Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

more like 'farty members'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Augus posted:

why would they buy party members at full price?

Because they've been playing one too many Blizzard games.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

The only exceptions I make for this are Kojima Productions and Fromsoft

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

the whole point of hobbies is flushing cash down the toilet to make yourself feel good.

So yea i spend 90bux on the special edition of D4 that's almost the cost of one whole Warhammer 40k Rogal Dorn Battle Tank, so d4 is basically free.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
part of the fun of the steamdeck is lolling every time it plays a modern game (ac valhalla)

the cryo utility pagefile ram really pwns for lowest frametimes

guide that i was basing it off of result

Homeless Friend has issued a correction as of 09:15 on Jun 26, 2023

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Buddykins posted:

I like how Master Miller went from being a minor off character in the first to a major player in the entire series

He was in metal gear 2. The 'master miller' in metal gear solid is revealed to be liquid snake I think. Then he's in peace walker and V

Buddykins posted:

the patriots are basically everyone that goes to the bohemian grove irl

this also gets retconned. its just Para-Medic and Zero and Sigint and EVA I think. And Ocelot

Para Medic turns out to be super evil and makes the ninja cyborgs maybe.

its not easy to remember the twists and turns

edit: gently caress yeah

quote:

Para-Medic, real name Dr. Clark, was a member of FOX in the 1960s, serving as a medical adviser to Naked Snake during Operation Snake Eater. Afterwards, she became one of the founding members of the Patriots, a key member in the Les Enfants Terribles project, and later, the chief of FOXHOUND's medical staff until her death.

In 1999, Dr. Clark was the scientist in charge of placing Big Boss into an artificially induced coma, following his defeat by Solid Snake in Zanzibar Land. She was also responsible for reviving Gray Fox by encasing him within a cybernetic exoskeleton and used him as a guinea pig to test her gene therapy techniques. During the next four years, Dr. Clark and her team kept Fox drugged while they experimented on him, the results of which were used in the creation of the Next-Generation Special Forces.

she's solid snake's mom, but not biological mom obv he's a clone with a japanese donor b.c vulcan raven says he's japanese in solid

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 09:23 on Jun 26, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Homeless Friend posted:

part of the fun of the steamdeck is lolling every time it plays a modern game (ac valhalla)

feh, graphics cards, who needs em, right?

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Real Mean Queen posted:

Is portable ops worth checking out? I've been going through peace walker again on the deck and having a great time with it, definitely open to another smaller metal gear

it has its moments but peace walker does pretty much everything better.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The coolest thing about Portable Ops is if you take out bosses non-lethally you can recruit them and play as them, and some have unique stats or abilities. That would have been a neat system to see in Peace Walker and MGSV.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
yeah that part was cool. you also got different cutscenes for it.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

MGS owns and I'm both sad and relieved we'll never get another one

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

my bony fealty posted:

I finished it today and feel satisfied. Apparently there are multiple endings depending on your playstyle, plus a secret one you have to unlock on a second playthrough? But I feel like it put a bow on everything well enough to leave it be.

The story is supposed to be open to interpretation I reckon, there's various paths it could take between "everything is real and its a time loop and somehow the robot teleports to another planet" to "nothing is real and it was all Alina's dream." The cancer metaphor sticks out pretty hard so I gotta favor "dying dreams of irradiated psychic cancer woman" for most of what happens.

Yeah I'm not sure what exactly was going on, although I like the idea that it's Elster's dying brain endlessly looping as she tries to fulfil her promise to Ariane which she originally refused to, with the degrading surroundings a sign of her physical dying. But then bioresonance is a thing I don't really understand that might be in play in a more literal sense. Plus Falke had absorbed Elster's memories and I haven't really considered what that's about.

Regardless I absolutely love it on an emotional level. So beautifully directed. So sad. I'm going to play it again straight away which I never do.

snoremac has issued a correction as of 13:09 on Jun 26, 2023

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
The opening of Signalis up to the title banner is incredible. What even comes close?

https://youtu.be/YhWZ3-3szig

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

is d4 working again i was forced to play more totk today and the game was like congrats you get a mech!! and i was like :fap: oooo sweeet :fap: but then i tried doing combat with it in a long slog of a mission>boss fight it makes u do and it controls like a friggin edf gimmick stage and does less damage than my sword gently caress this

Yeah as cool as the mech and the machines you can build like it are, they don't really do a ton of damage. You can build war machines that look like you're going scorched earth on the enemy camps, but each cannon shot only does like 10% health damage to the goblins you're shooting.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 375 days!
do you really have to always be online to play diablo

lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

tenderjerk posted:

lol

it's a bad mmo in arpg trappings

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fuligin posted:

Xiv has some great food descriptions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnNvD6FMi18

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://fineleatherjackets.net/monkeyinflation

Inflation's a bitch

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

honestly saying to keep it under 40 bucks is pretty permissive if you're only getting indie or mid-level games (or games that are a few years old)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

tenderjerk posted:

lol

Diablo 3 on the PC still requires you to be online all the time. That was actually one of the reasons why I stopped playing it after 2015: my computer was slow enough that I'd frequently hit a timeout-and-disconnect whenever I hit a loading screen, which often meant I could never actually complete any of the game's endgame activities.

they learned their lesson with the console versions: you can play them completely offline

and then they un-learned that lesson with Diablo 4, because now the console versions, which are cross-play enabled with the PC, are also always-online as well

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

yeah drat you could even treat yourself to the occasional first-party Switch game

good rule is still good

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i very rarely buy games that cost over $20, and i don't remember when i last spent more than $40 on a purchase

indie games don't ask for more, aaa ones don't deserve it :shrug:

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

I only pay full price for fromsoft games. A lotta games nowadays take a couple patches to be playable anyway plus there's just so many games and i have a backlog of stuff to go through.
Been considering getting sf6, though, because the playerbase will probably drop off pretty soon and then it will just be a core of impossibly hard maniacs brutally defeating me

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)
my boss at work said d4 has the best plot of any Diablo game and like Lilith as a villain

not enough enthusiasm for me to spend money on it, but now I’m at least curious enough to YouTube the cutscenes

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I paid $70 for the new final fantasy. Haven't been disappointed by the game yet.👍

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I don’t play a ton of games these days so I don’t mind paying full price for a game every 2 or 3 months

shame about Diablo 4 though, definitely got burned there

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Hatebag posted:

I only pay full price for fromsoft games. A lotta games nowadays take a couple patches to be playable anyway plus there's just so many games and i have a backlog of stuff to go through.
Been considering getting sf6, though, because the playerbase will probably drop off pretty soon and then it will just be a core of impossibly hard maniacs brutally defeating me
Same, except first party Switch games where there's no choice, though Zelda was the first one I bought in a long time anyway.

Don't know if it's my age or the diminishing quality of major titles but I rarely get the urge to buy anything day one anymore, From excepted. I'm surprised I still haven't got God of War Raganrok or RE4 remake, two games I definitely want to play but not so eagerly I can't wait until they're a nice bargain.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Red Baron posted:

my boss at work said d4 has the best plot of any Diablo game and like Lilith as a villain

not enough enthusiasm for me to spend money on it, but now I’m at least curious enough to YouTube the cutscenes

I watched them yesterday
The demon Kerrigan goes crazy cause she is overwhelmed by motherly emotions then gets put in turbojail by her angel husband
She breaks out and becomes the queen bitch of sanctuary then at the end she has to be killed by the players

It's pretty standard blizzard women poo poo

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Most games I buy these days are indie titles and if I can I wait for a good deal. Now that I finally have my dream emulator setup I've been emulating a lot anyway (see: me talking about Dark Cloud 2 to nobody in particular for like two months)

Mr Hootington posted:

I paid $70 for the new final fantasy. Haven't been disappointed by the game yet.👍

Same with Zelda :)

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
steam deck runs doom eternal at a decent clip

if your game can't do that then that's what we in the business call a "skill issue"

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

the milk machine posted:

im only just getting the gang together but ff6 is really neat, the art and music in the remaster is great

never played this one back in the day so it’s fun

it's a good game and one of the most significant in the series but I also think it's valuable to go into it without a rosy nostalgic veneer influencing everything

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I don’t play a ton of games these days so I don’t mind paying full price for a game every 2 or 3 months

shame about Diablo 4 though, definitely got burned there

My man the diablo 4 train wreck was pretty clear after the beta.

I don't think any other game released this year will be worth $70 except starfield if it works.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm playing Titan Quest again for some reason.

The reason is that it still rules after all this time.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

People who think zelda: TotK has a deep and interesting story are saying final fantasy 16's story is bad.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
maybe this is the cope speaking but Starfield is going to bomb

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
no interest in Baldur’s Gate 3?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

RealityWarCriminal posted:

If it looked like anything more strenuous than Fallout 4 in space I'd be inclined to give it the benefit of the doubt, but there's nothing in the previews that make it look like an 8 year development cycle that was meticulously planned which means it's was actually like 6 years flailing in pre-production and then the last 2 spent crunching trying to turn a bunch of assets into a game

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

RealityWarCriminal posted:

i seriously can't think of a more generic title than "starfield". please help me think of a more generic title

that sucks, it deserves better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Koirhor posted:

no interest in Baldur’s Gate 3?

I am interested in this game