they gotta be the most plugged in

The lady who gave the BJs.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Strawberry Panda posted:

The lady who gave the BJs.

Definitely the person most plugged into the situation (or at least, the most plugged).

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Definitely the person most plugged into the situation (or at least, the most plugged).

Lol unfortunately that's why I don't think they'll win. They traded away most of the players involved.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I watched The Town. Why would you watch this 4 times ever much less 4 times a week

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

Space Camp fuckup posted:

When Booker made his playoff debut the first thing Haynes asked him about was that dumb double team in pickup “controversy.” I hate that guy lol

Don’t remember this one?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

mildly annoying how when someone talks about "shooting" they are exclusively talking about threes.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

R.D. Mangles posted:

mildly annoying how when someone talks about "shooting" they are exclusively talking about threes.

agreed

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Zogo posted:

Jalen Brunson was 26 last season and #4 in WS (trailing only SGA, Luka and Lillard). He might be an underrated up-and-comer.

LBJ and CP3 will be the two oldest players in the league if AI2 is also done (now that UD is retired).

Donovan mitchell had 8.9 to his 8.7

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

R.D. Mangles posted:

At least until we get the Suns BJ lady her own podcast

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/Boogskrilla/status/1673064984249524229

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

I foresee him demanding a trade 15 games into the new season

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

R.D. Mangles posted:

I don't know about the rest of the NBA, but Ja Morant definitely agrees with you.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://twitter.com/JonKrawczynski/status/1673304745291796480
Well-reported story on Naz' resigning. The couple bits that stood out most to me:

quote:

As contract talks picked up again post-draft, sources familiar with the process told The Athletic, the Timberwolves and Reid were still millions apart. Then a call came from the top of the organization.

“Get it done,” owner Glen Taylor instructed his front office.

Taylor and his partners, Marc Lore and Alex Rodriguez, did not want Reid to get to free agency, where several teams were waiting and could offer the 23-year-old more money or more playing time and a bigger role. The three of them consulted with President of Basketball Operations Tim Connelly and head coach Chris Finch and came to the conclusion that they couldn’t let a player of Reid’s work ethic, skill level and desire to remain in Minnesota leave.

quote:

For Reid, it was a big win for a backup big man to get a significant contract even with Towns and Gobert in front of him. The player option allows him the ability to become a free agent in just two years, giving him another opportunity for a big contract before he turns 26 years old. That was clearly enough to ease any concerns about his role with Towns and Gobert on the roster ahead of him.

quote:

Reid was just days away from hitting the free agent market as one of the most coveted big men available. Teams like San Antonio and Sacramento had money and playing time to burn, but Reid chose to sign and stay in Minnesota.

That it was an ownership mandate is interesting (and reads a bit like Connelly covering his own rear end for the inevitable $100m worth of centers jokes), but the involvement of Finch in the discussion gives credence to the asides that follow:

Naz was most concerned, and almost certainly given assurances about, playing time. Short of injury and foul trouble, there aren't enough minutes in the game with both KAT and Rudy sitting... so get ready for drat near 48 minutes of 2 center basketball. What's not covered in the story (or most of the analysis I've seen) is how Naz was most dominant last year: He was the Wolves most effective counter for teams going small. With his handle and his shooting (3 point only, sorry Mangles), it seems like most folks assume he feasted on treated the Steven Adams of the world like a buffet but that really wasn't the case.

The Thunder playin game (with Naz and Jaden both out) was one of the first flashes of KAT and Rudy punishing teams trying to go small against them, but that was followed by a Nugs series where Denver feasted ravenously gorged with Jokic on the bench. One of the many reasons I'm excited by the move is that it maintains the Wolves' stylistic flexibility. I'm more bullish (sorry again, Mangles) than most on Ant, KAT and Rudy sharing the floor, but the wing versatility and retaining Naz should mean that if teams break from their ideal lineups to counter KAT and Rudy, the Wolves are able to shift themselves assuming their main lineup is unable to punish the counters.

A championship run still requires (massive continued growth from Ant and Jaden and) Rudy to finally feast on make a glutton of himself against small guys in the post while the rest of the Wolves rebound and prevent their men from getting to the hoop - or at least Rudy and KAT developing enough two man game that KAT can punish a wing in the post and feed Rudy when the lurker doubles - but there's consistent early round success possible from mixing and matching bigs to punish the weaknesses from other teams adaptations. Given that the Wolves haven't won a series since Ant was in diapers, I'll take it... and I'm coming around to the idea that Connelly and ownership made the Gobert trade wagering that second round exits meant more for Ant and Jaden's development and the team's future than intermittent late lottery picks from playin failures and sweeps from "successes" like last year.

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 26, 2023

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Hey that’s cool I appreciate the analysis stop typing feasted though please

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1673325473860820994?t=h5sOBcyyCg2hHiQBCvra3w&s=19

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

DeimosRising posted:

Hey that’s cool I appreciate the analysis stop typing feasted though please
Good catch, fixed those. Thanks!

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Paracaidas posted:

lmao

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

for anyone who doesn't want to click through to the article, Dame and Joe Cronin will be meeting early this week to discuss their roster construction so that's the next moment in time when absolutely nothing will happen; and then after the first week of free agent flurry, that's the next point in time when nothing will happen.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Paracaidas posted:

:golfclap:

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Aye Doc posted:

for anyone who doesn't want to click through to the article, Dame and Joe Cronin will be meeting early this week to discuss their roster construction so that's the next moment in time when absolutely nothing will happen; and then after the first week of free agent flurry, that's the next point in time when nothing will happen.
Can Miami really offer enough?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Fast Luck posted:

If Dame ever just says he wants to go they will probably trade him where he wants. Even if it means getting less back.

Also 3 team trades etc etc.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

there are some rumors the bulls might be in on Turkish player Onuralp Bitim on a two-way contract so it's obvious the bulls are BACK.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Fast Luck posted:

40 million in expiring contracts, 3 future first rounders and pick swaps. So yeah, they can

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Fast Luck posted:

would he be an upgrade over kyle lowry?

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Not sure what Miami gets out of trading for Dame. They've already got one star who doesn't care about working hard, now they're gonna add another guy who loves to run from the grind? It's just not how you build a winning culture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

the other posters answered this well already, but to add - Brooklyn can crush their offer easily, but Dame would have to want to go to Brooklyn