Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I like Smollet's Don Quixote translation. It's not perfect but it comes together nicely and feels like an eighteenth-century novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Free versions of Count of Monte Cristo are poo poo; the only good english translation is the modern one, victorian era translations are heavily bowdlerized.

Yeah, so they wouldn't be downloading the book of Project Gutenberg now would they?
:smuggo:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

rollick posted:

three books by Tobias Smollett (who he?)

yet somehow none of them are The Adventures of Peregrine Pickle smh

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Interesting . . .compare with the top 100 free books on kindle:

https://www.amazon.com/Store/s?k=top+100+free+kindle+books+best+sellers&rh=n%3A133140011

When the kindle first came out, the top 100 free list was all classics everyone has heard of -- dracula, jane austen, etc. My guess is that the free ebook market may be "maturing," in that everyone who was going to buy an e-reader and finally crack open Dracula or Pride and Prejudice has done so, and now it's more the people who are finally getting around to reading Tobias Smollett

Yeah it definitely seems to fluctuate. Someone posted the monthly list in a reddit thread from 12 years ago.

The Kama Sutra of Vatsyayana by Vatsyayana (31862)
The Song My Paddle Sings by E. Pauline Johnson (23683)
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (22497)
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (18720)
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (18684)
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (14894)
How to Analyze People on Sight by Elsie Lincoln Benedict and Ralph Paine Benedict (14738)
Ulysses by James Joyce (13752)
The Art of War by Sunzi (13543)
The Bible, Old and New Testaments, King James Version (11656)
Novelas Cortas by Pedro Antonio de Alarcón (11538)
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain (11157)
The Notebooks of Leonardo Da Vinci — Complete by Leonardo da Vinci (10900)
A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens (10733)
The Time Machine by H. G. Wells (10121)
Secret Adversary by Agatha Christie (10091)
Grimm's Fairy Tales by Jacob Grimm and Wilhelm Grimm (9970)
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas (9957)
The Complete Works of William Shakespeare by William Shakespeare (9467)
War and Peace by graf Leo Tolstoy (9449)

There's more classics in the older list. The only three to still be in in the top 20 are Pride and Prejudice, Alice in Wonderland, and the Complete Shakespeare:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'd assume foreign classics downloads are depressed by using bad, antique translations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I always assumed the top download list would just reflect what just got out of (American) copyright. But then I never looked into what the list actually looked like, thus making an rear end out of u (somehow) and me.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Anyone have a link to a certain short story posted on these here forums a while ago? It's written in the form of a wikipedia article and is about the first consciousness/personality uploaded to a digital format. It's a horror story. Please and thank you!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Anyone have a link to a certain short story posted on these here forums a while ago? It's written in the form of a wikipedia article and is about the first consciousness/personality uploaded to a digital format. It's a horror story. Please and thank you!

This is almost certainly "Lena" by qntm.

For future reference, we also have an identify that book thread which may get more eyes on it for questions like this.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

ToxicFrog posted:

For future reference, we also have an identify that book thread which may get more eyes on it for questions like this.

This is it, perfect, thank you.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/RachelConnoll14/status/1673339563756990466

Another story about the insane vitriol of book social media. The obvious fix for this specific problem is that goodreads should not, obviously, allow reviews for unreleased books but since that is the preferred usecase for much of its audience, I don't see that changing.

Why is this such a big problem in the book (specifically YA writing) world? My theoryis that it's a crab bucket mentality, there are a lot of fanfic writers out there who want to be Cassandra Clare and are envious of anyone's success.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Goodreads has traditionally loved reviews for unpublished books, to give them a boost right out of the gate. They even have giveaways. I’ve gotten a couple through it.

Review bombing is gonna happen no matter when you allow reviews in.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Other sites (Steam, Metacritic) have protocols for review bombing. They need one as well. Start manually deleting the motherfuckers.

Also, YA Twitter is wild lol. I've read about another YA scandal recently and it was amazing how stupid it was:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HobbyDrama/comments/13k7z3b/books_that_time_a_popular_author_signed_other/

Megazver fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 26, 2023

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

I highly suggest everyone reads it, it's quite good.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Megazver posted:

Other sites (Steam, Metacritic) have protocols for review bombing. They need one as well. Start manually deleting the motherfuckers.

Also, YA Twitter is wild lol. I've read about another YA scandal recently and it was amazing how stupid it was:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HobbyDrama/comments/13k7z3b/books_that_time_a_popular_author_signed_other/

lol the volunteer librarian corps is already so overworked you'd think a megarich company like Amazon could afford to hire a few hahaha sorrry sorry nm

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bad link, anyone care to paraphrase?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Bad link, anyone care to paraphrase?

Which one are you blocked by, the author or the New York Times?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ras Het posted:

Which one are you blocked by, the author or the New York Times?

Well it's a bad link because it's Twitter, but it's also a bad link because it won't let me read the article. It's bad bad.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Here's a direct, non-Twitter link that should work even if you're not a NYT subscriber.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

quote:

The occasional critical pile-on might not be a bad thing for Goodreads itself. As a social platform, part of what Goodreads is offering is conversation and user engagement, and controversies and debate can drive more comments and time spent on the platform.

:thunk:

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Megazver posted:

i found the writing of that post unbearably smug and felt like i'd stepped back 20 years in internet writing style YMMV

*edit*

also, i though the behaviour was irritating and tacky but pretty harmless as far as things go, people bought the books and wanted them customised by their favourite (terrible) author. on par with having jeans custom distressed or a car custom wrapped.

branedotorg fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 27, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Thanks.

E: I think I've only ever gone to Goodreads (via a Google search, so not really gone there but ended up there) after I've read something. Can't remember why, maybe to check if I was just too stupid to "get" a book.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jun 30, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
anyone got a good pro strat for getting through Shakespeare stuff that wasn't required reading in school?

I read Romeo and Juliet as everyone does. And The Taming of the Shrew, Hamlet, Othello. Saw bits of the Richard III Ian-McNutty movie and Pacino documentary. Watched but did not read Henry V with ken bran

was curious about Tempest, Much Ado, Midsummer Nights. I know the Merchant of Venice plot and the famous shylock speech but not why say Portia is so special

wondering what the best way to tackle it while still getting the context would be

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Go see a production of it. And watch Throne of Blood.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Watching can be easier than trying to power through Elizabethan English on the page, yeah.

There are recent-ish (well, if you count the mid-1990s-early 2000s as recent) movie versions of all of the plays you name except for The Tempest.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah, the secret hack for Shakespeare, like Austen, is watching a production of the play, especially if possible one set in Shakespearean era without excessive modernizations.

Past that, get an annotated edition of the play with lots of footnotes to explain as much as possible, and read the footnotes.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I liked listening to this lecture series;

https://www.wondrium.com/william-shakespeare-comedies-histories-and-tragedies

It’s covers fifteen plays, two or three lecture per play, half hour lectures. I like it because he uses each lecture to do a little bit of talking about the plot, and a deep dive into a theme or technique across his plays that’s exemplified here.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Alternatively, reading in good editions helps a lot. Too many people grab like a cheap public domain complete works edition that has something like the Johnson or Hazelett essays as an editorial apparatus and then die when they try to read it in a bible-style layout, or those godawful Signet ones that have like 6 pt font on what feels like rejected newsprint, or like a used Norton Complete Works which is a brick to carry around and has some pretty extreme text density.

I'm a big fan of the Folger Shakespeare Library editions. They have a nice, easy-to-read page layout, with facing notes (i.e. the text is on the right and the notes are on the left) and each scene has a quick synopsis included. Plus there's good additional apparatus - explanatory essays, historical context etc. And they're not too expensive. I think new they're like $15 per.

Read Cymbeline and definitely DO NOT watch the movie (Ed Harris in the title role), which is probably the worst adaptation of literally anything I have ever seen.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

...lark

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I wanted to thank those of you here who recommended my wife read Jade City. She hasn't finished the book yet, but she's at the point where a conversation with her usually goes "and then maybe I'll squeeze in extra time to read my book."

She likes it a lot. Since she's very offline, she has no idea anything about the book. Meanwhile, I can't help but compulsively learn things about it so she has someone to talk to. Two of her favorite IPs are The Godfather films and the Yakuza games, so she's feasting good.

"I like Lan a lot, but Hilo is my favorite because he has Majima energy."

She's about half way through the book now.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Mordiceius posted:

I wanted to thank those of you here who recommended my wife read Jade City. She hasn't finished the book yet, but she's at the point where a conversation with her usually goes "and then maybe I'll squeeze in extra time to read my book."

She likes it a lot. Since she's very offline, she has no idea anything about the book. Meanwhile, I can't help but compulsively learn things about it so she has someone to talk to. Two of her favorite IPs are The Godfather films and the Yakuza games, so she's feasting good.

"I like Lan a lot, but Hilo is my favorite because he has Majima energy."

She's about half way through the book now.
Thanks! That was probably me because I will recommend Jade City at the drop of a hat.
The sequels are also very good, in slightly different ways.

I am holding back from saying more!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

StumblyWumbly posted:

Thanks! That was probably me because I will recommend Jade City at the drop of a hat.
The sequels are also very good, in slightly different ways.

I am holding back from saying more!

I mean, I don't mind spoilers, I've read a brief summary of all the books just so I can know what she's talking about when she wants to gush about them. She's about 40 pages out from the death of Lan. And she has no idea it is coming.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Has there even been a Let's Read of Great Expectations? I just started it and was wondering since it was originally serialised. I couldn't find one, I wonder if it'll be a good idea?

I used to read a lot and I kinda fell off it a year or so ago and the only things I managed to read was with read-alongs.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Alan Smithee posted:

anyone got a good pro strat for getting through Shakespeare stuff that wasn't required reading in school?

I read Romeo and Juliet as everyone does. And The Taming of the Shrew, Hamlet, Othello. Saw bits of the Richard III Ian-McNutty movie and Pacino documentary. Watched but did not read Henry V with ken bran

was curious about Tempest, Much Ado, Midsummer Nights. I know the Merchant of Venice plot and the famous shylock speech but not why say Portia is so special

wondering what the best way to tackle it while still getting the context would be

You might be able to find productions on Youtube or similar. Shakespeare is very much not meant to be read - it is supposed to be heard.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I... I just learned that one of my favourite authors died nearly a year ago. Some fan I am.

Hilary Mary Mantel passed away on 22 September 2022, but before she did she created a number of works that still resonate with me including Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies and A Place of Greater Safety.

Should you wish to honour her the first of these is a fine place to start.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Just me, or has Amazon severely limited their look inside availability?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FPyat posted:

Could be; none of the books I've looked at for like ½ a year have had anything. (I thought it was just due to what books I was looking at.)

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

FPyat posted:

Some of them have a read sample button underneath the image of the cover. I didn't notice it until recently because I'm so used to looking for the look inside graphic with the arrow.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

This entire collection of stories in this edition of The Loneliness of the long distance runner are incredibly bleak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The more Le Carré I read, the more I think: "this guy really wished he was Graham Greene (or, possibly, Vladimir Volkoff)". They're fine, and I could obviously be wrong, but still.