Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Djarum posted:

Honestly? They probably had no idea they had any Anti Air outside of maybe some manpads at all.

It certainly proves that the Russian military and intelligence community are at the very least not sharing relevant intel. I’d venture to say they are incompetent entirely. Honestly I am just waiting for someone to just roll up on Moscow now.
Anybody up for a road trip?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

FuturePastNow posted:

I don't understand why an airborne command post was within SAM range of rebel troops at all, but... Russia

They made a similar mistake in the Georgian war as well.

RIA Novosti is now reporting that Shoigu has visited front troops in Ukraine today, so either he's alive or at least some of his body doubles are :tinfoil:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I assumed Kadyrov was holding off in case this turned out to be the real deal, and wanted to make sure he picked the winner

E; Relatedly I have to assume there are some very relieved rebels about the place who are deeply glad they couldn't get plans going before Prig backed down. Imagine you think this is it, Moscow is about to be a warzone, Putin is in the wind, the military is either defecting or standing down, so you issue the go order for the great revolt you've spent years preparing for... and then you hear Big P is turning his men around and moving to Belarus

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jun 26, 2023

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Ms Adequate posted:

I assumed Kadyrov was holding off in case this turned out to be the real deal, and wanted to make sure he picked the winner

This is absolutely what he was doing. He doesn’t care for Russia proper, he is first and foremost a Chechen leader. If it looked like Putin was going to fall, there’s no doubt he would use that opportunity to boycott any obligations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

RockWhisperer posted:

3. Domestic response was akin to first day of the 1991 August coup whereby people called in sick to avoid being associated with either side. Hence the police response.

Calling in sick to avoid being part of a coup ( at least by association) is hilarious to me. I had no idea that this happened.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Nenonen posted:

They made a similar mistake in the Georgian war as well.

RIA Novosti is now reporting that Shoigu has visited front troops in Ukraine today, so either he's alive or at least some of his body doubles are :tinfoil:

Or it's canned undated footage

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
is the mobile command post the thing they only had like 6 of, and a drone took another down last month, or was that something else

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Meow Tse-tung posted:

is the mobile command post the thing they only had like 6 of, and a drone took another down last month, or was that something else

That was an AWACs radar plane.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
If it was so obvious that Prig didn’t have support to actually go all the way to Moscow even with no resistance up to where he got, why did Putin balk and skip town for a sec?

To me that says that Putin either A) is getting worse intel than previous accounts or B) he believes his situation is precarious.

Neither of those is good for him even if he technically “won” on the surface of this.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

whydirt posted:

If it was so obvious that Prig didn’t have support to actually go all the way to Moscow even with no resistance up to where he got, why did Putin balk and skip town for a sec?

To me that says that Putin either A) is getting worse intel than previous accounts or B) he believes his situation is precarious.

Neither of those is good for him even if he technically “won” on the surface of this.

One of the earliest events the Internet Research Agency was involved in was a social media campaign that used sockpuppets to create the impression that a large chemical plant in Texas had exploded (2014, i think).

It had not exploded, but social media chatter successfully duped mainstream network news to report it.

Now, a similar campaign could have happened during this March toward Moscow. Seems likely, even. It could have aimed to decieve western media, or Russian leadership, or enlisted Russian soldiers, or...

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1673195607148707842?t=4BvWVlPJESiuPUJFA5GHHw&s=19

In any event in your life, just sternly watch through a window

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1673235044540854272?t=54xB8BlCNWo_bO847l0_VQ&s=19

Also, things are still crazy, apparently

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

RockWhisperer posted:

Yeah, the lull in development is giving oxygen to some wild speculation (I'm guilty of speculation too but less grand stuff imo). I'm sticking to reading from my favorite sources since the war began now.

Appears Moscow is still on heightened alert and Polish MP anticipates purges according to the BBC. Will be worth seeing if security measures are extended past Monday.

*MEP

as polish politicians go, he's pretty astute and is relatively likely to have his finger on the pulse of things, but it's still basically punditry

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

whydirt posted:

It is not clear Putin actually left. His plane did, but i imagine sometimes his plane can go elsewhere without him on it, as it’s not like it is his only means of escape - and if he actually was fleeing a conquering rebel army I imagine he wouldn’t want to be in his regular plane with its transponder on.

It’s bad for Putin yeah, but a lot of things that "definitely happened" are still just rumors, like him leaving town or the bridges near Moscow on the M4 that were supposedly blown up, but which don’t show up as affecting traffic on Google Maps and which don’t have any clear photos.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I'm relatively up to date on what's happening in Ukraine, but everything I'm seeing is the attempted insurrection by Wagner is very bad for him. Meaning bad for Putin politically, or bad for his chances in Ukraine? If the former, are there any early best guesses at who is next in line, or what even happens? My knowledge of Russian politics is basically:

Putin, who's held onto power for more than 20 years.
Medvedev, who is a strong ally of Putin and basically stepped in to lead when Putin couldn't for legal reasons.
Navalny, who is in prison.

I understand that there are a lot of people at various 3 letter agencies and the US State Department working around the clock, just wondering if there's been any reporting on it thus far.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Shooting Blanks posted:

If the former, are there any early best guesses at who is next in line, or what even happens?

Legally, in any event of Putin going away, it is prime minister Mikhail Mishustin. After that, it is pure speculation and would heavily depend on the events unfolding. So far, Mishustin and Sergey Sobyanin, mayor of Moscow, have been the wishcasted dove choices because both have been trying to present themselves as smart, professional people for the past year.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Saladman posted:

It is not clear Putin actually left. His plane did, but i imagine sometimes his plane can go elsewhere without him on it

actually, little known fact, it's powered by his mutant abilities

fatherboxx posted:

Legally, in any event of Putin going away, it is prime minister Mikhail Mishustin. After that, it is pure speculation and would heavily depend on the events unfolding. So far, Mishustin and Sergey Sobyanin, mayor of Moscow, have been the wishcasted dove choices because both have been trying to present themselves as smart, professional people for the past year.

is mishustin the Most Boring Man In Russia, ie a competent technocrat with no discernable power base, or am i getting my putin left hand men mixed up?

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jun 26, 2023

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

fatherboxx posted:

Also, things are still crazy, apparently

At this point I’m not ruling out that Prig will turn around and go back to Moscow for a second time, if Putin backtracks his decison to let Wagner off the hook.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm relatively up to date on what's happening in Ukraine, but everything I'm seeing is the attempted insurrection by Wagner is very bad for him. Meaning bad for Putin politically, or bad for his chances in Ukraine?

Are there any scenarios where having a military rebellion is good

To be less flippant, there was nothing protecting Moscow aside from beefed up police that would get rolled. This will likely mean that Putin needs to pull troops from the from to protect Moscow and another potential coup attempt

quote:

If the former, are there any early best guesses at who is next in line, or what even happens?

He's a deranged grandpa that surrounded himself by morons, the only person that's competent might come through a military/secret service rebellion

Lol can't wait for the "Napoleon coming back" headlines that turn more and more positive every day when he's on march to Moscow number 2

Somaen fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jun 26, 2023

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Google Jeb Bush posted:

is mishustin the Most Boring Man In Russia, ie a competent technocrat with no discernable power base, or am i getting my putin left hand men mixed up

Yep, former head of Tax service

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
Probably the best assessment I have heard regarding events of the past few days. https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/geopolitics-decanted-by-silverado/id1614010500

Dmitri presses the point that it was a mutiny, not coup. Prigozhin had no intention of overthrowing or replacing Putin, and that saving Wagner (and himself) was the goal.

He says Putin was forced to make a deal with Prigozhin mainly because the Russian Army was either unwilling or unable to stop him, and letting Wagner roll on through Moscow was not something Putin was willing to let happen.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

whydirt posted:

Let's not forget above everything it makes him a coward. If you're the leader of a nation and you're not willing to die in the defense of it, you have no right to ask other people to lay down their lives for it either. But I guess that's more philosophical than anything relevant.

This probably doesn't matter much, but to anyone high up it definitely says all you need to know about him.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jun 26, 2023

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

whydirt posted:

The question of whether or not Prigozhin could take Moscow is something I'm unsure of myself (if units stood aside and let him pass, like they had been doing up to that point, who the hell knows), but I do feel it's pretty certain that Prigozhin doesn't have the inherent support, legitimacy, administrative backing, and loyal security services necessary to take over and rule as Supreme Leader of Russia. Yes, he could shoot Putin off the throne, but then what? How many knives would be waiting to sink into his back now that he proved it's possible? Without Putin's developed connections in his the security services, how could he ensure the loyalty of the power players of Russia? Hell, for that matter, how would he ensure that the security services won't be the ones to stab him in the back? Meanwhile all of Russia would be extremely aware that he wasn't elected to his post, but took it through raw, open violence. They might have tolerated Putin - would they tolerate Prigozhin? Especially because his rhetoric was that he was here to purge the corruption in the Ministry of Defense so they could fight the Ukrainian war right. Do you think Prigozhin is actually capable of turning the situation in Ukraine around? What happens when he fails to do so in a timely fashion?

So long term the odds of him surviving a stint as Ruler of Russia are pretty bleak. But short-term, if Prigozhin is barreling down on your capital at top speed and yelling rhetoric about changing presidents, are you willing to gamble that he isn't an overambitious idiot with eyes bigger than his stomach? Even if Prigozhin takes over and promptly crashes and burns as ruler of Russia, that's still cold comfort for Putin in his grave.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Someone was interested in how pundits would react to Prigozhin's half-coup. Here's Simonian with some thoughts on why charges against him should be dropped.

quote:

Legal rules are not the Commandments of Christ or the Tablets of Moses. They are written by people to protect law and order and stability in the country. And if in some exceptional critical cases it turns out that they stop fulfilling their function and perform the opposite function, they can bog off.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Dick Ripple posted:

Probably the best assessment I have heard regarding events of the past few days. https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/geopolitics-decanted-by-silverado/id1614010500

Dmitri presses the point that it was a mutiny, not coup. Prigozhin had no intention of overthrowing or replacing Putin, and that saving Wagner (and himself) was the goal.

He says Putin was forced to make a deal with Prigozhin mainly because the Russian Army was either unwilling or unable to stop him, and letting Wagner roll on through Moscow was not something Putin was willing to let happen.

Can anyone else comment on whether this podcast/person is worth listening to? Not calling you out OP just wanted another opinion.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Boris Galerkin posted:

Can anyone else comment on whether this podcast/person is worth listening to? Not calling you out OP just wanted another opinion.

haven't listened to the podcast but am familiar with his role in things over the last 20 years and he's not at all some rando. he gets really, really good guests on that podcast

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Geopolitics Decanted is fairly credible, just very US MIC adjacent.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Geopolitics Decanted is cool and good.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Dick Ripple posted:

A mutiny whose leaders go unpunished seems like it would just keep brewing. Prig isn’t suddenly toothless just because he’s in a neighboring country, he’s just their problem now.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
From NYT reporting on Lukashenko's role comes this gem:

quote:

The conversation between Mr. Lukashenko and Mr. Prigozhin was “very difficult,” said Mr. Gigin, who this month became the director of the National Library of Belarus. “They immediately blurted out such vulgar things it would make any mother cry. The conversation was hard, and as I was told, masculine.”

GRR, MANLY

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Release the tapes!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

EasilyConfused posted:

GRR, MANLY
Good to know that we’re not the only country with absurd wannabe strongmen

It’s the same thing as all of those Trump stories

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

EasilyConfused posted:

GRR, MANLY

Diss tape is real

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

Sort of from the another side, what are people’s opinions on Mark Ames? It seems like his expertise is really just on being an expat in Russia in the 90s and 2000s, but due to that and him saying the sort of stuff they want him to say, internet lefties just kind of assume he has some special insight into Russian politics or domestic affairs. And then of course there’s all the Exile stuff.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Dr.Radical posted:

Sort of from the another side, what are people’s opinions on Mark Ames? It seems like his expertise is really just on being an expat in Russia in the 90s and 2000s, but due to that and him saying the sort of stuff they want him to say, internet lefties just kind of assume he has some special insight into Russian politics or domestic affairs. And then of course there’s all the Exile stuff.

he has exactly as much insight into russian politics as anyone else who did massive amounts of coke in moscow in the 90s

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
See that’s what I’m saying. I recently saw someone I know on Facebook say something to the effect of “I just listen to Mark Ames when it comes to anything about Russia and even he has no idea about this Wagner thing!” And I’m just thinking, “Well yeah. Why would he know anything about this?”

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Dr.Radical posted:

He's a creep, sex pest and alt media grifter.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

zetamind2000 posted:

Diss tape is real

There's no justice in this world if the transcripts of that conversation go unreleased.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Ames and Gary Brecher can make some very convincing arguments that prove to be totally wrong

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Dr.Radical posted:

Absolute moron head deep into anti-anti brainworms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BungMonkey
Sep 7, 2000

Mmm... Mulched baby...

Dick Ripple posted:

This was informative, thank you.

Dmitri's interpretation of Putin's motivations doesn't make any particular sense to me, but he gets Prigozhin's motivations obviously right, which is better than I have seen any other public analyst do. He covers a lot of epistemology on the subject I didn't know about, especially around Putin's general political cowardice.