Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

It's not directed at anybody in this thread I just miss 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Retvrn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOWUbQWUGoU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

this cover was amazing and it was so great live too

not surprising as CB always kills it live

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
Cherry Glazerr and Portugal the man covered that song too and it’s pretty good, but man what a weird/unexpected collab

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib

oh god oh gently caress posted:

It's not directed at anybody in this thread I just miss 2017

If you miss 2017 era Charly Bliss I’d highly recommend checking out Momma if you haven’t already

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Pitchfork kind of sucks for rock music reviews at this point; they've gotten better for everything else but they still put on this whole "we don't like Dad Rock, we swear" act. You're basically guaranteed nothing higher than a 7 unless, possibly, you're Radiohead. Their review of the new Foo Fighters was the most irritating and patronizing "backhanded compliment" thing ever. At some point in the late 2000s they turned up the "rap and pop music are legitimate, actually" dial and never bothered to turn it back at all.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 25, 2023

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Big City Drinkin posted:

If you miss 2017 era Charly Bliss I’d highly recommend checking out Momma if you haven’t already

Heard em before and they seem good but a little more low energy than Charly

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Big City Drinkin posted:

household name is an absolutely killer album

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuOv_VZrnM8

Has Momma vibes too.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

honestly i was really bummed to hear this song. i really liked Charly Bliss when they were a rock band but it seems like they'd prefer to do this like b-grade Carly Rae Jepsen impression instead. maaaybe there'll be good songs on the new album but i'm not holding my breath.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Sir Lemming posted:

Pitchfork kind of sucks for rock music reviews at this point; they've gotten better for everything else but they still put on this whole "we don't like Dad Rock, we swear" act. You're basically guaranteed nothing higher than a 7 unless, possibly, you're Radiohead. Their review of the new Foo Fighters was the most irritating and patronizing "backhanded compliment" thing ever. At some point in the late 2000s they turned up the "rap and pop music are legitimate, actually" dial and never bothered to turn it back at all.

To be fair for the latest Foo Fighters record you could just copy and paste the review for the previous record and it would have done. No review is actually going to matter for it.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Bright Bart posted:

I don't think it's super cool in this thread to call people out for liking things so I'll just say

I don't know what that is. But it would never play in a Starbucks and it's certainly not NPR approved.

Cough

https://youtu.be/sc6WMuTSP1Q

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Hahahaha

I'm so happy I was wrong.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Their pop songs on the second album weren't a great direction for the band (and increasingly bad in hindsight) but capacity and chatroom are still miles ahead of this single

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Bright Bart posted:

I just discovered Phoebe Bridgers.

Check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ9-xN6dCW4

this is legitimately one of the greatest songs I have ever heard

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Bright Bart posted:

I just discovered Phoebe Bridgers.

Check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ9-xN6dCW4
It starts off as a typical ballad and not particularly special. You can play it in the background while browsing. Then a couple of minutes in it becomes something else entirely. A minute after that it becomes Come on Feel the Illinoise!

Sadly I think this is only song where PB channels Sufjan Stevens.

And you know how I said you can let it play in the background? Well you can. But know that the top comment on YouTube as of right now is "didn't expect to see phoebe bridgers dressed as a skeleton while she passionately kisses an elderly woman but here we are".

This is literally the only Phoebe Bridgers song that isn't mid.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Still very mid tho

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

You're sounding like teenagers, which is ironic since that's the demographic she writes for and they love her

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
The real irony is that she’s writing for teenagers but it’s hard to imagine it appealing to anyone who isn’t in hospice care

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

i am a moron posted:

The real irony is that she’s writing for teenagers but it’s hard to imagine it appealing to anyone who isn’t in hospice care

I'm gonna steal this. I will post this somewhere else on the internet or in a screenplay. You will get no credit.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Seems like she appeals to quite a few people actually.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Song is growing on me like crazy.I dare say it's a bop

:colbert:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
People who don’t like phoebe bridgers make it their whole personality

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Like most polarizing artists, she's actually just fine to pretty good.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Henchman of Santa posted:

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

The REAL Goobusters posted:

People who don’t like phoebe bridgers make it their whole personality

What a fantastically bizarre take, I’m sure I’m not alone in never having to hear about/discuss her music outside of this thread

Henchman of Santa posted:

She commits the sin of making incredibly boring, if otherwise totally listenable, music

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I definitely encounter a lot more people who make liking her/boygenius their whole personality than the opposite, though the latter is definitely a reaction to the former.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

i am a moron posted:

What a fantastically bizarre take, I’m sure I’m not alone in never having to hear about/discuss her music outside of this thread

She commits the sin of making incredibly boring, if otherwise totally listenable, music

Totally normal response

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

It is a normal response, yea. Accusing people who don’t like her music of ‘making it part of their personality’ is a little strange imo. I barely have the time to make the one band I really love part of my personality, let alone incorporating some music I don’t like into that

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

i am a moron posted:

It is a normal response, yea. Accusing people who don’t like her music of ‘making it part of their personality’ is a little strange imo. I barely have the time to make the one band I really love part of my personality, let alone incorporating some music I don’t like into that

You’re acting like this is the first time you post like this. It’s not, I remember. I get it man you really don’t like phoebe bridgers.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

The REAL Goobusters posted:

You’re acting like this is the first time you post like this. It’s not, I remember. I get it man you really don’t like phoebe bridgers.

You can actually see all my posts in this thread. Other than one about Boygenius being grocery store music, I have never posted about her before

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Agreed.

(I like boygenius and all three individualy, but if forced to rank, it’s Dacus, baker, bridgers)

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I think a big thing is right now, she's all over the place. You can't listen to indie music without running into her. And that naturally lends itself to a bit of backlash.

She's good. She writes good songs, and when she's pushed beyond the acoustic guitar led sad ballads, like on Kyoto, she makes really compelling music. At worst, she makes pleasant music that doesn't stand out.

At least she's not Radiohead.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Speaking of which I think it’s time to rank the Radiohead albums

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Speaking of which I think it’s time to rank the Radiohead albums

Everything from The Bends to In Rainbows, great. Everything after, not good.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Phony Midgers.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Nihonniboku posted:

Everything from The Bends to In Rainbows, great. Everything after, not good.

I like King of Limbs and Moon shaped Pool better than Hail to the Thief but that’s just me perhaps.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Ambitious Spider posted:

butt if forced to rank, it’s Dacus, baker, bridgers)

Dacus - Best voice of the three by far. And at least a few of her songs are upbeat? e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gzI7bWaEBA

Baker - Best instrumentalist of the three by far. And as I mentioned so awkward it wraps back around to being unimaginably cool on stage.

Bridgers - Best overall solo body of work, so far at least. And a gateway to the others for new fans. Also goes at Eric Clapton and John Lennon on an album with at least some minimal Cream and Beatles influences.

(Don't look that last one up it's incredibly disrepectful and I listen to battle rap.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Dacus’ part on “not strong enough” gives me goosebumps every time I hear it, so good.