Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Moltke posted:

based on what we saw the BIW do to tabitha, i'm not even sure victor's mom didn't make it.

i'm really wondering if they're gonna find tabitha's body in fromland next season or not

The lighthouse is in a different location so I'm not sure why his mother's body would've ended up near the tree again. But it's not like Victor elaborated as to the apparent cause of death.

Maybe it was something like...

BIW: Sorry, this is the only way... stab stab stab
Also BIW: Whoops. Well... back to the drawing board!

Edit: Tabitha should've shouted "the only way to what, you little poo poo?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Moltke posted:

1. yes donna and hippie are both moles (hippie praying to god as a taunt in colony house and donna showing up when boyd was asking for a higher pwer). donna is a BIW tier player, hippie is there to either push donna or taunt her

Where in this episode did we get confirmation that there is a mole at all, and that it's Donna and Tilly? I don't understand the dots you're connecting.

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Where in this episode did we get confirmation that there is a mole at all, and that it's Donna and Tilly? I don't understand the dots you're connecting.

specifically the scene where the old lady is leading a prayer circle and the camera keeps cutting back to donna's reaction, whose face is doing contortions. then boyd is in the church building demanding that if there is a higher power, that it reveal itself. donna shows up again with perfect timing.

old lady is sus and i've been warming up to the donna is more than she seems theory lately.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I have no idea what's going on anymore, and I'm pretty sure the thing with the torch wasn't consistent across the season but whatever, maybe next season won't be as wonky.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't know why Crime Websites are so slow at uploading new eps of this show in particular but I'm about to cancel my subscription

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I would think if the mole plot line was real they would at least have dropped an obvious breadcrumb in the season finale. My take on the Tilly prayer scene was just that Donna thinks prayer is pointless.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Donna just looked tired and sad in that scene.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The gently caress is BIW

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It's like MIB, but upside down.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Boy in white.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i am cutting up laughing right now at boyd "i gotta go"ing to the wedding.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I can’t believe they actually had Boyd shout out “I gotta go!” in the finale. I loled.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

When you gotta go, you gotta go.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Boy in white.

Which, in a way, is an upside-down men in black.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
when murder man slashed the throat for a second I thought he was another evil-whisper-listener. nope, just snapped with a rude perspective they force on others like Boyds wife.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I loved Kenny's speech about being threads in a sweater. How they might not be the ones who get to leave but how the work they do might help someone in the future.

So maybe they should start a town journal with everything they've learned. And maybe they should make copies, and mandate that any weird thing that happens needs to be reported and written down.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oops!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

xerxus posted:

I loved Kenny's speech about being threads in a sweater. How they might not be the ones who get to leave but how the work they do might help someone in the future.

So maybe they should start a town journal with everything they've learned. And maybe they should make copies, and mandate that any weird thing that happens needs to be reported and written down.

No, they just need to make sure a traumatized child survives and is able to make cryptic drawings of things he half-remembers once he’s about 50 years old. Otherwise it won’t be any fun for the new people.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I, too, subscribe to crouching Donna, hidden Donna.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Thinking about about that ending not referencing that she was found after a car accident or anything, but rather chilling unconscious on a hiking path. Likely that they are avoiding having her whole family still alive but in a coma somewhere which leads me to think she's probably tripping balls in a hallucination within a hallucination.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’m gonna need one of those expert savant geoguessers to look at the last shot outside the window of the hospital and tell us where it’s at. If some dude can be shown a picture of a patch of dirt on the ground and guess correctly that it’s in some small village in Kyrgyzstan then this should be a piece of cake.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Spiteski posted:

Thinking about about that ending not referencing that she was found after a car accident or anything, but rather chilling unconscious on a hiking path. Likely that they are avoiding having her whole family still alive but in a coma somewhere which leads me to think she's probably tripping balls in a hallucination within a hallucination.

I definitely took it to be she fell out of where she was pushed from the lighthouse, including out of the cursed bubble altogether. She landed back outside the rim of Wherever and she can now be the only one trying to get everyone out from the outside.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

So the psychic realm is a basement you can physically enter if you light a specific torch in the right place? This show really does feel like a point-and-click adventure game sometimes. The guy with the shotgun certainly delivered his lines like he was in Phantasmagoria or Harvester.

I was really expecting the landscape out the window at the end to match what Tabitha sees from the top of the lighthouse, except with a city on it. I guess Victor’s mother never made it out of the top, or the glass can be repaired.

Maybe she fell on the stairs where some kid left their toy car and crap

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

What were all the kids chanting constantly? I feel like it would be recognizable played backwards.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

What was the hospital name? It can’t have been an accident, I recon,

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

opengl posted:

What were all the kids chanting constantly? I feel like it would be recognizable played backwards.
The subtitles spelled it "anghkooey" I think

Fun finale, interesting directions to go in, and after the frustration of a lot of this season I'm glad they didn't introduce a bunch of new characters.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

opengl posted:

Ankhooey

Hospital was Saint Anthony

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

One thing I've been wondering about in the opening credits (which slap, by the way) is why one of the drawings is done in a different medium. Every other drawing in the credits is made with crayon, but one of the last ones shown is of a naked man and woman with a clawed hand reaching out for them done in what looks like acrylic paint.

It seems fairly certain that the two people are Ellis and Fatima and the hand represents whatever evil is manifesting itself in the town, but I'm curious as to why its painted instead of in crayon. Its also done in a childlike style but still looks quite different in the way things are depicted than in Victor's and his sister's drawings.

My dumb speculation on it is that its actually a future illustration after their kid gets stuck in the town - either as some kind of sacrifice to whatever entity they awakened to let everyone else go or everyone else dies - and becomes a second Victor. As Ellis is an artist, he could teach his child to use other mediums than crayons but the kid is still young enough that they don't have the rendering skills yet. I'm probably way off base and looking at something really insignificant too closely, but its fun to speculate on what this could mean.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Solid finale for a solid season. Really liked it.

Was the cave room directly below the hole that Tabitha was digging? Cause IIRC after S1 someone on reddit noticed the symbol pattern in how the house debris was shaped when looking up from the cave. May have been just an easter egg though.

Old Woman Island
Feb 21, 2011

No I think the cages and the kids were the last things she saw in the cave after wandering around

Old Woman Island fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jun 26, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Chip McFuck posted:

One thing I've been wondering about in the opening credits (which slap, by the way) is why one of the drawings is done in a different medium. Every other drawing in the credits is made with crayon, but one of the last ones shown is of a naked man and woman with a clawed hand reaching out for them done in what looks like acrylic paint.

It seems fairly certain that the two people are Ellis and Fatima and the hand represents whatever evil is manifesting itself in the town, but I'm curious as to why its painted instead of in crayon. Its also done in a childlike style but still looks quite different in the way things are depicted than in Victor's and his sister's drawings.

My dumb speculation on it is that its actually a future illustration after their kid gets stuck in the town - either as some kind of sacrifice to whatever entity they awakened to let everyone else go or everyone else dies - and becomes a second Victor. As Ellis is an artist, he could teach his child to use other mediums than crayons but the kid is still young enough that they don't have the rendering skills yet. I'm probably way off base and looking at something really insignificant too closely, but its fun to speculate on what this could mean.

Don’t we see that drawing of Ellis/Fatimah in their room? I thought there was a scene where Julie was looking at it when she first moved into the Colony house. It was painted by Ellis, who used to be an artist until the show forgot.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Ankhooey

Hospital was Saint Anthony

Ankhooey... en CUI... in ICU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

Ankhooey... en CUI... in ICU

Someone floated "oncology" itt and I'm gonna laugh so hard if it's gonna be that.

Some impressions I got:

- they emphasized the name of the hospital and even created CGI for the hospital town. Not an American, but the scenery looked kinda unusual, like the hospital was built on a huge hill or something. Maybe the town will be a major setting next season? Like a Silent Hill situation where places exist both in real and a horror reality?

- the writers are not doing explicit misdirects, but they are toying with us a little bit. The symbol was presented with ancient Lovecraftian cult undertones in S1, using the cave paintings. But it was revealed to just be a random pattern of tree roots.(wonder what tree that is. Could it be the bottle one?). Same goes for the civil war soldiers, which turned out to just be from a story. Wouldn't surprise me if the entire mythology of the show is set in modern times and it all started in the 1970s. Cave paintings could be some kids drawings.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

St. Anthony, patron of lost souls.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I hope she's out for real because it's much more rare to see stories of people trapped in a magical location while someone on the outside tries to solve the mystery with resources they couldn't get on the inside; revealing that they're actually still trapped, just in a different way from usual, is a pretty common horror trope, I think, so I'm kind of tired of that.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I really like what Wayward Pines did with this idea, but it was an exception to the rule.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Spiteski posted:

My assumption is that she's out - and now she's got to figure out a way to either get back in or at least communicate so that she can tell the others what happened to her. Obviously then there's got to be some reason why they can't all just climb the lighthouse and leave, but that's a problem for much later. If I were writing the show, I'd probably not even have her appear again until the last episode of next season, where you reveal what she's been doing this whole time and leave "will she get back (or make contact) as a plot for the season after.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Are you sure it was the fact that she fell off the lighthouse that freed her and not just that she fell and died?

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Boris Galerkin posted:

Don’t we see that drawing of Ellis/Fatimah in their room? I thought there was a scene where Julie was looking at it when she first moved into the Colony house. It was painted by Ellis, who used to be an artist until the show forgot.

Ah, you're totally right! Went back and watched a couple episodes of the first season to check and its painted above Julie's bed in colony house. I haven't seen season one since it was released so that detail must have slipped my mind.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

Are you sure it was the fact that she fell off the lighthouse that freed her and not just that she fell and died?

Seems like hundreds of people have died in the town over the decades. Would be a big deal in the real world if hundreds of people who vanished suddenly just reappear under mysterious circumstances months later and are all telling the exact same story about a creepy horror town. Mulder and Scully would be on the case and someone from the current characters would have heard about it somewhere.

Like, one or two people making it out over the years would make sense(like the bus driver's grandma who taught her the nursery rhyme). But not hundreds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

GABA ghoul posted:

Seems like hundreds of people have died in the town over the decades. Would be a big deal in the real world if hundreds of people who vanished suddenly just reappear under mysterious circumstances months later and are all telling the exact same story about a creepy horror town. Mulder and Scully would be on the case and someone from the current characters would have heard about it somewhere.

Like, one or two people making it out over the years would make sense(like the bus driver's grandma who taught her the nursery rhyme). But not hundreds.

I'd suggest that it's different if you get harvested by monsters but that'd just be guessing.