Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

bravesword posted:

It’s not new; it’s just a supercut of the three-video supercollider series he did previously.

I realized this after starting it but then proceeded to watch it all again lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Captain Invictus posted:

some magic stuff

The Professor breaks down the incredibly confusing, 1990s-baseball-cards-style flood of different products for the new Lord of the Rings MTG set and which ones can and cannot contain the 1 of 1 serialized The One Ring card. it is indeed incredibly confusing to someone who isn't very familiar with MTG products, likely intentional by WOTC.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luz6BXJI3hE&hd=1

Rhystic Studies, one of the best MTG youtube channels who does incredibly deep dives on specific cards, concepts, settings and characters of MTG, just released a 32 minute video about the infamous Chaos Orb, one of the most infamous magic cards of all time and also the source of one of the best nerd urban legends of all time(told in the first couple minutes of the video), the "Chaos Confetti Play"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dDLQkg5O1o&hd=1

The One Ring is the dumbest ploy by wotc in a while, and that's including those fancy expensive reprints of cards that you can't use as legal proxies for those same cars making them loving useless to ever even purchase in the first place so why do they exist, wizards, why would you ever do that! Why do they routinely expect people to seriously bring cards worth thousands, sometimes even tens of thousands, of dollars to a tournament to play if they want to play them, cards they occasionally still support but refuse to ever reprint and generally really shy away from ever allowing proxies of. They don't even profit from nerds selling their expensive cards! But, right, The One Ring. It's got like a million dollar bounty on it, and a bunch of magic nerds are so excited for this they've been eagerly talking about what properties wotc should do this with next, like a full 1 of 1 set of the infinity stones from marvel or some poo poo, and the hype for it all is really disgusting. Wizards should not be able to literally just print a card for like, ten cents, that's just worth a million dollars because they say so.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 25, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
on the other hand, a one of one version of the one ring that people are willing to kill each other over is extremely on brand for the one ring

it also looks really cool with raised gold etched foiling on it, but since they showed what it looks like in a livestream a million counterfeits instantly manifested into existence lol

for real though it's not that big a deal. the one ring exists as a normal card and can be found in regular boosters, the 1 of 1 version is only in collector packs, there's no reason to freak out over it. it's a pretty brilliant marketing play, and even when the real one does get found, there's still the 300 elven rings, 700 dwarven rings, and 900 human rings to find, so the chase continues even past that.

let the people going nuts for expensive limited run versions of regular cards do that, it just means more packs get opened which in turn means the overall cost of most cards goes down for regular players. outside of a few exceptions(sheoldred, wandering emperor, etc), most rares and mythics that are important for most decks from recent sets are very affordable, and it's almost entirely because of the glut of rares and mythics that collector and set boosters vomit forth.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 25, 2023

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
It's not that cool though given how it's absolutely turbo hosed the prices of packs that, allegedly, contain the card even more so than the markets for new sets usually are. They're basically loving over their entire consumer base for the sake of the hype and marketing towards the growing market of online streamers and gamblers who treat magic as an investment rather than a trading card game. The argument that everyone should just wait to feed on the scraps of everyone who could afford these bloated prices after opening day and they pick out everything of value is kind of weird and hosed up.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
The CCG market in general is still pretty hosed from the pandemic days, isn't it? I remember seeing MTG prices around then and just going "lol nope"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nuebot posted:

It's not that cool though given how it's absolutely turbo hosed the prices of packs that, allegedly, contain the card even more so than the markets for new sets usually are. They're basically loving over their entire consumer base for the sake of the hype and marketing towards the growing market of online streamers and gamblers who treat magic as an investment rather than a trading card game. The argument that everyone should just wait to feed on the scraps of everyone who could afford these bloated prices after opening day and they pick out everything of value is kind of weird and hosed up.

the packs that contain the one ring are a subset of all the packs of lotr mtg cards. you can still buy a pack of regular lotr cards for mostly the regular price (I think it's a buck us more for licensing fees, which is not insignificant), way less than the collector packs that could contain the 1/1 one ring (which contain the same cards just with fancy collector treatments*)

*yes i'm skipping over commander because lol gently caress commander.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nuebot posted:

a few things: the LOTR stuff was already priced higher than previous sets on average, like, set boosters and stuff were already going to be like 3-4 bucks more per pack than the last few sets, but regular boosters are overall not that expensive. the collector box prices are going insane because of the one ring, yes, it's true, but because people are cracking those en masse, the price for nonfoil/non-showcase LOTR rares and mythics is very cheap, with the most expensive stuff being the one ring itself and orcish bowmasters(a ridiculous card highly desired for many formats). only those two cards are more than $15, and that's only a few days after release, the price will drop further over time as more stuff gets cracked. also, they will be releasing a second run of collector boosters for LOTR that WILL NOT have serialized cards or a chance at the 1 of 1 one ring, so if you want to crack collector versions of the set at not insane prices, wait for that to drop.

and no, it's not really weird and hosed up to say that people opening the more expensive stuff that are overstuffed with rares means the price of those rares drops because the market gets saturated. I distinctly remember the days of going into the card shop and seeing EVERY SINGLE DESIRABLE CARD for standard being 20-40 dollars a pop, mox diamonds, sliver queens, gaea's cradles, etc, those were all crazy expensive and impossible for a kid like me to afford. but now I can easily build competitive decks for like 30-40 bucks. poo poo, the sheer glut of showcase versions of incredibly crucial cards during the Throne of Eldraine standard era like Bonecrusher Giant, Murderous Rider and Lovestruck Beast meant they could be had for 2-3 bucks a pop.

and if all of that still isn't good enough for you, just loving proxy what you need. there's plenty of etsy, alibaba, and reddit proxymakers who make cards virtually indistinguishable from the real thing. so long as you only plan to use them as game pieces and not try to sell them as the real deal(I recommend marking all proxies on the back to avoid them being resold) you can get all the proxies you might want for like 50 bucks.

Shinji2015 posted:

The CCG market in general is still pretty hosed from the pandemic days, isn't it? I remember seeing MTG prices around then and just going "lol nope"
it's cooled considerably. there's been a bit of a crash of vintage products too, like during the early days of covid Mirage booster boxes were approaching like 7-10k for a sealed box, despite not even possibly containing enough to make it worth that, but now they're down to like a couple grand.

new product pricing can be loving wackadoo crazy though, because WOTC stopped providing MSRP for mtg products, so prices are just Whatever The gently caress People Will Pay now.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 25, 2023

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Captain Invictus posted:

new product pricing can be loving wackadoo crazy though, because WOTC stopped providing MSRP for mtg products, so prices are just Whatever The gently caress People Will Pay now.

:stare:

Why

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Thanks for this, the twitter thread was what I had in mind which explains why I couldn't locate it in the first place lol

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

*whispering* "just print proxies with mpcfill if you want to play magic, there's no virtue in giving hasbro money"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Here’s a video about the search for the original backrooms photo from a promising new video creator interested in the history of liminal spaces media:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxkvmsEzvAY

Look for a very brief cameo by SA here, though I’ve been on the forums since I was in high school and I don’t ever remember seeing the backrooms photo in any of the creepy picture/video threads, though I do remember the other stuff mentioned.

Is the SA sagas thread still around? Maybe we could play a part in this search and contribute to internet culture again.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

There’s a whole new incarnation of it. The last one was goldmined after some plague rats got outed for what got them perma’d.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I've been told that even some Targets have stopped selling Magic stuff because even before The One Ring things had gotten so wild people were stealing them so much that there just wasn't any point in ordering them for the store.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m not watching all of it, so I don’t know it devolves into weird bigotry stuff, but the algorithm just served up this video by someone, presumably born in 2005, who is treating doug and channel awesome as a historical artifact he is just now discovering and wants to share with others:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAdfGeP7cTs

I’ve gotten used to people saying that they grew up watching Lindsay, so that doesn’t make me feel old any more, but I don’t like that there are adults making internet videos who see her as ancient history to be uncovered. Just wait until he finds out about Kickassia.

EDIT: it’s a summary of every nostalgia chick video, in order. No argument, nothing skipped over. I guess he grew up watching Quinton.

I AM GRANDO fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jun 25, 2023

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

I AM GRANDO posted:

Is the SA sagas thread still around? Maybe we could play a part in this search and contribute to internet culture again.

It's now a cliquey chat thread for some reason

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You can post there if you want too.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

I AM GRANDO posted:

Here’s a video about the search for the original backrooms photo from a promising new video creator interested in the history of liminal spaces media:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxkvmsEzvAY

not a comment on the quality of your linked video, but I got recommended a video by Virtual Carbon who is featured there and made it 23 seconds before deciding he's the least intelligent of any youtuber.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That pic has a deeply disturbing backstory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEtLMJ8TFLY

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

CelticPredator posted:

That pic has a deeply disturbing backstory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEtLMJ8TFLY

https://youtu.be/3dvj3JIIxhI

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

fez_machine posted:

Cause people love drama. There are still a bunch of good sagas in the various threads, but if you want a stolid recounting of SA history, then an SA Forum thread is not the ideal setting for that task. Start another wiki!

Grassy Knowles posted:

not a comment on the quality of your linked video, but I got recommended a video by Virtual Carbon who is featured there and made it 23 seconds before deciding he's the least intelligent of any youtuber.

How do you take "Rich Evans went to a pizza place" and stretch it to over 30 minutes?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Skippy McPants posted:

Cause people love drama. There are still a bunch of good sagas in the various threads, but if you want a stolid recounting of SA history, then an SA Forum thread is not the ideal setting for that task. Start another wiki!

How do you take "Rich Evans went to a pizza place" and stretch it to over 30 minutes?

Sagas thread is good and feel free to post there! the chat is because without it people start to get weird and helldumpy. Rhino made a ppt(x?) that’s in the op and goes over it well.

He doesn’t even say Rich Evans (“the funny child in a t-shirt”). I thought it was a joke because he actually uses a 1 sec clip of adult rich evans being gifted a dick the birthday boy shirt, but nope just goes straight into the first segment explaining showbiz pizza.

Edit: also the specific photo request being made would fit better in the Lost SA Stuff Thread

Edit2: also maybe the what’s your white whale thread, or there’s an internet stuff thread too

Grassy Knowles fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 25, 2023

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Skippy McPants posted:

idk but it probably involves Five Nights at Freddy's somehow

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

idk but it probably involves Five Nights at Freddy's somehow

I’m sure you’re eventually correct. He says that Rich is pictured with an animatronic (which is untrue, as someone who went to a few showbiz birthday parties the picture is of the costume humans wore at Showbiz). There was no chance of me watching more than the few minutes he got me with, but the last half of the video is a chapter named Erratas so y’know just the most generic well-trodden poo poo

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

fez_machine posted:

To be fair, every thread's a cliquey chat thread now. Or maybe it's just this one and the other. I don't really pay attention.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Grassy Knowles posted:

Sagas thread is good and feel free to post there! the chat is because without it people start to get weird and helldumpy. Rhino made a ppt(x?) that’s in the op and goes over it well.

Sagas brought us the Some Plague Rats scandal. That alone justifies its existence.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Where is the Sagas thread?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

YggiDee posted:

Where is the Sagas thread?

In PYF, it's currently the "Legends" thread.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Nuns with Guns posted:

To be fair, every thread's a cliquey chat thread now. Or maybe it's just this one and the other. I don't really pay attention.

Nowhere me and mine post like here or there is cliquey, it’s just where the others post all the way over there that’s cliquey.

You and I, Nuns, we can walk two worlds.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Grassy Knowles posted:

Nowhere me and mine post like here or there is cliquey, it’s just where the others post all the way over there that’s cliquey.

You and I, Nuns, we can walk two worlds.

now that's what I call a saga

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Another wonderful, long retrospective from I Finished A Video Game, this time on the Indiana Jones games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PbXyoS6wUU
I hadn't realized that the guy that made the ill-fated Atari E.T. game had made a successful Indy game on Atari just before.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

I AM GRANDO posted:

I’m not watching all of it, so I don’t know it devolves into weird bigotry stuff, but the algorithm just served up this video by someone, presumably born in 2005, who is treating doug and channel awesome as a historical artifact he is just now discovering and wants to share with others:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAdfGeP7cTs

I’ve gotten used to people saying that they grew up watching Lindsay, so that doesn’t make me feel old any more, but I don’t like that there are adults making internet videos who see her as ancient history to be uncovered. Just wait until he finds out about Kickassia.

EDIT: it’s a summary of every nostalgia chick video, in order. No argument, nothing skipped over. I guess he grew up watching Quinton.

A summary of someone's summary of old movies. We've finally come full circle. I can't wait for someone's summary of Quinton's iCarly summaries because that's where this is headed

summary

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Happy Landfill posted:

A summary of someone's summary of old movies. We've finally come full circle. I can't wait for someone's summary of Quinton's iCarly summaries because that's where this is headed

summary

72 hours of dryly recapping Quinton's series

goons: it's just background noise when I game hah hah

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Grassy Knowles posted:

I’m sure you’re eventually correct. He says that Rich is pictured with an animatronic (which is untrue, as someone who went to a few showbiz birthday parties the picture is of the costume humans wore at Showbiz). There was no chance of me watching more than the few minutes he got me with, but the last half of the video is a chapter named Erratas so y’know just the most generic well-trodden poo poo

Oh yeah Erratas, that goofy concept I remember BlameitonJorge doing a simple 15minute video about a few years back.
(Meawhile I know that word to mean: effect updates to YGO cards)

Could be worse. He could be mentioning the Basilisk.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I didn't recall seeing these posted here but Grimbeard made some amazing Resident Evil 1 parody cutscenes a while back that I just remembered:

https://twitter.com/grimebeard/status/1648871182387789824

https://twitter.com/grimebeard/status/1649085473003028480

https://twitter.com/grimebeard/status/1649606945555509250

https://twitter.com/grimebeard/status/1649946205458403328

https://twitter.com/grimebeard/status/1659108507948384257

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Thumbnail looks like an Animorphs cover

thedangergroove
Nov 14, 2004
Long for karate day.

These were amazing. That voice acting works so well with AI fuckery.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm tired of youtubers calling literally everything disturbing. Super Mario Bros 64 is not disturbing, it's a game for 8-year olds.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I'm tired of youtubers calling literally everything disturbing. Super Mario Bros 64 is not disturbing, it's a game for 8-year olds.

a disturbing trend for sure

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

206 disturbing video game facts read to you in the ticktock robot lady voice.

Number one: in the game pong...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

This trend of chasing SEO terms is... Distressing.