Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Ynglaur posted:

I thought Shoigu was with Putin in the St Petersburg days. I could swear I heard that in The Russia Contingency at some point.

No Shoigu has been part of national government for longer than Putin has. He’s been a minister of some sort since post-communism started actually and he only moved to Moscow around a year before he became part of national government.

He was briefly Putin’s deputy prime minister and was the original (nominal) head of united russia so he is a close Putin ally but shoigu has lasted as long as he has due to an intense ability to please the elites around him. This is also the reason why Russia was so unprepared for the war since Shoigu would let the oligarchs plunder and embezzle from the army to please them than falsify the reports to please putin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
It seems more and more like the troll factories and whatnot in Russia are actually the Russian Intelligence defense because it was cheaper than to actually try to control their own flow of information but it all backfired and now not even the top doesn't know what information is correct or not.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
https://twitter.com/maxfras/status/1673310178756706307

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I mean, given the Rapid Onset Window Gravity of Russians who displease Putin I'd say that's a smart move.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Great overview of the Russian voenkor ecosystem that grew parallel to the official propaganda machine, mostly on the Prigozhin payroll

https://twitter.com/Alexey__Kovalev/status/1673329448425254912?t=z7oNV-464jb2rhEvlOszpQ&s=19

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Hannibal Rex posted:

He's a creep, sex pest and alt media grifter.
To elaborate, he and Taibbi both cop to regularly sexually harassing their staff at The eXile in the 90s, routinely pressuring the teenage women on staff into anal sex by threatening their jobs, raping teenagers, and coercing partners into having abortions by threatening to kill them. After decades of profiting from these tales, they quickly distanced themselves, claiming both their memoir and every page of the eXile were obvious satire and parody depsite repeated pronouncements otherwise. It's unclear if allowing the notorious Russian fascist Edward Savenko (Liminov) to wax poetic in their pages about the ethnic sexual merits and deficiencies of women was also 'satirical'.

In :nms: spoilers below, I've copied Ames' tale bragging about raping a 15 year old ("Right [when I was told her age] my pervometer needle hit the red. I had to have her, even if she was homely.”) and his subsequent ongoing mockery and abuse of her in print.

“When I went back into the TV room, Andy pulled me aside with a worried grin on his face. ‘Dude do you realize…do you know how old that Natasha is?’ he said.

“‘Sixteen?’

“‘No! No, she’s fif-teen. Fif-teen.’ Right then my pervometer needle hit the red. I had to have her, even if she was homely.”

After they do it, she tells him she has a three-month-old baby.

“It was hard to imagine that Natasha had squatted out a baby,” Ames writes. “Her oval office was as tight as a cat’s rear end….I’d slept with mothers before—they’re a lot wider. Sex with them is like probing a straw in a mildew-lined German beer mug.”

Later he learns that she’s lying—she has no baby, but rather is four months pregnant. After she has an abortion, he writes about her in the Exile, suggesting that she be sterilized and awarded “one of those cheap trophy cups with the inscription ‘World’s Greatest Mom.'”

This is also why anyone who only stopped fawning over Taibbi after the Twitter Files should be regarded with extreme suspicion and anyone citing Ames at all can gently caress off.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

No Shoigu has been part of national government for longer than Putin has. He’s been a minister of some sort since post-communism started actually and he only moved to Moscow around a year before he became part of national government.

He was briefly Putin’s deputy prime minister and was the original (nominal) head of united russia so he is a close Putin ally but shoigu has lasted as long as he has due to an intense ability to please the elites around him. This is also the reason why Russia was so unprepared for the war since Shoigu would let the oligarchs plunder and embezzle from the army to please them than falsify the reports to please putin

Yeah. He's been an early Putin ally since 1999/2000, but he wasn't part of the even earlier Peterburg group that comprises most of Putin's inner circle. He may be the only member of that circle who doesn't predate Putin's presidency, I'm not sure.

Here's an assessment from 2019:

https://ridl.io/meet-russia-s-saviour-in-chief/

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1673336685717864456

Really disappointed that no one thought of this thread title.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Hearing disturbing reports that pizza has gone woke

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

ummel posted:

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1673336685717864456

Really disappointed that no one thought of this thread title.

The NY Post will never be distracted from its main mission of giving Republicans content to share on social media regarding the latest woke attacks on our American way of life.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Dick Ripple posted:

Dmitri presses the point that it was a mutiny, not coup.

Heh. I was reminded here of something from a decade or so ago where some officers in a country in Africa (Mali?) were pissed at the president (coincidentally, over how he was handling a war) and headed to the capital to tell him off. The president panicked and fled, and there they were, in the palace, having executed a coup they never planned to do.

Seeing stuff in retrospect, it doesn't sound so straightforward, but I'm still not convinced that uprising was a coup from the start. I'm trying to remember finer stuff from, say, Robert Duncan's Revolutions podcast where people just kind of found themselves holding the reins after everybody vacated. It can definitely happen.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Paracaidas posted:

Mark Ames Sex Crime Dossier
Thanks for this - his name always kept coming up in my peripheral vision as a 'Russia expert' that some people love to cite, so its good to know this is his background.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
CNN is saying Priggy has released an audiotape explaining why he backed down and thanking Luka for mediating. But doesn't say where he is. Kind of odd to release an audiotape in 2023 when literally everyone has a video camera in their pocket that can take 4K video.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Charliegrs posted:

CNN is saying Priggy has released an audiotape explaining why he backed down and thanking Luka for mediating. But doesn't say where he is. Kind of odd to release an audiotape in 2023 when literally everyone has a video camera in their pocket that can take 4K video.

He did it during the wild ride as well, it just seems like how he does it.

e: He's a 62-year old man.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What the gently caress don’t read that spoilered part. Jesus Christ.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Randarkman posted:

He did it during the wild ride as well, it just seems like how he does it.

e: He's a 62-year old man.

drat, being a cook and orchestra director takes a toll. Dude looks at least 70.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Charliegrs posted:

There's a summary translation here https://twitter.com/Faytuks/status/1673341974882004994

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

alex314 posted:

drat, being a cook and orchestra director takes a toll. Dude looks at least 70.

Well, he's Russian.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Charliegrs posted:

Releasing a video is a quick way of getting geolocated and then hit by artillery.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Already got a "every X" video on the Wagner rebellion https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BwEaSHIw3I

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Here's a former KGB agent calling the government "weak" on state TV

https://twitter.com/VladaKnowlton/status/1673337534435274752

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Icon Of Sin posted:

A mutiny whose leaders go unpunished seems like it would just keep brewing. Prig isn’t suddenly toothless just because he’s in a neighboring country, he’s just their problem now.

So I want to point out that this isn't historically true. In the modern day we tend to think of mutinies as dramatic events where the mutineers violently throw off all claim to outside authority to strike their own course entirely, but this is actually a relatively recent development. More commonly, mutiny is in effect a form of protest against current conditions. Roman plebs for instance were well-known for mutinying - refusing to muster to battle - at critical times to force patricians to make important political concessions. In the pre-Napoleonic Royal Navy, memories of the Bounty notwithstanding, most mutinies were in effect strikes (itself a naval term - to "strike the yards" means to bring down the yards the sails are attached to, and to "strike" was to refuse to put them back up again so that the ship can sail until your demands are met) where the mutineers declared that their current condition was intolerable and that the officers had to meet their demands or the sailors would refuse to work - barring an emergency, of course. Importantly, the mutineers commonly did not fundamentally DISAGREE that the captain, officers, and admiralty had a right to authority - they simply felt that the authorities had broken the implicit social contract that said that sailors, especially experienced sailors, had a right to a minimum of good treatment and respect, and as soon as that contract was restored they would be happy to resubmit to authority. Most such mutinies began and ended peacefully, with a few of the ringleaders taking token punishments just to make it clear that the authorities WERE in charge (which they generally accepted), but with the demands of the mutineers generally being met. This started changing around the time of the Napoleonic Wars when the threat of La Revolution seemed to make every disagreement with leadership a precursor to the guillotine, not to mention changing cultural mores within the Royal Navy and wider British culture regarding the relationship between commanders and the commanded (to be brief, more authoritarian but also more paternal and with a closer eye to the welfare of the crew). Even going into the modern era, the French Army in WW1 was famously paralyzed by mutiny partway through, but critically the mutineers were perfectly willing to stay in the trenches and keep fighting if the Germans attacked - what they wanted was better treatment and an end to what they viewed as senseless offensives. Broadly speaking punishment was light and most of their demands were met.

The key thing I want to note is that mutiny is not NECESSARILY a deathblow to authority, even in situations where theoretically the leader has absolute power of life and death. However, a successful mutiny does demonstrate the real, practical limits of that authority - there's only so far you can push soldiers before they push back, and only so much you can ask of them. Critically, once you get to that point authority is frequently willing to back down because they're aware that if they did try to force the issue, they may very well shatter their authority entirely - maintaining the kayfabe and smoothing everything over afterwards is much easier and safer, usually. It also tends to illustrate just how dependent the authorities are on those they command - mutinies happened because the mutineers were extremely aware that if they refused to fight or work, their commanders were helpless. Mutineers had leverage, and were willing to use that leverage for better treatment, but generally were not interested in upending the social order entirely.

Of course, how this applies to Prigozhin is an interesting question - Wagner wasn't critical to the Russian war effort in such a way that refusal to fight would have paralyzed the Russian Army, their leverage was gained by an apparent willingness and ability to shoot their way through to Moscow. But if you think about it in terms of a direct relationship between Prigozhin and Putin it might make more sense - Prigozhin wanted to demonstrate that he couldn't be pushed too far, and that he had the means to fight back if pushed. Not necessarily enough to overthrow the state, but enough to make it inconvenient for Putin, and better to just give into his demands. If Prigozhin is left alive and unharmed, this wouldn't NECESSARILY mean that someone will overthrow Putin (everything about how Prigozhin isn't in a position to simply take over applies to almost everyone else), but it MAY mean that Putin's other power brokers start getting ideas about gaining more independence and autonomy in their own little fiefdoms - if Prigozhin could use the threat of force or non-compliance to gain concessions, why can't they? I suspect that would be the limits of many of their ambitions anyways - let Putin take on the thankless task of national leadership, while his vassals have greater reign to plunder and throw their weight around and generally live the good life.

So yeah, this started out being a somewhat rambly historical diversion but thinking about it now it's possible that what this will lead to isn't Putin getting toppled, but rather the Russian power structure getting even more feudalistic than it already is, with increasingly independent power brokers who don't necessarily want the top seat but do want to be able to act as they please. But I'm not actually a Kremlinologist or anything, just trying to make sense of what I'm seeing so, well, yeah.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Tigey posted:

his name always kept coming up in my peripheral vision as a 'Russia expert' that some people love to cite

he works more to promote himself on social media than actual experts, and has been doing so for longer than academics broke out of their bubble a bit and started using social media

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Tomn posted:

So yeah, this started out being a somewhat rambly historical diversion but thinking about it now it's possible that what this will lead to isn't Putin getting toppled, but rather the Russian power structure getting even more feudalistic than it already is, with increasingly independent power brokers who don't necessarily want the top seat but do want to be able to act as they please. But I'm not actually a Kremlinologist or anything, just trying to make sense of what I'm seeing so, well, yeah.

Isn’t that kinda how it is already?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

i am a moron posted:

Isn’t that kinda how it is already?

My understanding is that prior to the Ukrainian War, Putin held direct control, full stop - fiefdoms could be handed out and people could act within the limits of those fiefdoms, but they could also be taken away again at Putin's whim if the vassals misbehaved in some way. Prigozhin's mutiny might cause a change where increasingly Putin has less authority to be able to revoke fiefdoms at will, with all that implies.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Seeing stuff in retrospect, it doesn't sound so straightforward, but I'm still not convinced that uprising was a coup from the start. I'm trying to remember finer stuff from, say, Robert Duncan's Revolutions podcast where people just kind of found themselves holding the reins after everybody vacated. It can definitely happen.

I followed Prigozhin's statements the day of the mutiny, and it he specifically said it was not a declared coup or an act to depose the president from the beginning. Just a mutiny against the MoD. He specifically said he did not want to confront civilian government, or the army really. He just wanted to hang Shoigu in Red Square.Once there was an arrest warrant he kind of popped off and started ranting about "a new president/election" (paraphrasing here) but it didn't start as a coup at all. He also lies a lot so...

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ummel posted:

I followed Prigozhin's statements the day of the mutiny, and it he specifically said it was not a declared coup or an act to depose the president from the beginning. Just a mutiny against the MoD. He specifically said he did not want to confront civilian government. Once there was an arrest warrant he kind of popped off and started ranting about "a new president/election" (paraphrasing here) but it didn't start as a coup at all. He also lies a lot so...

i get the argument that the goals of this were more in line with a mutiny. but the thing is, the sort of mutiny that people are talking about that's not overly destructive to the regime are essentially strikes. and this...was not that. even if the plan was basically to be a strike, even if he had no intention of an actual coup, he still marched on moscow and got most of the way there and demonstrated the state could not effectively stop him short of the gates of moscow.

that is what's so destabilizing and the fact that in his head he was thinking mutiny and not coup doesn't really affect that, from the perspective of the stability of the state, this was absolutely in the coup camp.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Charliegrs posted:

true crime podcasts are really popular these days

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

"He didn't want to overthrow the government, he just wanted to hang them in Red Square"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Chalks posted:

Here's a former KGB agent calling the government "weak" on state TV

https://twitter.com/VladaKnowlton/status/1673337534435274752

That sounds a lot like manufacturing consent as a basis for backtracking on the supposed deal. After all, the tsar can't go against the will of the people.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

evilweasel posted:

i get the argument that the goals of this were more in line with a mutiny. but the thing is, the sort of mutiny that people are talking about that's not overly destructive to the regime are essentially strikes. and this...was not that. even if the plan was basically to be a strike, even if he had no intention of an actual coup, he still marched on moscow and got most of the way there and demonstrated the state could not effectively stop him short of the gates of moscow.

that is what's so destabilizing and the fact that in his head he was thinking mutiny and not coup doesn't really affect that, from the perspective of the stability of the state, this was absolutely in the coup camp.

It is interesting I'll note that Prigozhin's latest statement, posted above, really really wants to emphasize that the march was mostly peaceful, downplaying whatever violence DID happen, and that it was supposedly fundamentally called off "to avoid shedding the blood of Russian soldiers." It also wanted to emphasize that it wasn't actually about overthrowing Russia's leaders.

You're not wrong that actions are more important than what was in Prigozhin's head, but it does seem like Prigozhin really, REALLY wants to walk back any idea that this was a coup.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

qhat posted:

"He didn't want to overthrow the government, he just wanted to hang them in Red Square"

Priggy is a man of many conflicting ideas. And also a liar of epic proportions.

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1673346277814198275

quote:

Summary of Prigozhin's 26 June address to clarify the situation: it was to demonstrate protest against the "destruction of PMC Wagner, not toppling the Russian authorities":

What were the prerequisites for the March for Justice?
- PMC Wagner carries out tasks around the world. It was meant to stop existing on 1 July 2023. “Employees” all refused to sign the contract with MoD, only 1-2% decided to join the Russian army.

- The original plan was to go to Rostov on 30 July and transfer all vehicles to MoD, which were ready for transport.

- Despite any aggression, Wagner suffered a missile attack, followed by helicopter attack. Around 30 PMC Wagner fighters died. This triggered an immediate decision to move out early and respond militarily.

- Throughout the 24-hour march, one column went to Moscow, another to Rostov. They made 780 km of progress in one day. They regret being forced to attack the army aircraft but the bombs were dropped which caused the response. During the march, all military objects on the way were blocked and disarmed. None of the military have died on the ground.

- The objective was to not allow destruction of Wagner and take to responsiblity those who with their unprofessional actions made a huge number of mistakes during the SMO. All the military met along the way supported this.

- Wagner stopped when the advanced storm unit deployed artillery, conducted reconnaissance and realised a lot of blood will be shed in an upcoming battle. They decided that demonstration of the protest was enough, and turned around.

- Factors that made Wagner turn around: first, they didn’t want to shed Russian blood. Secondly, they wanted to demonstrate their portest, not overtake the authority in Russia.

- Lukashenko offered to find solutions for further legal operation of Wagner legally. Columns turned aroound and went back to field camps.

- The march showed many things demonstrated before. Serious secruity concerns around the country. All military bases and airfields were blocked.

- If actions on 24 Feb 2022 were done by forces as trained as Wagner, the special operation could have ended in 1 day. This shows the level of organisation that the Russian army should be following.

ummel fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 26, 2023

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

ummel posted:

I think it's more likely he's just an idiot who has no idea what an actual coup is.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

qhat posted:

I think it's more likely he's just an idiot who has no idea what an actual coup is.

He probably does, but for the sake of not having polonium in his mouthwash or shower beer, he is also trying to publicly rules-lawyer the difference between mutiny, coup, brouhaha, and disagreement.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009
Pieces that might not be tied together but do raise questions:

Why was it Lukashenko that had to broker the deal?

Why is it Belarus that Prigozhin is exiled to? It's still well within Russia's sphere of direct influence, and it's another place at extreme risk of armed uprising

With the potential connecting piece; Russia just moved a bunch of their nukes into Belarus. They claim it's for deterring invasion, by either Ukraine or NATO, but while that's good propaganda food the guys actually making these decisions must know it doesn't make any difference to that purpose.

So why did they really move nukes into Belarus? We now know Putin has surprisingly tight limits on enforcing his will over some of his vassals. Was this a security payment to keep Luka in line? Is that leverage now why Luka apparently had the ability to make this deal, and Prigozhin could have some confidence it had real weight?

I thought the economic issues would be the cause of Russia eating itself right about now, but I guess I should have bet on self-destructive feudal power dynamics.

EDIT:

qhat posted:

As baffling as his "oops sorry no coup" is, one does not conquer a city, shoot down several aircraft and get to the outskirts of Moscow with a small army, and LIVE (so far) to tell about it as an idiot. In fact this makes him look significantly smarter than Putin; Prigozhin stuck his hand in the fire but pulled it out before getting burned. Putin's cuffed his hands to the spit roast with this war. It's baffling but it still shows a lot of political and tactical intelligence.

Orthanc6 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 26, 2023

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

qhat posted:

Wagner's Unvollendete

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Hannibal Rex posted:

Wagner's Unvollendete

Thread title, that's gold

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

ummel posted:

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1673346277814198275

Pretty sure they only killed some soldiers in the air, so technically not untrue.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
:nms: --- Russia bombing Russia. I am curious if those big trucks are as civilian as they look?
https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1673367544323874816
(This is less disturbing than another clip I saw yesterday, where the car was way closer).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

OddObserver posted:

:nms: --- Russia bombing Russia. I am curious if those big trucks are as civilian as they look?
https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1673367544323874816
(This is less disturbing than another clip I saw yesterday, where the car was way closer).

So much for bloodless on both sides. It also makes me think that the Voronezh tank farm that got demolished was a clear denial strike and not a stray Strela igniting the whole thing up.