Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

One thing that I can say about desktop Linux versus Windows or Mac OS is that it is the one that has most dramatically and consistently improved. Most of the old pain points of desktop Linux have been gone for years at this point, and it is functionally equivalent to the other operating systems. Well, at least as far as current KDE is concerned - I haven't run xfce in a long time, and haven't run Gnome in forever, so I can't speak to other desktop environments with any authority.

XFCE has basically been 95% the same the entire time I've used it since 2008, albeit with some sanding off of edges. That's both its strength and its weakness. They seem like they're basically strained to the max keeping up with toolkit changes and trying to get over to Wayland (newer Linux backend for GUI rendering), anyway.

KDE is pretty good and is where I'll migrate if I have to switch to Wayland before XFCE is ready for Wayland. I've never been able to get GNOME 3 and using it has always been miserable for me. I don't click with Mac OS X in the exact same way. :shrug: It's just a different paradigm that doesn't work for me at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It looks like Microsoft got enough pushback on removing the options in File Explorer that they are going to roll those changes back:

https://www.techradar.com/computing/windows/windows-11-change-proves-so-unpopular-that-microsoft-reverses-course

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It looks like Microsoft got enough pushback on removing the options in File Explorer that they are going to roll those changes back:

https://www.techradar.com/computing/windows/windows-11-change-proves-so-unpopular-that-microsoft-reverses-course

This is why Windows will never drop all the legacy bloat. Sad

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Pvt. Parts posted:

This is why Windows will never drop all the legacy bloat. Sad

Legacy bloat is the only reason Windows is popular

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Any recommendations on good/useful computer clean up and tune up type software? It's been awhile since I put together a new PC and I'm not sure if those things are really required anymore. I used to use CCleaner regularly.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

MrMidnight posted:

Any recommendations on good/useful computer clean up and tune up type software? It's been awhile since I put together a new PC and I'm not sure if those things are really required anymore. I used to use CCleaner regularly.

Those things were never required or even useful in the first place.

Windows Disk Cleanup to free up space / clean out old temp files. Uninstall old programs normally when you have old unneeded programs. Don't install random crapware in the first place.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
And never underestimate the power of a clean install!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

In absolutely no circumstance should you use any of that third party junkware, especially CCleaner. Computers need very little maintenance these days. Ensure you have a SSD and enough memory (and not some cracker jack box Celeron processor or something) and do a clean install every couple of years if need be.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Alright sounds good to me! Only reason I ever used it in the past was because it was recommended by that old Tweakguides website. I just checked it out and it seems the guy who used to run it has fallen on hard times (Parkinson's). Anyway, thanks for reinforcing what I already thought!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

gourdcaptain posted:

XFCE has basically been 95% the same the entire time I've used it since 2008, albeit with some sanding off of edges. That's both its strength and its weakness. They seem like they're basically strained to the max keeping up with toolkit changes and trying to get over to Wayland (newer Linux backend for GUI rendering), anyway.

KDE is pretty good and is where I'll migrate if I have to switch to Wayland before XFCE is ready for Wayland. I've never been able to get GNOME 3 and using it has always been miserable for me. I don't click with Mac OS X in the exact same way. :shrug: It's just a different paradigm that doesn't work for me at all.

Yeah plasma is pretty good these days and gnome had been a spiralling poo poo show for like a decade and a half more

At least mate is alright

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Admittedly I also miss the days of shell replacements for 9x, blackbox or something? Browsing that and rainmeter configs on deviant art was fun

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah plasma is pretty good these days and gnome had been a spiralling poo poo show for like a decade and a half more

At least mate is alright

I abandoned Gnome when Gnome 3 was released, or slightly before, so like 2010-2011. Weird it's been so long now. :corsair:

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Admittedly I also miss the days of shell replacements for 9x, blackbox or something? Browsing that and rainmeter configs on deviant art was fun

Some of the Calmiras were maybe 32 bit? With a little bit of elbow grease, who knows what you can get working.

I had a patched version of progman that would work up to Windows 10. But then in Windows 11 it just bluescreens :(

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

kirbysuperstar posted:

At least mate is alright

What's the thing about KDE that has always annoyed me. Something about copy/paste?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I can't get over everything starting with a k and konsole is just really ugly

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

VostokProgram posted:

You're actually right.

I use KDE, and I think it's the best normal desktop option out of all of them 90% of the time (and gnome is garbage now. A lot of the reasons its garbage are actually similar to the reasons people complain about Windows, ironically.)

But K is just the ugliest letter.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

VostokProgram posted:

Exposure therapy. Play Mortal Kombat.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Exposure therapy. Play Mortal Kombat.

*shudder*

I got a nintendo switch to play the new zelda and nostalgia clicked on MK11, what the actual heck.

I like comedy 'k' sounds in the vaudeville tradition but it has some negative connotations too.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

What's the thing about KDE that has always annoyed me. Something about copy/paste?

VostokProgram posted:

Kopy/Paste?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I use KDE in like 90% of my private computer use, and I can't think of anything weird about copy/paste. :shrug:

I don't do a lot of customization on my desktops, but for the most part my Windows and Linux desktops are the same, to the point I can forget which one I'm booted into if I'm not careful. That's one reason I tend to theme Windows blue and Linux green - at least that helps me tell them apart. Well, and once I move something and the wobbly windows kick in. :swoon:

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
When I had dual boot, I had them about the same with all the same software mostly that i wouldn't notice which I booted until I typed traceroute in terminal and windows gets angry at me.

I mostly stopped having dual boot ever since windows 10 came out with wsl and good virtualization that anything I want to do on linux wsl is there or for more advanced, fire up a vm in hyper-v. But like I agree with making windows more user proof to idiots like osx/ios/android and have centralized software/hardware driver updates instead of 50 different websites for that.
however, removing advanced features that normal users don't even know where to turn on or making them only accessible in registry where you have to google as to where anything might be is idiotic, like other poster said another car analogy is. turning on sport mode or shift lock override shouldn't require disassembling the door frame, figure out which of the 200 buttons in the door frame are what for as they are unlabeled mostly aside from cryptic names and then plugging in an obd reader and changing bitcode, and if you got it wrong you bricked your car.

just like you brick your windows loving around in registry for mundane things that shouldn't be there.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
One of the greatest things Microsoft introduced with Windows was in 10 when they started including drivers with Windows Update.

I remember the days where a mate would regularly brick his Windows XP machine and it would take me all evening and a better part of the night getting everything formatted and configured. Obviously today's hardware is leaps and bounds beyond those days but the Device Manager Space Invaders clickfest was an awful time.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Is there a way to force the right click menu to show all the goddamn options and not like half of them with a show more option?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Maigius posted:

Is there a way to force the right click menu to show all the goddamn options and not like half of them with a show more option?

StartAllBack in the thread OP will do this

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Maigius posted:

In a pinch, shift right click

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Maigius posted:

I used this guide to edit the registry and restore the right click menu. I haven't had any problems.

https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-open-full-right-click-menu-by-default-windows-11/

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Maigius posted:

This thread's title is a reference to a solution to this in fact.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Maigius posted:

Shift + right click

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just downloaded the latest preview build, and choosing Hide for the search icon on the taskbar displays it, and choosing Search Icon Only hides it, lmao.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
I have a question. I'm used to setting up a local account in Windows 10 so I'd never have to use the default admin account for basic office use and internet browsing. Can I not do that in Windows 11? Currently I'm trying to do the same set up, but there are some things in Windows 11 that I can't affect in my local account, and it tells me to get permission from my admin instead.

Additionally, I find the UAC prompts different than Windows 10. In Windows 10, all I'd have to do when I want to install something or change a setting was type in the PIN associated with my admin account. In Windows 11 security prompt, it asks by default for the admin password instead of the PIN I set up. Sure, I could just click to sign in another way and get to enter the PIN then that way, but it's still one click extra and different than how it used to be.

Is this the normal Windows 11 experience, or are there settings I can change to resolve my problem?

god please help me fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 1, 2023

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

LuckyCat posted:

Just downloaded the latest preview build, and choosing Hide for the search icon on the taskbar displays it, and choosing Search Icon Only hides it, lmao.

Weird, it functions normally on both my machines

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

kirbysuperstar posted:

Weird, it functions normally on both my machines

It is weird, no idea. Not like it hurts me or anything, but funny nonetheless.

---

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
They are just leaving the door open to resetting it under the cover of fixing a bug.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Perplx posted:

They are just leaving the door open to resetting it under the cover of fixing a bug.

lmao if you think microsoft has to invent subterfuge to randomly turn on features you don't want to use.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

LuckyCat posted:

It is weird, no idea. Not like it hurts me or anything, but funny nonetheless.

---

Huh yeah. Wild. It did reset to the full box on my Surface actually.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Upgrading to windows 11 pro for my new computer. What do I need to know as a windows 10 user?

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Install linux.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Outpost22 posted:

Install linux.

Reported, advocating for self-harm.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
The only thing that’s really different is that the start menu is stuck in baby mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Perplx posted:

The only thing that’s really different is that the start menu is stuck in baby mode.

no that was windows xp with the teething toy start menu